PDA

View Full Version : I think this is the best FF game...

Dual_Keyblade_Roxas
05-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Who here thinks so too!!

I mean this game set the stage for all the other games, it was one of the best for its time, and countinues to be a "lost classic" (yes I know about the DS version, I just really want a PORT, not a REMAKE, and I want a 2D port, hopfully for the PSP)

FF_Chick
05-16-2007, 02:25 AM
It is really really good that you like one of the older ones rather than the newer ones. It kind of makes you special. But I loved FF3 myself. I couldn't get enough of Purple Blue Green and Red!

I would love a port, but for the GBA ( =( ) or the DS. Sony plus FF3 doesn't really seem right. FF3 is too Nintendo-ish to me.

Elpizo
05-16-2007, 09:46 AM
There's nothing wrong with the DS remake. If they had finished the Wonderswan remake, yeah maybe then we would have had a 2D GBA port. But they didn't and went with the DS. Correction, they first planned it to be remade on PS2. Luckily they went with the DS. I don't see why so many people are against the 3D remake of FF III. It's an interesting new look on the game for those who have played the original (and I have). It was interesting to see some great moments of FF III in 3D. Not to mention, that awesome Final Boss. They finally put more effort in one of their classics than just a port with a new dungeon, and still people are displeased, I just don't understand it. =/

But okay, each to his own. I find FF III DS lost nothing of the original's charm, but I guess it's just me. The only thing I didn't like in the remake is how the Final Boss had a normal boss death-animation instead of sinking away like in the original.

And on topic, FF III will always remain one of the 3 main-stream FF's I like most (together with V and IX). I absolutely loved III's story and found it amazing for it's time. And it was the first FF that had a death I actually found sad. Not to forget, the jobsystem! It's not THE best for me (IX will always have that place), but I can assure you that it gets dam-close.

And Refia in the DS remake has to be the cutest, most loveable female lead ever. ^^

Omni-Odin
05-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Ya she is in the new one. This game is great, but I was also never able to get the original ROM so I never got to experience what she was like before. It must have been a wild 2D game because the DS version rocks.

Wolf Kanno
05-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Definetly the best of the Famicon era FF's and the game still easily holds up to today's standards. I have actually never heard any real complaints with this game and though I wish I had played the original the DS version has made me quite happy since it's far from a lazy port.

The gameplay is fun (am I the only one here who feels the Geomancers are just insanely broken?), the story is especially incredible and deep when you realize when it was originally written. Desch, Unne, and Doga are some amazing characters and it definely has that old school addictive charm.:)

I'm still waiting to hear my favorite track from the game though... "Roaming Sheep". I have to defeat Doga and Unei so I can go to Eureka.

Elpizo
05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Definetly the best of the Famicon era FF's and the game still easily holds up to today's standards. I have actually never heard any real complaints with this game and though I wish I had played the original the DS version has made me quite happy since it's far from a lazy port.

The gameplay is fun (am I the only one here who feels the Geomancers are just insanely broken?), the story is especially incredible and deep when you realize when it was originally written. Desch, Unne, and Doga are some amazing characters and it definely has that old school addictive charm.:)

I'm still waiting to hear my favorite track from the game though... "Roaming Sheep". I have to defeat Doga and Unei so I can go to Eureka.
Yeah, I also believe it's the best of the Famicon era and also had an incredible story. But I see almost every player of this game shove FF III's story (unrightly so) in FF II's shadow.

And there are actually quite some complaints against FF III DS. Maybe not so much on eyesonff, but certainly on other places I visit. Like how the 3D is horrible, the difficulty insanely nerfed, how no safe points in dungeons suck, how the story is crap, the game way too difficult, that it shouldn't have gone 3D cause now it's crap that has lost the only thing that could have saved it: nostalgia, how it should have stayed in Japan and so on. It's purely depressing.

Oh, and I hope you'll be as impressed with Eureka as I was. Eureka really is an impressive place. The music and the looks of that place are great, IMHO. if there's a place that they really improved in every aspect over the original, it has to be the Forbidden Land Eureka. :love:

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2007, 03:02 AM

Yeah, I also believe it's the best of the Famicon era and also had an incredible story. But I see almost every player of this game shove FF III's story (unrightly so) in FF II's shadow.

And there are actually quite some complaints against FF III DS. Maybe not so much on eyesonff, but certainly on other places I visit. Like how the 3D is horrible, the difficulty insanely nerfed, how no safe points in dungeons suck, how the story is crap, the game way too difficult, that it shouldn't have gone 3D cause now it's crap that has lost the only thing that could have saved it: nostalgia, how it should have stayed in Japan and so on. It's purely depressing.

Oh, and I hope you'll be as impressed with Eureka as I was. Eureka really is an impressive place. The music and the looks of that place are great, IMHO. if there's a place that they really improved in every aspect over the original, it has to be the Forbidden Land Eureka. :love:

Considering the system it's on, the 3D is pretty impressive and though the original may not have had a great emphasis on characters and story like FFII did, it's plot is better for originality and is easily just as good.

Difficulty is a shame but as you stated it seems no one is really happy and thus it is a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" type of situation. The rest of the complaints sound like the whining of a spoiled child so it's easy to ignore really. People need to just accept things as they are. The game is damn good and for me, solidifies the concept that the best FFs are divisible by three:D though there are a few exceptions...

espio
05-17-2007, 04:57 PM
I like FFIII and all but it seems to short for me. FFVII is my favourite, the first one I ever played when I was about 6. But FFIII has its upsides such as only having four characters thus meaning you don't have to worry about leveling up more than a full party.

Bolivar
05-18-2007, 07:07 PM

f*** the complaints. I'm playing through this game again right now and i think it's one of my favorite FF's. I played a rom of it once (it was badly patched), so if it wasn't for this I probably would never have played III. As far as 3D ruining the nostalgia factor, to me this eerily had an NES feel to it. Just the way the overworld was represented, the way the screen changes when you enter/exit an area, I think it really combined the best of the old with the best of the new.

Also I think they did a great job of balancing the utility of the different jobs, which I hear was a great improvement upon the original. I'm at about endgame and I'm using characters I've never used in FF, like the Ranger and the Bard (yeah, I said it).

In a way, this is the first modern FF, because not only did it move the series forward as far as gameplay, but it did so within the context of previous games. Playing the original 3 is fun because you start to see more and more how all the games since then have built off of what was already accomplished back then. And in a way III is the bridge between that, not only providing a basis for the later games, but in a sense being the first one of them, to try to go back and recapture that intangible essence that makes Final Fantasy.

Sefie1999AD
05-18-2007, 11:39 PM
FF3j (for NES) was already a great game, and this 3D remake probably just makes it better. The only thing I don't like is how you'll have to use the WiFi function to do loads of side quests. I'm not sure if I'm even able to use it in my student apartment or my university's network. The latter supports wireless network, but it requires user authentication (with an Intranet ID and a password).

And Refia in the DS remake has to be the cutest, most loveable female lead ever. ^^

I don't know about her personality (I haven't played the DS version), but she's definitely cute. I have her Devout class as a figurine, and she looks so cute as a White Mage Kitty. ^^ I'm a bit confused about the consistency, though. Her hair looks blonde in the FMVs and the game, but it looks red in the artwork pictures and the party menu portraits. What's going on there?

Does broken mean overpowered or useless here? I never found Geomancers useful outside FF Tactics. "Roaming Sheep" is a track that was only played in the FFIII: Eternal Legend of the Wind special soundtrack. It doesn't play anywhere in FF3j, and it doesn't appear in FFIII DS soundtrack, either, so I doubt it's played in the DS remake. The same goes for the song "Breeze".

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2007, 08:17 AM
f*** the complaints. I'm playing through this game again right now and i think it's one of my favorite FF's. I played a rom of it once (it was badly patched), so if it wasn't for this I probably would never have played III. As far as 3D ruining the nostalgia factor, to me this eerily had an NES feel to it. Just the way the overworld was represented, the way the screen changes when you enter/exit an area, I think it really combined the best of the old with the best of the new.

Also I think they did a great job of balancing the utility of the different jobs, which I hear was a great improvement upon the original. I'm at about endgame and I'm using characters I've never used in FF, like the Ranger and the Bard (yeah, I said it).

In a way, this is the first modern FF, because not only did it move the series forward as far as gameplay, but it did so within the context of previous games. Playing the original 3 is fun because you start to see more and more how all the games since then have built off of what was already accomplished back then. And in a way III is the bridge between that, not only providing a basis for the later games, but in a sense being the first one of them, to try to go back and recapture that intangible essence that makes Final Fantasy.

Damn straight!:cool:

Does broken mean overpowered or useless here? I never found Geomancers useful outside FF Tactics. "Roaming Sheep" is a track that was only played in the FFIII: Eternal Legend of the Wind special soundtrack. It doesn't play anywhere in FF3j, and it doesn't appear in FFIII DS soundtrack, either, so I doubt it's played in the DS remake. The same goes for the song "Breeze".

Overpowered, I've had a geomancer in my party since the class became avaible and pretty much nothing the game has thrown at me looks like it can truly beat it. Though it does have issues in water based dungeons but it's a small price to pay for near omnipotence;) Though I have finally removed it for a Magus so I can have more control (and access to Flare and Erase :shifty: )

That's a shame cause both "Breeze" and "Roaming Sheep" were my favorite tracks I've heard that were associated with the game. It would have been cool to hear the arranged version of "Roaming Sheep" playing during the ending or credits...

Takara
05-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Ya she is in the new one. This game is great, but I was also never able to get the original ROM so I never got to experience what she was like before. It must have been a wild 2D game because the DS version rocks.

Technically, she wasn't in the original. All four characters were male and had no names.

I'm glad they actually changed that for the DS remake. Definitively an improvement.

Moon Rabbits
05-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Original FFIII = best RPG ever? Very yes.

Hayabusa
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
It's an interesting new look on the game for those who have played the original (and I have). It was interesting to see some great moments of FF III in 3D.

It really is, but even so...I still would like a port to complete they updated platforms collection whether it be PS2 or GBA, because it would be nice to up the 2-D graphics to SNES and have FFIIIj in it's glory. Best game ever though - It was such a rockin' experience.

SetoChaos
06-02-2007, 10:15 PM
There's nothing wrong with the DS remake. If they had finished the Wonderswan remake, yeah maybe then we would have had a 2D GBA port.

Why didn't they finish that remake anyway? They released FFIV for the Wonderswan?

Darkjak951
06-03-2007, 03:57 AM
This is probably the best (and currently only) FF game on the NDS.

But this isan't as versitile as FF5's job system because heres a comparioson:
FF3: 24 jobs
FF5 advance: 32 jobs!!!!!!!
though FF3 is a great game, i have to admit ^_^

lufia
06-03-2007, 09:43 PM
story is crap, the game way too difficult
i felt that way for the ds. No story, no tactics in battle except that you have to grind your characters to high levels to pass it. not a fair judgement since i compare it to the later titles and this being the pivotor of greatness.

SetoChaos
06-04-2007, 01:40 AM
story is crap, the game way too difficulti felt that way for the ds. No story, no tactics in battle except that you have to grind your characters to high levels to pass it. not a fair judgement since i compare it to the later titles and this being the pivotor of greatness.

I havn't played Final Fantasy III yet but I do have to say that I love leveling up and like the older Final Fantasys more than the newer ones. Maybe its the fact that they're classics, but I do love leveling up. Don't know why, always have done and probably always will do. I find that in the newer Final Fantasys I level up so much that the game is reletively easy. I wish they hadn't changed that.

KimberlyAnn327
06-08-2007, 06:46 PM
FF3 is the best Final Fantasy ever! I still have the original Super Nintendo one! I haven't played all of them yet, but so far, it is definitely my favorite! I am really enjoying 12 right now though! :)

SetoChaos
06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
FF3 is the best Final Fantasy ever! I still have the original Super Nintendo one! I haven't played all of them yet, but so far, it is definitely my favorite! I am really enjoying 12 right now though! :)

Thats Final Fantasy VI.

Hambone
06-09-2007, 09:38 AM
...No. The plot had a lot to be desired.