PDA

View Full Version : The Wii... Sucks

tidus_rox
05-17-2007, 01:26 AM
I bought a Wii. Morning it came out. My friend pressured me inot buying it, so I did. I hate it.

I dont really know why I hate it, but then again, I dont know why people like it. It bores me very quickly and the games suck. Even TP, I hate it.

So please tell me what you guys see in it, or if you hate it... you rock! lol. No but seriously, I just think the Wii is a passing phase and the PS3 will catch up in a year or two.

THE END

Fonzie
05-17-2007, 01:48 AM
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1471/achievementcontroversy1mi2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Tavrobel
05-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Where's Dreddz? Get Dreddz!

Agent Proto
05-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Isn't this your fifteen-billionth thread stating that the Wii sucks? I thought we already established this from you months ago. Why are you bringing it up again? Why do you still even have the Wii if you hate it so much?

Goldenboko
05-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Isn't this your fifteen-billionth thread stating that the Wii sucks? I thought we already established this from you months ago. Why are you bringing it up again? Why do you still even have the Wii if you hate it so much?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d79/niko_sama/1up/pw-objection.gif

Stop badgering the witness!

Monol
05-17-2007, 02:28 AM
I like the Wii... and im sure your not THAT oblivious to why pepole like the system? Well in case you are let me break it down like this...

*Cues the spanish beat-boxers*

"Yo Yo Yo listen up ya'll listen to me"
"I'm the first fella here to defend the Wii"
(Background singers - "Wii!")
"Let me ask ya somthing and give it to me straight"
"How can you hate somthing nintendo helped create?"
"Its keen on the scene and original"
"The graphics are more fun than anything digital"
"Is that wrong or is it hypocritical?"
"Doesnt even matter cause nintendos wallets getting fatter"
"With all this chitter chatter about mario hopping on the stars so bright"
"How can SSBBrawl not excite or delight YOU?!"
"You know that its true so be alittle patient and listen to me"
"Go home right now and make a couple Mii's"
"And keep working your body till you get a disease"
"And if that doesnt do it for ya buy a 360 or a PS3"
"And show some respect to nintendo....if you please ;) "
"Yeaaaaaah" *adopts gangsta pose and beat boxing ends*

See? Its not so bad now isnt? ;)

ljkkjlcm9
05-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Simple fact of the matter is, real gamers don't like the Wii right now, because there's basically nothing out for it, but it's still selling like crazy and they don't stay on the shelves. Many people don't understand why this is happening. Simply put, people who never bought games before are buying a Wii, playing Wii sports, and loving it. I'm sorry that the simple easy to play games don't entertain you, but when Nintendo and 3rd party companies start releasing their games, you shouldn't be disappointed.

Honestly, how long did it take the 360 to get a few truly great games? Why do people expect this or the PS3 to be great off the bat? The problem with the PS3 is, a lot of companies are seeing sales and are impressed with the Wii, dedicating more time to that instead.

THE JACKEL

SnoopyG
05-17-2007, 03:07 AM
I like the Wii... and im sure your not THAT oblivious to why pepole like the system? Well in case you are let me break it down like this...

*Cues the spanish beat-boxers*

"Yo Yo Yo listen up ya'll listen to me"
"I'm the first fella here to defend the Wii"
(Background singers - "Wii!")
"Let me ask ya somthing and give it to me straight"
"How can you hate somthing nintendo helped create?"
"Its keen on the scene and original"
"The graphics are more fun than anything digital"
"Is that wrong or is it hypocritical?"
"Doesnt even matter cause nintendos wallets getting fatter"
"With all this chitter chatter about mario hopping on the stars so bright"
"How can SSBBrawl not excite or delight YOU?!"
"You know that its true so be alittle patient and listen to me"
"Go home right now and make a couple Mii's"
"And keep working your body till you get a disease"
"And if that doesnt do it for ya buy a 360 or a PS3"
"And show some respect to nintendo....if you please ;) "
"Yeaaaaaah" *adopts gangsta pose and beat boxing ends*

See? Its not so bad now isnt? ;)

lol:D

tidus_rox
05-17-2007, 03:15 AM

Actaully its only my second.
Lol... I was hoping no one would notice that.
Oh... and about the "Why do I still have it?" Cuz I cant really find anyone to buy it...

Wolf Kanno
05-17-2007, 03:18 AM
I think ljkkjlcm9 said it best, but I'll add my :twocents:

Whenever there is a new system release, it usually takes it a year to finally establish itself. The Wii is pretty new and it's going into "strange and unfamiliar" territory. Becasue of it's success, it will most likely actually get some real third party support like the GBA and DS have:rolleyes2

The only thing I see the system having trouble with is the fact that the interface is so different, that third party companies are actually going to have to work for once instead of making crappy ports. Boo Hoo for them:rolleyes2

Honestly, the PS3 has little to offer for me. Except for MGS4, I have yet to see anything on the system that makes it worth a purchase. As for the 360, it's finally reached it's "first year" benchmark and is finally getting some decent games. So of course it looks more impressive right now, but remember a year ago when all it had was Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero? The 360's library is still a little too shallow for my taste but at least it has a few titles to look forward too now.

With the purchase of any console, I believe we the consumers are mostly buying "potential". And for me, the Wii has the most potential compared to the 360 and the PS3.

Ouch!
05-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Honestly, I bought the Wii right off the bat because I wanted to play Twilight Princess (which, I believe, was absolutely fantastic). I think THE JACKAL explained the situation very well. Launch titles, for the most part, can't carry a system for long. Zelda was probably the best thing Nintendo could launch with (I'd argue that the Mario game wouldn't have compared), but not a whole lot has come out since. We're still waiting on most of the big titles, but they're coming.

The PS3 is in the same boat. The big exclusives either aren't exclusives anymore (a big problem for Sony) or are not yet out. I imagine once Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out, PS3 sales will skyrocket, at least for a little while. For various other reasons, however, I can't see Sony reclaiming its domination of the video game market. They've made too many mistakes this time around. That, however, is an entirely different subject.

JKTrix
05-17-2007, 03:56 AM
Looking at your screen name, your sense of judgement is immediately taken into question.

Jokes aside, there really is a lack of 'stuff a Final Fantasy Freak would want' on the Wii right now. Outside of Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario, there aren't any traditional-type games out there to hold your hardcore interests for a long time.

So, it's time to think outside the box. You bought the Wii, so you're halfway there. You went into it knowing it was a different system, expecting something different. So... try something different.

One of the first Wii games I really enjoyed immensely was Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi Budokai 2. Same game as the PS2 version, but the controls are really something else. You can even switch back to normal gamepad controls if you chicken out. I actually played this a lot more than Zelda.

More recently, a game called 'Kororinpa: Marble Madness' came out. If you're not familiar with the Marble Madness brand, you're basically moving a marble (or similarly round object) through a maze to get to the goal. Simple enough purpose, but the level design and again the controls really make it great. It's somewhat similar to Super Monkey Ball, but much better executed in terms of Gameplay. Monkeyball's tilt axis was pretty limited, but with Kororinpa you can turn the table entirely upside-down. In many cases, you *have* to do that in order to either finish the level, or get the special goals that unlock stuff.
It's a little too short, so if you can rent it or get it cheap, definitely go for it. I feel Kororinpa is something anyone with access to a Wii should check out, it's the best and tightest use of the motion sensor I've seen in any Wii game.

Back on the 1st party side of things, WarioWare is great fun. Similar to Kororinpa, the 1p game itself is pretty short, but WarioWare lives on in its multiplayer. This is the 'other' game I bring with me when I go to parties (Wii sports being the other obvious choice). There are various minigames you can do with 2 players, or you can have up to 12 people taking turns in a multiplayer competition with One remote. Sounds kinda stupid, but when everyone gets going it it's crazy fun. There are several unlockable 'Toys' in WarioWare, my favourite one being a sort of 'Music Conductor' mode where you wave the Wii remote like a Conductor's baton and the folks on screen will play the selected song at your tempo. Nifty little thing.

I'll admit that I don't play Wii by myself very often--in fact it's been unplugged continuously for about a week. I haven't had much time to game at home, but regardless of that there isn't anything that's driving me to play it. And I have Super Paper Mario, unfinished.

The Wii's best use for me is as a party system. With 1 Remote and a Nunchuk, you can play 2-12 player multiplayer on WarioWare and 4 players in Wii Bowling. 2+ Remotechucks will open up other multiplayer options in Wii Sports. I'd save DBZ for someone else who knows how to play it, because that is definitely not a 'pick up and play' game (If you check out DBZ, definitely go through all the Tutorials).

So, I don't regret having a Wii, because it was comparitively cheap and when I can play with a bunch of people (or my 2 friends who can kick it in DBZ) it's hella fun. Similarly I don't regret buying a PS3 for Virtua Fighter 5 alone, the only game on the system that interests me. In the end it really comes down to your taste, and whether or not you've tried to taste other things.

I think more of the 'FF Freaks' should play games for game's sake. 'Traditional' JRPGs get you into bad habits of putting Story and Appearance over Gameplay. It's fine to have that, RPGs and other story-focused games will always be around. But look outside the box at some things that may not have a great story, or may look like they fell out of a kid's colouring book. If you like it, great. If you don't, you still have the box to go back to.

Also, I want to acknowledge Monol's rap, but... I really have nothing to say. You're on a whole different level than I am.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-17-2007, 04:43 AM
I recently bought a second Wii remote and a second nunchuk then I played against my nephew in boxing on Wii Sports and it was really fun. I think the reason why you hate the Wii 'tidus_rox' is because you're a solo gamer. The Wii is a party system, which means in order to have fun you need to play a Wii game with a friend...now if your friends don't want to play with you that's your problem.

Dreddz
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
This is why you try a console before you buy it silly. I played Wii sports alot and Red Steel, and hated both. Its just the way you use the controller that ticks me off, after 10 or so minutes playing with it, I wanted to go back to a regular controller. I can see the appeal of it, and for social occasions it could be a laugh. But I'd hate the idea using that thing alone with a real meaty game you have to hunker down with for hours. It would drive me insane even. Also, the claim that the controller is innovative is far from the truth. Its a new way to play, sure. I mean, using the remote as a tennis racket, or as a fishing rod, how long do you reckon they spent thinking about that, couple of minutes ? Nothing innovative is going on here.

My real beef is with Nintendo itself though, and how they treat there systems in general. Even with the massive audience the Wii has, games still come out at a slug pace, especially the decent ones. And Nintendo have no excuse for the lack of Wii's available, but at least they admitted it instead of soaking in glory that there system is so hard to find.

The console has untapped potential though. If the developers werent doing the most obvious things with the controller then maybe Ill re-think my opinion of the system. At the moment, its still a gimmicky console in my opinion.

Madame Adequate
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
At the moment, its still a gimmicky console in my opinion.

I agree, and I'm not sure even the endless generosity of the gaming community towards Nintendo will last terribly long if they don't get some good, hardcore games out that combine exactly what we want to see with a control system that could be very powerful. Party games are entirely valid. And at the price of the Wii, they can probably get away with just marketing it as a multiplayer console and leave it at that. For people who get ample multiplayer satisfaction from their 360 and PC (That'd be me I'm referring to), the appeal is considerably lessened, because we've got some fantastic single-player options as well.

JKTrix
05-17-2007, 01:11 PM
This is why you try a console before you buy it silly. I played Wii sports alot and Red Steel, and hated both.

Yeah, Red Steel was the suck.

My real beef is with Nintendo itself though, and how they treat there systems in general. Even with the massive audience the Wii has, games still come out at a slug pace, especially the decent ones.

It's true. Nintendo is in a difficult position. On one hand, if they flood the market with Nintendo Games, the general consumer will overlook the 3rd party stuff. People who buy Nintendo systems tend to buy Nintendo Games. This is one of the big reasons that Nintendo 'fell from grace' the last couple of generations. 3rd party developers just couldn't compete with Mario, so they abandoned the Nintendo camp.

On the other hand, Nintendo is now trying to give them an opportunity to do their thing, spacing out their big releases to give 3rd parties more time (while still perfecting their Next Big Game). But 3rd parties are either taking their sweet time, or putting out a bunch of licensed junk.

This is only a problem in the West, though. Japanese 3rd parties have no problems with Nintendo pumping out 1st party games because their stuff has a fair chance of selling. In the West, a good deal of the 'real' gamers are the "I Got a Wii Just For Zelda" crowd. They get Zelda, then cast their eyes on the rest of the library and see....nothing. How are 3rd parties supposed to compete with Zelda when people are jaded and narrow-minded when it comes to games?

There are a handful of other (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trauma_Center:_Second_Opinion) great (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kororinpa:_Marble_Mania) games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elebits) out there that are very much worth playing (though many don't shake the 'gimmick', the gimmick is fun). People are overlooking them because they're 'different'--but isn't the point of the Wii to try something different?

Slothy
05-17-2007, 01:56 PM
This is one of the big reasons that Nintendo 'fell from grace' the last couple of generations. 3rd party developers just couldn't compete with Mario, so they abandoned the Nintendo camp.

There are a lot of reasons third party development dried up in the N64 era and continued that trend through the GC era, but that wasn't one of them.

I've got to agree with MILF, and it's really something I've been saying all along; the controller so far has been little more than a gimmick. I don't need, nor want a party system. I rarely have the chance to get together with more than one or two friends once a week to play games, and we have a lot more fun passing the Guitar Hero controller around or going a few rounds in Fight Night than we did playing Wii Sports. For people like me, the Wii offers little to nothing of any gaming value to me. When it gets more titles with some depth maybe, but I don't see that happening anytime soon as the early success and low development costs seem to be encouraging quick development of some pretty simple games to try and capitalize on the success (I think the Wii's popularity took developers by surprise as much as it did consumers). It seems like very few companies aside from Nintendo are actually developing major titles for it, and since I've certainly made no secret of my dissapointment in recent Nintendo titles, you can guess where that leaves me.

Discord
05-17-2007, 02:47 PM
IMO PS3 caught up the day it came it out.

You can't really compare Wii and PS3 though. I mean, it's a bit like comparing Singstar with MGS.

Old Manus
05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Wii is for the few-hours-a-week-casual-gamer, imo.

Araciel
05-17-2007, 03:19 PM
i counter with this:

Wii rox.

demondude
05-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I bought a Wii. Morning it came out. My friend pressured me inot buying it, so I did. I Love it.

I dont really know why I Love it, but then again, I dont know why people Hate it. It Excites me very quickly and I suck. Even TP, I Love it.

So please tell me what you guys see in it, or if you Love it... you rock! lol. No but seriously, I just think the Wii is a Great console and the PS3 Is very gay
THE END

Germ Hamee
05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Wow, so far the only valid argument against Wii that I've seen is, "I don't have friends to play it with, wah."

Everyone thought the DS was a gimmick when it first came out, too -- myself included. Now look at it since it got past it's Nintendogs stage: it's a great system with fun to be had whether you want to play with friends, or by yourself. This is what I'm seeing in the future of the Wii.

As far as games currently go, I don't see how anyone can complain. We already have Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario available, as well as a growing library of virtual console games. There's a few others I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I hear are great (Trauma Center, Elebits). Mario Party 8 is almost here, and let's face it: Wii is the system those games were destined for. Nights is on the way, as well as Smash Brothers and Mario Galaxy. There's also that "Sadness" game I keep hearing about that looks fantastic.

Let's compare this to the PS3, a system you (just speaking generally, here) spent $600 on because it's going to have a handful of exclusives eventually. Right, you just keep on playing Resistance. If it's any consolation, you can spend the next several months rebuilding your movie library on Blu-ray until something good comes out?

(360 is hardly a fair comparison with the amount of shelf time it's had.)

I just think people are expecting a little too much out of this system so quickly. In any case, it's not like you spent buckets of money to buy the thing. Along the lines of His Own MILF's words, why not keep it as a party console and do your hardcore gaming elsewhere? If you're really so lonely, just sell it on eBay. You're bound to make a few bucks with the ongoing shortage.

true cloud
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Wolf Kanno and ljkkjlcm9 said pritty much every thing i was going to say:D just give it time alot of good games are just around the corner SSBM and MP3 for instance and the ps3 doesnt realyy offer to much now and in the near future so far and like wolf Kanno said MGS4 is the only thing that would intrest me

and the fact that every body says its not for "real gamers" i dont find to be true, as a person who has devoted alot of time to gameing one of the things i look for in a game is a challenge and the wii certanly pays in that department its so hard to get used to at first >_<

Slothy
05-17-2007, 10:11 PM
We already have Twilight Princess and Super Paper Mario available, as well as a growing library of virtual console games. There's a few others I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I hear are great (Trauma Center, Elebits). Mario Party 8 is almost here, and let's face it: Wii is the system those games were destined for. Nights is on the way, as well as Smash Brothers and Mario Galaxy. There's also that "Sadness" game I keep hearing about that looks fantastic.

I've already got TP on the GC and may never play it again since I got bored senseless after two dungeons (it's OoT all over again no matter which way you look at it). Every VC game that interests me I also already own, and more importantly, I can generally find used copies of N64 games I want but don't own at lower prices than on the virtual console. The only other game you mentioned that even interests me is Trauma Center, but I would never buy any system for it. The games coming to the VC may interest you, but most of them are too short/shallow in the gameplay department to interest me much.

Let's compare this to the PS3, a system you (just speaking generally, here) spent $600 on because it's going to have a handful of exclusives eventually. Right, you just keep on playing Resistance. If it's any consolation, you can spend the next several months rebuilding your movie library on Blu-ray until something good comes out?

Ignorance must be bliss huh? I've had my PS3 since about a month after launch. In that time, I've picked up seven games. Two being dedicated exclusives, and VF5 being exclusive until August. I have to say as well that I've enjoyed every one of them far more than every Wii game I've played. As far as I'm concerned, I've already gotten my money's worth out of the console, and by the end of the year, I'll be playing games like Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Warhawk, and Socom, and those are just the exclusive titles that I'm looking forward to. Go ahead; ask me if I'm dissapointed with my purchase.

I just think people are expecting a little too much out of this system so quickly.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more great titles than the Wii has released at this point. I've already mentioned a half dozen PS3 titles that look like they'll be great games without even getting into multi-platform titles, or titles that will be released next year, and not to mention the seven I already own. If the Wii can't match that with the developer support it seems to be garnering then it tells me there's something wrong, at least from my perspective.

Araciel
05-17-2007, 10:28 PM
so are you happy with your purchase?

i think if you don't like what you bought, stop whining and trade it in or sell it. if you like it, great!

i like the wii...so i'll keep it, and my 360..if i play the ps3 and like it, i'll buy one.

Khaotic
05-17-2007, 10:35 PM
I laugh at everyone still debating this overused topic, everyone will always have a different opinion and gaming style, neither is better than the other.

Just Shut The Hell Up Already.

Araciel
05-17-2007, 10:37 PM
well has no one ever heard of 'try before you buy'?

WTF

Madame Adequate
05-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Everyone thought the DS was a gimmick when it first came out, too -- myself included. Now look at it since it got past it's Nintendogs stage: it's a great system with fun to be had whether you want to play with friends, or by yourself. This is what I'm seeing in the future of the Wii.

I also thought the DS was a gimmick system when it came out. Now I think it is a system with a gimmick. Seriously, aside from EBA, everything I've played makes little to no use of the Stylus - Theme Park comes closest in fact, and there's little if anything there that can't be reproduced otherwise. It's an absolutely fantastic system that was worth every penny, but I didn't get it because it's got anything unique in terms of the console itself - I got it because it's got some unique games (Pokemon).

Nights is on the way, as well as Smash Brothers

Valid and probably worth getting the system for by themselves.

Germ Hamee
05-17-2007, 11:38 PM
I've already got TP on the GC and may never play it again since I got bored senseless after two dungeons (it's OoT all over again no matter which way you look at it).

I'll agree that TP has an identity crisis during the first few dungeons, but it really develops into it's own thing after you get through the initial set of temples. The nostalgia factor was enough to get me through the same-old-same-old. Then again, I was a huge fan of OoT.

In that time, I've picked up seven games. Two being dedicated exclusives, and VF5 being exclusive until August. I have to say as well that I've enjoyed every one of them far more than every Wii game I've played. As far as I'm concerned, I've already gotten my money's worth out of the console, and by the end of the year, I'll be playing games like Lair, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Heavenly Sword, MGS4, Warhawk, and Socom, and those are just the exclusive titles that I'm looking forward to. Go ahead; ask me if I'm dissapointed with my purchase.

That's great! I haven't been impressed with any of the half-assed titles that I've played so far, but I'm sure it's just a personal preference. They were by all means pretty, but I didn't enjoy playing them at all. I couldn't even get myself to enjoy Resistance, which is apparently the best game PS3 has out for it right now. I am, however, looking forward to Lair, and a handful of other titles forthcoming. But if I bought one right now, the only thing I would be able to do with it is keep it clean and watch movies. With the Wii, I've spent far less than half of what you have with the PS3, and I'll bet I'm just as satisfied with it as you are with your Playstation. To each his own.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more great titles than the Wii has released at this point.

I really do think it's a bit unreasonable, especially considering the kind of system Wii is. Again, the DS went through the same thing. Developers were a little too excited to exploit the touch screen features and the library was just a pool of mini-games. It took awhile before they figured out how to really develop great games for the system. The same thing seems to be happening with the Wii, and it's to be totally expected. I'm personally shocked that they've squeezed out any decent games at all. Wii is the kind of system that takes some serious growing into.

I also thought the DS was a gimmick system when it came out. Now I think it is a system with a gimmick. Seriously, aside from EBA, everything I've played makes little to no use of the Stylus - Theme Park comes closest in fact, and there's little if anything there that can't be reproduced otherwise. It's an absolutely fantastic system that was worth every penny, but I didn't get it because it's got anything unique in terms of the console itself - I got it because it's got some unique games (Pokemon).

Well said!

Discord
05-18-2007, 12:05 AM
well has no one ever heard of 'try before you buy'?

WTF

Yes... sounds weird if you throw away 200 bucks for something you don't even know a thing about. I think the author is just ranting about the existance of Wii in general.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-18-2007, 01:31 AM
I think tidus_rox probaby lives in the sticks because if he or she really hates the Wii that much than he/she would've taken the Wii to Gamestop by now to sell it...Anybody with half a brain would've done that.

Lawr
05-18-2007, 02:18 AM
I think tidus_rox made this thread not to complain, even though that's what he has bespoken, but maybe in search for advice?

But the PS3 might catch up with FFXIII(Who knows when :rolleyes:.), and Shirokishi(CHECK IT OUT) and
some other exclusives mentioned here. But I guess it just depends on the player, I see that the PS3 will take the same course as the PS2 and the 360 the same as its former, and the Wii looks like it's going the same way as the GC, but I think there looks to be more exclusives. It also has somewhat its own way of presenting and RPG element, but all I can see close to this is the Dragon Quest:Swords game and ZELDA.

In conclusion it just depends on you, If you really detest it, eBay is your answer.

ljkkjlcm9
05-18-2007, 02:48 AM
say what you want, but Nintendo is back on top, at least for now...
And the Wii is not going anywhere near where the GC went.

NintendoWorldReport - News Article: Nintendo Claims Another Month of Sales Victory in April (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13479)

May 17, 2007

Already riding a streak as America's No. 1 seller of video game consoles, No. 1 seller of portable game systems and No. 1 publisher of video games, Nintendo added more chips to its pile in April-with not just one, but the country's four best-selling games.

According to independent sales data gathered by the NPD Group, the two best-selling games in April were Pokémon® Diamond and Pokémon® Pearl, exclusively for the Nintendo DS™ hand-held game system, followed by Super Paper Mario™ and Wii Play™ for the Wii™ home video game system. Combined sales for the two related Pokémon titles exceeded 1.75 million units in just 14 days of availability during the reporting period.

The DS remained the most popular game system of any kind in April, with projected sales of more than 470,000 units. At the same time, the Wii from Nintendo, despite nearly universal sold-out status, was still purchased by twice as many consumers as any other home game console, according to the NPD data. Unit sales of 360,000 Wii systems in April bring the console's installed base in America to nearly 2.5 million in less than six months on the market.

"Nothing is more valuable in the entertainment world than an evergreen franchise," says Reggie Fils-Aime, president and COO, Nintendo of America. "These new Pokémon titles have cemented their place alongside the most enduring intellectual properties of the book, music and movie industries. And that appeal will expand even further with the introduction of Pokémon® Battle Revolution to our Wii home console next month."

The DS and Wii far outselling anything else? The top 4 games? Is Nintendo back on top for good?

THE JACKEL

Discord
05-18-2007, 02:48 AM
Hmm... I doubt that Wii, unlike GameCube, is actually built to last. It really seems like something Nintendo will push through for the max of 2 years. It's not a next-gen console, even if it claims to be one. GC on the other hand, had the technical power to compete with PS2 and XBOX.

As for the PS3 vs. 360, it's obvious. PS3 has better hardware, better coding base and, to emphasise on the hardware bit again, a BlueRay Disc player inside. There's no way the 360 can stand up against that. And as for games, I wouldn't really focus that much on FFXIII. I'm sure there'll be plenty other great games for the PS3 to make it a worthwhile buy.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-18-2007, 05:04 AM
If the Wii lacks the longevity to compete with the 360 and the PS3 why have so many developers jumped on board the Wii band wagon hmmm? I mean that's why the N64 and the GC didn't do so well, it's because they had little to no third party support, so Nintendo had to create their own games.

Del Murder
05-18-2007, 05:29 AM
And those survived because Nintendo makes damn fine games. That is one edge Nintendo systems will always have.

Roto13
05-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Considering how it's like six months after the release of the Wii and it's still difficult to find, I don't see how anyone could have trouble selling one they didn't want.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2007, 07:50 AM
The DS and Wii far outselling anything else? The top 4 games? Is Nintendo back on top for good?

Yes, I think so. Clearly they will dominate the industry for the rest of its existence. :rolleyes2

ljkkjlcm9
05-18-2007, 09:27 AM

Yes, I think so. Clearly they will dominate the industry for the rest of its existence. :rolleyes2

dude, I was just doing the same type of speculation that news articles do. I doubt they're on top for good, but they'll probably be on top for a good while, and they've always been on top in the portable market so...

THE JACKEL

No.78
05-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Meh cba to read all the previous text.... But its true, alot of my friends got wiis because its "awesome" and made by nintendo and stuff like that. I played it and it was fun for a few seconds at least but ultimately it's not my kind of thing. I don't know why, thats just that.
Yet if you dislike it, you get HATED by people!!! "How can you not like this?" well, I dont know, because I dont? Does nintendo deserve my utmost respect for some reason, so much that it overcomes my opinion? I dont understand it really, ahh well.

I will be getting a wii eventually though, for soul calibur legends and Pokemon... Yeah kthxbai

Lawr
05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
And those survived because Nintendo makes damn fine games. That is one edge Nintendo systems will always have.

JKTrix
05-18-2007, 12:32 PM
As for the PS3 vs. 360, it's obvious. PS3 has better hardware, better coding base and, to emphasise on the hardware bit again, a BlueRay Disc player inside. There's no way the 360 can stand up against that. And as for games, I wouldn't really focus that much on FFXIII. I'm sure there'll be plenty other great games for the PS3 to make it a worthwhile buy.

The power of a system is not as much of a deciding factor as you might think. Last generation, the PS2 was actually the least powerful system. Look how that turned out. (And where did you get that bit about the PS3 having a better coding base? (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159104))

At least these days, with the push for HD and more storage space, the PS3 does have the advantage when it comes to capability. Creating software for bleeding edge technology is a major draw for developers. However with all the power and new tech you have comes the challenges and costs for developing for it. (I'm reminded of a Spider-Man quote.)

At this point the Wii has the advantage of being cheap to develop for since its technology is so old. That's a major draw for developers too.

Madame Adequate
05-18-2007, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't call it an edge when other consoles have the same capacity. Well, Sony does at least. But I take your point - Nintendo has an extremely strong core of games which will always and in every circumstance of events attract a certain loyal fanbase. I would probably agree if you said this fanbase was more devout than those of other consoles, too.

dude, I was just doing the same type of speculation that news articles do. I doubt they're on top for good, but they'll probably be on top for a good while, and they've always been on top in the portable market so...

THE JACKAL

Meh, fair enough. I just think it's too early to even call this generation. And when you can see a decline as great as the one between NES and N64, it seems almost any advantage or level of dominance can be lost.

Roto13
05-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Meh cba to read all the previous text.... But its true, alot of my friends got wiis because its "awesome" and made by nintendo and stuff like that. I played it and it was fun for a few seconds at least but ultimately it's not my kind of thing. I don't know why, thats just that.
Yet if you dislike it, you get HATED by people!!! "How can you not like this?" well, I dont know, because I dont? Does nintendo deserve my utmost respect for some reason, so much that it overcomes my opinion? I dont understand it really, ahh well.

It's not so much saying you don't like it as saying it sucks. People get annoyed when you tell them that something they like is universally bad for everyone. Saying it's "not for you" is the kind of thing that's perfectly acceptable and anyone who eats you for it is an ass. :P

Discord
05-18-2007, 05:18 PM
(And where did you get that bit about the PS3 having a better coding base?)

The Cell Broadband Engine was developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba and is purported to deliver up to 10 times the processing speed of a typical home computer. The hype on the engine states that developers should be able to start approximating actual intelligence in games, rather than artificial intelligence[if anybody could give a quick explanation of what this could mean, it'd be great], meaning the enemies should get a lot smarter. The engine is capable of performing 200 billion calculations per second and has a clock speed of 3.2 GHz. (http://ps3.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r26741.htm)

As for the power, it does matter. The problem with XBOX was that it came out 1,5 years after the PS2, which is even worse than the PS3 vs. 360, and that it was an absolutely new brand. Everybody know what a Playstation is, but an XBOX?:confused:
Of couse, power is not everything, but it's a very significant aspect, as we've seen on the example of GC. You're absolutely right there.

tidus_rox
05-19-2007, 02:59 AM
Wolf Kanno and ljkkjlcm9 said pritty much every thing i was going to say:D just give it time alot of good games are just around the corner SSBM and MP3 for instance and the ps3 doesnt realyy offer to much now and in the near future so far and like wolf Kanno said MGS4 is the only thing that would intrest me

and the fact that every body says its not for "real gamers" i dont find to be true, as a person who has devoted alot of time to gameing one of the things i look for in a game is a challenge and the wii certanly pays in that department its so hard to get used to at first >_<

The thing is... I dont like those games. SSBB and MP bore me. I dont like Nintendo games at all, there so stupid and... weird. I dunno, its not that I dont have people to play my Wii with, I have a brother, and a friend that I see every day after school. It just doesnt apeal to me...

ljkkjlcm9
05-19-2007, 03:26 AM

The thing is... I dont like those games. SSBB and MP bore me. I dont like Nintendo games at all, there so stupid and... weird. I dunno, its not that I dont have people to play my Wii with, I have a brother, and a friend that I see every day after school. It just doesnt apeal to me...

if you don't like Nintendo games, why'd you buy it in the first place. Nintendo games are always some of the best on the system, at least half of the best are first party games. Seems to me you just want to complain. I'm not even sure you own a Wii...

THE JACKEL

The Fat Bioware Nerd
05-19-2007, 03:31 AM
The thing is... I dont like those games. Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption bore me. I dont like Nintendo games at all, there so stupid and... weird. I dunno, its not that I dont have people to play my Wii with, I have a brother, and a friend that I see every day after school. It just doesnt appeal to me...

I don't understand how the PS3 could appeal to you because there's little to no RPGs on that platform right now. And PS2 RPGs don't count because they weren't designed for the PS3...They're not next-gen RPG titles they're last-gen. Nintendo on the other hand has two RPGs coming out for the Wii this summer, Alien Syndrome and Opoona...The ladder looks kind of kiddie but you know what they say "Never judge a book by it's cover."

Leonheart188
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
all i can say is the wii owns, ps3=suckage, one of the biggest reason is that ps3 cant come up with anything original on its own. Sony is starting to lose its fans, the companies cant afford to make teh games, they cant affored the software, hardly any third party support the ps3 will have, due to they cant afford to, i admit the wii launch line-up, wasnt as good as it could of been, same as 360 and ps3, but same for each of them, they will pick up.

But i can tell u one thing, ps3 isnt going to catch up with the wii in figures, no way, you cant get hold of a wii, unless u have one, but if u want a ps3 you can go and walk into shop and ask, and there bound to have a one, a couple, over 20, people thought that they would buy a loads and sell them on ebay, big waste of time, the ps3 cant use the hardware that it has in it, sorry but it cant. The wii owns

Scream1008
06-06-2007, 05:14 PM
I bought a Wii. Morning it came out. My friend pressured me inot buying it, so I did. I hate it.

I dont really know why I hate it, but then again, I dont know why people like it. It bores me very quickly and the games suck. Even TP, I hate it.

So please tell me what you guys see in it, or if you hate it... you rock! lol. No but seriously, I just think the Wii is a passing phase and the PS3 will catch up in a year or two.

THE END

How could you possibly hate Twilight Princess?

Fonzie
06-06-2007, 05:35 PM
all i can say is the wii owns, ps3=suckage, one of the biggest reason is that ps3 cant come up with anything original on its own. Sony is starting to lose its fans, the companies cant afford to make teh games, they cant affored the software, hardly any third party support the ps3 will have, due to they cant afford to, i admit the wii launch line-up, wasnt as good as it could of been, same as 360 and ps3, but same for each of them, they will pick up.

But i can tell u one thing, ps3 isnt going to catch up with the wii in figures, no way, you cant get hold of a wii, unless u have one, but if u want a ps3 you can go and walk into shop and ask, and there bound to have a one, a couple, over 20, people thought that they would buy a loads and sell them on ebay, big waste of time, the ps3 cant use the hardware that it has in it, sorry but it cant. The wii owns

Just wait for MGS4. Things will change.

Endless
06-06-2007, 09:49 PM
The Cell Broadband Engine was developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba and is purported to deliver up to 10 times the processing speed of a typical home computer. The hype on the engine states that developers should be able to start approximating actual intelligence in games, rather than artificial intelligence[if anybody could give a quick explanation of what this could mean, it'd be great], meaning the enemies should get a lot smarter. The engine is capable of performing 200 billion calculations per second and has a clock speed of 3.2 GHz.

To answer the question in the brackets, it's marketing bullhype.

Leonheart188
06-06-2007, 11:34 PM
things wont change with MGS4, kojima, willl be to busy playing as snake on super smash bros brawl :)

Rostum
06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
You bought a Wii knowing that you hate Nintendo games? You suck my friend, not the Wii.

fantasyjunkie
06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
The Wii is something my wife would love. She's the very essence of casual gamer. She never could get into games with complex controls like football or most shooters but she picked up Animal Crossing quick.
The Wii is great for people like her that like simple games. It might not be for gamers like us but there are tons of casual gamers out there like my wife that would love the Wii.
Wow, I wonder if the Wii will ever have Animal Crossing, that would be cool... Dang,she'll have me pulling weeds again :mad:

Leonheart188
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
i agree with you but i dont, the wii is mosty for everyone for its hardcore old fan base, with its downloadable services, also casual gamers, are going to find the pin point accuracy very hard to use, and wont play the hardcore games like metroid prime, but like i said i agree with you to the point of the wii having casual games, that you can just pick up and play , wii sports, but for the hardcore gamers wait till super smash bros brawl comes out, then the hardcore will start, n haha weeding mwahaha

Mr Nice
06-08-2007, 11:48 PM

THE END

You're a let down to this community, you should be ashamed of yourself. The games are not boring, every game I own for the Nintendo Wii are great games. Perhaps you are just playing the worst games, or maybe you just suck. Get out a bit more, that's what I would suggest to you, because you obviously spend to much time playing games, the whole point of the Nintendo Wii is to demonstrate to gamers that gaming shouldn't be taken so seriously, it's just for a laugh. I find it most enjoyable when I have a few of my mates over and we spend all night playing on the Nintendo Wii. But you probably don't have any mates. Say what you like, but take it from someone who can be bothered to use full words to explain what he is talking about, the Nintendo Wii is a great games console, and I would love to see a Final Fantasy game made for the Wii.

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2007, 11:50 PM
This thread makes mii cry :cry:

demondude
06-09-2007, 09:04 PM
this thread started it all:(