PDA

View Full Version : dragonball z

Xalibar
05-10-2007, 04:58 AM
Is the recently released box set the same as the japanese? By that i mean is it like the japanese verison just with english dialogue, considering how anime is awhile back when things were edited and cut and such. I know it says uncensored but i was just wondering, if any changes were still made, because sometimes uncensored my just be referring to the violence.

JKTrix
05-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Lookit.

http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/96674-dbz-remastered.html

I have the first one already (Vegeta on the cover), and the 2nd box set (Goku on the cover) should be on its way to me in a couple of weeks.

It is 'uncut' in the sense that there is no content missing, and it is uncensored. Roshi breast grabbing and drunk naked Gohan are displayed.

One of the cooler things about it is that you can watch it with the English voices, but with the original Japanese music.

Big downside for me is the Widescreen presentation, which does cut a bit off the top and bottom. I do see in some scenes where there is more stuff visual than usual because of the aspect ratio, but other times it's clear that the top is cut when you can't see the top of Goku's wild hair.

Still, I'd easily reccomend it to any casual or serious DBZ fan. It's worth having, and it looks like this will be the definitive DBZ collection.

For a Hardcore fan (self included), I hear that the crazy expensive "Dragon Box" DBZ set is the real deal. I will get that one day when I am rich in both monies and Japanese fluency--it's a Japan Only thing.

Edit: Here's a link to the Amazon Japan listing for the Dragon Box set. (http://www.amazon.co.jp/DRAGON-BALL-DVD-BOX-VOL-2/dp/B00007ELLX/ref=pd_bbs_3/249-7617574-1008355?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1178803020&sr=8-3) Amazon themselves don't have it in stock, but if you're familiar with how Amazon lists their stuff, they show 'This product is available from other retails for This Price'--and they start with the lowest price. The price displayed there, the lowest price, is 79,000 Yen. That's 655.579 US Dollars today. That's the lowest. If you click it, the prices go all the way up to 315,000 JPY/2,600 USD. That's an entire trip to Japan.

Fatal Impurity
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Damn i wish they would make it adjustable...so you could have the original jap voices with english subs and being able to have either the music of our localisation or the japanese originals...you know make it so everyones preferances are sorted out! Plus i think its dumb that it only comes in widescreen...4:3 for the win!

JKTrix
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, the widescreen looks really, really, *really* good. I can't wait until the later episodes come out, which are drawn with the improved art style.

And the music is entirely selectable. There are 3 audio tracks on the first one:

-100% Japanese (Voice & Music)
-100% English Dub (Voice & Music)
-50/50 - English Voice, Original Music

There are subtitles, naturally. If anyone is interested I can take pics of the box and dvds itself, it's a pretty neat package.

Also, I shouldn't have looked at that Japanese Dragon Box thing again. It made me want it all over again.

Xalibar
05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
wonder if they'll do the same for sailor moon.

By the way, what is the dbz dragon box set? why is that so special that it needs to be so high in price?

JKTrix
05-10-2007, 06:15 PM
It's Japanese. Everything is expensive in Japan.

One DVD can go for like $50.

Plus, it was really special anyway. It comes with 49 DVDs, each with new, original artwork from Toriyama. Even if the DVDs themselves cost $20 each, 20 X 49 = $980. So I guess $655 really is a steal.

Don't worry about the Dragon Box, you can't get it.

Fatal Impurity
05-12-2007, 03:01 AM
It's Japanese. Everything is expensive in Japan.

One DVD can go for like $50.

Plus, it was really special anyway. It comes with 49 DVDs, each with new, original artwork from Toriyama. Even if the DVDs themselves cost $20 each, 20 X 49 = $980. So I guess $655 really is a steal.

Don't worry about the Dragon Box, you can't get it.

Yep because none of us are over hyped otaku with too much money lying in our bank accounts...in fact mine is rather bare right now...:(

Xalibar
05-12-2007, 04:20 AM
do the dbz movies that say uncut and uncensored the same as japanese as well, or is the dialogue still changed?