PDA

View Full Version : Breaks my heart

Cloudane
05-08-2007, 08:44 PM
I changed my bog standard telly for a flatscreen. Not a problem you'd think...

Well it doesn't support the video mode that PS1 games use, they end up really flickery and unplayable. No more FF7-FF9, waaaaaah!

silentenigma
05-11-2007, 01:28 AM
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/thumb/8/8f/PleaseCutRevised.png/180px-PleaseCutRevised.png

Cloudane
05-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Down the street, not across it ;)

Renmiri
05-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Please don't teach people how to "do it right" :mad:

bipper
05-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I changed my bog standard telly for a flatscreen. Not a problem you'd think...

Well it doesn't support the video mode that PS1 games use, they end up really flickery and unplayable. No more FF7-FF9, waaaaaah!

It is illegal, but I would suggest a SONY Playstation emulator for the PC. Why the hell doesn't SONY release one, like BLEEM! only legal and free. It would be some relatively easy revenue for the struggling conglomerate.

Amen :) I see the joke, but yeah. I agree.

Cloudane
05-11-2007, 07:58 PM
If anyone is stupid enough to follow such instructions off a thread on a board about a fictional game series on the internet, they...

anyway.

Actually emulators are legal I believe, so long as you rip the ROM off your own PS (and not download it). It's just not the same though, I've never seen the PAL version of FF7 working 100% perfectly on an emulator. Better than nothing I suppose...

tailz
05-11-2007, 08:03 PM
using an emulator and rom is perfectly legal as long as you own the game and platform.

kthxbye

MikeL Valentine
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
using an emulator and rom is perfectly legal as long as you own the game and platform.

kthxbye

Acually, as long as you own the copy of the game and the bios of the console :rolleyes2

bipper
05-11-2007, 08:15 PM

kthxbye

Nope, they are still illegal. The terms of use always have a clause against duplicating the data on the disk/hardware in any shape or form. It is also illegal to back up DVD movies you own, or musical CDs you own. This is the effect of numerous judgments held up by the supreme court of 1997, I believe.

( I think the same law upholds in most countries that enforce international copyright)

silentenigma
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
morals > legality

Sony is no longer making money off of the PS1, so I would go for it.

darksword12
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM

I think it's pretty widely known.

Cloudane
05-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Source: EPSXe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPSXe)

ePSXe also requires the use of a BIOS file dumped from a PlayStation. This is to avoid a legal problem, as it is copyright infringement to provide the Sony's BIOS for download, and unlike some other emulators, ePSXe cannot high-level emulate the BIOS. Technically, the only legal way to use ePSXe is to dump the BIOS from a PlayStation you own.

Exactly as I said.

Whether the recent DMCA law changes things is another matter...

Copying the disc itself isn't an issue - emulators will generally play directly from the original.

.:kerrod:.
05-12-2007, 05:49 AM
am i missing something here? get a ps2! i probably sound incredibly stupid because i may have missed something...but that's the obvious solution, why, i have a ps2 and just beat FF7 again the other day, i effin' love that game. BTW: i fully support emulators

Slothy
05-12-2007, 02:35 PM
It is illegal, but I would suggest a SONY Playstation emulator for the PC. Why the hell doesn't SONY release one, like BLEEM! only legal and free. It would be some relatively easy revenue for the struggling conglomerate.

I would love to see you explain how releasing a free emulator would make money.

Anyway, I find it odd that your TV wouldn't support the video signal from your PSX. I mean I would think pretty much any TV has to accept a standard definition signal like that. First thing to check would be that you have the TV setup properly. Actually, the first thing to check would probably be that it's on the right channel/video mode. Is there anything else you can tell us, like how you're connecting it to the TV?

If nothing works then you may have to get a PS2 or something. Not a bad idea really given the numerous amazing titles you're missing out on if you don't already have one.

Cloudane
05-13-2007, 01:01 AM
am i missing something here? get a ps2! i probably sound incredibly stupid because i may have missed something...but that's the obvious solution, why, i have a ps2 and just beat FF7 again the other day, i effin' love that game. BTW: i fully support emulators

Both the PS1 and PS2 have the same video output for PS1 games. Trust me I've tried 1) The PS2 (tried this first of course), 2) A PSone and 3) An original grey PSX. I've also tried both Scart and composite (Yellow/Red/White). Ain't no getting offa this train...

Slothy
05-13-2007, 01:40 AM
What kind of TV is it? It makes no sense to me that it wouldn't display games properly if it accepts the actual cables you hook the system up with.

Cloudane
05-14-2007, 12:26 AM
Relisys RLT1720. Widescreen TFT, combined TV and PC monitor.

I know what I'm doing, I'm not daft, and have been round the menus 100 times for good measure. It simply doesn't support that video mode. It works fine with PS2 games, which are clearly a different mode.

I'd venture a guess that it's some form of interlacing that this particular model of TFT can't handle properly (CRTs work by drawing one line at a time at a rapid rate. LCDs have to interperet this and display the whole screen in one go)

Slothy
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
I know what I'm doing, I'm not daft, and have been round the menus 100 times for good measure. It simply doesn't support that video mode.

I wasn't implying you didn't know what you were doing, and you may be right about the video mode not being supported. But when given no indication of someones level of knowledge on the subject when they ask for help, you can't just assume they know a lot about it. I figured it was worth asking what type of TV/monitor you were using as well since it makes it easier to help you find out if there's a way to get it to display PSX games, particularly if someone on here happens to have it as well.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with that particular brand, and a quick search of the net has turned up nothing useful. I guess I won't be able to help solve the problem.

Cloudane
05-14-2007, 03:24 PM
I'm not attacking you, sorry if it seemed that way, was merely pointing out that I do have a reasonable level of knowledge :)

I do appreciate your efforts but, as initially said, there ain't no getting around this monitor. I've googled it to death, very few people have this monitor and those that do are not FF players sadly. If I had the space I'd put a normal telly there alongside it...

bipper
05-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Both the PS1 and PS2 have the same video output for PS1 games. Trust me I've tried 1) The PS2 (tried this first of course), 2) A PSone and 3) An original grey PSX. I've also tried both Scart and composite (Yellow/Red/White). Ain't no getting offa this train...

hrm, so wiki disagrees. Check a reputable sight, and then get back to me. I am looking in the booklet that comes with my PS2 and it is in the standard legal jargon in the back of my book. However, you do stand correct in saying that the emulator is LEGAL. The bios can be reimplimented from reverse engineering VIRGINS, much like compaq did when it stole the IBM architecture, but that is a legaleese move that is rather hard to accomplish. However, downloading the BIOS from your machine is illegal, as it is the direct duplication and therefore "manipulation of the product for use than is otherwise intended"

I would love to see you point out where I said a FREE emulator. :P I am saying, like BLEEM! did (well initially), they could sell the emulation unit for 100 buck, and I would buy it. I am sure others would too, just to give their computer the ability to play the older games ~ and being that the PS3 is no longer backward compatable.

morals > legality

Sony is no longer making money off of the PS1, so I would go for it. This is basically saying that you know more and are above the democratic republic that voted these laws into place. Which, I do not mind if this is how you feel, but it seems rather ungrateful. That aside, I do agree to a point. I really do reject the over-zealous copyright, trademarking, and brand protection we have provided these conglomerates with.

Slothy
05-14-2007, 07:39 PM

I would love to see you point out where I said a FREE emulator. :P

Ahem:

Why the hell doesn't SONY release one, like BLEEM! only legal and free.

You may have meant something different, but that's what you wrote. :p

And the PS3 is backwards compatible in North America (I don't think they've taken the emotion engine out of those units yet though I may be wrong), and through emulation in Europe (even if it's not fully backwards compatible, it's got most of the major titles with more to come).

bipper
05-14-2007, 07:46 PM

I would love to see you point out where I said a FREE emulator. :P

Ahem:

Why the hell doesn't SONY release one, like BLEEM! only legal and free.

You may have meant something different, but that's what you wrote. :p

And the PS3 is backwards compatible in North America (I don't think they've taken the emotion engine out of those units yet though I may be wrong), and through emulation in Europe (even if it's not fully backwards compatible, it's got most of the major titles with more to come).

lol oh, yeah - gotchya. :skull::skull::skull::skull:. :) Yeap, I did mean except legal and not free there kinda thing. :love:

joshua2412
05-14-2007, 08:06 PM

kthxbye

Nope, they are still illegal. The terms of use always have a clause against duplicating the data on the disk/hardware in any shape or form. It is also illegal to back up DVD movies you own, or musical CDs you own. This is the effect of numerous judgments held up by the supreme court of 1997, I believe.

( I think the same law upholds in most countries that enforce international copyright)

Um, it is most definitely NOT illegal to make back up copies of CD's you own, hence the reason Itunes has an import function to allow you to rip tracks off your CD. Once you own the CD or music files (if bought off itunes or a similar vendor) you have the right to back them up in case the disc or files become damaged and/or unusable.

Cloudane
05-14-2007, 08:31 PM
hrm, so wiki disagrees. Check a reputable sight

It's one more source than you cited (and perfectly reputable). Why should I do all the work?

bipper
05-14-2007, 08:39 PM
It is a blurry topic there bud. It is illegal, but the Fair Use act seems to create enough friction to where it very well could be tested at the Supreme Court, but it has yet to. The simple answer, is yes, it is illegal - especially when it is written in the EULA or TOU/A when you buy the product. Also, breaking encryption or changing the type of file (from CDA to Mp3) is definitely illegal; However, it is much like J-walking in the middle of a residential low traffic street. It is illegal (usually) but I don't think anyone will sue you for it, really.

I know there was a 2003 case in Canada that says it is legal to backup data you purchased no matter what, while Norway actually calls the Itunes illegal, as America is on the road to doing.

Let me explain: MGM vs. Grokster is a rather recent court case that stated People can rip music to their computer, then to their Ipods, as you stated. This IS illegal, but was rather over looked by the RIAA, whom now is changing their stance, and that is all they have to do, legally. This is simply because it IS illegal, but they decided to turn a blind eye to the issue, but after this court case, should it go through, it would be illegal and enforced.

A copy of the settlement of MGM Vs Grokster
http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/MGM_v_Grokster/04-480.pdf
RIAA's Stance
EFF: DeepLinks (http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004409.php)

Now, what you are talking about here, is a whole different animal. I think the way you were looking at it is fine, as it was previously not enforced. However, in recent news, it may be. It has, however, always been rather illegal. The EFF is a group fighting to protect our rights to our digital media, and they are the best source for this type of information that I have.

hrm, so wiki disagrees. Check a reputable sight

It's one more source than you cited (and perfectly reputable). Why should I do all the work?

yeah, I cited some now. And I was poking more fun at Wiki than you there. :cool: Ah yeah, on the PS issue, I know sony has declared it misuse of their product, and if you read the history of CompaQ computers you will see just how illegal the ripping and modifying of a BIOS can be

Cloudane
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Mm, it is a very grey area.

My personal opinion is that there are so many loopholes and conflicting laws that a good lawyer working for either side could probably lead a case to either conclusion - or failing that, drag it on for so long that both parties die of old age before it's resolved anyway :)

However the (in)famous Sony vs. Connectix (http://digital-law-online.info/cases/53PQ2D1705.htm) case is often regarded as the legalisation of emulation (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/EmuFAQ2000/AppendixB.htm) - at least up until recently

Edit: Ah, now here's the clincher, caught out by my own source haha. Having read that second link further, it does say that emulation is only legal if it doesn't rely on a ROM dump - the developer can reverse engineer using a ROM dump to his heart's content, so long as the final product doesn't require it (according to this one source anyway)

The DMCA is another matter entirely and may well turn things around. As far as I can make out from here: Chilling Effects Clearinghouse: Reverse Engineering (http://www.chillingeffects.org/reverse/) it is illegal if protection measures have to be circumvented in order to get the working BIOS to work from.

As far as I'm aware, the old PSX BIOS isn't protected in any such way, and regardless it was released long before the DMCA was even dreamt up. (Well, in my case the EU Copyright Directive).

It's true, of course, that if there is a clause in the EULA telling you not to rip the BIOS, then... well, you can't rip the BIOS, it's a breach of contract. I don't believe such a clause was in the PSX EULA even if it's in the PS2 or PS3 one.... but I don't have any proof of that so make of it what you will...

joshua2412
05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I know there was a 2003 case in Canada that says it is legal to backup data you purchased no matter what, while Norway actually calls the Itunes illegal, as America is on the road to doing.

Ok, your right it's definitely a grey area. However, the reason Norway declared Itunes illegal has nothing to do with the way it backs up files or rips cd's. It was declared illegal b/c the songs you purchased through it were only playable through their Ipod machines, and not other MP3 players/devices.

This has to do with consumer protection, not copyright laws. Apple will have to give over the formula to other companies so that they're music players can play them, or they will face bans in other countries as well.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1fc40360-abe9-11db-a0ed-0000779e2340.html (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1fc40360-abe9-11db-a0ed-0000779e2340.html)

bipper
05-15-2007, 05:33 AM
The NES and newer consoles all have such clauses in their EULA. What will really cook your noodle, is whether or not these EULAs are even valid. There is a lawsuit I heard of going up against SOE or some online company that will test the true value of a EULA. And RESALE equipment cannot be held to EULA. So yeah, that is a decent loophole, if I have ever seen one.