PDA

View Full Version : Casual or Hardcore?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-12-2007, 02:34 AM
Are you a casual gamer or are you a hardcore gamer? I think I'm a casual gamer because I don't play my games very often. Infact once I beat a game it'll sit my shelf for months collecting dust...And if I want a new game I don't have a problem with selling my old games to get it if I don't have enough money.

Meat Puppet
05-12-2007, 02:36 AM
I’m going to say casual. Sometimes I am... forced into becoming a temp. hardcore, though. :(

ljkkjlcm9
05-12-2007, 02:39 AM
I use to be hardcore, but I just can't play games like I use to

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
05-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Depends on the game. I tend to gravitate toward Hardcore.

Roto13
05-12-2007, 03:02 AM
Harcore. Yup. I need more money, though....

Bunny
05-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Casual.

Ouch!
05-12-2007, 03:17 AM
Sparodically hardcore. When I get a new game, I tend to spend unhealthy amounts of time playing it. Once I'm not left with anything to do in a game, I'll shelf it until I get something new.

As you might imagine, online gaming doesn't mix well with the obsessive completionist in me.

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-12-2007, 05:39 AM
MaINLY Hardcore

Agent Proto
05-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Mostly casual. Can't hardcore game as much as I would like to. :(

demondude
05-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Mostly casual i dont't have the money to be hardcore.

Yet:)

Disco Potato
05-12-2007, 10:30 AM
School prevents me from being hardcore, so casual for me :p

Madame Adequate
05-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Hardcore. Very hardcore. I went through a casual phase a little while ago, but I'm back in the saddle now and, yeah, I like it more than whatever I thought meatspace held for me.

Not hardcore enough yet, because there are plenty of games I've not finished!

Captain Maxx Power
05-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Hardcore to the bone. Then again it is my job.

Dreddz
05-12-2007, 01:25 PM
Hardcore. Although nowadays I lean towards casual for most games I play apart from fighting games and some RPGS. The days when I was rocking 200+ hour save files is long gone.

Hazzard
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Hardcore. It's my curse, but it's also my blessing.

JKTrix
05-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't think I'm hardcore in the sense that I play games obsessively, but I am hardcore in the sense that I must try/buy every game worth playing.

Heck, I have Steel Battallion (http://images.google.com/images?q=steel+battalion&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=kNB&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title). That should be a Hardcore Pass for life.

Laddy
05-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Come on, I have Unlimited Saga, The Wizadry Series, and Metal Saga, and I completed all of them. Hardcore, I even stump the EB Games employees.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Come on, I have Unlimited Saga, The Wizadry Series, and Metal Saga, and I completed all of them. Hardcore, I even stump the EB Games employees.

I didn't know that...by the way I think I'm hardcore when it comes to the Paper Mario series, because when I get a new Paper Mario game I won't stop playing it until I beat it.

Cz
05-12-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty casual. I play games quite a lot, but I'd rather play the latest incarnation of GTA than spend all my money importing obscure JRPGs.

tidus_rox
05-12-2007, 09:42 PM
I can't really honeslty answer this question... I mean... When I get a new RPG (or good game for that matter) I can't stop playing it. My best friend just borrowed FFX and when I got it back I immediatly started playing it again (for like the hundreth time). I just got Oblivion for my sweet PS3... I heard the amount of time that you can spend playing that game is virtaully endless. Some might never see me emerge from my room again.

I could be considered casual because most of my video game playing is spent on the DDR mat. I play that for at least an hour a day. So really, I can't answer this question however, if I had to, I would say this is me:

Casual | | | | | 0 | | | | Hardcore

Thehe... Like my diagram?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm pretty casual. I play games quite a lot, but I'd rather play the latest incarnation of GTA than spend all my money importing obscure JRPGs.

I just wait until the Japanese RPGs come to America, that's why I never bothered importing Final Fantasy III because I knew it would come to the U.S. eventually.

Wolf Kanno
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I'm hardcore. Though I do have "breathing" periods where I turn to other activities and let my money pile up... I have tons of games that most casual players would be like "but it's too hard" or "that game was supposedly rated bad in this review..." but I love them and I prefer some older niche titles and my beloved 2D fighting.

It's especially fun with fighting games cause I can easily hold my own in Soul Calibur and DOA against casual gamers who obsess over them but then I throw in some GGXX or SFIII and I beat them into the ground. :cool:

I'm not a "uber hardcore gamer" though, just because a game has certain challenges doesn't make me feel I need to finish them. It depends on whether I like the game or not. I may never fight Penace in FFX but I'm going to deal with Yiazmet in XII.

Araciel
05-12-2007, 11:56 PM
it's easy to stump people who work at EB...for the most part, they're morons.

also, i'm not hardcore...i hate when people use the term hardcore...i have trouble trying to define what people think ofthemselves when they SAY they're hardcore.

Rase
05-13-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm totally a casual gamer. Sure there are times where I get sucked into a game (see: Pokemon Pearl, Oblivion) but I'm still a casual one.

Shoeberto
05-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Fairly casual, because time constraints prevent me from doing much in-depth playing.

Spammerman
05-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Depends.

If Im messin aroud with my friends, i take things easy, unless I want to scare them. If I et a new game, I play until I get dizzy. Then I walk around, let it sit there for an hour maybe if I dont go to sleep, beat it and go to sleep. If its online, Ill be the one shouting Die muthaf###### die!

Madame Adequate
05-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Heck, I have Steel Battallion (http://images.google.com/images?q=steel+battalion&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=kNB&um=1&sa=X&oi=images&ct=title). That should be a Hardcore Pass for life.

That transcends mere hardcore gaming and qualifies you for M.I. right off the bat.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 01:31 AM
I hate when people use the term hardcore I have trouble trying to define what people think of themselves when they SAY they're hardcore.

I think a hardcore gamer is someone who hates the Wii just because of the outdated graphics and the lack of a DVD player. Have any of you Wii haters actually played a boxing match with a friend on Wii Sports? It's really fun IMHO.

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2007, 01:50 AM
I hate when people use the term hardcore I have trouble trying to define what people think of themselves when they SAY they're hardcore.

I think a hardcore gamer is someone who hates the Wii just because of the outdated graphics and the lack of a DVD player. Have any of you Wii haters actually played a boxing match with a friend on Wii Sports? It's really fun IMHO.

Actually, I feel the Wii would be an obvious choice for a hardcore gamer. If for nothing but the sheer innovation of the system. I feel a hardcore gamer is the type of person who seeks challenge and fun gameplay as opposed to glitzy graphics and 5.1 dolby digital surround sound.

NeoCracker
05-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Hardcore. Very hardcore. I went through a casual phase a little while ago, but I'm back in the saddle now and, yeah, I like it more than whatever I thought meatspace held for me.

Not hardcore enough yet, because there are plenty of games I've not finished!

Preach it brutha!

Del Murder
05-13-2007, 02:44 AM
Where is the line?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 02:58 AM
Where is the line?

I think a hardcore gamer is someone who buys a lot of games, plays them obsessively, and refuses to sell them because that person is a collecter. I think a casual gamer is someone who buys only a few games here and there and that person just plays them every once in a while, also I think casual gamers will sell their old games if they're in between pay checks and they need money.

Del Murder
05-13-2007, 03:36 AM
What if you have a lot of money? Can you still be a casual gamer?

Germ Hamee
05-13-2007, 03:49 AM
Casual. Though I buy tons of video games, and refuse to sell them unless they suck, I almost never complete anything. I think the fact that I'm still level 49 in FFXI, a game I've subscribed to since NA launch, speaks for itself.

Araciel
05-13-2007, 05:02 AM
i don't know...the term hardcore irks me in general...there's always someone more hardcore than you!

ljkkjlcm9
05-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Where is the line?

I think a hardcore gamer is someone who buys a lot of games, plays them obsessively, and refuses to sell them because that person is a collecter. I think a casual gamer is someone who buys only a few games here and there and that person just plays them every once in a while, also I think casual gamers will sell their old games if they're in between pay checks and they need money.

I buy a lot of games, but don't play them obsessively. I never sell them, because I just like having them, never know if you'll play it again. I've become casual because honestly, I still like to get the games, and play em, but I can't play them for hours on end like I use to. I think a hardcore gamer is someone who can sit there and play a game for like 8 hours non stop basically, and loves every second of it. I can only do that with friends, or if the game is just amazing, which I haven't come across for awhile. The last game I was that addicted to.... was FFVI GBA, but that's because it's basically one of my top 3 games ever.

I define it by how much you can play a game. I mean, some people here may be hardcore, but they're not insane like some people who play them basically to live. People that speed run games, are insanely hardcore, and I'll never be on that level.

THE JACKEL

Wolf Kanno
05-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Where is the line?

Though I feel John touched upon a few of the requirements I feel there is a little more. I think hardcore players prefer challenge, the more insane the odds the better. DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden are wonderful examples of games that truly showed a clear line of who was hardcore and who is just casual.

I also don't believe hardcore is just for general gaming though the more insane tend to be very versatile. But hardcore can be relagated to one genre. I know several die hard hardcore FPS fans but they have never played anything else. How can they when they have marathon sessions of Halo, early morning is dedicated to Gears of War, Timesplitters is played to spice things up and finally a good old dose of Golden Eye 64 so they can remember their roots... There good people but lord knows I don't talk gaming with them.

Hardcore gamers are collectors and many like to import and most love to scour the game shops for rare gems. (I'm still looking for a copy of Elemental Gearbolts and FF:Mystic Quest).

But I believe the hardcore are the type of people who have a generally good knowledge of gaming and though they are warrant to have differing opinions and taste. Most agree that the main problems with games these days are originality and fun. They want games that reward you for putting time into them, hence fighting and rhythm games are saturated with hardcore gamers.

I feel a true casual gamer is someone who wants to just "pick up and go" and wants "instant satisfaction" from their games. They want games that have reasonable play times so they are not entitled to invest too much time. They want moderate to fairly easy challenge. They are easily swayed by flashy graphics and obvious "cool" factor. They need streamlined mechanics that require little skill to use efficiently.

Basically a casual gamer doesn't really want to earn anything in there games. They want to be great to begin with, have their money worths in fun play time and then ditch the game and never speak of it again.

A hardcore gamer enjoys the satisfaction of learning and building up to be good at their games. It's all about the satisfaction of putting effort into their games and knowing that it was actually challenging to accomplish it. They are also known to pick up and play games several times cause they actually you know... enjoy the game.

A hardcore gamer can be known to sell their games (hey, the rent is due and you only have so many pints of blood;) ) but they probably hold onto a few games they cherish like a mother would her child. I've known guys who sold their game systems but actually kept their favorite games for the system. I also feel that a casual gamer can be known to have a rather large collection as well, they just have dust on theirs...

Discord
05-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Good question. No idea where the borders are.

Where is the line?

I don't sell the games because there could be a time when I want to play them again or when somebody else who I know wants to play them. And I like collecting things. Not just games, but all sort of stuff. Like DVDs from example. Am I a hardcore TV watcher if I don't sell my DVDs? I doubt it, since I haven't turned on my TV for a past month or so.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 03:13 PM

Well I think you're a casual gamer if you watch tv more often than you play video games and if you refuse to buy the PS3 because of the expensive price tag. Because a casual gamer isn't going to pay for six hundred dollars for a console, that person is going to wait until the price drops or that person is going to buy something else.

Del Murder
05-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Then I am casual.

Discord
05-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Well I think you're a casual gamer if you watch tv more often than you play video games and if you refuse to buy the PS3 because of the expensive price tag. Because a casual gamer isn't going to pay for six hundred dollars for a console, that person is going to wait until the price drops or that person is going to buy something else.

Umm... yet again, poor definition. I have a couple of friends who own PS3s and don't even know what a GameCube is. Does that make them hardcore gamers?

I doubt it.:p

Zeromus_X
05-13-2007, 11:31 PM
I guess I would be more of a casual gamer. I don't have as much time for games as I used to. But when I do play games, I do usually try to play them to completion, and I do some challenges sometimes for the games I'm remotely good at. But I don't think that makes me 'hardcore'.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-14-2007, 12:15 AM

Umm... yet again, poor definition. I have a couple of friends who own PS3s and don't even know what a GameCube is. Does that make them hardcore gamers?

I doubt it.:p

Well why don't you define what a casual gamer is smart ass!?:mad2:

StarlightAngel
05-14-2007, 12:52 AM
Very casual. I hardly ever finish games 'cause I'm lazy/lack skill.

Discord
05-14-2007, 01:16 AM

You asked the question in the first place, so you should be able to define it yourself, shouldn't you?

I don't think that one can divide the gamer community into hardcore and casual types. There are many different breeds of gamers. There are those who barely know what a controller looks like, there are those who die because they forget to eat between the StarCraft sessions and there are guys who do it for their daily loaf of bread. I think that including a scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 would be a much more appropriate solution for your question. Casual and Hardcore is simply too stereotypical and clicheeful to be defined.

Simple as that.:tongue:

Yuffie514
05-14-2007, 06:26 AM
i suppose i am a casual gamer. i like to go too much at my own pace in RPGs and accomplish things slowly.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
05-16-2007, 01:25 AM
i used to be hardcore, then my parents decided to not spend money on video games so i have to buy them myself, so casual

ixnine
05-16-2007, 01:31 AM
I don't know how to vote. I'm kind of both. I play all types of games. Currently I'm playing Resistance: Fall of Man, Motor Storm, Final fantasy XII, Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, still winning gold metals in WipeOut Pure, Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy VI all over again, Ico, and a few games from the PlayStation store, but I play these cames casually in my spare time or when I'm bored.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-16-2007, 05:47 PM

You asked the question in the first place, so you should be able to define it yourself, shouldn't you?

I don't think that one can divide the gamer community into hardcore and casual types. There are many different breeds of gamers. There are those who barely know what a controller looks like, there are those who die because they forget to eat between the StarCraft sessions and there are guys who do it for their daily loaf of bread. I think that including a scale of 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 would be a much more appropriate solution for your question. Casual and Hardcore is simply too stereotypical and clicheeful to be defined.

It's not my fault if you're too stupid to know what a casual gamer is.

demondude
05-16-2007, 05:50 PM

lets stop arguing people can we just define it as

casual- likes games

hardcore- loves them
:)

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Now that I think about it a hardcore gamer is probaby someone who owns every system and game known to man...including Japanese imports and PC titles...but the only way you could ever own all of that stuff is if you're SUPER RICH.

Discord
05-20-2007, 03:49 AM

I can't argue that logic. Respect.

By the way, congratulations on calling every second poster in this thread stupid, pal. You've really made it. Your question isn't very well phrased, get over it.

Now that I think about it a hardcore gamer is probaby someone who owns every system and game known to man...including Japanese imports and PC titles...but the only way you could ever own all of that stuff is if you're SUPER RICH.

Or you have no real life.

I Took the Red Pill
05-20-2007, 04:05 AM
Casual to non-gamer anymore, really. Just don't have the time. I haven't gotten into a game in a while, and I'll admit that I miss my all-night Civilization IV sessions. :(

final-mike
05-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Casual, but when i've got a lot of free time that can change to hardcore. Hardly played on games these past few weeks since i've got exams and haven't got the time to play :(

Madame Adequate
05-20-2007, 09:19 PM

What? I'm poor as hell and I have that stuff. A hardcore gamer isn't someone who gets that stuff, but if you want to define it that way, I'd say it's someone who sacrifices other stuff in favor of games. Like that time I got Xenogears from the US on import - cost £60, which was around $100 at the time's exchange rate. So I saved the heck up, forewent other entertainments, and yeah. (That's not a lot of scratch now, but when you're 12 it is xD)

Necronopticous
05-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Too hardcore for my own, or anyone else's good.

Mo-Nercy
05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Casual most of the time. Hardcore in the holidays.

Dreddz
05-20-2007, 09:53 PM

Hardcore gamers dont have to have alot of games or systems, I think you define them to have an obsession with games and must play every one. A hardcore gamer is someone who really just gets into a game too much and does everything that there is to do in the game. A casual merely beats the story and thats it. They dont take the extra time to practise at the game or do every sidequest. For example, in a Final Fantasy title, a casual will get through the story and be finished. A hardcore gamer will work there way up to the super bosses and beat them. The work and effort you have to do to get to Penance in FFX is ridiculous. And its not like it pays off at the end of it all.

Oh, and you dont have to be rich to play every game. DVD burners only cost £30. See what im getting at there.

10-Breaker
05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I play over 10 hours a day. Selling crappy games is not a problem. I collect Final Fantasy and Armored Core.
So I'm a hardcore playah?

Callisto
05-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Casual. Although there are a few games that I've played and stayed up with no sleep, no food, and disregard to anything else around me. But, very few.

escobert
05-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I only play on PC but, I play ALOT of Guild Wars and have been on Battlefield two a bit lately.

scrumpleberry
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Binge gamer :P

I go through obsessive phases depending on mood and spare time. But seriously, casual. I'm crap at games and in general don't bother with buying new ones that much (money is an issue) but I really love the ones I have.

ZeZipster
05-22-2007, 09:50 PM
16+ hours a day.

Old Manus
05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
I haven't played any games in God knows how long, so I'm neither?

sephirothishere
05-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I finish some games in a week, some games I don't play for a rather long time.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-23-2007, 01:25 AM

Neither isn't an option.

Spammerman
05-23-2007, 02:34 AM

Neither isn't an option.

Hes casually hardcore.

Arc_Master_14
05-23-2007, 02:47 AM
lol hardcore cuz as of this second im playing Halo 2 Pkmn Diamond(i caved) Re4 and Super Paper Mario ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

Nifleheim7
05-29-2007, 01:30 AM
Used to be hardcore but not anymore...(i still haven't finished FFXII since it's European launch).And it's not because i'm not interested enough anymore,on the contrary i love games now more than ever,it's just that someday life happens and you suddenly don't have enough time...I wish i had two lifes to devote the one to gaming but unfortunately i have only one.So it's casual for me.
But i would never EVER sell any of my games even the (fortunately few) crappy ones.

Lynx
05-29-2007, 01:57 AM
well i had like a 4 month break of casual playing. but since i found my super metroid last ngiht i can all ready say ive become a hardcore gamers with my non stop playing the game trying to beat the speed run record. i dont spend much more hten an hour before im playing agian.

VorpalCyberWolf
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
I am pretty Hardcore. I move from one game to the next like hoard of locusts feeding their frenzy before they die in the location of said prey then back again. I play every RPG until it is 100% complete then play something else then I go back to that RPG all over again. I am a little different according to your list of details though. I am a huge collector as well. I have never sold a game/system. Ok well, I sold my XBOX and it's games once, but I recently bought another.

Though it also depends on how busy life is at the time. When im doing the school/work/social life thing Videogaming time gets a little iffy.

licence
05-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Probably more of a casual gamer now.