PDA

View Full Version : StarCraft 2, for really really reals.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2007, 07:15 AM
IGN: Blizzard's Worldwide Invitational Begins (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html)

3:00 - FMV sequence in a spaceship - looks Terran - zooming in on a metal door - door opening - reveals a guy with a cigar in chains - prisoner - door shuts behind him - there's so much bass the room is shaking - guy steps into some kind of metallic devicce - legs are strapped in - guy rising toward ceiling - Korean text on screen got people very excited - another part of the machine is dropping metal arms on him - machine whirring - applying armor to his torso - extremly detailed visuals here - now guy is strapping on gloves - armor is molding together - seems like a Terran marine - rockets turn on - zerg now onscreen - Marine delivers a line - StarCraft 2 officially announced.

Discuss how there is a God after all.

Fatal Impurity
05-19-2007, 08:26 AM
......I'm truly speechless...i never thought they were gonna release a sequal to Starcraft.

Larahl
05-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Now I'll just have to get a new, better, computer.

Captain Maxx Power
05-19-2007, 11:06 AM
The koreans are going to have a field day over this one.

Personally I wish they'd announced Diablo 3 instead, but hey ho, whatchagonnado?

Markus. D
05-19-2007, 12:34 PM
oh ma gawsh oh ma gawsh oh ma gawsh~ OH MA GAWSH~~~

Slothy
05-19-2007, 02:29 PM
How many people are actually surprised that it was Starcraft 2 they announced? I'm not in the least, but I am extremely happy. :D

Black Mage
05-19-2007, 03:40 PM
It was pretty much a given when we found out it was being announced in Korea.

Super excited though. I loved the first game, and can't wait to try out this one. Looks like they're sticking pretty close to the original as well, which is only a plus in my book.

Fonzie
05-19-2007, 04:22 PM
I WANT MY DIABLO 3. :(

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Want. Want much.

Necronopticous
05-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Personally I wish they'd announced Diablo 3 instead, but hey ho, whatchagonnado?In time.

Tavrobel
05-19-2007, 06:43 PM
THERE IS A GOD

WOO HOO OHH BABY

Araciel
05-19-2007, 07:57 PM
yes this is amazing news...i will need a new computer!

diablo 3 is something i've been pining for for a long, long, long time too and if they actually release said game as well....well blizzard is already my favourite developer, but i might just have to propose marriage.

Skyblade
05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Hell, it's about time.

Quoted for truth.

Madame Adequate
05-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Hellgate: London = Diablo 3.

Elly
05-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Wootage!!! good thing i just built a new computer... hell yeah it's about time... everyone i know is gonna pee their pants when they hear this, well maybe not but they will be truly excited...

"thank god for Cold Fusion"

Discord
05-19-2007, 11:53 PM
StarCraft II (http://eu.starcraft2.com/)

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

utelektr
05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
FWEE! SC2! *glee*

NINJA_Ryu
05-20-2007, 10:43 PM
now, if they include or incorporate DOW/COH gameplay, i will die of glee

Discord
05-21-2007, 10:53 PM
We'll finally have Heroes in Starcraft, e.g. Protoss mothership.=D I just wonder if they'll also get level-ups...

Tavrobel
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Jim Raynor = God
Zeratul = God
Kerrigan = fail

Skyblade
05-22-2007, 12:41 AM
We'll finally have Heroes in Starcraft, e.g. Protoss mothership.=D I just wonder if they'll also get level-ups...

The Protoss Mothership doesn't really strike me as a "Hero" unit. Yeah, it's really powerful and you can only have one of them, but usually the heroes are specific units, while the mothership just seems to be a general use unit.

Anyway, we've had heroes in Starcraft before: Tassadar, Raynor, Zeratul, Fenix, etc... It will be interesting to see if Warcraft III's hero system will be used, though.

Tavrobel
05-22-2007, 01:01 AM
Seems like the mothership is either a special unit, or another along the lines of Carrier or BC.

Heroes would probably have realistic skills.

However, I am far more concerned with the map editor. SC's wasn't too powerful, but it was easy to use, making it arguably as useful as WCIII, since you have to sift through all of the commands.

Elite Lord Sigma
05-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Good-bye life, I knew ye well.

Jowy
05-22-2007, 03:41 AM
I wish to make love to Zeratul.

I've already re-installed SC and began to play single-player. I can't find my Brood War disc though. D:

VorpalCyberWolf
05-22-2007, 04:57 AM
The koreans are going to have a field day over this one.

Personally I wish they'd announced Diablo 3 instead, but hey ho, whatchagonnado?

^
What he said.

TyphoonThaReapa
05-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Please don't tell me this is just on PC...:(

Necronopticous
05-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Real Time Strategy doesn't translate very well to console.

I couldn't imagine playing Starcraft 2 on anything other than PC.

Kirobaito
05-22-2007, 07:12 AM

The n64 version of the original was awful.

Rostum
05-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Yes... yes, yes! And I just upgraded my computer too.

:love:

Lindy
05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
The Korean aspect made Starcraft 2 painfully obvious; if anything else had been announced then the poor Blizzard employees would have been murdered, raped and had their entrails used as jewelery. If they were very lucky, it would have happened in that order too.

Slothy
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Please don't tell me this is just on PC...:(

I would have thought it to be obvious. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/790/790148p1.html) You couldn't pay me to play an RTS designed for the PC on a console.

Jowy
05-22-2007, 03:20 PM

The n64 version of the original was awful.

I liked Starcraft 64. The interface was a bit sloppy compared to the PC version, but we still had some great multiplayer nights out of it.

Madame Adequate
05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
The Korean aspect made Starcraft 2 painfully obvious; if anything else had been announced then the poor Blizzard employees would have been murdered, raped and had their entrails used as jewelery. If they were very lucky, it would have happened in that order too.

It could also have been an MMO or a reactivated Ghost project.

Discord
05-22-2007, 06:04 PM

The Protoss Mothership doesn't really strike me as a "Hero" unit. Yeah, it's really powerful and you can only have one of them, but usually the heroes are specific units, while the mothership just seems to be a general use unit.

Anyway, we've had heroes in Starcraft before: Tassadar, Raynor, Zeratul, Fenix, etc... It will be interesting to see if Warcraft III's hero system will be used, though.

I think it can be a hero. I mean, it doesn't really matter what it's called in the multiplayer, but in the SP it could well be some character flying it.

Lindy
05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Koreans play Starcraft like it's a sport, imagine the angry response if the Super Bowl was cancelled and the angry beer-fuelled riots of American Football fans.

Now multiply that by two hundred and you have the response to anything other than Starcraft 2.

Also, Blizzard MMO style is too easy in comparison to the kind that Koreans love.

Discord
05-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I wish they did publish Ghost though or at least open sourced the code...:(

Splinter Cell/Thief/MGS in StarCraft universe would've been great.:crying:

Lindy
05-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Last I saw of Ghost, it was a vile run-and-gun affair, rather than a tension-fueled psychic stealth epic.

Discord
05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Last I saw of Ghost, it was a vile run-and-gun affair, rather than a tension-fueled psychic stealth epic.

Hmm... well, it looked like one to me.

bipper
05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
THERE IS A GOD

WOO HOO OHH BABY

I PEED!

Nominus Experse
05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
2008 looks to be a very good year:

Starcraft II comes out
Bush is forced to step down
My girlfriend graduates
I'll have moved to a new city

Tavrobel
05-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Starcraft II comes out 2008

LOL no.

fire_of_avalon
05-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I never played Starcraft, but when my boyfriend and I saw the trailer this weekend he kind of shook a little. I lol'd.

Slothy
05-22-2007, 09:15 PM

Except that Ghost wouldn't be a big announcement at this point having gone through the hands of at least two developers, and a couple of revisions. Blizzard have also said in the past that they don't want to be known as an MMO company only, making a Starcraft MMO unlikely (at least as far as this announcement was concerned).

Hmm... well, it looked like one to me.

Like I said, it went through a couple of developers and a few major overhauls throughout development. I think more of a stealth game was the original intention, but the reason Blizzard pulled the plug was because the devs they had working on it couldn't pull it off in a way they were happy with.

Discord
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Well, it wasn't the first time. They've also cancelled that Warcraft adventure-game where you solve puzzles with Thrall. Seems like Blizzard is going for quality rather than quantity.

I really think it's a pity that they just dump the games though. If you look at Ghost, it does have a look of an alpha-test already. Smooth animation, special moves, prerendered intro, a large number of levels and so forth. I doubt that it'll ever come out for the 7th gen. consoles, but just rust somewhere in the archives. :(

Freya
05-23-2007, 12:02 AM
I jumped with glee. Me and my friend were thinking about our lan parties we had in 5th grade. This is going to be cool.

Slothy
05-23-2007, 01:40 AM
I really think it's a pity that they just dump the games though. If you look at Ghost, it does have a look of an alpha-test already. Smooth animation, special moves, prerendered intro, a large number of levels and so forth. I doubt that it'll ever come out for the 7th gen. consoles, but just rust somewhere in the archives. :(

If I remember correctly, I believe they just said that Ghost was on hold until they could find a suitable developer. Now that probably means that best case scenario, they find someone else to develop it and they have to start from scratch, but they didn't say they were abandoning it completely. I suppose there's some hope there (though not much obviously), but who can say for sure. I definitely agree that they're going for quality, and as much as it sucks to have good concepts shelved for who knows how long, it's nice to see a company with those kinds of standards. I can think of a few others that could learn a lot from them in that regard.