PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS3 EU + FF Games?

Discord
05-08-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm thinking about getting the European Version of PS3. Now this being a pretty big buy, my question is does FFX, FFX-2 (yes, I know it's crap) and FFXII work on it? If yes, how bad/good is the quality of the output?

I know that there are a plenty of sites about this with all sorts of ratings, however it seems that some give all 5 stars while some only give 2. The question being, do you have a EU-PS3 and have you ever tried playing the above listed games on it.

I know they all work fine in US, but to make this perfectly clear, that's not the issue.

Renmiri
05-08-2007, 08:38 PM
All 3 work perfectly on my US bought PS3. See the videos of it at Youtube

YouTube - FFXII - Ogir Yensa Sandsea Cutscenes - No Spoilers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M99o_Ck2W9s) XII on my PS3

YouTube - FFX Opening - To Zanarkand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh_iLuzBzB4) X on my PS3

Discord
05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
All 3 work perfectly on my US bought PS3. See the videos of it at Youtube

YouTube - FFXII - Ogir Yensa Sandsea Cutscenes - No Spoilers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M99o_Ck2W9s) XII on my PS3

YouTube - FFX Opening - To Zanarkand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh_iLuzBzB4) X on my PS3

Thanks, but from what I've read the EU version differs from the US one. Apparently the US one supports most PS2 games, while the EU one supports "some". There's a chip in the US one which isn't present in the European edition.

EDIT: Could it be that it actually look better than on the PS2? Once again, thanks a bunch for the upload.

Little Blue
05-08-2007, 09:05 PM
The PAL consoles do backwards compatability by emulation rather than hardware like the NTSC consoles. I dunno what the quality's like though, I hope it can still run all my PSX and PS2 games

Discord
05-08-2007, 09:13 PM
The PAL consoles do backwards compatability by emulation rather than hardware like the NTSC consoles. I dunno what the quality's like though, I hope it can still run all my PSX and PS2 games

Meh, that's just what I'm wondering about. If it can run those three games, I'll probably get it. If not, I'll get a PS2 from ebay and get it a year later. The games for the PS3 are still so-so.

Mirage
05-09-2007, 12:54 PM
The EU PS3 can play most PS2 games, there should be a list on Wikipedia. Note that while PS3 games are not region locked, the PS3 will not play PS2 games from other regions.

Finding this took me 13.6 seconds. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Backward_compatibility)

Discord
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
[...]Finding this took me 13.6 seconds. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Backward_compatibility)

Good stuff. The fact that it uses software emulation, of which I am aware, doesn't answer my question. I'd like to know what the definition of "minor" or "major" emulation problems means. Screenshots or videos, or the experiences of somebody who played the games on a EU console, would be nice.

[...]Note that while PS3 games are not region locked[...]

I didn't know that. I thought that all Bluerays were split into three compatibility zones, but I guess that applies on for the video ones. Good to know though.

Baloki
05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
According to Sony newer PS2 games will be rather buggy on the EU PS3 as they require more computing power as the European PS3 only has software emulation, not hardware emulation, so FFXII is most likely not to work too well, I dunno about FFX or it's sequel but personally I fell those games should be tossed on a bonfire.

If you go to the official Sony PS3 site there is actually a list of all the PS2 games that work on PS3 and how buggy they will be, I think the wikipedia artical posted earlier probably has a cross section of them posted.

Mirage
05-09-2007, 11:55 PM
[...]Finding this took me 13.6 seconds. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation_3#Backward_compatibility)

Good stuff. The fact that it uses software emulation, of which I am aware, doesn't answer my question. I'd like to know what the definition of "minor" or "major" emulation problems means. Screenshots or videos, or the experiences of somebody who played the games on a EU console, would be nice.

I didn't know that. I thought that all Bluerays were split into three compatibility zones, but I guess that applies on for the video ones. Good to know though.

There should be a link to a Sony site on that page, with a detailed list over all games, even different versions of the same game, and how well they work, with "works, but lots of glitches" to " works flawlessly".

Renmiri
05-10-2007, 12:11 AM
EDIT: Could it be that it actually look better than on the PS2? Once again, thanks a bunch for the upload.

Yes they do!!! I had both my old PS2 and the PS3 connected to the same TV and the difference is amazing!

Ps3 makes X and XII and every other game I tried a lot better!

EDIT: And yes it is true. Darn PS3 refused to play my Japanese FFX2 :(

Discord
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM

There should be a link to a Sony site on that page, with a detailed list over all games, even different versions of the same game, and how well they work, with "works, but lots of glitches" to " works flawlessly".

There are quite a few, but while "flawlessly" is pretty straight forward, "lots of glitches" can mean anything between random pixels appearing once every 5 minutes to Tidus looking like Squal. That's why I'm asking. Thanks for your input nevertheless.

That's actually pretty cool Renmiri. Thanks for the info. I hate (how did I typo that) hope it's also the case on the EU edition.=)

Rostum
05-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Once again, PAL regions get screwed over! :(

Mirage
05-10-2007, 01:48 AM
Tidus looking like Squall would have been an improvement :p.

Discord
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Says a guy with Tidus in his avy field.=]

Once again, PAL regions get screwed over! :(

Well, I could just as well order a PS3, the TV and all the games from the US, since I need all three. That'd pretty much take away the point of being able to play PS2 games on it though.

I just hope it's significantly better than the PCSX2 emulation.

Renmiri
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM

:p It's fashionable to diss Tidus :p

Mirage
05-10-2007, 05:48 PM

Fails for not knowing why :p.

JKTrix
05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
If not, I'll get a PS2 from ebay and get it a year later. The games for the PS3 are still so-so.

The Winner.

The best person to ask about PAL PS3 stuff is Dreddz, as he has a PS3 now. He may even have the FFs you seek, and he may be able to test them out. If he can peel himself away from VF5.

Discord
05-10-2007, 10:42 PM
If not, I'll get a PS2 from ebay and get it a year later. The games for the PS3 are still so-so.

The Winner.

The best person to ask about PAL PS3 stuff is Dreddz, as he has a PS3 now. He may even have the FFs you seek, and he may be able to test them out. If he can peel himself away from VF5.

Thanks for the tip. I PMed him.

Fails for not knowing why :p.

Always happy to find out.=]

Dreddz
05-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Both FFX and X-2 work fine on a PAL PS3. Sony says that they both work fine but have noticeable issues. Im not sure about X-2, as I havent popped it in yet. But FFX worked great. Maybe even better than the PS2. Its the cinema's which looked better, the in game graphics look identical.

You shouldnt worry about either FFX and X-2, but do take note that other PS2 games dont work so fine. Ive ran into a few games which dont work so well. Which is why its safe to keep your PS2 nicely settled next to your PS3.

Discord
05-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Both FFX and X-2 work fine on a PAL PS3. Sony says that they both work fine but have noticeable issues. Im not sure about X-2, as I havent popped it in yet. But FFX worked great. Maybe even better than the PS2. Its the cinema's which looked better, the in game graphics look identical.

You shouldnt worry about either FFX and X-2, but do take note that other PS2 games dont work so fine. Ive ran into a few games which dont work so well. Which is why its safe to keep your PS2 nicely settled next to your PS3.

Alright, thanks a huge bunch for the quick reply, Dreddz! That's just what I wanted to know.:tongue:

Also thanks a lot to everybody else who contributed to this thread. I think I've got it sorted out.:p

:ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: :ty: