PDA

View Full Version : Liturgical Music

BG-57
05-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Today I was attending a church service and while they were serving communion two young men got up to play a piano/violin duet. And what were they playing? Aeris' theme from FFVII (the one you hear when the white materia is bouncing down the platforms). It sounded really nice, but the context was a little disconcerting to me.

TheSpoonyBard
05-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Was it, by any chance, the Church of the One-Winged Angel of latter day Summons?

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
did you stand up and shout "COPYRIGHT!!!" i think it would have been humourous to point out that they were in fact playing a song from a video game in church cos i bet no one knew.

that's it i'm playing cosmo canyon in church this week jus cos i can :D

squiike
05-17-2007, 10:04 PM
my uncle has a doctor degree in piano, so he has taught me the ff songs i know...so now im doing sonic green hill..he liked it so hes gonna play it at a school he is teaching at :choc2:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-17-2007, 11:13 PM
sonic songs rock! starlight zone is my fav (and i can play it too :D)

Big D
05-17-2007, 11:45 PM
While it's hardly an overwhelmingly "Christian" tune, it's still rather nice and fits well in a devotional setting, what with Aerith being a spiritual saviour-figure and all that.
did you stand up and shout "COPYRIGHT!!!" i think it would have been humourous to point out that they were in fact playing a song from a video game in church cos i bet no one knew.It's probably a technical breach of copyright unless they got permission to perform it, but unless they were doing it for profit it's seriously unlikely anyone would actually try to stop them.

BG-57
05-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Only other person I spoke with knew where it came from, not counting the musicians, obviously. I doubt very many people got the reference, including the minister. Shades of In the Garden of Eden by I. Ron Butterfly.

But it works better as devotional music if you don't know the origin. Thinking about video games during communion hardly seems reverential. :p