PDA

View Full Version : The Office

Disco Potato
05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Anybody watch that show? What do you think of it? What's your favorite episode, moment, character, etc.?

I started watching it last year, I think. I love the first two seasons, but the third had a lot of hit and miss episodes imo. I loved its season finale though :love:

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm talking about the American version :p

Namelessfengir
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
i hate this show so much that i am seriously surprised it hasen't been cancelled yet

Cuchulainn
05-23-2007, 11:07 PM
The American version is a :skull::skull::skull::skull: version of a very decent British comedy.

Miriel
05-23-2007, 11:19 PM
The American version is a :skull::skull::skull::skull: version of a very decent British comedy.

Oh heck no.

I've watched both seasons of The Office UK version, and all 3 seasons of The Office US version.

The US version kicks the UK version SO badly.

I <3 The Office. It's one of my absolute favorite shows on TV right now. Probably one of my favorite comedy shows, ever. I think the 2nd season with almost perfect. This 3rd season was pretty good too. The Finale made me "awwwwwww" like crazy. :D

I have the Office theme song as my ring tone. :p

escobert
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Scrubs > all

kikimm
05-23-2007, 11:52 PM
I love both the British and American versions of it, but yeah, the American is way way way better. So much more fleshed out. More to love. =D I don't think any of the brit characters are better than their american counterparts.

Anyways, it's the only show I bother to watch, and I'm going to be dying until September. The season finale was the best thing in the entire world. I'm still so happy about it. The whole thing was one big FUCK YES moment.

Also, John Krasinski :heart:

Rase
05-23-2007, 11:58 PM
I've only seen two episodes of the UK version, but I've watched all three seasons of the US one and believe it to be much better. I really like the show, it's probably one of the few I actually make time to watch (the others being The Colbert Report and Heroes).

My Physics teacher reminds me so much of Micheal. XD

Mitch
05-24-2007, 02:56 AM
I prefer the UK version, personally, but I did lol when I saw the first two American episodes. I hold no prejudice, but I have my favorite :D .

bipper
05-24-2007, 03:51 AM
I LOVE the british version. The real Gem of my eye is the British "THE IT CROWD"! That is a damned hilarious show, on par with the Office. They are remaking it for American TV as well :rolleyes2 The kept Moss's actor, but are getting a replacement for Roy. Either way, I hope season two is just as good as the origional.

But the office.. yeah... it was adequate.

Del Murder
05-24-2007, 04:54 AM
The Office (American) is the funniest show on TV now. I've never seen the British version, but I don't really care for British humor. If that's your thing then obviously you will like that one better.

Meat Puppet
05-24-2007, 09:04 AM
The Office is a show that I find pleasurable. At times it is hard for me to tell which version (British or Usonian) I enjoy more, because I’ve only seen three episodes of the American version, but at the same time I hate British people. I guess Ricky Gervais does, for me, help tip the scales more toward British version.

Dreddz
05-24-2007, 11:41 AM
The UK Office is far superior to the US version. The US Office is still decent though. It baffles me to find people who prefer the US version, I just dont get it. They probably just dont get the UK version. Me personally, The Office was one of my favorite TV shows at the time, but the fact that there are only two seasons makes me a sad panda. But its good they didnt go on and on, plus Extras was fantastic so its good they stopped to do other projects.

The real Gem of my eye is the British "THE IT CROWD"! That is a damned hilarious show, on par with the Office. They are remaking it for American TV as well :rolleyes2

The IT Crowd was mediocre at best, I fail to see how it drew such a large audience. And Im again baffled by the fact that there making a US version, man that'll be awful.

Croyles
05-24-2007, 08:36 PM
UK version beats US, though its still good.
I dont see how anyone can say that they'd probably like the american version more because they dont like british humour, seeing as how the show is copied. Sure its got its differences, but you can still see the british influence.
All americans will say the american one is better, and the english and some others say british. So, whats the ratio of americans to other countrymen in this forum? :)

The Office is a show that I find pleasurable. At times it is hard for me to tell which version (British or Usonian) I enjoy more, because I’ve only seen three episodes of the American version, but at the same time I hate British people. I guess Ricky Gervais does, for me, help tip the scales more toward British version.

Its ok Meat Puppet, I hate you too ;)

bipper
05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
The IT Crowd was mediocre at best, I fail to see how it drew such a large audience. And Im again baffled by the fact that there making a US version, man that'll be awful.

this would carry more weight with me if you were not a fan of nip/tuck :D But yeah, it is one of those hit or miss shows. Being in IT, and much like Roy, I tend to get a good laugh at the show. As do most other ITians. It is a very IT show. A lot of Logical satire in the show, which just makes it that much better - if you like that thing. Satire is very hit or miss. I just find it hard to get that someone who loved the office so much would hate the IT crowd. They share multiple kinship in production, you know.

daggertrepe
05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Go JAM! (Jim/Pam)

Tavrobel
05-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Jim tried to convince me that I had committed murder.

I Took the Red Pill
05-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I've only seen one episode of the UK version and I loved it, and I've seen every episode of the US version. Judging from the episode of the UK version I saw, I'd say the US version barely edges it out.

Jess
05-24-2007, 10:42 PM
The British version of The Office is awesome, and so is Extra's.

Ricky Gervais (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtBqAuKjnU):heart:. I'm going to see him doing his stand up in October. :jess:

bipper
05-25-2007, 12:48 AM
I am told I look like Ricky Gervais and share is awkward humor :(
I think that is what she said, I rarely listen

Enjolras
05-25-2007, 02:47 AM
American TV humour can be extremely funny, but I think UK humour tends to be more subtle and clever.

Burtsplurt
05-25-2007, 06:49 AM
I've tried watching some of the US version and it's not bad by any means. I don't get how people can say it's better than the original - for me, it doesn't come close. The American version has a lot more obvious humour - it's still filmed like a fly-on-the-wall documentary, but the characters seem to be acting as if they're in a sitcom. I think one of the great things about the UK version is how real it is, how subtle the humour can be. Er, and it's funnier.

The real difference is Ricky Gervais. I like Steve Carrel as a comic actor, but he doesn't seem to have the depth that Gervais has.

I agree with Dreddz about The IT Crowd - I watched a few episodes and then stopped. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace on the other hand...

Faris
05-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I love this show. The American version more than the UK merely because I started to watch the American one first and I've seen more of it.

STAPLER IN THE JELLO! <3

kikimm
05-26-2007, 01:05 AM
The American version has a lot more obvious humour - it's still filmed like a fly-on-the-wall documentary, but the characters seem to be acting as if they're in a sitcom. I think one of the great things about the UK version is how real it is, how subtle the humour can be.

Haha, that's exactly what I said the other day to someone, although I said the British people were acting like they were in a sitcom. :p

Disco Potato
05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Anyways, it's the only show I bother to watch, and I'm going to be dying until September. The season finale was the best thing in the entire world. I'm still so happy about it. The whole thing was one big smurf YES moment.

Also, John Krasinski :heart:

I completely agree with this. I had a dream this morning about the show - at one point Jim reminisced about shooting himself in the eye with a staple gun :Oo:

My Physics teacher reminds me so much of Micheal. XD

Haha :lol:. One of my teachers' names is very similar to Dwight's, but that's it.

I've tried watching some of the US version and it's not bad by any means. I don't get how people can say it's better than the original - for me, it doesn't come close. The American version has a lot more obvious humour - it's still filmed like a fly-on-the-wall documentary, but the characters seem to be acting as if they're in a sitcom. I think one of the great things about the UK version is how real it is, how subtle the humour can be. Er, and it's funnier.

I thought the humor got a lot more in-your-face only really in the third season, which was part of why I didn't like it as much, though I still liked it of course :jess:

Me personally, The Office was one of my favorite TV shows at the time, but the fact that there are only two seasons makes me a sad panda.

Was there any explanation for why the series was so short? It seems like it was really popular.

Go JAM! (Jim/Pam)

:thumb:

Jim tried to convince me that I had committed murder.

I love all of Jim's pranks :love:

The British version of The Office is awesome, and so is Extra's.

Ricky Gervais (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dtBqAuKjnU):heart:. I'm going to see him doing his stand up in October. :jess:

That was funny :lol:. I haven't watched the British one (hopefully I can when school lets up :mad:), but the clips I've seen on YouTube have been pretty funny.