PDA

View Full Version : up the downstairs [fixed]

rubah
05-19-2007, 06:04 AM
Alright. I'm reading this book "The Last Vampire 5: Evil Thirst" and it's about this superhuman chick who is (obviously) a vampire. In it, she is running down the stairs from the 36th floor and apparently makes it that distance and across a road in less than a minute.

Now, judging from my experiences with running down stairs, if this chick was to hit every step, wouldn't gravity be the limiting factor in how fast she could go down?(superhuman speed and strength, remember) When for every step forward you have to wait that 9.8m/s*xm before your foot actually hits the ground (and remember you have to add in the vertical distance the act of moving your legs adds).

I figure she just jumped from landing to landing, if not down the stairwell itself.

Agrias
05-19-2007, 06:06 AM
If she's a vampire, she probably jumped down the middle and landed all cool like.

Yamaneko
05-19-2007, 07:58 AM
I fixed your title.

Bunny
05-19-2007, 01:16 PM
You are reading a book about vampires and you are trying to make sense about a bunch of stairs.

Oooookay.

Old Manus
05-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Sounds like an exciting book.

rubah
05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
We do not approve, yams.

Bunny, I read the whole series before many times, so obviously I can accept in my mind the existence of vampires. It's just now that the glaring typographical errors and strange actions that catch my attention!

Renmiri
05-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Strange as in melt when the sun goes up and eat blood ?

Suspended disbelief means you ignore all the plot holes ;)

escobert
05-19-2007, 08:22 PM
She teleports.

Harmless
05-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't hit every step when I run down stairs.

rubah
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
renmiri, disobeying the laws of physics is not a plot hole!

The suspended disbelief goes as far as to accept that lol there are vampires, and they have exceptional traits. However, the vampire herself mentions that she is susceptible to the laws of gravity etc, so it seems that normal conditions prevail!

(also she can stay out in the sun!)

She does not have teleport abilities, else she wouldn't have to run downstairs in the first place!