PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Caribbean

Rostum
05-25-2007, 02:09 AM
So, have you guys seen it yet? What did you think?

I saw it last night with my girlfriend, I thought it was pretty good! I think they might have overdone it with the try-too-hard-comedy bits though, and it almost started to drag out, but I loved the ending scenes.

Overall, I probably prefer 1 & 2, but this one was fairly awesome.

Namelessfengir
05-25-2007, 03:16 AM
what you saw it yesterday? how? it doesn't open for another 2 hours!!!!!

Rase
05-25-2007, 03:30 AM
I have several friends who work at theaters and saw the movie on Tuesday night. All of them have said that it was definitely a good movie and well worth seeing, so that's what I'll be doing next Wednesday.

White Raven
05-25-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm gonna see it Friday night with my girlfriend. From the sounds of it, it drags on quite a lot at 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I look forward to seeing it because of Keith Richards appearance. :p

Rostum
05-25-2007, 05:07 AM
what you saw it yesterday? how? it doesn't open for another 2 hours!!!!!

I live in Australia, we're a day ahead. It came out on the 24th, and the 24th was yesterday for us.

I'm gonna see it Friday night with my girlfriend. From the sounds of it, it drags on quite a lot at 2 hours and 45 minutes, but I look forward to seeing it because of Keith Richards appearance. :p

Yeah, seeing Keith Richards was fairly cool. I liked Geoffrey Rush in this one a lot more than him in the first one.

Masamunemaster
05-25-2007, 06:43 AM
I plan to see it with a few friends, hopefully I will have more than two people with me

Chibi Youkai
05-25-2007, 06:48 AM
I loved that movie. Just got back from it, actually. It was a little slow at first, but it turned out to be really great. And there were some rather strange points in it. Should make up for all the "flaws" of the second movie, though..

Rostum
05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
And there were some rather strange points in it.

Yeah I agree, Jack Sparrow's insanity was absolutely awesome.

There were few things I didn't really get though, but I'll let this thread develop a bit more before I bring them up.

ljkkjlcm9
05-25-2007, 08:19 AM
I didn't like the scene after the credits. They could have easily made a 4th movie, and technically they still could. But yeah, that scene definitely ruined the possibility of a 4th movie, which honestly I wanted to see due to the outcome of this one.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

THE JACKEL

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-25-2007, 10:31 AM
LoL this movie was all kinds of awesome-ness lol the comedy really meshed in with the seriousness though i thought it was better than two though!

who wouldve though that Tia Dalma was Davvy Jones' lover AND Callipso lol

Kiera Knightly as the pirate king...hillarious and ironic...though i did cringe abit with her "lets fight" speech

and what the hell did the other pirates do at the end.....it was like what was the point of bringing them all together when it was only like two ships that done the buisness lol

oh and Keith Richards....funny as he played his part well with the screen time he had...he was awesome lol!

i hope they make a 4 but they need a break! But i hope its mostly just about pirates and kinda leave the india trading company out of it lol!

and what was the scene after the credits?

Sergeant Hartman
05-25-2007, 11:35 AM
I'll probably be seeing it sometime next week.

Bunny
05-25-2007, 12:06 PM
My girlfriend called me a three in the morning to tell me it sucked.

YTDN
05-25-2007, 04:32 PM
I watched it last night. I thought it was OK, but there was a bit too many subplots. Made it hard to follow.

McLovin'
05-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Did this movie have the traditional PoTC theme song?

Tallulah
05-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I read a stinking review of it in the Daily Mail this afternoon whose points system denounced it as a turkey. This makes me want to see it even more. :D

I wanted to get the first two out at the video store to review the whole story, but there were no copies left. :( I guess everybody else had the same idea.

demondude
05-25-2007, 06:32 PM
I liked it:)

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Did this movie have the traditional PoTC theme song?

yeah its scattered throughout

voodoo_truelove
05-25-2007, 07:18 PM
i thought it was great!!! got confusing in places with all the crossing stories lol but maybe thats just because i have a simple mind. saw it last night with my friend and its reall worth seeing:)

daggertrepe
05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Ima go see it tonite! :)

Del Murder
05-26-2007, 02:56 AM
I thought it was good, the ending was ok, and there was some weird parts that dragged on (Jack with the crabs, wtf?). Overall very enjoyable.

Monol
05-26-2007, 03:45 AM
I happen to love the POTC series so i COULDNT not like the movie...Barbossa is my favorite pirates character and i thought he had the finest performance out of anyone. The movie does has its flaws but i thought for a third isntallment film they did INCREDIBLE. Loved davy jones and tia dalma in this one *growls just thinking about that lustrious barbatos..ian..chick..girl..babe....*:D

Cool quotes, great music, good action....Another awsome job by Disney :cool:

Chibi Youkai
05-26-2007, 03:46 AM
I imagine that the fangirls and mary-sue writers are going to be in paradise with this one.

daggertrepe
05-26-2007, 03:46 AM
It was boring until the end.

Xaven
05-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I thought a lot of it was funny, but those moments weren't supposed to be as funny as I saw them to be. And I absolutely hate the ending. So lame.

And all the foreign pirates = <3. They didn't do anything in the last battle, so I had assumed they all died, but there they were cheering at the very end. :P And all I could think about when seeing the Singapore pirates was "Filipinos!". :P

Ouch!
05-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Geoffrey Rush was definitely the highlight of the entire movie. Keith Richards was a close second. Other than that, it wasn't really anything special. I felt that Jonny Depp wasn't nearly as awesome as he was in the first two movies, but I can't quite place my finger on the reason why.

Still a good movie over all. The ending was a bummer, though.

I Took the Red Pill
05-26-2007, 06:20 AM
The only thing that kept me from going insane due to dragging on was Keith Richards. The ending was alright I guess.

Miriel
05-26-2007, 07:08 AM
It was a looong movie.

I liked it. A lot better than the second one. Less than the first one. But still, a good finish to the Trilogy.

I thought that there were way too many crosses, double crosses, backstabbing, etc, going on in the movie. I mean, yeah, I know they're pirates and that's what they do. But they did it one (or two... three, five) times too many. It got to the point where I was just like, screw it, I don't even care who's side anyone is on anymore.

The ending made me very very sad. And I DON'T think it was a good ending for Will and Elizabeth. It was just so sad. Like, do you guys realize how bitterly tragic it must be to be separated from someone you love for 10 years at a time? I dunno, it seemed such a devastating end (to me) but the movie treated it as if it wasn't really a big deal. That bothered me a bit.

ljkkjlcm9
05-26-2007, 08:38 AM
It was a looong movie.

I liked it. A lot better than the second one. Less than the first one. But still, a good finish to the Trilogy.

I thought that there were way too many crosses, double crosses, backstabbing, etc, going on in the movie. I mean, yeah, I know they're pirates and that's what they do. But they did it one (or two... three, five) times too many. It got to the point where I was just like, screw it, I don't even care who's side anyone is on anymore.

The ending made me very very sad. And I DON'T think it was a good ending for Will and Elizabeth. It was just so sad. Like, do you guys realize how bitterly tragic it must be to be separated from someone you love for 10 years at a time? I dunno, it seemed such a devastating end (to me) but the movie treated it as if it wasn't really a big deal. That bothered me a bit.
my friend and I were thinking about this. That means, assuming they were in their 20s, they see each other for maybe a week of their remaining lives. Pretty much hell. Now, if she finds the fountain of youth and lives forever just like him...
I also don't get why she couldn't just work on his crew. I mean his dad is on the crew freely.

THE JACKEL

o_O
05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
I felt that Jonny Depp wasn't nearly as awesome as he was in the first two movies, but I can't quite place my finger on the reason why.

I thought the same, mainly because he's not as much of an enigma anymore. They took that away by making him insane and then placing him in a situation from which he needed to be rescued.

I thought a lot of the movie was very forced. The concept of Pirate Lords and the Pirate King didn't really sit that nicely in the story. The fight scene where Will and Elizabeth got married, right in the middle of everything, well, come on Disney, wtf?

I liked the movie though. The special effects were totally kickin' rad, and the ending was a feelgood ending, but the story seems to be five or so different ideas fighting for the role of being the main plot. The first was better than the second by a long shot, which was again heaps better than the third.

demondude
05-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Is it me or did callipo remind you of the ice lollys callipsos:)

Callisto
05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
WAY too much Johnny Depp in Worlds End. Everything I loved about the character in the first movie became an irritation in the third. The beginning bored me to near death, but I agree, it picked up in the middle. Did anyone else just want to vomit with Keira Knightley's performance? The highlight of the movie was the ending battle scene and Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa.

Burtsplurt
05-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Ye gods, why are people still going to see PoTC?! Has everyone else in the English-speaking world been brainwashed by Disney executives? Do people now prefer to watch this complete codswallop to quality film-making like, say, Zodiac?

The first film was okay, I'll admit that. The plot was pretty standard and Geoffrey Rush was good. The story obviously wasn't written for that somewhat bizarre performance by Johnny Depp, which did make it kind of fun. That said, Orlando Bloom might as well be a wet fish made from wood, although the acting ability of said fish would far exceed his own "talent". Keira Knightley always looks like she ought to be mounted on a horse and discussing wines of the 15th century with other damsels.

But at least the plot was coherent.

The second film was longer and ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. Did no-one else recognise this? It wasn't exactly a subtle point. It might have been highlighted by the numb feeling in your bum (if you were enjoying it) or the entirety of your body (if, like me, you would have rather watched Hulk Hogan's entire back catalogue of films with a spike up your bottom). Johnny Depp was doing the same thing, which was old by the second film. Bloom and Knightley had more screen time - good for lovers of furniture, but bad for everyone else. And it didn't make any sense. A bunch of people looking for a bunch of things that may or may not help them does not constitute a plot. It constitutes a big mess. And it wasn't funny... at all.

I'm not going to see PoTC 3, so I may be wrong. It might be the greatest film ever and resolve the 700 pointless subplots in the second film, but as I have invested absolutely no emotional attachment to any of the characters whatsoever*, I wouldn't care.

* With the possible exception of Orlando Bloom's character. I'd probably go and see all 168 minutes in order to observe, with glee, an excruciating death for a man who is considerably outclassed in the acting stakes by a dead monkey.

scrumpleberry
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
I saw its, and I thought it was much better than the second one and at least as good as the first BUT WILL AND ELIZABETH GOT MARRIED IN THE MIDDLE OF A PIRATE BATTLE!
How stupid is that? Elizabeth just annoyed me more and more: she was like a permanently huffy little girl all of the time, all she did was snog people and be righteous. Ug, hate both the character and Keira Knightley. Totally agree with Callisto. I actually liked the plot twist with Tia Dalma, thought it was good. Me and my friend were silently celebrating when Will died, and it was such a shame when he came back again. Sigh. Oh and I liked the Johnny Depp scene with all the minicrabs.

The fact that they didn't get Chow Yun Fat to do much kick ass kung fu fighting made me sad.

Anyhoo, generally it was good.

TidusMaster
05-26-2007, 05:34 PM
i saw it last nigth with my girlfriend..but..we made out like, 3 times...we missed some of it..and yea, kinda ruined the movie, but, at least i got to make out, right? lol

Ouch!
05-26-2007, 07:11 PM
* With the possible exception of Orlando Bloom's character. I'd probably go and see all 168 minutes in order to observe, with glee, an excruciating death for a man who is considerably outclassed in the acting stakes by a dead monkey.
You won't be disappointed. Even when he is (in some capacity) revived in the end, you can enjoy that he will only be able to be with the woman he loves for one day every ten years. I'd imagine that's even more satisfying that merely a painful death.

Croyles
05-27-2007, 09:20 PM
This movie was boring as hell to me. The second one was much better. Seriously, I was going into this movie expecting funny action scenes, what I get is waaaaaaaaay too much dialogue. There were some funny parts obviously, but most of it seemed to be 'try-too-hard comedy bits', as the OP called it. And then some really lengthy and cringe worthy moments that out-smells the cheese from the other movies.
I just really did not like this movie.

Ishin Ookami
05-28-2007, 01:37 PM
The fact that they didn't get Chow Yun Fat to do much kick ass kung fu fighting made me sad.

That would be because Chow Yun Fat doesn't know kung fu. The only martial arts fighting he does is at the guidance of a skilled fighting choreographer and many many retakes when he buggers the sequence up.

He's a unbelieveably good actor, he has a great deal of charisma, and he's in shape and can do a great deal of stunts, but kung fu just aint his gig.

as for the film itself, thumbs up from me. Jack sparrow was great as ever. I liked how he seemed to be back to the conniving and scheming Captain Jack Sparrow that was five steps ahead of everyone else despite coming accross as a clown. In the second he seemed a little too much of a clown and not quite as in control as before. Despite that I liked how Jack is sorta insane, those bits were hilarious and brilliant. Him and Barbosa clashing over control of the Pearl were also great. I would have liked to see the other pirate lords do something useful, and all the double crossing did get tiresome, but It was still a great flick.

as for a fourth, I say hang it up. Go for a TV series centered around how Jack Sparrow first ticked off the east india trading company and came to have that brand on his forearm.

Doomie
05-28-2007, 10:22 PM
I thought it ended really well. Making a fourth one would be reeeeally stupid. I liked it the most out of all three, mostly because Geoffrey Rush was absolutely spectacular.

Azure Chrysanthemum
05-28-2007, 10:49 PM
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, although I do agree that the World's End part did drag a bit and was more than a little odd.

Honestly, I loved the scene where they got married in the middle of a fight while riding a Maelstrom. That was completely, unapologetically over-the-top and I loved it for that. The sheer ludicrous nature of it made it impossible for me not to be entertained.

It was good, I'd say. Toss up between that one and the first one. Generally well-written and thoroughly enjoyable.

scrumpleberry
05-28-2007, 10:58 PM

That would be because Chow Yun Fat doesn't know kung fu. The only martial arts fighting he does is at the guidance of a skilled fighting choreographer and many many retakes when he buggers the sequence up.

He's a unbelieveably good actor, he has a great deal of charisma, and he's in shape and can do a great deal of stunts, but kung fu just aint his gig.

It wasn't really a serious statement, but oh well.

Dragonface
05-29-2007, 12:06 AM
I wasn't into POTC until I play Kingdom Hearts II, then I just rent the second movie (DVD).

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
I completely, 100% totally agree with you. I felt especially bad for Elizabeth. Her father dies, and she sees him on his way to the afterlife. Then Commodore Norrington sacrifices himself so she can escape the Flying Dutchman and she has to watch that. Then she watches Davy Jones stab her husband in the heart, and along with Jack Sparrow, makes helps Will stab the heart of Davy Jones, thus charging him with ferrying the souls of the dead at sea to the afterlife, and is thusly separated from him for the vast majority of her life.

I felt that the movie was crazy unfair to both Elizabeth and Will. They had sacrificed the most, and had remained steadfast throughout the entire series, and this is how they're repaid? Ugh. Screw you, Calypso.

my friend and I were thinking about this. That means, assuming they were in their 20s, they see each other for maybe a week of their remaining lives. Pretty much hell. Now, if she finds the fountain of youth and lives forever just like him...
I also don't get why she couldn't just work on his crew. I mean his dad is on the crew freely.

THE JACKAL
No, you have to die to work on the Dutchman. You're never free to work on it or leave. 100 years service is required of you.

I felt that Jonny Depp wasn't nearly as awesome as he was in the first two movies, but I can't quite place my finger on the reason why.

I thought the same, mainly because he's not as much of an enigma anymore. They took that away by making him insane and then placing him in a situation from which he needed to be rescued.

I thought a lot of the movie was very forced. The concept of Pirate Lords and the Pirate King didn't really sit that nicely in the story. The fight scene where Will and Elizabeth got married, right in the middle of everything, well, come on Disney, wtf?

I liked the movie though. The special effects were totally kickin' rad, and the ending was a feelgood ending, but the story seems to be five or so different ideas fighting for the role of being the main plot. The first was better than the second by a long shot, which was again heaps better than the third.
Yeah, I thought the getting married in the middle of battle was dumb. I think that was fan-pandering, personally.

I was sooo happy that Chow Yun Fat was in the film. He's one of my favorite actors ever. I wish they had featured him a bit more.

Overall I liked the movie. The pacing has greatly improved since the first one came out in 2003. It didn't seem like it was nearly three hours. I also liked the fact that they left the characters alone. They were developed enough by the second film, it was time to just let them behave like normal.

I think Will Turner got shafted so hard, even though he's one of the more interesting characters. I think the film still pandered way, way to much to Jack Sparrow. Don't get me wrong, I love Jack Sparrow, but he's not really an interesting person, is he? What'd he do in all these movies? He eventually decided to be a nice guy by choosing to let Will live as opposed to taking immortality for himself. That was unselfish. One unselfish act when faced with a man's death doesn't mean the character has grown. He was the same Jack Sparrow as ever. His motivations are himself and the sea.

I was really impressed that the story did take such a close look at Davy Jones and Tia Dalma/Calypso. Davy Jones quickly became one of my favorite characters in the second movie, so I was happy to know more about him. I was also glad I was right about Tia Dalma. I had her pegged from the get go. xD

And as always, Captain Barbossa = Best Pirate Ever. Geoffry Rush stole the freaking show in this one.

So, aside from Will & Elizabeth getting the shaft, a little too much of Jack Sparrow not doing anything, a little too much of Commodore Norrington getting nixed for no reason, I had a pleasant experience. Hurray Pirates! Way better than ninjas.

ljkkjlcm9
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM

THE JACKAL
No, you have to die to work on the Dutchman. You're never free to work on it or leave. 100 years service is required of you.

Except as soon as Will took over the Dutchman, he told his dad that he was free, and his dad said he was staying as debt to his son for saving him.

But from what you're saying about dieing to work on it, she'll live her life, see him 7 times in her life, than if their smart, she'll work on the Dutchman after she dies and see him for 100 years...

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
05-29-2007, 05:56 PM
I like how she did not show any signs of aging whatsoever in the "secret" ending after the credits (of which it seems none of you have shown any indication of seeing). She probably gets to live forever, too. Contracts are also renegociable by playing a little bit of Liar's Dice. Will and Elizabeth are as good as dead, since he came back in year ten, and she was there with her son, as well. The only thing that could coherently continue is Barbossa/Sparrow and the Fountain of Youth.

Anyways, I enjoyed it, and it made up for the second movie. Lots of twists and turns (at least for a Disney movie), and Johnny Depp is awesome. He could have a movie where he's going insane and it's just him in front of a camera for three hours. It would rake in 100 million opening day. He's just that awesome. Keith Richards was probably 10 million dollars per word.

Now if only the pirates and the fleet had actually fought at the fortress. And an unjustified death for Admiral Norrington, and Tia Dalma got seriously owned by Barbossa. What a shame; not that I'm anti-Barbossa, I'm just pro-Dalma.

scrumpleberry
05-29-2007, 06:18 PM
"Secret" ending? You what?

Tell usssssssss.

ljkkjlcm9
05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I like how she did not show any signs of aging whatsoever in the "secret" ending after the credits (of which it seems none of you have shown any indication of seeing). She probably gets to live forever, too. Contracts are also renegociable by playing a little bit of Liar's Dice. Will and Elizabeth are as good as dead, since he came back in year ten, and she was there with her son, as well. The only thing that could coherently continue is Barbossa/Sparrow and the Fountain of Youth.

I saw the ending, in fact I said I didn't like it. And hence my entire argument about how she should think of a clever way to spend more time with him. The entire thing was about them manipulating things, and now when it really matters neither her or Will can think of anything? Seems kinda dumb

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
05-29-2007, 07:27 PM
"Secret" ending? You what? Tell usssssssss.

If you stayed after the credits, just like the first two movies, you were treated to a special scene that slightly set up the next movie. Note that these are also viewable on the DVDs; do not press "next scene." Instead, you will have to manually fast forward for these, and if you overshoot, you'll miss and have to restart the movie.

The first one, after the credits, Jack the Monkey goes back and picks up a coin from the chest. This is why Jack the Money is undead in the second movie, and also a possible reason why Isla de la Muerta sank.

The second one, the dog becomes the god of the native people, and is prepared to be eaten. In the second movie, this is possible, because as Jack escapes, the people begin chasing the dog.

The third one, we are treated to an unaged Elizabeth Turner (formerly Miss Swann), and an approximately nine year old son waiting on the coast of the island. There is a one minute delay as they wait for Will to come back, and then, you think he's not coming back (Tia Dalma failed to be there for Davy Jones).

However, the screen flashes green, indicating that one has crossed over from the Locker. The last thing you see is a pan-shot of the Dutchman, the wife, and the son. Essentially, this wraps up the Turner family story, as everyone has returned as promised. We can assume that Will gets to stay until sunset, as he arrived at sunrise.

I saw the ending, in fact I said I didn't like it. And hence my entire argument about how she should think of a clever way to spend more time with him. The entire thing was about them manipulating things, and now when it really matters neither her or Will can think of anything? Seems kinda dumb

As you said before, she could easily be a part of the Crew, if she so desired. At the end, Will also says that it's not about waiting the ten years, so much as it making the most of the one day. This seems to imply that he does not want her to oblige herself to him, only to keep his heart safe.

Metaphorically, people live on through their offspring, and if this indeed true, then she's already spending time with him raising his son in solitude. However, I wonder how he got all those upper-class clothes.

I prefer this ending, to be honest. He does have an air of destiny about him. Now if only this did not interfere with my extreme distaste of determinism, I would embrace it more wholeheartedly.

scrumpleberry
05-29-2007, 07:45 PM
"Secret" ending? You what? Tell usssssssss.

If you stayed after the credits, just like the first two movies, you were treated to a special scene that slightly set up the next movie. Note that these are also viewable on the DVDs; do not press "next scene." Instead, you will have to manually fast forward for these, and if you overshoot, you'll miss and have to restart the movie.

Oh right, thank you. I did wonder about the monkey...

look_out_below
05-29-2007, 08:10 PM
I was disappointed with PoC 3. It just did not have the charm and humour that I have come to expect after watching the other two movies. The movie just seemed to be one action scene after another, with a not great explanation of what was going on. The movie was all right but not great. The only parts that I really enjoyed in the movie was Jacks' insanity. I would give this movie a rating of 6/10.

Zante
05-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Anyone know where I could see the secret ending only? I missed it and don't feel like downloading the whole movie for that one part.

Also, I read that in a deleted scene, it says that Will is free from his duty to the Dutchman when he returns after those 10 years, because Elizabeth was faithful to him all the time. Davy Jones would have been free too if Calypso had waited for him but she didn't.

fire_of_avalon
05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I actually read that in the FAQs on IMDB, but I'm not sure that could be taken as canonical. Maybe DVD commentary in a few months will clear it up for good. I would prefer to think that he got to come back, but I seriously doubt it.

And Elizabeth can't just die and go work on the Dutchman. You have to 1) be a pirate/sailor, 2) die at sea, and 3) contract with Davy Jones/Captain of the Flying Dutchman to work for him for a hundred years at the outset before you die. So it isn't as simple as "Oh, I'm dead, let's go work with hubbie!"

ljkkjlcm9
05-29-2007, 09:22 PM
I actually read that in the FAQs on IMDB, but I'm not sure that could be taken as canonical. Maybe DVD commentary in a few months will clear it up for good. I would prefer to think that he got to come back, but I seriously doubt it.

And Elizabeth can't just die and go work on the Dutchman. You have to 1) be a pirate/sailor, 2) die at sea, and 3) contract with Davy Jones/Captain of the Flying Dutchman to work for him for a hundred years at the outset before you die. So it isn't as simple as "Oh, I'm dead, let's go work with hubbie!"
Ah well, firstly, She's the Pirate King, so #1 is all set. #2 can be done quite easily, and #3 can be done quite easily as well.

THE JACKEL

Tavrobel
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
1) Pirate King, fulfilled, as the Jackal said

2) She's on a friggin' island, of course it would be easy for her to die at sea

3) I get the feeling that dear William can also make deals, as well. His father worked for him, so the contract could possibly be the same, except with a different purpose.

Assuming she ages and is able to die naturally.

Anyone know where I could see the secret ending only? I missed it and don't feel like downloading the whole movie for that one part.

Try YouTube. The first DVD has been out for several years, and I would expect the same of the second.

I am not sure of how long these will be up, but here they are: also, beware the terrible quality.

I can't find the first, but the DVD has been out for a very long time.
II: YouTube - Pirates Of The Caribbean Dead Man's Chest After Credits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3gzY92XoI)
III: YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End end scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3Xdd5w0xo)

Elite Lord Sigma
05-29-2007, 09:37 PM
I've heard from many reviews that, in my own words, "After a while, you just admit you have no idea what the hell is going on." Even though I haven't seen it yet, I will eventually.

Renmiri
05-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Honestly, I loved the scene where they got married in the middle of a fight while riding a Maelstrom. That was completely, unapologetically over-the-top and I loved it for that. The sheer ludicrous nature of it made it impossible for me not to be entertained.
I just loved it. So over the top!!! :D

III: YouTube - Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End end scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP3Xdd5w0xo)

You are an angel!!! I missed this, thanks! :love:

fire_of_avalon
05-30-2007, 12:01 AM
1) Pirate King, fulfilled, as the Jackal said

2) She's on a friggin' island, of course it would be easy for her to die at sea

3) I get the feeling that dear William can also make deals, as well. His father worked for him, so the contract could possibly be the same, except with a different purpose.

Assuming she ages and is able to die naturally.

1) Just because you are a pirate, doesn't mean you're a pirate forever. She gave up her piece of eight, and the Brethern was broken, so she's no longer Pirate King. She looks like she's just hanging out with her kid now, which makes her not a pirate/sea-farer. That isn't explicit by the end scene, no, but it pretty much seems that her life as a pirate is done with.

2) She has to die AT SEA. In a boat, on the ocean. They were very explicit about this, just as they were about the need to be a man/person of the sea. Again, she has a kid, she probably doesn't travel so much anymore.

3) You could be right about that. Now that I think about it, the whole hundred years' contract thing could've just been a way to showcase Davy Jones' cruelty after he cut out his heart. We don't know if that's imposed by the individual captain or by the duty.

demondude
05-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I wanted the monkey to die:cry:

Tavrobel
05-30-2007, 03:57 PM
1) Just because you are a pirate, doesn't mean you're a pirate forever. She gave up her piece of eight, and the Brethern was broken, so she's no longer Pirate King. She looks like she's just hanging out with her kid now, which makes her not a pirate/sea-farer. That isn't explicit by the end scene, no, but it pretty much seems that her life as a pirate is done with.

2) She has to die AT SEA. In a boat, on the ocean. They were very explicit about this, just as they were about the need to be a man/person of the sea. Again, she has a kid, she probably doesn't travel so much anymore.

3) You could be right about that. Now that I think about it, the whole hundred years' contract thing could've just been a way to showcase Davy Jones' cruelty after he cut out his heart. We don't know if that's imposed by the individual captain or by the duty.

1) However, she was at one point a pirate. Davy Jones attacked the British Merchant ship with her dress on it in the second movie. The crew readied the British for Davy Jones until he got there, when he promptly said "no survivors." The people on the ship also performed some pirate duties.

You could chalk it up that he was looking for Turner because of the key, but my interpretation was that the crew would capture any seafaring people.

2) I think you missed my point that on an island, the distance toward deep water is not at all very far. It's not quite like she is on the coast of a continent; just a no name island that does not seem very big.

I'm not disputing that she has to die at sea. I am simply making a point that it would easy for her to do so.

3) True, but he could easily accept contracts. I have a feeling that the contract that Will makes is wholesomely benevolent. It could be like a stepping stone toward death for those who don't feel that they are ready for it, and that time served is just to de-sensitize people.

Plus, I think he would need a crew to rock the ship enough to get it from world to world, unless the Kraken is a reincarnating monster whose purpose was also corrupted, but I highly doubt it.

rubah
05-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I think dying at sea means more 'lol you're a sailor and get tossed overboard in an accident' than 'lol you swam out too far in a semi-suicide attempt to see your lover' but IANAS so I dunno for sure.

I liked the movie. I'd have to watch dead man's chest again, but I think I like it better than that one. But it's not as good as the first. There were way too many instances of 'hay, let's bring back funny things that were fresh and new as a tribute to the first two!' and then they aren't fresh anymore, because you're like 'dude, you pulled that one already'

I thought the crabs were great. Did you notice callypso was crabs too?

um, will and elizabeth get a rotten deal, it reminded me too much of the ending to His Dark Materials

It drug on pretty long though. Stu and one of his friends were like 'hah, I bet this will go on for another twenty minutes!' and then later 'man I was just kidding about the twenty minutes but dude :O' I came out of the movie with no fingernails left.

I thought it was a little girl :(

musicsoccer
05-30-2007, 04:58 PM
imho i liked the movie. It did drag on for a while but i payed attention and i noticed that some things tie in later in the movie. And that ending was evil. Another "pirates 4 iffy" ending. But overall i liked it and i was shocked at all the spoilers.

scrumpleberry
05-30-2007, 05:50 PM
um, will and elizabeth get a rotten deal, it reminded me too much of the ending to His Dark Materials

Yeah, but because it's Disney, Will and Elizabeth get togethaaaa again.

Really excited about the film for that as well! The main girl looks like a snot nosed brat though.

VorpalCyberWolf
05-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Saw it last night and I enjoyed it immensely. I felt the end was good albeit a bit predictable. But they did pull it off well, and kept it entertaining the whole time.

I don't think Will and Elizabeth had that bad of a deal at the end, the only character I honestly felt bad for was James.

I have noticed, some people have trouble sitting through 3 hour movies just because of the fact it's a 3 hour movie.

Tavrobel
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
At least PotC didn't have a needless bevy of multiple endings, unlike this one movie I could mention.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-04-2007, 02:24 AM
i liked part 2 better, but overall this was a great film

the ending pissed me off though, will becomming owner of the dutchman and all, the pirate lords were awesome, and jacks appearance wasnt that great =/ i liked the davy jones closet idea though

Madame Adequate
06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Loved it. Better than Dead Man's Chest, don't know if it's better than Black Pearl though.

Plenty of Barbossa. I agree with this. Not quite enough Davy Jones, but he was still around and it was still great. The humor was back on form, after the somewhat weaker stuff in 2. And say what you will, I thought the stuff in the Locker was great. All those crabs = teh win, for a start.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
06-09-2007, 02:35 AM
yea, i think there wasnt enough davy jones either

Spiffing Cheese
06-10-2007, 12:39 AM
I saw it today and loved it! After the definitely weaker Dead Man's Chest, this was great. Jack at World's End was bizarre but awesome and the only thing I really disliked was Elizabeth's stupid cheesy LET'S FIGHT! speech. Fuck off.

And I loved the mini-Jacks on his shoulders. xDD

Sefie1999AD
06-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End two weeks ago, and I liked the movie, really. I thought it was clearly better than Dead Man's Chest, which I thought was technically a good movie but still had major problems with the pacing (getting started) and the character development, and I also thought the second movie tried to be a bit too serious, while the humor was weak.

Pirates 3 had a fun opening, the middle part was a bit slow but I liked all the cameos there (Norrington, Bootstrap Bill, Captain Teague etc) and the final battle looked great. The ending could have been better, but it was alright. I definitely enjoyed it more than Pirates 2, though I still think the original movie was the best of the trilogy. What I liked about Pirates 3 was that it tried to be more like the first movie than the 2nd one, with some fun action and funny scenes.

For the weak points, I was a bit confused about who's on whose side in the middle, so I kind of gave up in trying to figure that out. I also thought some of the characters were killed off too easily, such as The Kraken, Elizabeth's father and James Norrington. I think they should have gone down in a more impressive way.

All in all, I think Pirates 3 turned out to be a pretty good movie and was a good way to end the trilogy. I was afraid the trilogy would end up like the Matrix (the first movie being great, the second movie being bad and the third movie doing a bit better but still lacking), but fortunately, I don't think it was that bad, and Pirates 3 probably made up for some of the flaws in Pirates 2 as well. I'm never really a fan of sequels, so I actually hope Disney stops here and doesn't ruin the franchise with a possibly awful sequel.

Araciel
06-10-2007, 05:52 PM
i loved it.

Lynx
06-10-2007, 09:35 PM
to me not as good as the first but better then the 2nd.

only part that bothered me was when calypso turned giant and then exploded into crabs.

it was pretty funny and jack and barbosa were the best in it. barbosa was what a typical pirate would be like and he was well i guess a good guy which was cool to see. jack so funny and kinda brought back that always in control vibe he had in the first one.

not enough sword fighting though. and the double crossing confused me to no end. but i like how jack ended things will kinda showing hes not so selfish after all.

Northcrest
06-14-2007, 02:52 PM
I never go to the movies cause my parents never let me (even at the age of 13). I was suppose to go see spiderman 3 with my friend but when my mom heard it was at 8:00p.m. and it wasn't going to end at about 11:00p.m. she said that it was going to pass my bed time but I nevered care and I really wanted to see the movie.

scrumpleberry
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Oh, Elizabeth's "rousing speech".

*SHUDDER*

Thats all I can say about that :(.

Resha
06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
My girlfriend called me a three in the morning to tell me it sucked.
She was right.

It sucked.

Rostum
06-15-2007, 02:31 PM
Resha, I am shocked!

Northcrest
06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I just saw it yesterday and I thought it was awesome but it lacked the sword fighting scenes. But I thought the comedy was awesome.

Resha
06-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Resha, I am shocked!

I'm sorry ;___; The first movie was so fantastic, the sequels just didn't do it justice. They tried to put in way too much. There was no NEED to resurrect a bazillion characters. Will and Elizabeth became dead weight; all I saw them doing was being complete idiots and complicating the plot even further (being mighty annoying doing that too!).

As I wisely said a few hours ago somewhere....

"CLICHE!!!"
"What!??!?! I express shock and horror at your dramatic revelation!"
"CLIFFHANGER!!!"

*scene changes*

~some seaaaa~
"DRAMATIC LINE OF DOOM!!!"
"Oh, I love you!!! Talk to me talk to me!!" (some Liz/Will tension here)
*something rocks the boat or somebody's done something on deck*
"I HAVE THE SOLUTION! EUREKA!"
*some freaky thing happens -- insert a few tentacle/barnacle/repuslive sea creature shots here*
~CLIFFHANGER~

*scene changes*

summed up the movie for ya