PDA

View Full Version : Odin Sphere

Larahl
05-28-2007, 10:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/Odinssphere.png
Background story
Odin Sphere is set in Erion, a world of several large and powerful nations. The countries were holding an uneasy peace and keeping each other constantly in check. One day the most powerful country, Valentine, was obliterated mysteriously, which sparks a war between two of the other nations, Ringford and Ragnaval. They go to war to fill the power vacuum but what they did not realize is that their turmoil is part of a long lost prophecy that could lead to the end of the world. All the characters play a part in how their interwoven lives can put an end to the prophecy.

I'm an hour into the game, and I love, just love it.
The graphics are the most beautiful 2D graphics I've ever seen,
and the storyline so far is so interesting that I just want to play it more and more to see what happens next.

It's an Action RPG, so prepare for lots of lots of action, but it's a good thing because it's much fun.
I just love it how so many enemies come and I kick their sorry ass.
Also, the boss battles so far were extremely fun and enjoyful.

Searching for the best and easy way to kill a boss is fun, fun and fun,
and to keep it challenging, they're sending the boss reinforcements from time to time.

I just took a break to tell you all about it.
Don't tell me later that I don't love you!

What are you doing still here? Go and buy it! NOW!

So, who had the chance to pick it up and play it? :)

Maxico
05-28-2007, 10:43 PM
What are you doing still here? Go and buy it! NOW!

Very funny Mister NTSC. :(

Black Mage
05-28-2007, 11:45 PM
I picked up the game on release and mentioned it earlier in the "Games You Are Playing" thread a few days back. I wrote up a little preview for another forum days ago, and I'll copy and paste it here. Here's the little blurb I wrote the day after it came out.

"I picked mine up yesterday as well, and as I'm at work now I can attest that this game is amazing. In fact, I lost sleep playing it, and despite how I currently feel I regret nothing.

"Odin Sphere delivers in every aspect: Art direction/Graphics, music, game play, simplicity + complexity, and voice acting. I'm in love with this game, and surely I can only imagine Valkyrie Profile topping it as my favorite, and I haven't even completed it yet.

The art is wonderful. Certainly the biggest draw, and what would cause many people to buy it in the first place. Amazingly well animated, and with painstaking detail. You can see the devotion of the animators, as there are specific animations used only in the cutscenes maybe used only once or twice in the game. That's the kind of detail that shows a developer really cares about making a quality game.

The music, composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto, is absolutely amazing. It's truly Sakimoto at his best and he's put out some absolutely wonderful soundtracks. He's renowned enough to where I don't really need to say much more about that.

The game play is also great. It's been akin to a brawler or fighting game, and that's certainly true. It's very simplistic in execution, tap Square to combo, jump and tap Square to air combo, and jump twice and hit down and Square to do a downward attack. It's very simple, but battles require more than just tapping Square. When you're in a jam, you can plant seeds which can result in various results. For example, after collecting Phozons (Which appear from downed enemies) a seed can grow into a plant which blossoms into fruit, which you can then use to restore your HP. There's a variety of different plants and seeds, each with their own draw backs and benefits.

The complexity of the game comes from the EXP system and the Alchemy system. You can gain EXP for your weapon, called a Psypher, by absorbing the Phozons that drop from enemies. Collecting these Phozons increases your weapon's Exp as well as fills a gauge that allows you to use various skills and magic. The other form of Exp is for your HP, which you gain by eating various fruit. Each fruit can restore a certain amount of HP, and results in a certain amount of Exp. This is where choosing what seeds to plant becomes important. Do you want high restorative fruit with low Exp, or lower restoration yielding a higher Exp return?

The Alchemy system is in place to allow you to create items from using a catalyst called "Material." Each Material bottle has a number associated with it. Depending on the number of the Material you use, combining it with another item will result in a new item as well as more Phozons. The higher the number of your Material, the higher the Phozon count will be.

And finally, the voice acting. I've only listened to the Japanese cast as of now, but it's amazing. Every character is voiced, even NPCs you find as you walk around. There are very familiar voice actors and actresses for those who are well versed in Anime. The quality is just stunning. I've also read that the English cast do a good job as well, but I cannot personally attest to that yet.

This turned out to be more of a preview of the game than what I intended, but really it's just more of me gushing over this game. It's really amazing, and I implore any of you who enjoy quality games to pick this up. It also helps if you're acquainted with Princess Crown, as it's plays similarly to that. And if you're not, pick it up for your PSP for it, too, is a great game.

Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this game. It's just that great."

Currently, I've cleared 4 of the 7 "books," and am on the 5th. Which means there's only two more "books" afterwards. The largest issue with the game is the frame rate, which can drop astronomically in certain boss battles. (Most noticeably against Odette.) But regardless of its flaws, the game truly is great. I can't stress that enough.

Dragonface
05-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Aloud me to ask this: When the PAL version ready?

Maxico
05-29-2007, 12:13 AM
Aloud me to ask this: When the PAL version ready?

Apparantly, never.

Hence my previous comment.

Slothy
05-29-2007, 12:45 AM
I must say, I picked this up the day it came out and aside from being one of the more entertaining action RPG's I've ever played, it's without a doubt the most beautiful game I've played. Ever. There's not a pixel to be seen the sprites are so well drawn.

In fact, this game makes me extremely happy that the PS3 now upscales PS2 games into HD because playing this thing in 720p has been an absolute joy for the eyes.

Dragonface
05-29-2007, 12:45 AM
Is Larahl is infact in the PAL area? Oh and Maxico, if you say never then you need to show me some facts that support your clam.

Auragaea
05-29-2007, 02:33 AM
I'm on Velvet's story right now, and I'm loving the story so much!! The gameplay is absolutely fantastic with Mercedes and Velvet, okay with Gwendolyn and Cornelius, but absolutely horrible with Oswald. I wonder what those last books are, though...

Madame Adequate
05-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Is Larahl is infact in the PAL area? Oh and Maxico, if you say never then you need to show me some facts that support your clam.

Larahl, if he lives in a PAL area, might still have NTSC equipment, like I do. And Maxico's claim is supported by the abject lack of any announced plans to release OS in PAL regions.

Mirage
05-29-2007, 04:10 AM

Claiming that any lesser-known game is to be released in PAL territories is an extraordinary claim, so no.

Larahl
05-29-2007, 09:14 AM
Larahl, if he lives in a PAL area, might still have NTSC equipment, like I do.
You got it right.
There's a store here that sells PAL games along with NTSC games, so I can buy from that store anything.
They even got Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+!

Raven Nox
05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I bought this game on release day and I love it. I'm on Oswald's book right now, and he's probably my best character so far, and my favorite. The story has been really interesting, as you get to see it from so many different points of view. I'm having a blast with the gameplay, it's probably the most fun I've had with a game for awhile. The only real complaint I have is the slowdowns, but those don't happen often enough for me to really care.

I'm pretty sure by the time I finish it, it'll be one of my favorites, if not my favorite game.

Madame Adequate
05-29-2007, 01:05 PM
You got it right.
There's a store here that sells PAL games along with NTSC games, so I can buy from that store anything.

I'm moving to Rustyspoonville.

Larahl
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
You got it right.

I'm moving to Rustyspoonville.
Woohoo! More people to torture have fun with! :D

Dreddz
05-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I was tempted to get the game but from what I hear its more of a action side scroller than any type of RPG game. Nothing wrong with that but I dont really see myself enjoying it much. Those graphics sure do look pretty though, maybe thats reason alone to get the game. Ill probably download the game sometime in the future.

Sephex
05-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I just got this for my birthday yesterday, and I must say I am enjoying it a lot even though I didn't spend too much time with it. So far everything is great. Even the english voice acting is well done. For elitist nitpickers, you can switch it to japanese. Anyway, it's worth the price alone just for the beautful 2D world.

JKTrix
05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
For elitist nitpickers, you can switch it to japanese.

But one reason we love Atlus.