PDA

View Full Version : FFX ruined the way people look at Final Fantasy!!!

Omni-Odin
05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
The only reason this is my topic is because of what's happened since X. Square merges with Enix. All of a sudden they want to make a more crappy sequel to a great game that was fine the way it was. Then they do a Tactics sequel, the they do a Kingdom Hearts sequel (2 of them btw). After this XII comes out and the world is once again happy until they want to make a sequel out of that as well. Also, remakes are becoming way to common in FF.

It just seems like there are a lack of ideas over in Japan because Square has really started to make itself more of a make money business than care about a good, quality game.

Anyone else agree?

Firo Volondé
05-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Squenix makes original games?! What gave you that idea?

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
hehe, XII was original, even though the sequels won't be, and it looks to me like XIII will be original as well, goin in a direction not yet ventured.

I agree with you thaqt remakes and sequels are an unnecessary concept, but i dont think that square lost its mgic just by merging with enix. tbh i dont think that square HAS lost its magic

Little Blue
05-16-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm confused. The thread title blames FFX, the post blame Enix. Who's at fault here? Sufficed to say, I'd put it down to the fanbase myself. A good majority were foaming at the mouth, demanding remakes, demanding sequels, demanding nothing more than going over old news. SE knew there was this desire and so saw a chance to profit. I don't blame them to be honest.

TheSpoonyBard
05-16-2007, 03:40 PM
All the games that have been released so far began life before the merger, so I don't think that's to blame.

LunarWeaver
05-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Like I've said before, every company does this with profitable names. Mario has starred in Tennis, Soccer, Racing, Platformers, Party Games, Fighting Games, RPGs, Side-Scrollers, and even a Dance Dance Revolution game. It happens with everything.

Besides, it's kinda strange to lay blame on the tenth game as a cause of money-whoring. It was the tenth game in the series. This was a sequel to begin with. Square is a company out to make money after all.

As for Kingdom Hearts, of course there's going to be sequels. That's natural of every game that hits it big. And so far it's only had one and a handheld game. Look at series like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid and you'll see twice as much. I don't get why that's surprising to anybody.

It's not like I don't get what you're saying, but nobody is forcing you to buy the handheld spin-offs, cell phone games, or compilation additions. The main titles still get enormous budgets, time, and care spent into them, and they are solid entries into the RPG world as always.

Hazzard
05-16-2007, 06:52 PM
The main titles still get enormous budgets, time, and care spent into them, and they are solid entries into the RPG world as always.

jammi567
05-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I agree that it's the fans. What they want, SE give to get more money.

Jessweeee♪
05-17-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm confused. The thread title blames FFX, the post blame Enix. Who's at fault here? Sufficed to say, I'd put it down to the fanbase myself. A good majority were foaming at the mouth, demanding remakes, demanding sequels, demanding nothing more than going over old news. SE knew there was this desire and so saw a chance to profit. I don't blame them to be honest.

<3

I like what they've come with. I LOVED FFX TO DEATH and although I was a little disappointed with FFX-2, I liked it enough to play it over and over again as I do with the many other FF games I play. FFXII is great, but the story isn't interesting me much so far, so I don't know if I'll pick up a copy of Revanent Wings, but I think they're doing a fine job.

tidus_rox
05-17-2007, 01:08 AM
The only reason this is my topic is because of what's happened since X. Square merges with Enix. All of a sudden they want to make a more crappy sequel to a great game that was fine the way it was. Then they do a Tactics sequel, the they do a Kingdom Hearts sequel (2 of them btw). After this XII comes out and the world is once again happy until they want to make a sequel out of that as well. Also, remakes are becoming way to common in FF.

It just seems like there are a lack of ideas over in Japan because Square has really started to make itself more of a make money business than care about a good, quality game.

Anyone else agree?

FF X
FF XII
KH

These are all great games. You are saying that the sequals ruin them or make them "unoriginal". If you think this is true then dont play the sequals. I mean, if you really like X and you find out that there is a sequal than just dont play it. 'Nuff said.

Renmiri
05-17-2007, 05:19 PM
You are blaming the wrong project.

The Spirits Within almost bankrupted the company, so SE had to sell their soul to the Hollywood devil Disney to stay afloat. That is when all the cutesy projects came to life: X2, KH, chiby DS and mobile games...

Hollywood Disney lives by sequels nowadays and SE, their Japanese protegee is going down the same road.

Shrek & Cloud XXV anyone ?

Larahl
05-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Like many said before me,
Square Enix is a company, to keep the company alive they need money, to make more games you like they need money, and to pay the employees they need money.
When you'll have your own company you'll get it that if you can squeeze money from it, you'll do it.

Besides,
As Lunar said, the numbered series are still great as always.
And what's so wrong about spin-offs, sequels and so on?
FFT is a spin-off and it's a great game.
As long as they make them good I don't mind having them.

Setzer Gabianni
05-17-2007, 06:44 PM
FFT isn't a spin off o.O

Larahl
05-17-2007, 07:32 PM
FFT isn't a spin off o.O
So what is it than?

Renmiri
05-17-2007, 09:03 PM
A prequel to XII :p

Larahl
05-17-2007, 09:11 PM
But it was a spin-off before FFTA and FFXII. :cry:

Renmiri
05-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, actually, XII takes place in the same Ivalice as FFT, only FFT story is hundreds of years later and moogles are extinct afaik

Namelessfengir
05-18-2007, 12:17 AM
yea yea yea quit your bitching

Jessweeee♪
05-18-2007, 01:35 AM
It's all a matter of taste really, either you like it or you don't. I don't think any game is BAD, some games just don't particularly interest me.

cally777
05-18-2007, 07:25 AM
I'm not against sequels in themselves, only BAD sequels. A lot of people thought X2 was a bad sequel, and although I didn't entirely agree, I feel their pain.

Game companies should be responsible with their sequels, because fans will probably get them anyway. At the worst it can ruin your perception of the game world completely (I am still scarred by Isaaru as a bad tourist guide in X2!) Saying that they have to make money is not an excuse for making a sloppy sequel. You can make more money by doing it properly.

:choc::choc::choc:

Jessweeee♪
05-20-2007, 04:16 AM
THE SIDEQUEST FORMAT RUINED THE PLOT.

(EXCUSE THE CAPS ABUSE)

tidus_rox
05-26-2007, 05:17 AM
The Spirits Within almost bankrupted the company,

It did? Sorry, but I didnt know about this... please tell the story :)

Renmiri
05-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, it is one of the reasons Skaguchi got "retired". Bottom line is SE got very strapped for cash and had to improvise to survive, i.e. Kingdom Hearts

.:kerrod:.
05-27-2007, 12:53 AM
well imo kingdom hearts sucked, but the tactics advance game was great! it wasn't a sequal, nor a remake, so your argument is faulty. if you stand with it you're saying that every ff since 1 is a crappy 'remake' as they all follow a similar format. and hey, give SE a break, think of all the hours of joy they have brought you and all the hours of your life they have wasted occupied :D

rubah
05-27-2007, 01:00 AM
weren't they just Square then, then let enix buy them so they'd stay afloat?

Jessweeee♪
05-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Yeah, they joined with Enix and recovered quite nicely.

Zeromus_X
05-27-2007, 05:25 AM
The Square and Enix divisions of Square Enix still work on their own game franchises, so I don't see why any of this is Enix's fault anyway. As was already said, the merger actually saved Square from going bankrupt.

Like Lunar said, it is to be expected that if a game is popular, a more-or-less popular sequel should be expected to come after.

Renmiri
05-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeah but the sacrilege they did with X ?!?! And make Goofy and Auron share scenes ?

:( Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk :(

Bolivar
05-28-2007, 06:23 AM
the argument of the threadstarter's post is almost different from the one presented in the topic.

All of the things you listed have nothing to do with FFX.

Although I will admit, alot of these sideprojects: X-2, TA, KH, etc. are all things I have no interest in. To me, they've been a waste of developer's talents - Kitase could've got a head start on XIII, Matsuno should finally make a real sequel to Tactics, and Nomura needs to get out of those Disney board rooms.

At the same time, the other half of products that SE has been putting out, I have had alot of interst in - remakes: FFA, DoS, III DS are some of my favorite games.