PDA

View Full Version : Literary Devices

rubah
05-11-2007, 03:31 AM
If you could be a literary device, which would you be?

I think I would be the elipsis and vanish unnoticed in a crowd.

If you could invent a literary device, what would it be?

We invented the 'cinnadoshay' which is where an author characterizes a human with inhuman qualities. How it differs from a metaphor or simile I'm not sure, but it does!

(the spelling is a joke because we have been taught so many very different ways to pronounce synedoche in our literary careers)

Psychotic
05-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Is a plot hole a literary device? I am very much one of those.

I Took the Red Pill
05-11-2007, 03:37 AM
I'm thinking of changing my name to stream of consciousness.

Christmas
05-11-2007, 03:40 AM
I'm thinking of changing my name to stream of consciousness.

You should change it to Ki Ki #1.5. :kaoclove:

Ouch!
05-11-2007, 03:55 AM
I'll go with diction. If punctuation counts as a literary device, I'm definitely a semicolon.

Nominus Experse
05-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Satire

Shlup
05-11-2007, 04:11 AM
I would be a metaphor. Lol?

Iceglow
05-11-2007, 04:40 AM
I'm the exclamation mark because everything in my life moves at a trillion light years a second!

oddler
05-11-2007, 05:08 AM
I AM CAPITALIZATION.

nik0tine
05-11-2007, 06:42 AM
I am like the similie.

I AM CAPITALIZATION.
If I had to make up a literary device IT WOULD BE COMMUNISM.

Siegfried
05-11-2007, 06:59 AM
I would be musical devices, such as alliteration and consonance...
And if i could make up my own literary device it would be "Two-way metaphor" in which the idea of a person is presented two different ways through one way of speaking...essentially a whole sotry of double entandra

LunarWeaver
05-11-2007, 08:16 AM
I think I want to be the climax, and it's too easy so I won't say anything else :(

Edit: If that counts as one at all.

nik0tine
05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Actually, I changed my mind. Can I be spark notes?

blackmage_nuke
05-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Deus ex machina

Rantz
05-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Bunny
05-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm the guy who breaks the fourth wall.

rubah
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't think punctuation counts as a literary device, but that might just be me. When I said elipsis, I didn't mean this sucker: . . .. And if someone were to say apostrophe, they'd better not mean '!

bipper
05-11-2007, 04:46 PM
double entandra

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 06:02 PM
double entandra

A double entendre is more of a verbal faux pas. I'd go with pathetic fallacy.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
A period. Or an elipses...or however that's spelled...

Hazzard
05-11-2007, 06:26 PM
I would be the sexiest one of them all- Personification!

bipper
05-11-2007, 06:49 PM
double entandra

A double entendre is more of a verbal faux pas. I'd go with pathetic fallacy.

It is just as much a literary device as an Allegory, in the sense that it can be used to drive the litterature to an artistic level. Most all forms of art can be performed with a double entandra; better yet, it can layer into even more devices as symbolism. A whole story can often be a double entandra, as in simplistic satire. It is an amazing thing - as am I.

Literary devices refers to specific aspects of literature, in the sense of its universal function as an art form which expresses ideas through language, or with regard to a particular work, which we can recognize, identify, interpret and/or analyze. Both literary elements and literary techniques can rightly be called literary devices.

Roto13
05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
blackmage_nuke stole my answer. I'd make a wizard change the past so he'd never been born.

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Then punctuation should also be considered a device, as when it is used in different ways, different interpretations would arise. Amazings things are things you don't expect. I expect nothing less from a GOE.

Del Murder
05-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Definitely onomatopoeia.

rubah
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Punctuation is grammar, and if you're going to meddle in fallacies tavrobel, I would say that would belong to rhetorical devices, which is outside the scope of the topic!

ianale

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I would say that would belong to rhetorical devices

How wrong you are.

Pathetic fallacy is the reflection of the mood of a character (usually the protagonist) in the weather. A good example is the storm in William Shakespeare's King Lear, which mirrors Lear's mental deterioration.

I winnar you. As a punishment, I want the rights to in medias res, as well.

Words in Literature are often misleading. Don't stop to think for even a second that if you don't know what something is, that you can simply get its proper meaning from context or related words, Grasshopper.

demondude
05-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Arguing with a cids knight isnt that great of an idea:p

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I will argue that which is correct, and regardless of whether or not she wants to ban me, I will not lose sleep if I ever am incorrect. Perhaps you would not like to argue with a Cid's Knight, but I will do it as I deem fit.

Del Murder
05-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Do you talk like this in real life?

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Do you talk like this in real life?

Yes, but with curses added for good flavor. I'm not a very imaginative person.

rubah
05-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Well, I guess I'll take comfort in the idea that however many conclusions I jump to, I'm at least a nice person! Gosh!

Zeldy
05-12-2007, 01:06 AM
Oxymoron!

Literary? Literature?

bipper
05-12-2007, 04:47 AM
I will argue that which is correct

Taking out of context! winnar am I! This is why he will argue what I say, once :D

Tavrobel
05-12-2007, 04:58 AM

Taking out of context! winnar am I! This is why he will argue what I say, once :D

Sorry, bipper, I'm not supposed to support you in any way, shape, or form.

Ouch!
05-12-2007, 05:12 AM
Well, I guess I'll take comfort in the idea that however many conclusions I jump to, I'm at least a nice person! Gosh!
Being nice is highly overrated. It's much more fun to be a jerk.

Since we're going to tack on all sorts of fancy technical terms and elements of rhetoric, I claim ethos, pathos, and logos. While on the topic of fallacies, I select the association fallacy guilt by honor. Also, although not exactly a literary device, I select profanity.

I think I've covered my bases well enough now.

Del Murder
05-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Well then can I claim d’Artagnan?

rubah
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM

Since we're going to tack on all sorts of fancy technical terms and elements of rhetoric, I claim ethos, pathos, and logos. While on the topic of fallacies, I select the association fallacy guilt by honor. Also, although not exactly a literary device, I select profanity.

We aren't, that's what tavrobel was pointing out.

Ouch!
05-12-2007, 06:41 PM

We aren't, that's what tavrobel was pointing out.
It would appear that my intention was misinterpreted.

Momiji
05-13-2007, 02:35 AM
I would be a palindrome.

Or alliteration.

Or rhyme.

Take your pick.

bipper
05-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Sorry, bipper, I'm not supposed to support you in any way, shape, or form.

You way support my out of shapeness in true form.

Yamaneko
05-14-2007, 12:06 AM
I would be the Everyman who understands that wit is better left to the Fool.

Big D
05-14-2007, 12:29 AM
I'd be a Blackadder-style extended metaphor.
Probably accompanied by some blatant innuendo that's delivered so innocuously that it sounds completely unintentional. I do that in real life sometimes.

rubah
05-14-2007, 12:42 AM
on purpose, D?

is that kinda like the other night when I hit my cheek on a door and my mom said she hoped I wouldn't get a boner from it? rather, a black eye?

Big D
05-14-2007, 04:33 AM
on purpose, D?Yup, usually. If it's only a mild innuendo, then it's easy to get away with. It's quite out-of-character for me, so a straight-faced delivery can leave people guessing as to whether I actually intended - or even noticed - the dodgy connotation.

Peegee
05-14-2007, 12:50 PM
I had to look at wikipedia's and see if any apply to me.

I have decided on deux ex machina, because for SOME stupid reason, EVERY SINGLE TIME something comes along to revert everything back to status quo.

Like I'll be in a crappy relationship so suddenly I'll just yell at her and she'll break up with me and yay, I'm back to the way I was.

Or I'll get fired and look for a new job and it will be hard and thankless and suddenly my dad / his friend / some guy will be like 'hay pg wanna work' and then bam I'm back at status quo.

Yay.

Quindiana Jones
05-14-2007, 04:14 PM
I'd be the...umm...well, that actually. "...". It's called an ellipsis or summat like that.

Big D
05-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Or I'll get fired and look for a new job and it will be hard and thankless and suddenly my dad / his friend / some guy will be like 'hay pg wanna work' and then bam I'm back at status quo.It'd rule if your dad actually called you PG...