PDA

View Full Version : Point of the intro?

gothic_fantasy
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Can someone please tell me what the purpose of the [terrible] intro was?
How did Leblanc manage to look just like Yuna? The other characters didn't change into someone else when they used dresspheres or garment grids. For example, Yuna doesn't turn into an identical copy of Lenne when she becomes a songstress.
Why did Leblanc want to dress up as Yuna and sing anyway? She didn't even like her. I first thought it was to embarrass Yuna or something but everyone loved the "concert" (although I've never heard of a single song concert. only in Spira I suppose).
So what was the point?
It seems the only purpose was to show "Yuna's" transformation and singing a silly song (sorry to all those who actually liked it).
Personally I cringed when I saw it. It was shocking. I was almost embarrassed myself lol. :rolleyes2
It seems Square just insisted on having Yuna singing the song so they wrapped some lame plot line around it. In my opinion it would have been more convincing if it really was Yuna singing.
At least the 1000 Words scene had some purpose in the storyline, even if it was cheesy and farfetched like the rest of the game.
(again, apologies in advance to die hard fans of the game).
I don't hate X-2, I actually really enjoyed the gameplay but parts of it were just so ridiculous.

Jessweeee♪
05-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I liked it n.n

I was with my brother when I first started playing, and we were both like
OMGWTFWHYSYUNASINGINGTHEYALLLOOKDIFFERENTYANDWHAT'SWITHTHECHARLIE'SANGELINTRO!

I didn't not like it. I just thought it was wierd o.o

Tavrobel
05-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Intros are to introduce characters. If it doesn't shock you from being different from FFX, then you might have realized you're in for a very different game. The difference is would be that FFX-2 sucks, FFX doesn't.

Little Blue
05-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Oh shush you!

X-2 is riddled with plot holes, and many of the things you mention fit squarely in that label.

The introduction, as Tavrobel states, I guess is largely there to illustrate how severely different the game is to FFX. Otherwise, it makes no sense in terms of story. Though I think (I can't remember if this is actually said in the game or if I'm imagining it) Leblanc said she did it because she wanted to feel the love that Spira had for Yuna. As for why it changed here whole appearance, plot hole :p

Also, I don't see what's so cheesy and farfetched about 1000 Words? Is it the fact that a four minute song (+graphical aids) managed to get two groups on the verge of war to become friends? That's also what I would call a plot hole, but then I'm no expert on group psychology :p

Parts of the game may be ridiculous, but, like you said gothic_fantasy, its a hell of a lot of fun to play :)

Renmiri
05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Methinks Leblanc did it for the money

She saw that Yuna was a celebrity, saw an opportunity to make tons of gil by impersonating Yuna and voila! Tons of gil to her syndicate's coffers.

They were stealing a garment Grid from Shinra, maybe one of Leblanc's men knew how to work it so it made her look like Yuna ?

Namelessfengir
05-20-2007, 08:36 PM
C, the intro is to set the overall mood of the game
the fact that the garment grid makes leblanc look like yuna is because it's hers it's custom fitted. the spheres are overlaid on her body so if leblanc had her own garment grid and used the spheres they would take on a unique variation for her like how lined up all three girls have a different take on the spheres

gothic_fantasy
05-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Methinks Leblanc did it for the money

You know you actually have a very good point there I never thought of it that way...

the fact that the garment grid makes leblanc look like yuna is because it's hers it's custom fitted. the spheres are overlaid on her body so if leblanc had her own garment grid and used the spheres they would take on a unique variation for her like how lined up all three girls have a different take on the spheres

Perhaps but I still think it would have been more convincing if it really was Yuna, seeing as though she already was getting pretty far in Spira Idols lol. But thank goodness it wasn't Rikku at least.

Little Blue
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM

Given that all three girls can use the same grid at the same time, I somehow doubt that it can be customised to each girl or all three would end up looking like Yuna, or Rikku, or Paine...

BG-57
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
No doubt mercenary considerations influenced Leblanc's decision, but I think that in addition she's a diva and lives to show off in public. Giving a pop concert would be a natural progression for her. But people wouldn't flock to see her in concert as herself, but they sure would if they thought it was Yuna.

Tallulah
05-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I never got how the public accepted that Yuna (or someone who appeared to be Yuna) transformed from revered vanquisher of Sin to singing sensation. That weirded me out from the word go... :confused:

Or maybe it's like Sister Act in reverse, when the quiet religious type has to masquerade as a pop star to stay undercover. :P

Renmiri
05-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Well the entire Spira was undergoing a similar transformation from goody goody Yevon followers to "normal" people. Seeing their hero going through the same transformation made their own more acceptable.

Jessweeee♪
05-22-2007, 03:13 AM

Given that all three girls can use the same grid at the same time, I somehow doubt that it can be customised to each girl or all three would end up looking like Yuna, or Rikku, or Paine...

If you're going to think like that, then you may as well question how one sphere can be used by two people at once, or how a garmet grid can be used by two at once, or how a ring can make you immune or even absorb fire, or why they eat but don't go to the bathroom, or how Wakka's able to style his hair, and you get it now, I'll just stop.

Little Blue
05-22-2007, 09:06 AM

If you're going to think like that, then you may as well question how one sphere can be used by two people at once, or how a garmet grid can be used by two at once, or how a ring can make you immune or even absorb fire, or why they eat but don't go to the bathroom, or how Wakka's able to style his hair, and you get it now, I'll just stop.

Of course. Its as pointless trying to assign reason to any of the things you mention as it is trying to explain garment grids. In the end they're just game mechanics which have no reason to be based in logic and reality, and thus should just be accepted as is without explanation until such mechanics becomes part of the story, which the garment grid is. Thus they become seperated from mechanics and enter a relm of facts where everything observed about them must be accounted for. His theory accurately describes the Leblanc incident, but fails to account for observed behaviours in battle. However, until a better theory is developed, I too will just stop now.

Jessweeee♪
05-23-2007, 01:26 AM
What I meant was that it was just a game. How many other games, movies, or TV shows do you see with the same logic :jess:

gothic_fantasy
05-23-2007, 12:50 PM
If Days of our Lives can get away with it...

Big D
05-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Also, I don't see what's so cheesy and farfetched about 1000 Words? Is it the fact that a four minute song (+graphical aids) managed to get two groups on the verge of war to become friends?It wasn't the song that changed their minds. Shinra explains what happened afterward: he was using a sphere-based system to amplify the music, and that also amplified the energy from the Songstress sphere, which is why Lenne's image appeared. It also amplified and broadcast Lenne's emotions, as recorded in the sphere - her sense of loss and futility, the hopelessness of war - which is what affected the audience.

As for Leblanc looking like Yuna... she was clearly using something other than *just* Yuna's grid. Some kind of magical disguise, a simple illusory trick.

Namelessfengir
05-25-2007, 05:39 AM
added to my sig and just checking it out

Renmiri
05-25-2007, 05:44 PM
It wasn't the song that changed their minds. Shinra explains what happened afterward: he was using a sphere-based system to amplify the music, and that also amplified the energy from the Songstress sphere, which is why Lenne's image appeared. It also amplified and broadcast Lenne's emotions, as recorded in the sphere - her sense of loss and futility, the hopelessness of war - which is what affected the audience.

As for Leblanc looking like Yuna... she was clearly using something other than *just* Yuna's grid. Some kind of magical disguise, a simple illusory trick.
Great insights Big D!

It makes a lot of sense now that you explained it :love:

BG-57
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
It may be a coincidence, but the character of the Crimson Scorpion in the anime Steam Detectives is also an expert at disguise.

What is not a coincidence is that they share a talent for theft, are hopelessly vain, and employ flunkies with the same contrasting appearances. This is because they both were clearly inspired by an earlier anime character, Doronju of Time Bokan.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if Leblanc can convincingly impersonate others, why does use she that skill only that one time? Think of the possible uses.

Big D
05-26-2007, 01:41 AM
EDIT: Come to think of it, if Leblanc can convincingly impersonate others, why does use she that skill only that one time? Think of the possible uses.For all know, she's used it countless times in the past. But considering her distinctive personality, it's not likely she'd be able to con the Gullwings twice. She might be able to make herself look different, but actually pretending to be different is quite probably beyond her...

BG-57
05-26-2007, 01:58 AM
Wait, did she even con the Gullwings the first time? They had to know that she wasn't Yuna, since Yuna was part of the mission. She sure had me going, though.

But your point is well taken. She can play the concert diva since, well, she is a diva. Plus she dresses like a Las Vegas showgirl even when not on stage.

Having said that, to introduce that ability and then drop it seems like a wasted oppurtunity.

Big D
05-26-2007, 05:48 AM
Yeah, it was definitely something they could've used further...
And the Gullwings definitely knew it wasn't Yuna on the stage, hence them confronting her over the stolen Grid.

gothic_fantasy
05-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Yuna should've just marched in and pushed her off the stage instead of crying in a moogle suit in a corner. Guess even with the tough-chick makeover she's still just a breathless wimp.
I also hated the fact that Yuna used guns. It just didn't suit her, even her 'new' look. I would have rather had Paine using the guns and Yuna maybe using Tidus' sword like she does in her Warrior dresshere (which totally rocks, better than Paine's one). Any way would be fine but Yuna with guns just didn't do it for me.

Jaffer
05-31-2007, 09:59 AM
It's simple, the intro was a means of introducing the new Garment Grid system.

Tiamat3710
10-13-2007, 05:12 PM
the intro is to tell you that yuna has totally lost her dignity
braska must be spinning in his grave

Xear
10-16-2007, 11:06 AM
I thought the introduction was to show how different the world of Spira was without Sin. It would make sense for Yuna to preform at a concert, after all a sumoners job was to help people. This help could include helping either chear the world up or helping them nove on from the dark ages of Yevon's religous rule or even both.

Concerning LeBlancs robbery in the first scene. It is possible she did it just for attention, I also like the Idea she was a expert at dusquise.... and who knowss maybe she was using that tallent throughout the game to spy on Nooj or the three heros? :-D I would like to add two more possible ideas to be be concidered.

1) She did it to cut down the competion, If Yuna was percieved to be a pop star she might find it harder to be Lebalncs Rival. Thus making her job easier.

2) LeBlanc like the man who trianed the aroachs in Blitzball could be one of the few not happy with Yuna stealing the lime light. Forr better or worse LeBlance could just see Yuna as n anoyhing problem or threat due to her fame and nortority. She could of been hoping to debunk her.

On a final note :-P I think Yuna had guns because they where an easy weapon to learn. It made more sense that Paine had the Sword by deafault due to her background, Yuna simply got guns becuase her staff was made redundant. And more importantly she got the guns when Riki gave her the make over. This make over was done to make Yuna seem lik another or new person. We have seen her in 10 2 struggle with peoples ecpectation of the old her, and she had it alot worse at the end of final fantasy 10 in a specail DVD feature. She agreed to run off with Riki, and have a compeat image chage that included doing somthing radical :) (People would not stop going on pilgramages to see her, and even had people trying to mary her )

Guns are ne new cool in SPira anyway, a sword of her dead boyfriends would of just let the locals link her to her old self.

ReloadPsi
10-16-2007, 11:13 AM
although I've never heard of a single song concert. only in Spira I suppose

They have Blitzball tournaments with five games, each lasting about ten minutes in total. Play the matches back to back with no pauses (but taking halftime into account) and a whole tournament isn't much longer than an hour.

Also, Spira's got a population of about 300 people. They think really small over there.