PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to fly in some way?

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 07:47 AM
NOTE:
I'm NOT saying I want to fly with my own arms, I'm saying that I'd like some ideas on how to simulate flying as good as possible.

I often dream that I can fly using my arms as wings, and it's a totally WONDERFUL feeling.
I wish to do this in reality some day. :D

I've got some theories on how to accomplish this:

#1: ROCKETS
You just attach some rockets or whatever onto your back, and they will keep you in the air.

#2: GREAT WINGS
This isn't very practical, because you'll need huge wings in order to have them carry you.
Anyway, it's theoretically possible to fly with them.

Oh well, discuss.

CimminyCricket
05-21-2007, 07:52 AM
Yes, I can flying using my overwhelmingly large amount of awesomeness.

Rengori
05-21-2007, 08:28 AM
I can fly by mooching off of Cim's awesomeness.

Little Blue
05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
I use great metal birds, or I would if I actually flew anyway...

blackmage_nuke
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
go hang gliding

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
go hang glidingThat's not the same.
I wanna be using my arms. :jess:

blackmage_nuke
05-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I wanna be using my hands. :jess:how is using rockets any different then?
edit: besides the rocket being able to push out enough g force to make you faint mid air and kill dozens

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 10:27 AM
edit: besides the rocket being able to push out enough g force to make you faint mid air and kill dozensHang gliding doesn't really feel like flying, more like holding a flying object.

I want to get the feeling I'm flying myself.

DK
05-21-2007, 11:02 AM
After years of heavy meditation, I have attained the power to control my Ki, or spiritual energy if you would prefer, and I can now use this to fly at great speeds by using my Ki to propel myself. :bigsmile:

Sergeant Hartman
05-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Superman never used his arms as wings :(
A cape and a dodgey costume should do the trick :monster:

Spammerman
05-21-2007, 12:13 PM
I wanna be using my hands. :jess:

Have sex in the air, or do the lonely thing, then you can use your hands.

Bunny
05-21-2007, 12:14 PM
edit: besides the rocket being able to push out enough g force to make you faint mid air and kill dozensHang gliding doesn't really feel like flying, more like holding a flying object.

I want to get the feeling I'm flying myself.

Have you been hang gliding then?

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Please spare me the sarcastic remarks already.
This is an important subject to me, and those who don't care about it could just leave, alright?

Ths is exactly why I don't trust the moderators on this forum anymore; now you have no excuses left, one of you has even JOINED the sarcasm-fest in this thread.

After years of heavy meditation, I have attained the power to control my Ki, or spiritual energy if you would prefer, and I can now use this to fly at great speeds by using my Ki to propel myself. :bigsmile:

Tralla-la, hello, Site Staff Member.

Please don't even care about responding to this, because I ain't gonna answer; just keep it in mind, okay?

Have you been hang gliding then?Yes, and it didn't feel completely right.
It was nice, though.

Bunny
05-21-2007, 12:47 PM
If that was directed at me, I would kindly ask you to look up the definition of sarcasm so you can understand exactly what my post is not. I was asking a serious question in your serious thread. Get over yourself.

Here, instead I'll crush your dreams:

The only possible way for you to fly is to get on a plane, hang glide, or float away in a hot air balloon. It is humanly impossible to fly using just your arms at this point in time so you should either give up your dreams or wait until science stumbles upon some way to get you in the air.

Was that better?

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
If that was directed at me, I would kindly ask you to look up the definition of sarcasm so you can understand exactly what my post is not. I was asking a serious question in your serious thread. Get over yourself.

The only possible way for you to fly is to get on a plane, hang glide, or float away in a hot air balloon. It is humanly impossible to fly using just your arms at this point in time so you should either give up your dreams or wait until science stumbles upon some way to get you in the air.

Was that better?I never found your post sarcastic.

Also, there seems to be some serious misunderstanding here:
I never said i wanted to actually use my arms, I just said I wanted some practical tools that made it possible to fly; like great wings and the like.

DK
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
My reply was completely serious. And if you will continue to claim I was being sarcastic, I will ask you to show me proof that I can not fly using my Ki. Go on, prove it. :bigsmile:

Vivisteiner
05-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Superman never used his arms as wings :(
A cape and a dodgey costume should do the trick :monster:
Thats a given.

sockmonkey
05-21-2007, 01:02 PM
You could use one of those skydiving suits built like a flying squirrel.
That's really a *very* steep glide but it's just you and the wind.

Or just contact this guy...
¦¦FUSIONMAN¦¦ (http://www.jet-man.com/prod/index.html)

Bunny
05-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Was that better?I never found your post sarcastic.

Also, there seems to be some serious misunderstanding here:
I never said i wanted to actually use my arms, I just said I wanted some practical tools that made it possible to fly; like great wings and the like.

Okay, okay. That's my fault. You didn't say arms. You said hands.

I wanna be using my hands. :jess:

My bad.

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh dear, don't you understand that I meant my arms?
How the hell are you supposed to fly with your HANDS?

Think further than an inch, please.
I think you're just provoking me, though.

...and there goes another should-be-nice thread into the quarrel can.
And of course I will have to take the blame for being flooded with sarcasm.
Yeah.

*attempts to discuss the topic*
*gets flooded with sarcasm and irony*
*tried to defend myself for a while, and sends Warnings*
*gets yelled at by angry Mods*

This will go on forever, but I'll be waiting for some serious discussion, and I DO hope that the Knights have deleted at least some of the sarcastic posts before the next century.
It doesn't take a week to check Warnings.

Levian
05-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Okay, Peter 20, stop taking stuff too seriously. If you just want serious answers, make a thread in EoEO. There's always going to be jokes in GC. Of course, harmful jokes are not allowed.

DK and Bunny, stop provoking Peter.

Drop the argument and continue from here. :choc:

Cloudane
05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
If you're going to ask how to fly using your arms, without a plane, hot air balloon or hang glider then you should expect to get mocked!

Concentrate your chakra in such a way that there is a greater- or equal- pressure underneath you compared to above you?

Failing that, skydiving whilst flapping your arms might be your best bet. Do remember your parachute though, I was joking about the chakra thing :)

The pressure differential is the key if you want to stay afloat, but as yet I don't think there has been a method invented that didn't involve steady solid wings or other methods like balloons and helicopters. It's been tried in the past I think around the time of the Wright Brothers but was never successful for more than a few flaps.

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 01:33 PM
If you're going to ask how to fly using your arms, without a plane, hot air balloon or hang glider then you should expect to get mocked!

Concentrate your chakra in such a way that there is a greater- or equal- pressure underneath you?

Failing that, skydiving whilst flapping your arms might be your best bet. Do remember your parachute though, I was joking about the chakra thing :)Actually, I've stressed countless times that I wanted to use something that lets me fly.
I gave you two examples on such things in the first post, ffs.

Oh well, I don't wanna make this an aggressive argument.
Anyway, I've actually often considered creating some giant, home-made wings and see if they can carry me. :)
I've got a feeling that it will be worth the trouble. :D

The only problem will be getting all those feathers...

DeStyle
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
@Levian Well this is kind of happening all over the forum not just in general.
Randomness and sarcasm/irony is fun but not if someone asks
advice of somesort. It's just really annoying if you make a topic
asking for advice and then someone comes along and makes a
cheap "joke" messing up your thread.

Ontopic, flying with your arms is as said with current technology
impossible. Materials we can create aren't light enough and our arms
are definately not strong enough (in comparison with their weight birds are really strong).

If it's the feeling of freeness (which I guess it is) you could try jumping out of a plane with a parachute. There also oughta be
some kind of mushroom or drug to experience the same effect,
if that's your thing (no I'm NOT advising you to do drugs). Speedball
is known to have a sortlike effect (speedball is coke and heroin abuse
together). It's very dangerous and messes up your life, I'm serious
don't do heroin or cocaïne especially not together.

Cloudane
05-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Stop being so picky or I'll cut your knackers off with a chainsaw.

That's what I meant - people have tried fake wings etc but the nearest thing that has worked to date is the humble hang glider. That's pretty close though isn't it, hanging from a wing with a bar on it?

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Stop being so picky or I'll cut your knackers off with a chainsaw.

That's what I meant - people have tried fake wings etc but the nearest thing that has worked to date is the humble hang glider. That's pretty close though isn't it, hanging from a wing with a bar on it?I guess so, but shouldn't it be theoretically possible to use fake wings?
If they're great enough they should be able to carry me quite well.

It takes huge wings for it to work, though; I guess I'd need them to be at least 30 feet each.

Vivisteiner
05-21-2007, 01:41 PM
Dont fucking ask me!!!

If I knew how to fly, do you really think I would be in these forums, talking to a bunch of Final Fantasy Fanatics, while listening to my one CD, and chewing a 15-week old chewing gum?

DeStyle
05-21-2007, 01:44 PM
That has been tried countless of times throughout history.
No one has succeeded.

A bird is really light. It's wings are longer than itself. It uses very
strong muscles to flap it's wings.

Humans just weigh too much for something like that to be possible.

Perhaps you can buy a glider and attach it to your back, that would
feel kind of the same as a rocket to your back wouldn't it?

fire_of_avalon
05-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Flight is impossible for human beings because our bones are too heavy, and we're not built in a way that would allow us to glide on air currents. So it's not possible to do what you're saying, physically.

Peter_20
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
Flight is impossible for human beings because our bones are too heavy, and we're not built in a way that would allow us to glide on air currents. So it's not possible to do what you're saying, physically.Alright, I guess I'll have to give up the idea about the wings, but I've actually heard of some people who once used rockets in order to levitate during an International Sports Event.

Jowy
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Jetpacks would work if you're thinking of giant rockets.

TyphoonThaReapa
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Let's see, you can get bite by a radioactive spider with wings. Works for spider man. Except the wings...:cool:

Peegee
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Dhalsim has enough yoga power to float. However for you I'd just settle for skydiving or air gliding.

Mitch
05-21-2007, 04:15 PM
get tangled up in Flying Spaghetti Monster.

sockmonkey
05-21-2007, 11:34 PM
Click the link for cryin' out loud!

¦¦FUSIONMAN¦¦ (http://www.jet-man.com/prod/index.html)

Discord
05-22-2007, 12:37 AM
That's a cool post. I think aeroports are what you're looking for.:p

On a more or less serious note, gliding with a delta-plane is more or less, "flying".

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2007, 05:10 PM
You're just gonna have to wait for natural mutations. Though that would require one hell of a change in our environment. Woo.

I suppose it could be possible to fly with great big wings strapped to your arms, but it really would take great big wings, and chances are you (as a human) would have the strength to use them effectively.

Discord
05-22-2007, 06:07 PM
You're just gonna have to wait for natural mutations. Though that would require one hell of a change in our environment. Woo.

I suppose it could be possible to fly with great big wings strapped to your arms, but it really would take great big wings, and chances are you (as a human) would have the strength to use them effectively.

Didn't you say that you were the God...? God is an evolutionist!

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2007, 06:12 PM
No no no no no. I'm the Pixie Queen of Happy Town, who is like God, but better.

Sweet Mercy.

Oh wait yeah my sig. Now that fella' actually is God.

Discord
05-22-2007, 06:34 PM
No no no no no. I'm the Pixie Queen of Happy Town, who is like God, but better.

Sweet Mercy.

Oh wait yeah my sig. Now that fella' actually is God.

She claims to be your sister! True or not?

http://www.sandramacdougall.com/img/sugar-plum-fairy.jpg

Levian
05-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Quit yer spamming, boys. This is not an election thread.

Nominus Experse
05-22-2007, 07:44 PM
LSD will make you fly - just be sure to have a "co-pilot" in case you experience some turbulence.

Some of my best moments have been while high on LSD.

To actually physically fly as you intend to, I don't believe it's possible as of right now.

Lawr
05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Oh well, I don't wanna make this an aggressive argument.
Anyway, I've actually often considered creating some giant, home-made wings and see if they can carry me.
I've got a feeling that it will be worth the trouble.

ME:Or you can use a Hang Glider.

YOU:Why didn't I think of that?

bipper
05-22-2007, 08:11 PM
There is a Mullet around here that might know a thing or two about this subject matter.

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
There is a Mullet around here that might know a thing or two about this subject matter.

Nah he just falls, with style.

bipper
05-22-2007, 08:15 PM

Nah he just falls, with style.

That would be buzz lightyear.
dignified Pauper Fails with style.

Flying mullet is the real deal though. Well, his ass is, he is just there to allow that ass transportation and a place to sit.

Flying Mullet
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM
The best part is my ass lets the rest of me tag along so we can bask in it's awesomeness. What can I say, it's fabulous!

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Y'know, I hear Jowa can fly.

Craig
05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Flight is impossible for human beings because our bones are too heavy, and we're not built in a way that would allow us to glide on air currents. So it's not possible to do what you're saying, physically.

What if we had wings that were really really cool, like with pictures on them and stuff.

Quindiana Jones
05-22-2007, 08:52 PM
What if we had wings that were really really cool, like with pictures on them and stuff.

That'd probably work due to the amount of Awesome radiating off you.

Flying Mullet
05-22-2007, 09:04 PM

That'd probably work due to the amount of Awesome radiating off you.
True. It's well documented that the awesomer you are, the easier it is to fly.

Casey
05-22-2007, 09:16 PM
You can fly, go jump out the window and watch where you land. Or jump down a flight of stairs.

stalpho slayer
05-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Was that better?

sarcastic s.o.b. you have to ruin the fun oh and use genetic mutation to make your bones hollow and get wings on your back

Big D
05-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Alright, I guess I'll have to give up the idea about the wings, but I've actually heard of some people who once used rockets in order to levitate during an International Sports Event.That's been done a few times, but it depends on having a fairly calm day with little wind.
Also, there's absolutely no way in hell an untrained amateur could re-create their results at home.

Those 'flying squirrel' body-suits are probably as close as you're likely to get in the foreseeable future, if you rule out hang-gliding and such.

Mirage
05-22-2007, 11:00 PM

Was that better?

sarcastic s.o.b. you have to ruin the fun oh and use genetic mutation to make your bones hollow and get wings on your back

And at the same time break every bone in your body when you trip.

Flying Mullet
05-22-2007, 11:02 PM

Was that better?

Then don't trip.

Jowy
05-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Y'know, I hear Jowa can fly.

Flight requires two people. I can't pull it off alone. ;o

Mirage
05-22-2007, 11:19 PM

Was that better?

Then don't trip.
Someone could have set a trap.

Flying Mullet
05-22-2007, 11:29 PM

Was that better?

Then don't trip.
Then don't trip the trap so you don't trip on the trap? :confused:

Lawr
05-22-2007, 11:34 PM

Was that better?

Then don't trip.

:|
O RLY?
:|

Big D
05-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Using genetic engineering to artificially lighten human bones, so they resemble thsoe of birds, would only result in further problems. You'd then have to lighten and weaken a lot of muslces, to avoid snapping the flimsy new bones, except for all the new muscles you'd need to make the wings work. It'd also probably be necessary to adjust the size or density of a lot of internal organs, too. Then there's the cardiovascular and metabolic work that'd be needed - flying with wings is very energy-intensive, hence why birds seem to spend inordinate amounts of time eating. On top of that, you'd have problems of bone-marrow shortage resulting from giving yourself hollow bones. I don't know enough about birds to say how they work in this regard.
Basically, though, to make a human capable of flight would require a whole lot more than just giving them the genes for wings and light bones.

Spammerman
05-23-2007, 02:59 AM
Let's see, you can get bite by a radioactive spider with wings. Works for spider man. Except the wings...:cool:
how bout a radioactive hummingbird. nobody would expect it.

sockmonkey
05-27-2007, 05:46 AM
Even the largest pterosaurs wieghed less than an adult human and they were right at the physiological limit for flight.