PDA

View Full Version : DVD suckage

Roto13
05-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Whenever I play a DVD on my computer using any program that plays DVDs, the picture and sound are always slow and choppy. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Discord
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Whenever I play a DVD on my computer using any program that plays DVDs, the picture and sound are always slow and choppy. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Four questions:

- Is it always the same DVD?
- Is it a recent problem or has it been around for a bit?
- Is there dust in the optics?
- Which DVD program?

Baloki
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Default answer is not enough processor or RAM.

Discord
05-18-2007, 05:20 PM

Default answer is not enough processor or RAM.

Could be an issue with the drive though. I know where you're coming from, but it could also be that sort of choppyness which you get when the drive tries reading the same sector for the 5th time and runs out of the cash.

Roto13
05-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I used to be able to watch DVDs on my computer with no problem. I've tried closing everything like Firefox and MSN and even uTorrent, but it doesn't help. I've tried several DVDs and they've all had the same problem. I trend InterVideo WinDVD, VLC, Windows Media Player, and something else also by InterVideo that I don't remember and they all had the same problem. When I play videos that are on my hard drive, they work fine (though I've experienced some stalling with MKV files).

I don't know about dust in the optics. Every other kind of disc (including audio CDs and DVD-ROMs) work fine.

rubah
05-19-2007, 12:29 AM
cds aren't nearly as high bandwidth.

Discord
05-19-2007, 01:39 AM
The big difference while watching the actual films is that you need a constant downstream. When you're playing a game, on a DVD, the most it does is copy file here and there, which could result in slightly longer loading times if it can't read the track from the first try.

If the guarantee has run out already, try getting blowing the dust out with one of those. I advice against blowing on it due to the high moisture content in your breath.

http://dolly.clone.free.fr/jpg/lavement.jpg

You get bonus points if you can remind me what those things are called. I've been struggling for about half an hour now, but I can't remember.