PDA

View Full Version : What would make you buy this?

Wolf Kanno
05-26-2007, 09:18 AM
So I'm reading through my newest issue of Play magazine and the cover story is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles which some of you may recognize as Castlevania: Rhondo of Blood for the PC Engine with a 3D face lift. The game not only has revamped graphics and a remixed soundtrack, but also features the orignal 2D version of the game as well as Symphony of the Night (It's sequel) as unlockables.

I really want this game... but not enough to buy a PSP. In fact the PSP has a long list of good games (mostly ports of stuff I can't find anymore... I'm looking at you Valkyrie Profile and Darkstalkers.:mad: ) but overall, not enough to make me willing to shove out the money to buy a PSP.

So my question is... what would make you buy this impotent piece of technological nonsense the Sony tries to pass as game system?

Your comments? Questions? Blasphemous lies?!

demondude
05-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Have you got a ds if you have you don'y need a psp really.

sephirothishere
05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
Iunno...just get a psp emulatorrrr.

Dreddz
05-26-2007, 11:19 AM
I think at the time I bought one because of Darkstalkers or something. I got a PSP early in its life. A few years later I can now see it didnt live up to its potential, however, thats not to say I dislike the system. Yes, while its library consists mainly of ports, theres a handful of great fighters in there which I nabbed up as soon as I could. They were all fantastic. I also got heavily into the emulation and homebrew side of it. So now I just play PS1 games on my PSP. In the long run It wasnt a bad purchise.

Madame Adequate
05-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Rerelease of Suikoden/Suikoden II.

Larahl
05-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Rerelease of Star Ocean 1&2.
Oh, wait, they're already doing it. :love:

sephirothishere
05-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Nahhhh...Suikoden one and two dun relaly need re releasing, especially seeing as they weren't released in europe :D! Well, suikoden 2 wasn't.

Discord
05-26-2007, 01:50 PM

It's coming... someday!

Slothy
05-26-2007, 02:19 PM
I also got heavily into the emulation and homebrew side of it. So now I just play PS1 games on my PSP. In the long run It wasnt a bad purchise.

This would be a good reason.

To be honest, I don't have one, but I've been more and more tempted lately. Even though some games are ports, they're ports of games I never played originally, and the lineup overall has been getting a lot better as of late. MGS: Portable Ops is almost reason enough for me to buy one on it's own, so I may get one before the year's out. Especially since I'm not overly taken with most of what I see out on the DS (I really only use my mom's DS to play GBA games now).

Rase
05-26-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm just waiting for a price knock down to about a hundred bones before I buy one. Yeah, I'm cheap.

black orb
05-26-2007, 04:40 PM
what would make you buy this impotent piece of technological nonsense the Sony tries to pass as game system?
>>> An EoFF RPG developed by Squarenix. In other words, I`ll never get a PSP..

Necronopticous
05-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Drac X already reserved. Can't wait.

The PSP has a decent amount of solid titles at this point. It's sort of hard to tell when you're looking at it in the shadow of the mighty DS, which is undoubtedly the superior handheld, however, the PSP has had a respectible enough library for at least the last six months to merit the price. Denying its existence as a game system is just a defense mechanism keeping you from admitting that you actually want a PSP, even though you've been looking down on it for the past couple years.

black orb
05-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Denying its existence as a game system is just a defense mechanism keeping you from admitting that you actually want a PSP, are a poor bastard who can`t afford a PSP.
>>> I use that defense mechanism..

Wolf Kanno
05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
Have you got a ds if you have you don'y need a psp really.

I do indeed own a DS and am pretty damn happy with it. :D

Oddly enough, I never liked using emulators. For some odd reason it bothers me to play old console games on my computer. But mostly cause I don't really need an emulator. Well that and it doesn't exist yet;)

I think at the time I bought one because of Darkstalkers or something. I got a PSP early in its life. A few years later I can now see it didnt live up to its potential, however, thats not to say I dislike the system. Yes, while its library consists mainly of ports, theres a handful of great fighters in there which I nabbed up as soon as I could. They were all fantastic. I also got heavily into the emulation and homebrew side of it. So now I just play PS1 games on my PSP. In the long run It wasnt a bad purchise.

This is one of the few appealing things about the system, though it's sad to see the system reduced to using these measures.

I don't remember hearing about Konami releasing this little gem outside of Japan?

Rerelease of Star Ocean 1&2.
Oh, wait, they're already doing it. :love:

Star Ocean 1 is tempting but I already own a copy of 2 :love:

I also got heavily into the emulation and homebrew side of it. So now I just play PS1 games on my PSP. In the long run It wasnt a bad purchise.

This would be a good reason.

To be honest, I don't have one, but I've been more and more tempted lately. Even though some games are ports, they're ports of games I never played originally, and the lineup overall has been getting a lot better as of late. MGS: Portable Ops is almost reason enough for me to buy one on it's own, so I may get one before the year's out. Especially since I'm not overly taken with most of what I see out on the DS (I really only use my mom's DS to play GBA games now).

MGS: Portable Ops is another major tempting point the system has, as well as the two AC!D games ("card battle system" does not necessarily make me flee in terror) as I am a huge Metal Gear fan. I'm sorry the DS doesn't interest you though as I find it to be a good step in the right direction for the future of gaming.

Drac X already reserved. Can't wait.

The PSP has a decent amount of solid titles at this point. It's sort of hard to tell when you're looking at it in the shadow of the mighty DS, which is undoubtedly the superior handheld, however, the PSP has had a respectible enough library for at least the last six months to merit the price. Denying its existence as a game system is just a defense mechanism keeping you from admitting that you actually want a PSP, even though you've been looking down on it for the past couple years.

Honestly, the three MGS titles I mentioned are the only "original" titles I'm interested in. Most of the other games I want are just ports. My major hang up with the PSP is that it isn't really a game system as much as it is a "portable entertainment center" the system has several features that would go to waste in my possession and Sony (to me anyway) has never once tried to market this thing very well as an actual game system.

I never felt like Sony tried to think of this as a true handheld game system and it's library of games show. out of everything released for it, I want three original titles and about six ports. That's pretty sad when you consider the systems age. :(

Renmiri
05-27-2007, 10:25 PM
I have yet to buy a DS or PSP. Trying to decide which one is better

Slothy
05-28-2007, 04:49 PM

MGS: Portable Ops is another major tempting point the system has, as well as the two AC!D games ("card battle system" does not necessarily make me flee in terror) as I am a huge Metal Gear fan. I'm sorry the DS doesn't interest you though as I find it to be a good step in the right direction for the future of gaming.

The way I see it, the DS is loaded mostly with casual games; stuff with little depth that you can either beat quickly, or get the total value of the gameplay in about fifteen minutes, and stuff like that usually manages to bore me in five minutes. Granted the entire library of games isn't like that, but most of the ones that aren't don't really tickle my fancy either. Unfortunately, I think the ease of development encourages the flood of casual games more than anything so I don't see the overall trend letting up any time soon (this is my problem with the Wii as well) and leaves someone like me who wants more than a game you can play for fifteen minutes at a time out in the cold. I like the DS concept; I think it has a neat gimmick that has a lot more potential in serious games, but the current trend in game development on the system doesn't leave me overly excited. The PSP may have fewer games overall, but what is there generally caters more to my tastes than what the DS can offer me.

Wolf Kanno
05-31-2007, 08:47 AM

The way I see it, the DS is loaded mostly with casual games; stuff with little depth that you can either beat quickly, or get the total value of the gameplay in about fifteen minutes, and stuff like that usually manages to bore me in five minutes. Granted the entire library of games isn't like that, but most of the ones that aren't don't really tickle my fancy either. Unfortunately, I think the ease of development encourages the flood of casual games more than anything so I don't see the overall trend letting up any time soon (this is my problem with the Wii as well) and leaves someone like me who wants more than a game you can play for fifteen minutes at a time out in the cold. I like the DS concept; I think it has a neat gimmick that has a lot more potential in serious games, but the current trend in game development on the system doesn't leave me overly excited. The PSP may have fewer games overall, but what is there generally caters more to my tastes than what the DS can offer me.

The library has quite a few solid games if your willing to look, just not too many "name brand" stuff. I agree that the Wii is falling into this trend with Zelda being the only exception right now. The DS is doing a little better and it's for this reason I purchased one. Honestly the Castlevania (did I mention I love Konami?:love: ) games as well as some of Squeenix's recent entries are pretty damn solid. Capcom, Konami, and Squenix are all starting to put some effort into the system. Sure the recent faves for the system have a collective game time of 2 hours but they are actually solid.

I'm hoping that in the next year and half, the Wii itself will start showing this trend once third party companies overcome their cold feet of the technology. The library for the system is "cute" at best but I will say that playing Zelda on the system was one of the most magical experiences I've had in gaming for awhile. The Wii has the potential to be great but it will only work if people actually put effort into the system. Something I feel the PSP unfortunately lacked.

VorpalCyberWolf
05-31-2007, 09:18 AM
I recently got a PSP thats region free so I can play any game. The primary purpose I bought it was so I could get the remake of FFT for it though. It makes a nifty mp3 player for when Im at work (No, I don't have an Ipod) and there are a few gems among the titles that are only available for it. I have Darkstalkers, Locoroco, The Genesis Collection and I plan on getting the Castlevania game as well as FFT: The War Of The Lions as well. I also look forward to any other gems like the above and will enjoy my PSP for times to come. I have a DS as well, but sometimes you cant get everything you want with just one system.

Bunny
05-31-2007, 12:19 PM

I don't remember hearing about Konami releasing this little gem outside of Japan?

You asked what would make us buy a PSP. I believe that would be MILF's answer. It is also mine.

Roto13
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm just waiting for a price knock down to about a hundred bones before I buy one.

Yeah, pretty much. :P I feel dirty about paying a lot of money for a handheld.

KentaRawr!
06-02-2007, 08:10 PM
Mostly because of the Emulation side, here. >_> At least that's why my brother and I got one.