PDA

View Full Version : Can you store Coca-Cola bottles in the freezer?

Peter_20
05-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm soon gonna dash off and buy this:

http://www.freebackgrounds.com/photos_A000001.jpg

Now I'm not completely satisfied with the temperature they get in the fridge, so I'm just wondering if you can put these bottles in the freezer?
I have no ice cubes or anything, so I can't use ice in order to cool it.

Renmiri
05-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Depending on how long you leave them there, how full the bottle is and how tight the lid is, they will pop.

Ice takes more volume than soda so if you manage to leave it long enough that a sizable part of the liquid converts to ice it will force the lid open until it pops.

1/2 hour to an hour should be enough to chill it safely, then move it to the regular refrigerator to avoid getting a soda explosion on your freezer

Zeldy
05-19-2007, 09:22 PM
I wanted a Cherryade icecube and it ended up exploding all over the freezer. If you leave it in the Freezer for 20 or so minutes, it'll be very chilled. :)

Harmless
05-19-2007, 09:23 PM
You could make ice cubes in the time it would take for the Coke to be near-frozen anyway.

Little Blue
05-19-2007, 09:31 PM
If you adjust the temperature of the fridge you can get it near freezing without actually risking freezing it and having it pop should you forget it. It just takes a bit longer.

Rengori
05-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Don't put it in the freezer, the pressure of the gas will get much higher in the freezer, and they eventually explode. And having to scrape frozen Coca Cola off of all the food and walls of the freezer is no fun.

Agent Proto
05-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Yeah, you can keep bottles in the freezer, but only for as long before it explodes on you. However, it's recommended that you DON'T store them in the freezer.

Formalhaut
05-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Is say if you had a bottle of pepsi (Nice and fizzy) and it was warm (:eek:)
then put it in a freezer for 10-20 min. As the other Part of it a bit slow in cooling. but don't put it in too long tough, or
KA-BAM!!!!
It will explode. Which will make you go like this :mad2:, this :eek:,:eep: or this :crying: Either way, you won't like it.

rubah
05-19-2007, 10:16 PM
fun fact: the freezing point of coke is lower than water!

I like to chill Bawls for about twenty minutes; long enough to get little icicles in it, but it's drinkable (and delicious) that is for 10.5 oz. <del>A 20oz (little less than a liter) coke would probably be safe for half an hour or even forty minutes.</del>

LOL I forgot that Colligative properties (such as freezing point depression!) disregard volume! Check it if you freeze it.

yanis
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I never had any explosions putting coca-cola or pepsi in the freezer! :confused: ...It's just takes too long to unfreeze it (if you leave it for too long, like for a day :riiight:) coz you can't actually drink it...

Mitch
05-20-2007, 02:07 AM
Of course you can put them in there. Unless you have a freakishly tiny frizzer.

Xaven
05-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Just buy an icecube tray. :P

You can try putting coke in it instead of water. Then just add those coke-cubes to your refrigerated coke to cool it off without watering it down (yuck).

Or, if you have plastic bottles, open one and pour a little bit of the coke out and squeeze the bottle until the coke-level inside is just below the overflowing out the neck. Then you can freeze it and the plastic will have more lee-way to expand when the soda freezes and expands.
-If that didn't make sense, it doesn't matter. You can't even drink solid coke from a bottle anyway. :P

Meat Puppet
05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
In my family’s holiday home up north (north, at least, from the place the family is usually located), I found an (unopened, glass) bottle of Coca Cola from 1994. I had no idea how long it had actually been in the freezer, but I didn’t risk dealing with it (I left the bottle out and paid someone else to drink it)

blackmage_nuke
05-20-2007, 02:28 AM
You could pour coke in a bowl then freeze it but i dont know what'll happen

Discord
05-20-2007, 04:19 AM
You could pour coke in a bowl then freeze it but i dont know what'll happen

The worst thing that could happen would be the bowl running over and Peter_20 cleaning his freezer.

rubah
05-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Anything that ran out would be frozen, because the ice would come to the top because it's less dense xD

Discord
05-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Anything that ran out would be frozen, because the ice would come to the top because it's less dense xD

And there's nothing better than ripping the ice-chunks of your freezer's walls.

Rengori
05-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Then just add those coke-cubes to your refrigerated coke to cool it off without watering it down (yuck).
Finally someone else doesn't like it when the ice cubes water down your soda.

Sergeant Hartman
05-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Just try it once......

Old Manus
05-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Depending on how long you leave them there, how full the bottle is and how tight the lid is, they will pop.

Ice takes more volume than soda so if you manage to leave it long enough that a sizable part of the liquid converts to ice it will force the lid open until it pops.

1/2 hour to an hour should be enough to chill it safely, then move it to the regular refrigerator to avoid getting a soda explosion on your freezer

I wanted a Cherryade icecube and it ended up exploding all over the freezer. If you leave it in the Freezer for 20 or so minutes, it'll be very chilled. :)

If you adjust the temperature of the fridge you can get it near freezing without actually risking freezing it and having it pop should you forget it. It just takes a bit longer.

Don't put it in the freezer, the pressure of the gas will get much higher in the freezer, and they eventually explode. And having to scrape frozen Coca Cola off of all the food and walls of the freezer is no fun.

Yeah, you can keep bottles in the freezer, but only for as long before it explodes on you. However, it's recommended that you DON'T store them in the freezer.

Is say if you had a bottle of pepsi (Nice and fizzy) and it was warm (:eek:)
then put it in a freezer for 10-20 min. As the other Part of it a bit slow in cooling. but don't put it in too long tough, or
KA-BAM!!!!
It will explode. Which will make you go like this :mad2:, this :eek:,:eep: or this :crying: Either way, you won't like it.

So guys, does it explode in the freezer?

Sergeant Hartman
05-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Don't be so silly.

Tallulah
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Don't be so silly.

It does! When we were off on a school trip in Year 7 (13 years ago! :eek:) one of the teachers, Ms Lane, put a bottle of cola in the freezer, and some of us were hanging out on the grass minding our own business when we heard a bang and a horrible scream. For one terrible second I thought it was an insane gunman in our lodge, then I realised it was the soda bottle blowing up because of the expanding frozen liquid, and compressed gas. A lesson well learnt! :D

BTW, cola ice cubes sounds like a fantastic idea!

Sergeant Hartman
05-20-2007, 12:36 PM
BTW, cola ice cubes sounds like a fantastic idea!
I tried that once, all the ice cubes got stuck to the top of the freezer :(

Savern Volaco
05-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Ever tried tea? Instead of soda.

Jaffamitsu
05-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I once made my own ice tea with lemon...wasnt really too nice to be honest...Kinda bland...:eep:

rubah
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
I made ice cubes out of fanta once. They were like popcicles!

I remember when my brother or sister made dr. pepper ice a long time ago. It takes more coldness to freeze though, so they usually end up kinda mushy and don't set up too well :(

Necronopticous
05-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Do you guys remember the old 2-liter bottles with those black bases?

Those things were weird.

Shlup
05-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Welcome to 5th grade science, Peter. No, you cannot store a bottle of Coke in the freezer. At least not for longer than an hour.

rubah
05-20-2007, 08:56 PM
did you do a lab on this recently, shlup?

sockmonkey
05-21-2007, 03:56 PM
In my family’s holiday home up north (north, at least, from the place the family is usually located), I found an (unopened, glass) bottle of Coca Cola from 1994. I had no idea how long it had actually been in the freezer, but I didn’t risk dealing with it (I left the bottle out and paid someone else to drink it)

As long as it was frozen solid the whole time it should have been fine.
Scientists have dug up 20,000 year old frozen mammoths and the meat was still good.

starseeker
05-21-2007, 04:50 PM
The only way you could store coke in the freezer is if it isn't a full bottle. If the bottle is only about 2/3 full it's fine. I found this out from making ice bottles to take into school during the summer.

Rengori
05-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Scientists have dug up 20,000 year old frozen mammoths and the meat was still good.
Who's tasting?

Lynx
05-22-2007, 05:29 AM
coke will survive in the freezer. pepsi wont because coke rules and pepsi sucks :D

Mirage
05-22-2007, 05:38 AM
You can store plastic bottles full of liquid there though, because those bottles are slightly flexible. Glass however, would shatter, and cans would probably pop too.

Jess
05-22-2007, 08:40 PM
I've never found a bottle to explode in the freezer no matter how long I've left it in there, aslong as it wasn't completely full.

stalpho slayer
05-22-2007, 09:05 PM
Then just add those coke-cubes to your refrigerated coke to cool it off without watering it down (yuck).
Finally someone else doesn't like it when the ice cubes water down your soda.

i'll third that it taste like crap ewww