PDA

View Full Version : GameCube RPGs

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
So how many GameCube RPGs are there? And which one do you think is the best? I think The Thousand-Year Door is the best because it has good gameplay and an interesting storyline IMHO.

Laddy
05-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Tales Of Symphonia! My favorite Gamecube game and Tales game!

Zeromus_X
05-13-2007, 06:33 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6d/Tales_of_Symphonia_case_cover.jpg/250px-Tales_of_Symphonia_case_cover.jpg

Roto13
05-13-2007, 06:47 PM
Of the ones I own:

Tales of Symphonia is definitely my favourite. I have like 300 hours in my file (since you can keep your game clock when you start over).

Baten Kaitos is ok. The battle system is neat but it relies a little too heavily on luck for me. The story is pretty cool, too. It just suffers from bad pacing and godawful voice acting. I've heard Baten Kaitos Origins is better in all respects, but I haven't played it yet.

Skies of Arcadia is great, but my file got erased when I was like 10 hours in and I couldn't bring myself to start over so I don't have too much to say about it. Boo on evil little brothers.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is one of the best Game Cube games. The story is pretty much the same as every other Mario story, and there's kind of too much back tracking, but the writing is comedy gold and the battle system is superb. It's one of the few RPGs where you think "Gee, I wish there were more battles in this game."

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is a lot of fun with more than one player, but kind of meh alone, and each player needs a Game Boy Advance and a GBA/GCN link cable to play multiplayer so it's not the easiest thing in the world to set up. If you're not going to be able to play with friends, you should probably skip this one. (Though the atmosphere and music are very well done.)

I'd say you can't really go wrong with Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario, and probably Skies of Arcadia. Baten Kaitos is worth checking out, too, as is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles if you have everything you need to make it more fun.

Jowy
05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Tales of Symphonia is just the best Gamecube game, period. Go buy it, it's like $20. =P

LunarWeaver
05-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I've played all three Gamecube RPGs and Tales of Symphonia is definitely my favorite. Baten Kaitos is also nice but does have some flaws. Baten Kaitos Origins fixes most of them and is a much better game, although the camera is still forever far away and it still relies on "talk to the right NPC to move the story forward" design too much. But Origins at least lets you discard cards, so the luck factor isn't so glaring.

I don't like Skies of Arcadia, so I won't say much about it. /FeelsRotoandMilfWrath

I dont like Crystal Chronicles, either. /FurtherRotoWrath

Alright, I lied and I haven't played Thousand-Year Door yet. But I will soon. It won't be better than Tales of Symphonia, though.

Markus. D
05-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Summoner~

The Lost Kingdoms 1&2 (though 1 is extremely short and... well. and easy)

Roto13
05-13-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't like Skies of Arcadia, so I won't say much about it. /FeelsRotoandMilfWrath

I dont like Crystal Chronicles, either. /FurtherRotoWrath

I can see why someone might not like both of those games. :P There's a reason I haven't bothered to go back to Skies of Arcadia. And you're a story whore, so....

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I've played Tales of Symphonia before and I hate it...that game just bores me to tears. But that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game Tales just isn't my cup of tea.

LunarWeaver
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
And you're a story whore, so....

It's not necessarily the story. In fact, I don't know what it is. I was able to finish Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Dragon Quest VIII. Neither have riveting narratives or battle systems that are exactly new. Something about Skies of Arcadia just doesn't click with me. Must be 'coz Pirates > Ninjas :hahaha:

ljkkjlcm9
05-13-2007, 08:21 PM
There are a lot of Gamecube RPGs, some more notable than others.

Evolution Worlds - nothing spectacular
Skies of Arcadia Legends - fun game but air battles took forever!
Tales of Symphonia- possibly my favorite game ever
Phantasy Star Online - It's fun, especially split screen with friends
Megaman X Command Mission- If you like Megaman, it's a fun little side game
Lost Kingdoms- never played em
Baiten Kaitos- Card games aren't for me
Digimon World 4- idk, just on the list I'm checking
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles- Again, fun in parties, decent single player if you're not expecting typical FF
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance- strategy RPG, but one of the best GC games
Paper Mario: TYD
Giftpia - I know nothing about it
3 Harvest Moon games
Homeland ?
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD
Lord of the Rings: Third Age
X Men Legends 1+2

That's about it I think

THE JACKEL

Madame Adequate
05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Skies of Arcadia.

Roto13
05-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I forgot about Lost Kingdoms. I played the first one. It was decent. More action oriented, but not bad.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 08:49 PM
There are a lot of Gamecube RPGs, some more notable than others.

Evolution Worlds - nothing spectacular
Skies of Arcadia Legends - fun game but air battles took forever!
Tales of Symphonia- possibly my favorite game ever
Phantasy Star Online - It's fun, especially split screen with friends
Megaman X Command Mission- If you like Megaman, it's a fun little side game
Lost Kingdoms- never played em
Baiten Kaitos- Card games aren't for me
Digimon World 4- idk, just on the list I'm checking
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles- Again, fun in parties, decent single player if you're not expecting typical FF
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance- strategy RPG, but one of the best GC games
Giftpia - I know nothing about it
3 Harvest Moon games
Homeland ?
Pokemon Colosseum
Pokemon XD
Lord of the Rings: Third Age
X Men Legends 1+2

That's about it I think

THE JACKAL

You forgot about Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess is a GameCube RPG too but most people probaby own the Wii version. Originally Super Paper Mario was going to be released as a GameCube RPG but Nintendo scrapped that plan and they decided to release it on the Wii instead.

LunarWeaver
05-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Here comes a raging Zelda-genre debate.

Roto13
05-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Zelda isn't an RPG. o'_'o

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Well you can rename Link if you want to...I think Zelda is a one-player action RPG like Fable.

Laddy
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Zelda is an Action-Adventure with RPG elements. It's not a full-fledged RPG, otherwise, pretty much every game is an RPG.

Oh, and the console Sims are considered full RPG's.

Roto13
05-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Well you can rename Link if you want to...

What does that have to do with anything?

I'd like to know what these "rpg elements" everyone keeps talking about are. The fact that you play as someone who isn't yourself? Does that make Grand Theft Auto an RPG?

LunarWeaver
05-13-2007, 11:46 PM
Because it has fairies and people with pointy ears. PROOF.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-14-2007, 12:09 AM

Well in most RPGs you can rename characters that's why I said that.

Roto13
05-14-2007, 01:20 AM

Well in most RPGs you can rename characters that's why I said that.

... ok? You can rename characters in lots of games. And there are lots of RPGs where you can't rename any characters. That kind of thing is irrelevant.

Momiji
05-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Tales of Symphonia. No contest.

XxSephirothxX
05-14-2007, 03:11 AM
Tales of Symphonia's story was just so bleh, and the dungeons downright sucked. Battle system was great, though. There weren't many RPGs on the GameCube, and I haven't played most of the few there are, so I'd have to say Skies of Arcadia. Damn good game. Paper Mario's probably better, though.

Markus. D
05-14-2007, 03:15 AM

I'd like to know what these "rpg elements" everyone keeps talking about are. The fact that you play as someone who isn't yourself? Does that make Grand Theft Auto an RPG?

I've always thought about that.

and gone "HECK YEAH!" I mean. Take the DMC games for example. You roleplay a witty Demon Slayer.

~ stylish action :choc2: ?

JKTrix
05-14-2007, 04:21 AM
Stylish Action ftw.

I don't see how you can find Tales' gameplay boring, especially compared to the Turn Based Garbage that most other RPGs have. The stories in the Tales games haven't really been anything inspiring, but it was definitely one of those games where it was a little fun to play.

All the reccomendable RPGs have already been mentioned.

Virtua Quest is missing from the list, but that isn't reccomendable.

Edit: I knew you made this thread before. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/86425-nintendo.html) Sort of.

Raven Nox
05-14-2007, 08:16 AM
I'll probably be the only one to say that the Baten Kaitos series was my favorite. Sure, it has it's fair share of flaws, and the card battle system isn't for everyone, but I really enjoyed both of the games.

I didn't really like Tales of Symphonia. It wasn't bad, I just couldn't get into it. Which is weird because I'm a big Star Ocean fan which has a battle system based off the Tales series. I've been meaning to pick it up and try it again. I'd like to play Skies of Arcadia, but I can't find it anywhere anymore.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-15-2007, 03:16 AM
I think you can order Skies of Arcadia from Nintendo's website.

Crossblades
05-15-2007, 05:33 PM
So how many GameCube RPGs are there?

There is many. Here is a list of RPGs that was released for the Cube

Baten Kaitos
Baten Kaitos Origins
Custom Robo
Fire Emblem:Path of Radiance
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Mega Man X Command Mission
Lost Kingdoms
Lost Kingdoms II
Lord of the rings: The Third Age
Summoner:A Goddess Reborn
Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
Pokemon Colisseum
Tales of Symphonia
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1 & 2
Phantasy Star Online Ep. III Card Revolution
X-Men Legends
X-Men Legends II
Animal Crossing
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Harvest Moon: Magical Melody
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Digimon World 4
Evolution Worlds
Virtua Quest

And which one do you think is the best?

Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario TTYOD, and Skies of Arcadia Legends. They were all fun to play and all had great storylines

EDIT - I see ljkkjlcm9 has already posted the list. My bad

Bunny
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Tales of Symphonia is the only GameCube game you ever need. I don't even have a GameCube and I have Tales of Symphonia.

THAT IS HOW GOOD IT IS

{cloud}
05-15-2007, 08:52 PM
I would say that Lost Kingdoms was good, but its play could be better. So i would say Paper Mario Thousand Year Door or Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, The storyline and gameplay Rocked!!

tidus_rox
05-17-2007, 01:02 AM
GameCube has RPG's since WHEN!??!

Laddy
05-17-2007, 01:19 AM
There aren't many Gamecube RPG's compared to the PS2, but some of them are gems! (Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario:TTYOD, Lost Kingdoms 2, Baiten Kaitos, Skies of Arcadia, etc.)

Edge7
05-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Tales Of Symphonia! My favorite Gamecube game and Tales game!
If you need to know the truth, I like Tales of The Abyss more. ( Despite its cheesiness) I Like the Legend of Zelda (GCN) Series, or Fire Emblem POR
Tales of Symphonia and Fire Emblem Path Of Radiance- Best GCN RPGs EVER.