Things done:

- turned on file sharing
- put all pcs on same workgroup
- shared folders
- reboot

Can't ping, can't browse \\pcname

What am I missing?

edit: OS's : windows XP, windows server 2k3

More randomness: I put a file on a share. I can't access \\thiscomputer\thisshare either o.O
even more randomness: I checked my 2nd xp machine (I have 2 xp 2 server2k3) -- the xp machine can access the share \\othercomp

Discord
05-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Are you sure that you've got all the protocols activated on the clients end? This tends to be a problem quite often.http://maxgrin.front.ru/garrett_bow_emoticon.gif

Peegee
05-09-2007, 11:44 PM
For windows server 2k3 I don't, which is why I'm asking for help. I've never set up sharing on this. On XP and below it was so easy.

What should I be checking for?

ShunNakamura
05-10-2007, 01:58 AM
For windows server 2k3 I don't, which is why I'm asking for help. I've never set up sharing on this. On XP and below it was so easy.

What should I be checking for?

<span style="color:#FFCCFF">
I don't recall doing anything exra for windows 2003 to set up a share. Double check to make sure the Windows firewall is off(well I always turn it off because it gives me more headaches than it relieves(that and I got a better firewall app anways)).

The fact that you can't ping makes me suspect it is a firewall type issue. However, remember, in an NTFS file system there are two sets of securities that must be set appropriately for sharing to work. You have the Share options and the Security; the more restrictive settings are applied.
</span>

Baloki
05-11-2007, 12:45 PM
You need to run the Home Networking Wizard else Windows can't actually recognise it's on a network, :skull::skull::skull::skull: I know but a step that has to be done. Also you might want to try browsing out of the workgroup and back in then refreshing. Finally try restarting while the other computer doesn't have My Network Places Open.

Oh and check that all the networking stuff is active in Add/Remove Programs > Windows Components.

Peegee
05-12-2007, 06:02 AM
You need to run the Home Networking Wizard else Windows can't actually recognise it's on a network, :skull::skull::skull::skull: I know but a step that has to be done. Also you might want to try browsing out of the workgroup and back in then refreshing. Finally try restarting while the other computer doesn't have My Network Places Open.

Oh and check that all the networking stuff is active in Add/Remove Programs > Windows Components.

I almost feel ashamed to ask but where is the home networking wizard in windows server 2k3? It's not in 'my network places' like I was told by other ppl :p

Mirage
05-12-2007, 07:29 AM
I've never needed to run the home networking wizard to get network access, and I reinstalled it three times yesterday :p.

Might be a silly question, but are you sure all the PCs have correct TCP/IP settings, and that the hardware is in order?

Baloki
05-12-2007, 09:22 AM

I almost feel ashamed to ask but where is the home networking wizard in windows server 2k3? It's not in 'my network places' like I was told by other ppl :p

Win 2k3 probably doesn't have a home networking wizard as it's a server, you'd probably need to run a similar wizard though but I don't know what it'd be called :(