PDA

View Full Version : Metallica...past their expiry date?

gothic_fantasy
05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
I read in Metal Hammer magazine that appaently Metallica are supposed to be releasing a new album sometime this year or next year. I havent seen any new album lying around as of late (but everything comes late in my goddamn country). I know many people were disappointed with St Anger. So what do you guys think? Should they throw down the gauntlet or keep rocking?
I'm a huge fan so I'll definitely root for them to keep going! Unless they start really going bad which I don't think will happen just yet.

Mythra
05-22-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm hopeful for the new album but after St. Anger, I'm really not getting my hopes up for the new one. IMHO their first three albums were by far their best.

CimminyCricket
05-22-2007, 05:14 PM
I haven't heard any of their new stuff, but Saint Anger was by far the most horrible piece of their music ever to grace my ears. I refused to even buy that CD and I own almost all of their other ones.

Nominus Experse
05-22-2007, 07:40 PM
They ought to simply stop - they're ruining their name by creating epic pieces of :skull::skull::skull::skull: called Saint Anger and the like.

bipper
05-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Ecstasy of Gold makes me hopeful - though I felt Loaded and reloaded were fairly spotty. With a couple hits and then the rest was trash. St. Anger was all trash. I am hopeful yet though.

jrgen
05-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Past their expiration date? Yes, since 1989.

fire_of_avalon
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM
As long as they do what they love and someone loves what they do, they're alright. I didn't like St. Anger, but I have friends who love it. And I'll try anything they put out, just to see about it.

Pure Strife
05-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Megadeth turned it back around more or less with System a few years back, and their new one isn't too bad. Slayer got over their bad period, and Anthrax had a brief return to their old glory with Joey last year... who knows, maybe Metallica can finally get back on track too?

....on second thoughts, no. They should quit.

Mythra
05-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Megadeth turned it back around more or less with System a few years back, and their new one isn't too bad. Slayer got over their bad period, and Anthrax had a brief return to their old glory with Joey last year... who knows, maybe Metallica can finally get back on track too?

....on second thoughts, no. They should quit.

I'm really enjoying United Abominations (new Megadeth album). It really makes me want to get all their old stuff.

Devourment
05-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I think they should play metal properly. They still have the potential too. Not the garbage that was St. Anger. If they produce something like that again then I give up. To be honest I only really like their first 4 albums anyway & I don't mind the Black Album. It all got a bit sh1te after ... And Justic for All.

Peter_20
05-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I seriously hope they ditch their idiotic attitude of late.
They aren't cool nowadays, they're just pathetic.

Why can't they be more natural like they were during the early 80's?

Peegee
05-25-2007, 12:53 PM
They'll always have a bad rap. Some groups have returned, and some groups haven't ever died (like Kiss, if I'm not mistaken), but that doesn't mean Metallica will / should return.

fire_of_avalon
05-25-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't understand what you mean by return. They never left/disbanded.

escobert
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I've heard it's to be more like they're old stuff. I guess Trivium really influenced them into the album.

Peter_20
05-25-2007, 04:34 PM
The only song I actually liked on St. Anger would be "Frantic", but even that song is worse than the group's worst songs from the 80's, i.e. "Metal Militia", "Trapped Under Ice" and "Escape"...

...and those songs are good!

Slothy
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Past their expiration date? Yes, since 1989.

Agreed, though I'm not even a huge fan of their 80's stuff.

Rengori
05-28-2007, 03:19 AM
I'm really not hopeful for this album, since Metallica has only put out 1 song worth listening to since '91, and Sandman gets old quick.

Rostum
05-28-2007, 03:36 AM
I really like their old stuff, but St. Anger was extremely bad. I actually watched a documentary about them on SBS, in the lead up of when Jason left to the making of St. Anger. (at least I think it started when Jason left)

They had so many problems, that I don't know why they continued on. They should have just left it there.

Shattered Dreamer
05-29-2007, 01:29 AM
Metallica just need to pack it in. I've never seen a band take a bigger steaming $h1t on their own legacy. After the Black album they went downhill & since they are over the hill its time to call it aday

Elite Lord Sigma
05-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I've never listened to Metallica that much, really.

PyroManiak
05-29-2007, 09:29 PM
They're too old.

ADDED: I liked the start of st.anger but I didn't enjoy the rest much.

Ryth
06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
They should've stopped after ...And Justice For All, they haven't made much anything good after that. I bet this new album is going to seriously blow, not more than St. Anger though, few things suck harder than St. Anger.