PDA

View Full Version : Curiosities of FF7

Cloud_611
05-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Hello everyone;)

I'm new in this forum and I wonder if you could help me in something. I'm making a work of FF for a work of high school and I thought that entering in a forum like that was a good idea. I wonder if you knew some interesting things and curiosities related with the game to put them in the work.

Thank you very much!!!

P.D. I'm still learrning english so perhaps I make some mistakes:(

Jaffamitsu
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
What lesson is it? And what is it you want? Storyline stuff?

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-20-2007, 07:30 PM
can you tell us what this project will contain? are you wanting to know things like religious references or the minds of madmen?

Necronopticous
05-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Lesson 1:

Cloud has a giant sword.

Lesson 2:

Sephiroth has a really long sword.

Cloud_611
05-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Thank you for answering so quickly!!!

I'm doing the work of all the FF's in general but especially of FF7. It has to treat about evertything in the game (story, characters, staff...). I'm relating the game with mythology 'cause all of the elements related with greek, roman, nordic... mythologies. But I also want to put the strange things like mistakes in the game, easter eggs or the appearence of things like the marth's face in some FF's. Things like that.

Thank you very much again!!!

Jaffamitsu
05-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Well for starters i guess you could mention the summons such as Odin, Ifrit, Shiva and more, are related to gods and godesses etc.

Also Cait Sith is a Gaelic word, meaning literally "fairy cat". In Irish fairy
stories, Cait Sith is in many King of Cats tales, which is why he wears a
crown in the game...Only found that out the other day :)

Please don't double post, use the edit button. -Necro (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/necronopticous.html)

darksword12
05-21-2007, 03:22 AM
Could you define "work?" :confused:

six underground
05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
what a fun project!!:) havfun!!:)

BG-57
05-21-2007, 12:29 PM
While the game has its share of translation errors, the most curious one is that a monster and an item that it can drop (which is named after it) have different translations.

Bagrisks (which have a pertrification attack) at low levels drop Vagrysk Claws (which cause petrification). Both are transliterations of Basilisk, which is a mythical creature with a petrifying gaze.

BTW, you can also get Vagrysk Claws by deliberately losing a Fort Condor battle and take on a Command Grand Horn in single combat.

Cloud_611
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Could you define "work?" :confused:
In the end of high school in catalonia (Spain) we have to make a work called "treball de recerca" . It counts like any school subject like mathematics and the subject of the work is totally free, but it has to be something extense and well done.

You dedicate many hours of the summer doing that work so it's better to choose something that you really like or it is a pain doing it. So I choose to do it about Final Fantasy.:greenie:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-21-2007, 05:20 PM
expansion on summon monsters, there is of course knights of the round, which we all undoubtedly know is taken from the knights of the round table back in the days of camelot.

for the characters, there are some which have been sepculated to be real-life people (e.g barret = Mr. T).

hav fun writing about the complexity of cloud's story! :D

Laddy
05-21-2007, 06:17 PM
How about the fact that is was rushed yet it still became one of the top games of all time?

BG-57
05-22-2007, 12:17 AM
In the end of high school in catalonia (Spain) we have to make a work called "treball de recerca" . It counts like any school subject like mathematics and the subject of the work is totally free, but it has to be something extense and well done.

This is off topic, but where in Catalunya? I lived on the campus of Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona for a year. :)

And I named my guinea pig Rubi. :greenie:

daggertrepe
05-22-2007, 02:06 AM
QUESTION: How did Jenova open the door when sephiroth came in her place at Nibel?

Cloud_611
05-22-2007, 06:20 PM

This is off topic, but where in Catalunya? I lived on the campus of Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona for a year. :)

And I named my guinea pig Rubi. :greenie:

This work has to be done by all the studients of High Schools in the whole Catalunya. You can choose any subject as I said, it hasn't to be related with the things that you are studying.

If you have lived in Catalunya you'll probably know a little of catalan. In this link there are some examples of treballs de recerca. You'll see a lot of differents subjects.
Batxillerat, Treballs de recerca, STUCOM CENTRE D'ESTUDIS: Cicles Formatius barcelona, Centre d'estudis, Bachilleratos, Ciclos Formativos, barcelona,, informacion, informatica, telecomunicaciones (http://www.stucom.com/alumnes/alumnes3.asp)

I'll probably go to the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona when I finish with the High School :tongue:. It's funny the life in Barcelona, right?

Cloud_611
05-22-2007, 06:22 PM
QUESTION: How did Jenova open the door when sephiroth came in her place at Nibel?

I suppose that it was Hojo who opened the door, don't you think?:confused:

BG-57
05-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe you should ask us any questions you have. I'm not sure how you're going to approach this project yet.

This work has to be done by all the studients of High Schools in the whole Catalunya. You can choose any subject as I said, it hasn't to be related with the things that you are studying.

If you have lived in Catalunya you'll probably know a little of catalan. In this link there are some examples of treballs de recerca. You'll see a lot of differents subjects.
Batxillerat, Treballs de recerca, STUCOM CENTRE D'ESTUDIS: Cicles Formatius barcelona, Centre d'estudis, Bachilleratos, Ciclos Formativos, barcelona,, informacion, informatica, telecomunicaciones (http://www.stucom.com/alumnes/alumnes3.asp)

I'll probably go to the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona when I finish with the High School :tongue:. It's funny the life in Barcelona, right?

Sadly, I learned very little Catalan in my stay there, mainly because I went to the British Kensington High School as a Lower Sixth (= Junior in the US) and the Anglican St. George's Church, both of which were English speaking.

I found Barcelona an amazing city, with strong cultural and musical life. Out of all the cities I visited in Spain, it's still my favorite. UAB seemed to be a good school. I hope you enjoy it if you go there. :)

Cloud_611
05-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Maybe you should ask us any questions you have. I'm not sure how you're going to approach this project yet.

Sadly, I learned very little Catalan in my stay there, mainly because I went to the British Kensington High School as a Lower Sixth (= Junior in the US) and the Anglican St. George's Church, both of which were English speaking.

I found Barcelona an amazing city, with strong cultural and musical life. Out of all the cities I visited in Spain, it's still my favorite. UAB seemed to be a good school. I hope you enjoy it if you go there. :)

OK ;) Just say whatever you find interesting of the game. It doesn't matter what it is, I'm also interested with all the opinions about the games of FF. It will help me a lot.:greenie:

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
05-24-2007, 08:50 PM
i always wondered y u ended up with an animal like creature in you party (7=nanaki 8= moomba in prison 9=everyone! 10=kimahri). maybe this has something to do with accepting new cultures and races in the real world

Cloud_611
05-25-2007, 05:50 PM
i always wondered y u ended up with an animal like creature in you party (7=nanaki 8= moomba in prison 9=everyone! 10=kimahri). maybe this has something to do with accepting new cultures and races in the real world

You're probably right. Most of the FF series have different races or specific creatures of the game. Also a lot of times the game criticizes parts of the society like in FFX. This things also happens in the real life. But I don't know what is FFVII criticizing. The capitalism of Shinra maybe :confused:

P.D. In FFIX, the humes are in danger of extinction. I don't remember th year tha the FF IX's story takes place, but in 50 years the hipopotamus will have colonized the world, with their great speed in the races :D

demondude
05-25-2007, 06:34 PM
notice the emo pattern

cloud squall amarant lulu paine fran it never ends

Dragon Mage
05-26-2007, 05:37 AM
oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo mythology!!! I LOVE mythology!!! And FF7 is filled with norse mythology!! awesome!

Well, where to begin? For starters, the city of Midgar is one letter away from being Midgard, the tree of life. (or was it where the gods lived? I forget) I found this rather interesting, as Midgar is a city of death.

At the base of the Midgard is a well of knowledge. Does this strike as familar with the church in the slums.......? See the connection??

Midgar Zolom, the huge snake, is clearly the Orborous, or the Midgard Serpent, as he was called in Norse mythology. It was a giant serpent that circled the world twice, biting it's own tail; it was also Thor's greatest enemy.

Of course, there's the more obvious things, like Cloud's swords, Ragnarok (the ending of the world via a battle between the giants and the gods) and Apocylpse, basically the same thing.

Odin, of course is there as well. But they got their facts wrong in the game: the horse has eight legs, not just six! :p

The temple of the ancients can almost relate to being Valhalla. Think about it: when the protectors of the planet die, they returned to their temple....(or at least, that's where they're the strongest). Don't tell me that doesn't strike you as Valhalla!!!

Then, of course, there's always the obvious main character's theme, seen more clearly in the movie. For example, the bike is named Fenrir; the wolf that would swallow the sun (in some legends, it varies) and would be killed by Thor.

There's plenty more, I'm sure, but I can't think of them all right now! I'll post them when I do!!!

Cloud_611
05-26-2007, 02:38 PM
oooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo mythology!!! I LOVE mythology!!! And FF7 is filled with norse mythology!! awesome!

Well, where to begin? For starters, the city of Midgar is one letter away from being Midgard, the tree of life. (or was it where the gods lived? I forget) I found this rather interesting, as Midgar is a city of death.

At the base of the Midgard is a well of knowledge. Does this strike as familar with the church in the slums.......? See the connection??

Midgar Zolom, the huge snake, is clearly the Orborous, or the Midgard Serpent, as he was called in Norse mythology. It was a giant serpent that circled the world twice, biting it's own tail; it was also Thor's greatest enemy.

Of course, there's the more obvious things, like Cloud's swords, Ragnarok (the ending of the world via a battle between the giants and the gods) and Apocylpse, basically the same thing.

Odin, of course is there as well. But they got their facts wrong in the game: the horse has eight legs, not just six! :p

The temple of the ancients can almost relate to being Valhalla. Think about it: when the protectors of the planet die, they returned to their temple....(or at least, that's where they're the strongest). Don't tell me that doesn't strike you as Valhalla!!!

Then, of course, there's always the obvious main character's theme, seen more clearly in the movie. For example, the bike is named Fenrir; the wolf that would swallow the sun (in some legends, it varies) and would be killed by Thor.

There's plenty more, I'm sure, but I can't think of them all right now! I'll post them when I do!!!

Thank you for this information ;). I've searched in the wikipedia information about Midgard, it appers some of the things that you said, but it doesn't say anything about a well of knowledge at the base of Midgard :confused:.

However I found something quite interesting. It looks like that Midgard is in the Middle of Yggdrassil, a giant tree that connects the nine worlds of the norse mythology (if you've played any game of the tales series this name will be quite familiar). I think that the Yggdrassil could be the Shinra building, and it's connecting the 9 sectors (if we count sector 0).

gothic_fantasy
06-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Where was Cloud in the FMV of Aeri's death? That FMV is a curiosity itself.

PresidentSEARS
06-18-2007, 11:22 AM

In FFLegend you can change any of your allys into monsters at any point (with the addition of monster meat)

Cledarius
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
In nearly every FF there are polititcs that cause war between humans and/or humans/other races.

A special thing about all FFs is, that in all FFs theres a character named Cid. In some he's a party member in others he is a king, a mechanic etc.

Also there are some monsters that appear in every FF like Bombs, mandragoras, wolfs etc.

Mythology:

Shiva (also called Siva) is an idian god. The intresting part is, that Shiva in the FF's is female but in the Shaivism (sort of hinduism) Shiva is male. Shiva is the highest god in the hinduism. He's the god of creation and destruction. It's also said he's the "King of dance". With the dance he simbolisizes the circle of time.
Also Shiva has 108 other names.

Ifrits in contemporary popular mythology are jinn spirits that embody fire. They consider themselves superior to all races because they supposedly "came first," and they resent deeply that humans have found magical ways to take control over them. Even when tasked, they show an ironic and malicious attitude, tending to subvert their masters' orders every time they can.
They often appear as individuals of superhuman beauty and strength, but are very difficult to deal with.
Ifrit is one of five jinns in arabia.

So far. more will come if i get more time (have to work)

Cloud_611
06-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Where was Cloud in the FMV of Aeri's death? That FMV is a curiosity itself.

This FMV is full of mistakes :D Did you notice that sephiroth loses his gloves and that the floor decoration changes in that FMV?

ReloadPsi
06-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Well for starters i guess you could mention the summons such as Odin, Ifrit, Shiva and more, are related to gods and godesses etc.

Also Cait Sith is a Gaelic word, meaning literally "fairy cat". In Irish fairy
stories, Cait Sith is in many King of Cats tales, which is why he wears a
crown in the game...Only found that out the other day :)

Please don't double post, use the edit button. -Necro (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/necronopticous.html)

It's also why he was Scottish in Advent Children and so on.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
06-18-2007, 04:18 PM
also in the flawed FMV, the holy materia falls from the back of aerith's head towards the back of the alter, then falls down the stairs at the front of the alter! don't you just love picking fault :D

gothic_fantasy
06-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Sephiroth doesn't have nipples.

Cloud_611
06-18-2007, 06:54 PM
also in the flawed FMV, the holy materia falls from the back of aerith's head towards the back of the alter, then falls down the stairs at the front of the alter! don't you just love picking fault :D

yes it's very funny, this is the most interesting part of the work :D . In that FMV there's another mistake. When Sephiroth is falling the altar where there is Aerith becomes a black hole.

True :D , I didn't notice it. I suppose that this is a matter of aesthetics:)

Cledarius
06-21-2007, 07:10 PM
So, do you need more info or is that enough? I can give you much more if you wish!

Cloud_611
06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
So, do you need more info or is that enough? I can give you much more if you wish!

I think that I have a lot of information right now. I've been searching a lot these days and I think that I have enought information, but if you know anything that you think that it is difficult to find or interesting you can post it in this forum.

Thank you very much for you help ;)

Christmas
05-30-2022, 12:22 PM

I was late! And I thought i made such an impressive discovery! :(

BG-57
06-03-2022, 03:16 AM
We could always discuss whether or not Adam and Eve had navels.

Tigmafuzz
06-07-2022, 06:10 PM
Lesson 1:

Cloud has a giant sword.

Lesson 2:

Sephiroth has a really long sword.

:hat: