PDA

View Full Version : Plot Analysis?

Lunatic Pandora
05-28-2007, 06:52 PM
Does anybody know where I might find a FAQ or something that breaks down the plot of FFXII step by step with each event that occurs? Kind of like the Plot Analysis FAQ for FFVII on GameFAQs by falsehead. I'd kind of like to get a better understanding of what's going on before I get too much further and then be at the "point of no return" as far as comprehension goes.

Am I the only one to find the plot of FFXII hard to understand?

Thanks,

Cap'n Basch
05-29-2007, 03:23 AM
Understand, probably. Follow, no - there are plenty of people here who struggled to follow the game's story because they expected an interactive movie but got a video game (and lack the attention span for one).

And if you can't find a plot FAQ on GameFAQs, it's probably a safe bet one doesn't exist yet. Best thing to do is post whatever questions you have here and in between the nonsense comments about a lack of story, someone sensible will answer you.

Bolivar
05-29-2007, 04:50 AM
^ Woah, Basch, take it easy. No need for mudslinging.

I've been looking for one too, i'm sure it'll turn up on GameFAQs soon once someone realises there's a demand for it.

Actually it'd be cool if we had one here and it got stickied.

Cap'n Basch
05-29-2007, 07:03 AM
Mudslinging? Please don't throw that term around if you don't grasp what it means, it doesn't apply here.

What I did was comment on a general and demonstratable trend here and on other forums. There is no difference between what I said and "any given FFVII board with a topic about Sephiroth's character will be full of people talking about how awesome he is without actually giving detail or talking about the character properly" except that you are less comfortable with the former. I even added that there would be sensible replies, same as there would be in the Sephiroth topic, buried under all the noise.

broken_zero
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Seriously guys if you are too lazy to understand the story then dont play such an amazing game.

I absolutely hate seeing posts saying 'Just completed the game or just playing the game; whats happening?? i don't understand???'

It is complete laziness, play the game and listen to what is being said!

Posts about fighting bosses, your opinion on a certain character or situations is alright but sheer stupidity and laziness is just annoying.

Play the game and listen, it really is not that hard!!

gudkid
05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
i was just reading by this thread and i do agree with broken_zero...
there are some players who just play and not even try to grasp what's happenin' in-game.
those type of players probably don't get what an rpg means...
they probably skip the cutscenes or just have a very high testosterone levels when they get into a battle....

Renmiri
05-29-2007, 08:31 PM
There's a thread here but it only goes up to Bhujerba

http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xii/102974-story-so-far.html

Bolivar
05-30-2007, 01:05 AM
Mudslinging? Please don't throw that term around if you don't grasp what it means, it doesn't apply here.

What I did was comment on a general and demonstratable trend here and on other forums. There is no difference between what I said and "any given FFVII board with a topic about Sephiroth's character will be full of people talking about how awesome he is without actually giving detail or talking about the character properly" except that you are less comfortable with the former. I even added that there would be sensible replies, same as there would be in the Sephiroth topic, buried under all the noise.

Dictionary.com's Definition of Mudslinging (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mudslinging)

Why is it that you're so quick to get defensive when no one is attacking you or your ideas? Normally I'd give a sarcastic response to your post, but I'm feeling very at peace with the world today, so I'll leave it at that.

On topic, I don't feel people's inability to grasp the storyline has anything to do with their intelligence, but moreso with their forgetfulness, after doing hours of mark hunts and dungeon crawling.

Disco Potato
05-30-2007, 01:31 AM
If you have time to spare, rewatching the cutscenes themselves might help. When I finished the game I thought I didn't understand the story either, but after rewatching the movies I realized I had just forgotten some of the story after all the grinding and farming I had to do:
FFXII cutscenes (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=900762B527A49EEC&page=1)

Wikipedia has a general summary of the plot:
Final Fantasy XII - Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XII#Story)

Lunatic Pandora
05-30-2007, 02:11 AM
Oh... umm... well thanks for those that have replied with good intentions. My misunderstanding of the game isn't due to laziness. I figured the storyline had much more meaning under the surface of what's actually being said between characters. I really don't see why someone thinks I'm not playing the game for the joy of it. If I really didn't care to grasp the story, why would I ask a question about it? I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7-10 immensely and never had a problem comprehending the story.

Anyway, thanks to those who have helped answer my question. I didn't mean for anyone to verbally attack anyone else. I'll stop talking now.

Renmiri
05-31-2007, 01:35 AM
If I really didn't care to grasp the story, why would I ask a question about it? I enjoyed Final Fantasy 7-10 immensely and never had a problem comprehending the story.

Anyway, thanks to those who have helped answer my question. I didn't mean for anyone to verbally attack anyone else. I'll stop talking now.

That is the reason I linked you to that old thread. Wolf Kano and others here have a deep view of the story and feel no need to insult anyone's intelligence just because you might disagree with their taste in games. I suggest you put Mr. Basch and some others up here on ignore. I did :p

Setzer Gabianni
05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
:( I disagree with you [SOMETIMES], but I hope you don't block me. :(

Firo Volondé
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
FFXII's gameplay more than makes up for its story. :) As long as the battles are fun, this game is most definitely worth your time.

Hazzard
05-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I hate it when people think that the gameplay makes up for the "Disadvantages" of the story, because I think it's really remarkable for the first 2/3, but some people will get lost on the last third because of all the side-quests, and errands. You may lose track of the story, but it's still easy to keep a grasp of what's going on. If you just listen clearly to what they say in the cutscenes, and intune your hearing, then it' easy enough to understand. Do people have a problem with the story because the language is very sophistacated, unmodern and out of this time period? I understand everything which goes on, and I'm only thirteen.

Renmiri
05-31-2007, 07:39 PM
:( I disagree with you [SOMETIMES], but I hope you don't block me. :(
Never!!! :p

I never block people who disagree with me. I did block the jerk that thinks anyone who disagrees with HIM is like a child with ADD. Not worth my time! :p

FFXII's gameplay more than makes up for its story. :) As long as the battles are fun, this game is most definitely worth your time.
QFT

..If you just listen clearly ... intune your hearing, then it' easy enough to understand. Do people have a problem with the story because the language is very sophistacated, unmodern and out of this time period?...
You are starting from the premise that it is impossible for someone to understand and listen to the XII story and NOT LIKE IT. Which is very annoying. I admire your love for the game and I did like the game too, but in your enthusiasm for it you are being disrespectful to people who don't like XII's story.

I can guarantee you I'm perfectly capable of listening to and reading sophistacated, unmodern stories and liking them. As an example, I cite "The Name of The Rose". It is a wonderful book and a masterful movie, with very hermetic language and plot.

If you are interested in knowing why I think badly about the XII story, there are countless threads where I jousted with XII fans who know how to debate without throwing a tantrum and saying "anyone who disagrees with me doesn't know how to read / listen / has ADD / sucks balls / fails at life / ..."