PDA

View Full Version : Clothes

Hambone
05-14-2007, 12:09 AM
If Tidus was blasted 1000 years into the future by Sin, why are his clothes more futuristic than anybody else's? Am I the only one to catch this?

jammi567
05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Hes not from a thousand years ago, he's a dream, from Dream Zanarkand, which is on some island in the middle of nowhere. They're seperated from the rest of Spira, so i presume that they develop their own culture, fashion sense etc.

LunarWeaver
05-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I thought the banana-suspender look was quite retro myself (in a chic Tidus > everybody else way, of course :aimkiss:).

But Jammi is right, Hammyman. He never traveled through time like he originally thought.

rubah
05-14-2007, 12:40 AM
The reason that no one else in spira looks cool is because any time a tailor sets up shop somewhere other than besaide (and that's a two man operation at that) sin comes along and makes it go WHAMMO.

Auron obviously bought his outfit in dream zanarkand while he was hanging with jecht.

Tavrobel
05-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Roman Empire --> Dark Ages

Tidus is from the time of the Emperors, while Spira is stuck living in holes in the ground.

Renmiri
05-14-2007, 01:15 AM
Rubah is correct:

It goes like this (aren't the japanese ultimania writers funny ?)

http://ffproject.net/forumwiki/images/thumb/400px-Sincycle.jpg

Jessweeee♪
05-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I don't think it matters if he was a dream or not, because he's a dream of the past. His clothes are futuristic for the same reason as the city of Zanarkand. Sin destroyed everything, then technology was forbidden. Instead of moving forward, as a society in general they just moved backward.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
This seems to get a lot of people. tidus' zanarkand did exist 1000yrs ago, but was destroyed by sin. the fayth then recreated this zanarkand but only in a dream, while the rest of spira continued living. 1000yrs into the dream, sin appeared and took tidus from the dream world into the real world. sort of like an alternate timeline, the drfeam zanarkand would have been the present day had sin not destroyed it.

blackmage_nuke
05-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Why would you continue advancing technology when you have magical powers?

Tavrobel
05-14-2007, 11:08 PM

Because most of the technology is based on countering magic and making life easier. As you can see, there is no magic spell for "pimp my ride." We also can't all assume that they are all Maiar-class wizards who can own all.

Renmiri
05-15-2007, 12:54 AM

Because most of the technology is based on countering magic and making life easier. As you can see, there is no magic spell for "pimp my ride." We also can't all assume that they are all Maiar-class wizards who can own all.
Actually... Dream Zanarkand has little or no magic.

Dream Zanarkand is essentially a giant Aeon powered by magic. Therefore, at least in my theory, it can not have magic in it. As an Aeon powered by magic, it can not have magic inside it, or can only have very little magic, otherwise it would make the entire "Aeon City" very unstable.

This seems to be confirmed in the game: Tidus has never seen pyreflies, spheres or any other magic powered stuff, and he mentions that "When a fiend appears in Zanarkand is a big deal" , which I think is he referring to Sin's attack right before he left.

Tavrobel
05-15-2007, 02:51 AM
You are not seriously questioning my knowledge of Dream Zanarkand, Renmiri. I most assuredly hope you are not.

I suggest you go back and read my justifications for technology, of which include "making life easier."

Christmas
05-15-2007, 03:28 AM
I used to be pretty good at these theory stuffz.Let me see, to summarize, Tidus did not time travel, he just went from a place somewhere in Spira to other place in Spira that's all. :bigsmile:

And the people of Dream Zanarkand thinks their clothing looks cool while the people out of Dream Zanarkand thinks otherwise, so that's all work out! :hahaha:

Renmiri
05-15-2007, 03:49 AM
You are not seriously questioning my knowledge of Dream Zanarkand, Renmiri. I most assuredly hope you are not.
Of course not, I know you know oodles about it. As I mentioned, this is just my pet theory. Which will probably be blown to bits by Duality when he wakes up and finds this thread :p

Feel free to tell me I'm full of shiite, this is definitely not any official canon stuff, just the musings of a crazy FF fan :love:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
i think there was magic in DZ as in X-2 lenne was a summoner 1000 yrs ago. this would suggest there was magic in DZ, at least before it became a dream. wen they fayth made the dream maybe they left the magic out :D

Cloud_omnislash_Strife
05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Well,thats a very well made point

Little Blue
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Actually... Dream Zanarkand has little or no magic.

Dream Zanarkand is essentially a giant Aeon powered by magic. Therefore, at least in my theory, it can not have magic in it. As an Aeon powered by magic, it can not have magic inside it, or can only have very little magic, otherwise it would make the entire "Aeon City" very unstable.

This seems to be confirmed in the game: Tidus has never seen pyreflies, spheres or any other magic powered stuff, and he mentions that "When a fiend appears in Zanarkand is a big deal" , which I think is he referring to Sin's attack right before he left.

Yes, Dream Zanarkand is an aeon (Summoned by Yu Yevon using the Fayth on Gagazet), no it is not powered by magic Summons are powered by the summoners willpower forcing pyreflies onto a template provided by the fayth. The game explains that magic is powered by pyreflies. Since Aeons are also made of pyreflies, they're just two different manifestations of the same phenomenon, and thus they can exist simulataneously (hence why Yuna's aeons can cast magic).

Pyreflies are typically very hard to see anyway, I believe it is also stated in the game (by Lulu or Maechen) that they're only visible when they gather in dense formations, such as fiends or near water, so I find it easily possible that Tidus could never have seen a pyrefly. As for magic and spheres, that could either be a result of his rich upbringing or they're just not part of the Dream Yu Yevon summons. You're final point, I think you've misinterpretted the tone of his words. He recalls fiend appearances as an amusement. Would he do that with Sin's attack? To compare it to a real life situation, if it was rarely windy where you live, the days with gale force winds would be amusing, if your that way inclined. However, one day a hurricane came by and destroyed your home. Would you look at that very windy object as amusing?

Of course not, I know you know oodles about it. As I mentioned, this is just my pet theory. Which will probably be blown to bits by Duality when he wakes up and finds this thread :p
Done, or at least attempted :p

i think there was magic in DZ as in X-2 lenne was a summoner 1000 yrs ago. this would suggest there was magic in DZ, at least before it became a dream. wen they fayth made the dream maybe they left the magic out :D
Yup. We know there was Aeons and Magic in real Zanarkand, but what we see of DZ implies that there is none of that in the Dream. This could be argued that Yu Yevon believed that Aeons and Magic is what led to the downfall of the real Zanarkand and so he chose not to include them in his perfect world. Additionally, there seems to be no sign of any form of military in DZ (you would've thought that there would be some attempt to fight Sin other than Auron), and since Aeons and Magic are a primarily a military tool, the lack of a military could explain why there is no magic.

Sufficed to say, since Aeons can cast magic and are able to also become fayth (Jecht was a denizen of DZ don't forget, so when he became BFA, he proved an Aeon can become a fayth), it is possible that DZ could include these features in its construct, but as d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x said, they were probably omitted.

Renmiri
05-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Rats, pwned again... I forgot Aeons can cast magic :mad:

Tavrobel
05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Everything can cast magic. Where else would I store all of my collectible sets of armor and weaponry?

I need Mini and Exit.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
round of applause are in order for duality ther! must have taken ages to type all that up :D

Little Blue
05-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Cheers. The hardest part was remembering most of that stuff, I haven't gotten involved in a thead like this for ages so I'm a bit rusty :p