PDA

View Full Version : How do you Deal with Bad Dreams?

tidus_rox
05-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Last night I had, what I can say, to be the worst dream ever. I don't have the guts to re-tell it - I would break down crying again. Lets just say it consisted of torture to me and my little toddler sisters.

Now, its 12 oclock and I am too scared to go to bed... So how do you deal with bad dreams?

Fonzie
05-26-2007, 04:41 AM
Crisco. Lots and lots of Crisco.

Freya
05-26-2007, 04:41 AM
I hide under my blanket and stay awake for a few hours.

Xaven
05-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Either one: focus on them and everything that happened, or two: drown the thoughts out with happy music and whatnot.

I prefer the first one. But, I haven't had a "bad" dream in ages. I actually use that method for dealing with any kind of pain. Just concentrate on it. :D

black orb
05-26-2007, 04:43 AM
>>> I have so many bad dreams that I started to enjoy them.

You`ll just get used to them, I guess..

tidus_rox
05-26-2007, 04:44 AM
MMM... It was so terrible. Like, I even cryed at school... and I never cry at school. Lol, I just said there was something in my eye.

Arc_Master_14
05-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Well I doubt my way wil work at midnight but I usually surround myself with all my frineds or go running and I doubt you can or will do those right now

rubah
05-26-2007, 04:50 AM
Turn over and force myself to think of something different.

I used to run to my parents bedroom and tell my daddy that I had a bad dream, but he decided I got too big for that:(

tidus_rox
05-26-2007, 04:55 AM
Yeah... I used to run to my parents room, until they tought me how to deal with things myslef. I love my parents :). But yeah... the getting my mind off of it works the best, I think...

Disco Potato
05-26-2007, 05:06 AM
I try to get the effects of the dream out of my system - write down what happened in it, tell it to someone, start poking fun at some of the weirder aspects of it, etc.

Absconditus_Oraculum
05-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Just ignor it. Its not real, its over by the time you wake up and realize you've had it, it is pointless for it to cross my mind after that.

Ouch!
05-26-2007, 05:20 AM
The last time I had a bad dream that I remembered, I was still young enough that running to my parents was appropriate. I don't remember my dreams anymore.

tidus_rox
05-26-2007, 05:20 AM
well... I'm off to bed, I cant stay awake any more... I will be sure to tell you how my sleep was when I wake up! :) I love you guys so much! Your so helpful *hug* :):)

Agent Proto
05-26-2007, 05:21 AM
Yeah, dreams are fascinating, aren't they? If you had a terrible dream, just remember that it's only a dream and isn't real, so what harm can it do to you? I've had some freaky weird dreams, and rarely a bad dream. If I do end up with a bad dream, I try to make myself wake up and try to forget what I dreamt.

escobert
05-26-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't remember my dreams.

Agrias
05-26-2007, 06:47 AM
I rarely have bad dreams, only because i can control them. The rare chances when i cant control them is when i'm under severe stress in which my subconscious takes control and meshes together in a big clash of one bad dream. Ultimately, i get up, grab a cold glass of water/juice, eat some cheese and go back to bed while thinking of something else.

Callisto
05-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Ever have a dream where in your dream, you know you're dreaming and it will stop if you wake up, but no matter what you do, you can't wake up? It's very....freaky.

41-Inches-Wide
05-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I usually have bad dreams regardless if I was happy or sad the whole day. I really feel scared and I often think that it came true or that it's REALLY going to come true one of these days.

I found out that talking about those dreams help shoo it away. And it's a lot more nicer when the person you're talking to tries to console you and says, "don't worry, it's just a bad dream" because it reinforces the fact that it IS just a dream, and it's just images in the subconsious (it's not real or that it's a "sign" of things to come).

Talk it over with someone who you know will not snort about it or laugh in your face for being scared. Find someone you know who is caring or who is willing to listen.

Jebus
05-26-2007, 11:44 AM
As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a bad dream. Sure some of them are scary as hell, or I die in an exceedingly gruesome manner, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than real life.

Zeldy
05-26-2007, 12:11 PM
The last nightmare I had was when I was 10 years old, and had just watched Hannibal. I kept thinking he'd come and eat me or something :p
I tried focusing on other things.

My Mum went ballistic at my Dad for letting me watch it xD

Dreddz
05-26-2007, 12:19 PM
I think theres ways to change what type of dream you have by changing what you do before bed. You should look up some of those. Me, I just take them as they come, I wouldnt want to stay up solely because Im scared of having a nightmare. Although it would be nice to have pleasant dreams every now and again, my distrubed mind prevents me from having enjoyable dreams. I either dont dream or I have a nightmare.

Marshall Banana
05-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I call Necronopticous. <3<3<3

Mirage
05-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Stop sleeping.

Faris
05-26-2007, 01:22 PM
I've had a few bad dreams lately, so I just got used to them. What I usually do is watch TV. If that fails to distract me, I will surf the web or read a book.

sephirothishere
05-26-2007, 01:24 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a bad dream. Sure some of them are scary as hell, or I die in an exceedingly gruesome manner, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than real life.

Oh, it isn't right what I dooooo.... In my dreams with you.

But ya, never happened to me. Can't remember the last time it had dreams at all. It is irrational fear, probably brought on by too much sugar. Go eat a stick of celery poopy head.

Peter_20
05-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I once had a dream when I saw a great factory in the distance, and then some giant containers started to get filled with water, and each filled container made me feel a terrible pressure in my head that slowly got worse and worse.
In the end it was almost unbearable.

Then I got to know that some victims inside the factory dealt with a pain that was about 1000% worse than what I endured, and I heard faint cries of pain.
I hate these kinds of dreams, the horror is undescibable! >_<

...but then I started listening to Nobuo Uematsu for about an hour, and suddenly I was happy again. :D
Do it yourself as well, the albums will soon be sold out.

Christmas
05-26-2007, 02:53 PM
I usually call the police and get them to send down a special elite force like the SWAT or something and get them to sing me back to sleep. :bigsmile:

fire_of_avalon
05-26-2007, 02:53 PM
If it's daylight when I wake up from the dream (because I always wake up after I dream) I get up and move around til the adrenaline dies down. If it's dark when I wake up from it, I hide if I'm by myself or curl up next to Matt if he's around. I usually wake up with a gasp, so I normally wake up whomever I'm with.

Sergeant Hartman
05-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Laugh out loud.

Mitch
05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
I forget them. Dreams are dreams.

Unless the Sandman targets your ass. Him or Dr Phil.

Rocket Edge
05-26-2007, 04:19 PM
Scientists have proven that eating dairy products before bed could result in bad dreams. I would just say, think of a happy place. Sounds kinda lame, but when I was younger it helped me out.

Proxy
05-26-2007, 09:47 PM
usually if on the rare occasion have them, I stay awake, and watch a movie, or play a game until i get tired again.

Shattered Dreamer
05-27-2007, 12:30 AM
I had a few bad dreams as a kid nowadays I only seem to get them if I drink too much alcohol before going to sleep especially to much Jack Daniels, it causes me to have really vivid dreams. I believe when its alcohol induced its called the horrors or the dt's.

Discord
05-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Last night I had, what I can say, to be the worst dream ever. I don't have the guts to re-tell it - I would break down crying again. Lets just say it consisted of torture to me and my little toddler sisters.

Now, its 12 oclock and I am too scared to go to bed... So how do you deal with bad dreams?

That must have been... a very, very bad dream. I can't really tell. I stopped getting bad dreams at the age of eight or so. I do get a bad dream once every few years now, but that's it. I think healthy diet and so forth helps.

yanis
05-27-2007, 02:05 AM
When I wake up from a bad dream I'm just too sleepy to think about it...and just sleep again...

Goldenboko
05-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I don't get afraid of dreams because I know they aren't real. Know when something real happens...

Nominus Experse
05-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I have sex. Angry, cowardly sex.

tidus_rox
05-28-2007, 09:56 PM

That must have been... a very, very bad dream. I can't really tell. I stopped getting bad dreams at the age of eight or so. I do get a bad dream once every few years now, but that's it. I think healthy diet and so forth helps.

Ok, so I'm so totally over this dream, so I will tell you guys it! (And thanks for all your helpful posts!)

KK really quickly... MMM... K, so I was in my house (but it wasn't even my house... just like this barn thing) and this maniac walked in (please dont laugh... it was very scary.) He tied me and my brother to a chair. My parents weren't home becuase it was their anniversairy. So the guy made me and my brother cut ourselfs with razor baldes. Then, randomly - my sisters showed up. (They are 3 and 5 years old.) The man told us to come with him. I grabbed Madelynn (The 5 year old) and my brother grabbed Erika (2 year old). We walked to a school, which again was not mine. It was very dark out. He pointed to a bus and said "Get in." Alex and Erika got in right away, afraid of getting hurt if they didn't. But I asked the man "all's your doing is toruring us, your not even killing us!" He replyed "Not yet!" That was it for me. I ran, carrying Madelynn. We ran into the parking lot of the school, and shouted for help. People from a meeting at my school were just leaving, but they couldn't hear me screaming. MY sister wasn't even crying (she's a brave little thing.) Finally somebody heared me and the person brought me to a room with a bunch of people in it (I don't know who any of them were.) They were all having a good time, but me and my sister were just sitting in the corner crying. After hours of me worrying where my brother and sister were, my sister came in. (How she knew where we were, I dont know) She looked absolutly traumatized. I can't explain it with words the look on her face. It is why I am so scared of the dream. It may seem silly to be afraid of how she looked, but she is so cute, and it looked like she had seen something so terrible... Anyway, I obviously was so happy to see her. But then, I finally asked her "where's Alex??" She looked at me with those scared eyes... And she said "He got burned.." Quicly, it showed me a chair with Alex sitting in it, burnt to a crisp... Me and my two sisters cryed... I woke up and I cryed...

I would normally be crying right now, too, but I am only tearry eyed... Means I am getting over it!! :):)

So thats my dream! Thanks for reading!!!

Yukki-Chan
05-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I haven't had a bad dream since I was 8 I think, and I only seem to have dreams if I wake up in the morning and go back to sleep again but their all quite nice or just weird now.

For bad dreams go to sleep listening to nice music, it'll filter in subconciously and give you good dreams. Either that or practice lucid dreaming. (the control of dreams and what not)

Goldenboko
05-28-2007, 10:01 PM

What don't you solve with sex? (Bad sex maybe?)

yanis
05-28-2007, 10:14 PM
Reading your dream, tidus_rox, I felt really bad, I can imagine how you felt...what if my sister was in that dream:(...hopefully it's just a dream...:D

Jess
05-28-2007, 10:30 PM
I get lots of bad dreams. The only way I can deal with them is to remind myself they're not real, and try to go to bed happy. :jess:

final fantasy is stinky
05-28-2007, 11:36 PM
I wake up and stay awake the rest of the night. then I do my best to not sleep at all until I forget about the dream... it works for me:love:

Leen-Leen
05-29-2007, 12:20 AM
I don't think I've had a bad dream for a while, but when I do, I turn on the TV in my room to like, Food Network. Or something. And then I turn on the lamp next to me and read a Real Simple magazine or two.

Nominus Experse
05-29-2007, 09:10 AM

What don't you solve with sex? (Bad sex maybe?)
AIDS

Larahl
05-29-2007, 09:27 AM
I didn't have a bad dream in years, probably 10 years or even more, so I just don't have to deal with them.
But if I did have one, I'll probably just forget about it because it's just a dream.

Quindiana Jones
05-29-2007, 08:55 PM
I use my magic mind powers to change them into good things. A bit like the thing in Harry Potter 3.

Polaris
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I had a huge nightmare today! I dreamt with a girl tying to suicide and she ended up being killed by a bomb... It wasn't good! But I was so tired that after I got up I fell asleep again!

scrumpleberry
05-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I read until I'm too knackered to stay awake again. It works. I sometimes think about it the next morning.

I barely dream anymore.