PDA

View Full Version : Overshadowed Square Games

Jessweeee♪
05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
What awesome Square game do you think is underrated due to the Final Fantasy hype?

I'll say

Threads of Fate

Larahl
05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
It seems like every other person and his mother likes Threads of Fate, so I don't see how it's "overshadowed."

Ramza Beoulve
05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Einhänder
Legend of Mana

I bet a lot of people haven't heard of Einhänder

Auragaea
05-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately, I've played Einhander :cry:

Jessweeee♪
05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
It seems like every other person and his mother likes Threads of Fate, so I don't see how it's "overshadowed."

Really? It's seemed to me that every other person and his mother thinks "Threads of Fate? Is that a lame poem or something?"

That's usually the response I get :\
Of course, that could be different in a Final Fantasy themed community.

Black Mage
05-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Threads of Fate is pretty popular around these parts. That's not to say it's not under appreciated by the "Gamer" demographic as a whole, though.

I picked up Threads of Fate at the recommendation of this very board some months ago but I didn't really take to it. I'll have to give it another shot some day, but I guess it wasn't really my cup of tea.

I guess I would say Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, if not only going by the numbers each game sold. More specifically, sold in America. The amount of recognition they do garner just doesn't do them justice.

I'm not sure how Odin Sphere is selling currently, but I imagine it, too, will become an under appreciated game.

Enjolras
06-06-2007, 04:00 AM
I'd say that Vagrant Story was somewhat overshadowed, seeing as it was a commercial failure, but a critical sucess. An awesome game though.

edczxcvbnm
06-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Legend of Mana. It gets a lot of praise but not by many people. It had a great disjointed story and a unique world that you built. Not to mention the combat/weapon system was fabulous beyond belief. One of the few games were the strategy guide came in hand for years. Eventually people figured out some tricks to it with customization of weapons.

Great game with some of the best 2D gameplay and art the PSX had to offer...ever.

Takara
06-06-2007, 06:48 AM
Legend of Mana. It gets a lot of praise but not by many people. It had a great disjointed story and a unique world that you built. Not to mention the combat/weapon system was fabulous beyond belief. One of the few games were the strategy guide came in hand for years. Eventually people figured out some tricks to it with customization of weapons.

Great game with some of the best 2D gameplay and art the PSX had to offer...ever.

I miss that game so much. I even learned the Opening/Closing song, and it's in Swedish. >_>

Ramza Beoulve
06-06-2007, 07:04 AM

I miss that game so much. I even learned the Opening/Closing song, and it's in Swedish. >_>
I play it every time I can, and I have the OST. I just LOVE "Song of Mana" :love:

Slothy
06-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately, I've played Einhander :cry:

What's wrong with Einhander? That was an amazing shooter. I think I still have a demo of it somewhere.

I'm not sure how Odin Sphere is selling currently, but I imagine it, too, will become an under appreciated game.

It most likely will be an under appreciated and hard to find little gem (glad I got my copy now), but it's not a Square game.

Wolf Kanno
06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Well I have played Einhander (pretty good game I might add) but I'm going for the these games...

Square: Legend of Mana, Vagrant Story, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Threads of Fate, King's Knight (yeah it kinda sucks but for it's time it was amusing...;) )

Enix: Robotrek, E.V.O.

Renmiri
06-06-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm playing Radiata Stories on and off with my kids and it is just such a cute underrated game!

I also want this game bad. Just the soundtrack is to die for!
YouTube - Cross Gate Power-Up Kit 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Miq30ELf7sk)

Dreddz
06-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Tobal No 1. Square didnt develop it though. The fighting in that game is so weird compared to other fighters its definately worth playing.

iS: Internal Section is another very underrated title, while still Japan only, that game was very unique and fun.

Tama2
06-07-2007, 04:09 AM
LoM and VP.

They are also my 2 favs.

Lawr
06-07-2007, 04:15 AM
Einhänder
Legend of Mana

I bet a lot of people haven't heard of Einhänder

It was the first game I played. (In my whole life.) :p

PS:Was Vanguard Bandits a Square game?

Ramza Beoulve
06-07-2007, 05:51 AM
PS:Was Vanguard Bandits a Square game?

No, it was made by Human Entertainment, a now-folded company.

FF_Chick
06-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Super Mario RPG is pretty overshadowed. It was good and they should do a sequel or a remake because it was cool.

KentaRawr!
06-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Seriously, 3-D World Runner was freaking awesome. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Worldrunner)

Oh, and as for Super Mario RPG, I think Paper Mario was meant to be the sequel.

Amundusias
06-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Unlimited Saga. Overshadowed? Yes. Good? Not really.

Avarice-ness
06-15-2007, 07:21 AM
Regardless if alot of people play a game doesn't mean it gets all the attention. Final fantasy over shadows many games due to the constant attention, where as going into that FF7 overshadows due to the attention, even if many others are playing other games.

I'm a crazy Seiken Densetsu Mana Series fan, and really the only time that I get excitement from them is if I ramble about it online. Other then that I may get a "I played one of those when I was like 10" Nothing really that shows like hardcore fanage like the ff games show.

Meaning, I think I'm the only person who spent a good ammount of time trying to figure out a timeline between the now 4 mana games. :razz:
Which I'm still beating myself up for not having the money for Dawn of Mana yet. >=O

Cookie
06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Final Fantasy IX imho.

ReloadPsi
06-15-2007, 07:16 PM
How can you all neglect to mention Rad Racer? 3D glasses and Power Glove *preposition* *integral article* *noun*!!! Let's not forget that it lends a theme song to Stinkoman K 20X6.

Try to guess which words should go in the blue area. The kind of words intended for use are indicated within the asterisks.