PDA

View Full Version : Plodding through the 'Pedia

rubah
05-17-2007, 04:05 AM
I just finished a couple hours' reading on wikipedia.

I began with the Nikola Tesla article, from its mention on the Thinkin' Lincoln forums (an excellent web comic, by the way). Of course with Tesla, you can't help but have Edison, so I continued to the War of Currents, about how the two were embroiled in a bitter struggle to dominate america's electricity (tesla won, by most accounts; stick your finger into the 110 v socket that alternates at 60 hz for the proof.)

Of course with edison's hate for Alternating Current, you can't help but read about Old Sparkey, or rather, the electric chair. And once you go through all those gruesome details, you find yourself middleclicking links to the articles on lethal injection, gas chambers, and famous people who have been electrocuted, that is, after a brief tangent on Sing Sing prison and Electroshock Therapy.

The gas chambers of course, brings up recollection of the Nazis, so not only do you find yourself looking at Zyklon B, but also the G-something report.

Of course I can only stand reading for so long, and at a certain point in trawling wikipedia, I just don't care for the subject matter as much as I thought I did, so those last few didn't get very much attention.

What interesting wikipedia trails have you trodden recently?

Christmas
05-17-2007, 04:07 AM
I found out the secret of how filthy MANUSist communicate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manus_languages) with each other! :mad2:

Absconditus_Oraculum
05-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Done that a lot. All day once. Went through computer parts last. Just was looking up one thing, seen a link to soemthing else on there, another link on another page. Easy to just keep going with it till you can't stand to keep reading anymore.

kikimm
05-17-2007, 04:16 AM
The last thing I really read was an article on affirmative action. We've been discussing it a lot in my government class lately, and I had some pretty strong opinions about it, so I thought I would read up on it even more. To make sure I still felt the same way.

Shoeberto
05-17-2007, 04:22 AM
I tend to get on there and read about comic book characters and storylines and end up wasting very large amounts of time.

Also serial killers.

Iceglow
05-17-2007, 04:51 AM
last time I truly looked in the wiki, heraldric design was the topic or bastard swords were I was writing for the game I work on being it's medieval setting I use the wiki sometimes for accuracy on weapons I am unsure of when writing for them.

Fatal Impurity
05-17-2007, 05:44 AM
One time i went from an article about a Hentai company to an article about a lolicon game (no im not into that kinda stuff i just wanted to know what it was) from there i went on to the lolita complex, then onto a article about one of japans worst serial killers/child rapists then onto a artictle about Ottaku's then onto an american serial killer/rapist/cannibal from the 1800's then finally resting at cannabilism.

Wierd huh?

Nominus Experse
05-17-2007, 07:07 AM
I seem to find myself reading about the cosmos and astrophysics and relative scientific theories quite often.

ixnine
05-17-2007, 07:12 AM
The last time I was reading through Wiki I was reading about angels. Then I noticed topics about Satin, Lucifer, Beelzebub, etc. and learned they are actually different fallen angels. I always thought those were names that belonged to the same "devil".

Meat Puppet
05-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I enjoy studying up on the osseous vestibule to discover that ==kelly, is indeed, a major slut ===. I dare not mention what “old faithful” (my pet name for Wikipedia) has to say about Luke and autofellatio!

Big D
05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I often trundle through Wikipedia looking for trivial minutiae about my favourite TV shows, video games, and fictional characters in general. Lots of great material there.
Then I look at the articles on historical combat and am occasionally forced to laugh (like when the article on ninja claimed that real-life ninja used to have magical shoes that allowed them to run on water).

However, the single greatest article on Wikipedia is probably the one on Hammerspace. It's awfully amusing, as is its discussion page. It's articles like that which contribute to the fact that Wikipedia will never be taken seriously as an academic resource, but it's those very articles that make it such an awesome site.

Quindiana Jones
05-17-2007, 06:08 PM
John Zorn.

Old Manus
05-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Recently:
John Titor -> Waco Seige -> Jonestown -> Thousand-Yard Stare -> Combat Stress Reaction -> D-Day -> Battle of Normandy -> Adolf Hitler

GODDAMN YOU, GODWIN'S LAW