PDA

View Full Version : Games that make you awful when you lose at them

LunarWeaver
05-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Nobody likes to see that Game Over screen. But some games make me feel like a bag of suck and a gust of rubbish hit each other and I was magically created. Here are some of mine D:

Tales of the Abyss. I think it's because I like the characters so much. Your party dying gets you the words "And they were never heard from again..." That's so damn depressing.

Kingdom Hearts 2. It's so easy that nobody should be dying in the first place. And sometimes Mickey will come save your ass when you do. Nothing says failure like a cute mouse coming in to take care of business because you couldn't.

Dragon Quest VIII. It goes something like-
Priest: "Oh, hey there! You must be more careful when roaming that dangerous world, buddy! It's cool, though, I brought ya back. By the way, I took half your gold pieces, LOL! Religion can't perform miracles without lots of your money. I know you were saving up for the last dozen hours to buy one piece of equipment, but a church has gotta pay the bills, ya dig? Anyway, hurry up and go save the world already."

Bunny
05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I like yelling at my Puzzle Quest game.

Garnie
05-11-2007, 02:09 PM
:kaodizzy: :kaocry: :kaocry2: :kaodizzy: :kaocry: :kaocry2: :kaoupset: :kaofight: :kaofight2: kingdome hearts the 1st one really annoyed me! it annoyed me so much i exchanged it and vowed never tyo play again!

i hate it when your playin the ff's and get stuck on bosses that you allways kill but just cant today! your classic exsample of these are demon gate from V11 cerburous from VIII and that stupid black ball thing in iX. oh and the sanatry keeper in 10.
theres allways one isnt there.....
but the game that did this even harder for me was.....

Bubble Booble.
no matter how much we tryed we just couldent get pas lvl 199. do you know how hard it is to have played a game for hours and soooo close to completing it but yiou just cant....

it still haunts me to this day!

Araciel
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
duck hunt

i think i speak for all of us when i say F$%# that dog

Jowy
05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/psycho_mantis/1166154957659.png

Discord
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Final Fantasy anyone? After getting killed on your way to the saving spot, right after a boss fight, you have to spend 5 minutes jumping over the cutscenes, 30 minutes killing the boss again, etc. I hate it.

JKTrix
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Not so much loosing a game, but being dissed for sucking at it.

One of the first times I played the orignal Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden, I spent a long long time trying to kill the first boss. I died and restarted several times until I finally came up with a way to defeat him.

Then, after all that effort, I was 'rewarded' with the title 'NINJA DOG'. I was upset.

And yeah, Duck Hunt.

Roto13
05-11-2007, 04:27 PM
What was that Xbox mech game with the giant controller? If you got a game over and failed to eject from the cockpit, your save data was erased.

ljkkjlcm9
05-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Definitely Fire Emblem. On the hardest difficulties, you can spend an hour + on a mission, only to die when the enemy had a 5% chance of critical hit paired with a 30% chance to hit you.

THE JACKEL

demondude
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Suikoden v usually when you die you get a game over screen and can restart the battle but certain bosses give youbad endings I got set back 3 hours cus of that:cry:

JKTrix
05-11-2007, 05:05 PM
What was that Xbox mech game with the giant controller? If you got a game over and failed to eject from the cockpit, your save data was erased.

Steel Battalion. I have it.

The save data isn't neccessarily erased, just that that particular pilot is permanently dead and you have to start over. It isn't that bad, but does get kind of annoying. It's realistic in that you can't pause the game, or restart a mission (I think if you reset the console in-game, it counts as a mission fail/eject and you have to do it over, while losing the mech).

The only way to pause it is to unplug the controller :P

Madame Adequate
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
"Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!"

:( You really feel Campbell's pain.

Dreddz
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/3900/gameoverlv2.png

From Friday The 13th.

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Kingdom Hearts 2. It's so easy that nobody should be dying in the first place. And sometimes Mickey will come save your ass when you do. Nothing says failure like a cute mouse coming in to take care of business because you couldn't.

It's not that easy. Unless of course you were on beginner mode?

Final Fantasy anyone? After getting killed on your way to the saving spot, right after a boss fight, you have to spend 5 minutes jumping over the cutscenes, 30 minutes killing the boss again, etc. I hate it.

I got stuck on a boss in FFXII and it took me about eight tries to get it. After I finally did I assumed there would be a savepoint nearby because I hadn't seen one in awhile. So my MP is out and I can't use healing magic to heal my characters, and I don't want to waste precious items when the savepoint is right there. I didn't realize no one had libra, and I ran into a trap and died. DIED!

Aaaannyway, to answer the original question, it would be Threads of Fate. Especially when you have super characters. There is absolutely NO EXCUSE for that.

Tavrobel
05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Diablo II. No one should die in that game. Ever. And yet, I still die, because of Iron Maiden.

Warcraft III. Seriously. WTF Grom? How about having your Critical Strike not suck this time?

Any FF except V. I mean, I died just because I knew I had one hit on the boss left, but didn't want to use a Potion and lost 2 hours of progress? Are you kidding me? Seriously. Ohh, and leaving the controller unplugged while playing FFX-2 does not actually make the game harder.

Kingdom Hearts II. It often involves a serious lack of X button mashing and other button using, such as Square.

Kingdom Hearts I. After you get Second Chance, you get infinite chances.

Starfox 64. My leetness has been shot down and now I have to use a crappy single laser?

Super Smash Brothers Melee. But that's more of a got-your-ass kicked thing.

Rocket Edge
05-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Tekken. :mad2:

Jessweeee♪
05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
How about Tekken when your opponent is using the DDR mat as a controller?

Ouch!
05-11-2007, 08:40 PM
You ever lose to a boss in any of the Xenosaga games?

Nominus Experse
05-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I broke a keyboard over Diablo once.
I've also broken my lamp over Fire Emblem.

I'm not proud of such actions, but I suppose it happens...

Germ Hamee
05-11-2007, 10:25 PM
The Rule of Rose Game Over screen infuriates me. I've died so many times in that game, and it never would have happened if the game simply had DECENT CONTROLS. Gyaaah. Stupid imps! I refuse to touch the game since my last game over.

Ichimonji
05-12-2007, 01:14 AM
The Ace Attorney series. Solely because if you get a "game over", you have to restart from the beginning of the trial/investigation, and that's a hell of a lot of text to skip through.

Araciel
05-12-2007, 01:57 AM

zomg i never knew what it looked like thanks

also: you suck.

Discord
05-12-2007, 02:02 AM
You ever lose to a boss in any of the Xenosaga games?

Umm... nope. Good reason not to try in the first place.:p

"Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAKE!"

:( You really feel Campbell's pain.

Campbell just shouts around, now Mei Ling is a totally different story...

From Friday The 13th.

I knew it.:D

Jowy
05-12-2007, 04:52 AM

zomg i never knew what it looked like thanks

also: you suck.

GALAMOTH IS HARD!

also everyone dies once in the clock tower in every game in the series. >_>

Araciel
05-12-2007, 05:19 AM
orlyfool

Jigsaw
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Minesweeper. fuck those mines man :(

Shin Gouken
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
street fighter 2. The continue screen shows your character bloody, battered and bruised. It makes up for it though when you go back and beat them and you see your opponents face bloody, battered and bruised :D

Peter_20
05-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Fighting a very hard boss that takes place after a 40 minute long damn sequence always sucks.

Jowy
05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Fighting a very hard boss that takes place after a 40 minute long damn sequence always sucks.

halo thar yunalesca

I Took the Red Pill
05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
I think Punch Out pissed me off more than any other game.

Cookie
05-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Mario Basketball. The FF team at the end are a bunch of fucking hackers :(

LunarWeaver
05-12-2007, 07:18 PM

From Friday The 13th.

Holy ostrich eggs! I had this game as a kid, and I died all the damn time. This game over screen had to scar me in some fashion or another. I was always confused if I was supposed to run or fight or what was going on.

Not to mention trying to go across water on those rafts. Ah, back in the NES days when almost no game characters could swim and water was treated like LAVA. :smash: