PDA

View Full Version : No sound coming from headphone or microphone.

Dreddz
05-15-2007, 06:00 PM
My headphone and microphone jack are busted and no sound it coming from them. My speakers work fine, but when I try to listen to something with headphones it is silent. Ive made sure to check whether its muted but it isnt. Also, I cant record anything with my microphone anymore. They used to work, but sometime over the course of 5-6 months something has happened. I havent used my headphone or microphone jack in ages, but I need to use them now and I am screwed. My guess is that when I installed Vista onto my machine it did something to both of them. Anyone know what the problem is and how I would be able to fix it.

Im using a Dell Latitude 110l if it helps.

Mirage
05-15-2007, 06:20 PM
So when you connect your speakers to your laptop, they work, but when you connect your headphones to the same output, they're silent? In that case, the obvious explanation would be that your headphones are broken.

Dreddz
05-15-2007, 06:34 PM
I was refering to my internal speakers.

Mirage
05-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh, right. I never used my laptop's internal speakers.
You should try connecting a different set of speakers or headphones to the headphone output, and see if they work.

Dreddz
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Problem fixed. I researched the problem on the net and I found out it was because I upgraded to Vista. Vista totally buggers up your drivers so you have to reinstall them for them to work properly. Pretty simple.

Mirage
05-15-2007, 08:15 PM
You always need new drivers when you change operating systems :p. Still, that sounds strange, seeing as your laptop speakers worked. Vista doesn't control what happens to the audio signal after it left the sound card, so if your laptop speakers worked, I don't get why the headphones wouldn't.

Dreddz
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
I know you need new drivers when you change operating system, what I meant was the drivers Vista installed were crapped up. Apparantly, when upgrading to Vista some of the files necessary for the IDT driver installation become inaccessible. This has two results. Either you have no audio at all, or there are various issues with it. I had the latter.