PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get a kick out of leveling up in some RPG:s?

Peter_20
05-29-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm playing Dragon Quest 2 right now, and while it isn't quite as good as it's sequels, it *is* really fun when it comes to leveling up.
I always start off with running around outside of Midenhall Castle until I reach LV3, then I go "yay! I'm strong enough!" and head for Leftwyne; then I fight around close to that town until I reach LV8 and can afford the über-equipment in the town.
And so on!
I would do this in almost every RPG for the NES, and while it's usually required, I tend to find it really fun; you really get the feeling that all that leveling up actually has a purpose.
You could get slaughtered by T3h Killer Monster, gain some levels, and then suddenly slaughter T3h Killer Monster yourself in return, as thanks. :D

demondude
05-29-2007, 01:26 PM
leveling all 108 stars of destiny in suikoden v was always cool to do

James Leopold
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Out of the FFs I've played so far, I think the levelling up in FF2 is the most fun. The system is completely different to the other 3 that i've played, and you have to be hit in order for your HP to go up.
So to increase my HP faster, I tell my party to attack themselves in a fight. They level up really fast.

Dreddz
05-29-2007, 02:12 PM
Just as long as the gameplay is good.

Zeromus_X
05-29-2007, 09:15 PM
I often try not to powerlevel unless absolutely necessary.

The exception being the superbosses in the Star Ocean games, since having a team of level 255 characters just looks awesome.

Rostum
05-30-2007, 04:01 AM
I don't really like leveling up, but I will if I have to. I guess it's different with MMO's for me, as you are kind of building up your character to do dungeons and other events with friends.

That said, I love being strategic with my battle systems.

Peter_20
05-30-2007, 05:56 AM
Out of the FFs I've played so far, I think the levelling up in FF2 is the most fun. The system is completely different to the other 3 that i've played, and you have to be hit in order for your HP to go up.
So to increase my HP faster, I tell my party to attack themselves in a fight. They level up really fast.The game feels even more awesome if you let the stats develop by themselves, though. ;)

Auragaea
05-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.

Peter_20
05-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.Have you tried DQ1 for the NES?
That entire game consists of training, and it's STILL fun.

Level up at Tantegel, get the best equipment there, move on to Garinham, get the best equipment there, move on to Kol, get the best equipment there etc etc etc.

:D

VorpalCyberWolf
05-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Depends on the gameplay and my mood.

Eiko Guy
05-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I love stomping enemies but then I also love every fight being like a miniboss. WHen I gt stumped I want to find a strategy that will work at my current level instead of forcing me to be bored with weak monsters training. Hack slash rinse repeat. Blech I would die if that was videogaming.

Mirage
05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Not a kick, but it makes me feel superior.

ljkkjlcm9
05-30-2007, 07:28 PM
In earlier RPGs you had to level to get anywhere. Literally take time aside to do some leveling to actually have some success. In nowadays RPGs, just play through and you should level adequately. Just don't run from fights. I seriously NEVER run from a fight.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
05-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Level grinding sucks. :(

Peter_20
05-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Level grinding sucks. :(No, it doesn't. :monster:

I love how the characters gradually become stronger and stronger, and then suddenly somebody learns this Fireball spell or whatever, and I'm like OMG let's kill the enemies even faster, and then suddenly I can afford the best equipment, and then I breeze through the dungeon of death in which I got slaughtered an hour ago. :D

As I practically stated earlier, this is particularly fun in the early Dragon Quest games, especially DQ2 and DQ3.
Wohoo!

Gyna
05-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.

had my first playthrough of DQ8 recently, as usual without internet help, so my character weren't skilled optimally plus they had bad gear :D
did the whole thing without powerleveling, only going through the main story; i think my characters were level 38-39 when i beat rhapthorne. he was hard but he died in the end :)

Hazzard
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
I love to level up in Golden Sun, especially when you realize you just learned an amazing new move.

Araciel
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM
sometimes it's fun....like in KOTOR..which is based on a PnP RPG, sometimes it's monotonous, like in ff1

Maxico
05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
No.

You have OCD.

Xander
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
I like levelling in RO! # do do do do! # And yay job/skill point. But everything is cute and makes me happy in RO so yeah :)

Yuffie514
06-01-2007, 05:25 AM
leveling up is always important and fun, except for when the exp is split.

Rengori
06-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Anyone who has OCD with leveling up will love Disgaea, the limit's LVL 9999.

Eiko Guy
06-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Is there anywhere in the game where being that level would actually be the only thing to let you win.
I guess that is just a gimmick. A good/cheap gommock.

Lawr
06-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I always overlevel in RPGs without noticing.
(SO3, Final Fantasy, etcetera...)

Except for Dragon Quest!! RAAAWR! :nonono:

I hate leveling up in any RPG. That’s why I couldn’t defeat Rhapthorne in DQVIII. I just gave up because of the amount of time wasted trying to find Metal Slimes.Have you tried DQ1 for the NES?
That entire game consists of training, and it's STILL fun.

Level up at Tantegel, get the best equipment there, move on to Garinham, get the best equipment there, move on to Kol, get the best equipment there etc etc etc.

:D

*Cough*FFI*Cough*

Jowy
06-01-2007, 10:52 PM
Level-grinding is the bane of my existence. It's why I'm never going to finish Silmeria.

Unless we're talking about Ragnarok Online like Xander said. I don't care how boring that game is, give me a bow (preferably dopp/phree gakk or trip crit xbow) some Oridecon Arrows, toss me in Glast Heim Chivalry 2, and I'll be pacified for at least eight hours.

ReloadPsi
06-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Only in FFX and XII, since their battle systems are way more fun than their ATB predecessors.

Zeromus_X
06-02-2007, 05:35 AM
Level-grinding is the bane of my existence. It's why I'm never going to finish Silmeria.

You don't have to get those uber weapons. :/

Jowy
06-02-2007, 05:42 AM

You don't have to get those uber weapons. :/

BUT I WANT THEM!

Peter_20
06-02-2007, 02:43 PM
*Cough*FFI*Cough*Nope, because you can get by fairly well with the Silver Sword for a good while, without having to buy this Sword of Destruction-ness ten minutes later, a la Dragon Quest. :monster:

Besides, you never *find* a single piece of equipment in Dragon Quest 1, except for the Cursed things.

Spammerman
06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
If it countsm the only game i lvl up in ia Oblivion or other games that tailor to your gameplay, like crackdown. its fun having my abilties evolve ad suit my needs.

Tavrobel
06-02-2007, 03:43 PM
I hate leveling. It is the worst abomination since RPGs.

Cless
06-06-2007, 03:01 AM
I dislike having to consciously go out of my way to level up in RPGs, especially when it is required for progression through the story. It's probably the reason why I have went off RPGs in general these days. I used to endure it in the past when I had a lot more free time on my hands, but I cannot afford to spend much time levelling up anymore.

The way I look at it is, level grinding is basically the same in most RPGs. You find an area containing enemies yielding high experience points, keep fighting said enemies using appropriate strategy and repeat ad infinitum until desired level is attained. Almost zero skill or critical thinking is required from the part of the player and yet the process usually takes long time. One can practically do this whilst in a semi-comatose state for hours if necessary as the process is almost passive. I believe that levelling up systems in RPGs should perhaps attempt to be more naturalistic in operation and ensure that the player should not have to "level grind" to finish a game or see all it has to offer. I feel that games should reward skill and progression on the part of the player, not the willingness to number crunch for hours on end. Although perhaps that is a critique of the RPG in general.

If you enjoy levelling, by all means, don't let me dissuade you! However, do you actually enjoy the levelling process, or just the levelling up effect that it produces?

Spammerman
06-06-2007, 03:11 AM
In response to Cless' post, i agree. I like games like Oblivion, because you don't have to just slay monsters continuously to level, just play through and you get your skills from doing things like sneak or alchemy.

sockmonkey
06-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I prefer levels to go up as a natural concequence of playing. That being said, I don't mind a *little* level grinding, particularly if I'm just one or two levels away from a new skill or substantial stat bonus. If I'm at such a point right before a hard dungeon or boss battle I'll happilly put in the time.

Fujiko
07-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Are you kidding?! Leveling up is so annoying in most rpgs. Ew.

NorthernChaosGod
07-03-2010, 04:33 AM
Posting in zombie thread.

Laddy
07-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Elder Scrolls leveling is fun.

Vyk
07-03-2010, 05:41 AM
Fuji seems to be having fun playing thread resurrection lately xD

I'm with the people who are okay with leveling happening naturally while enjoying the game. Actually just walking around in circles getting in fight after fight just to progress is counter-productive and annoying gameplay length padding

Madame Adequate
07-03-2010, 05:54 AM
It lives! IT LIIIIIIIVESSS!

I love seeing the little numbers get bigger.

Wolf Kanno
07-03-2010, 06:09 AM
*rolls a natural 20* My shotgun critical hits the zombie and blows its smurfing head off.... HAIL TO THE KING BABY! :cool: