PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2007, 09:45 AM
I went to the mall today (OMGNOWAI) and we stopped by EB Games for a little bit. I looked in the bin of rejected games on sale, and I found me a beatiful, glorious gem.
That gem was Mr. Wright!

I've played the first two episodes, and I'm laughing my ass off the whole time XD

I'm especially having fun with shouting things like OBJECTION at 3:44 AM when I can just press the silly button, instead.

Now imma leave and start on Episode Three.

demondude
06-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I loved the pheonix wright games as well:) i hope they don't stop making them:D

Tallulah
06-03-2007, 09:59 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Phoenix Wright, and I can't wait to be able to afford it! :D

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2007, 10:35 AM
I loved the pheonix wright games as well:) i hope they don't stop making them:D

Plural =o

There's more orderly goodness?

demondude
06-03-2007, 11:39 AM
I think they're working on a sequal:)

Jebus
06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
There's Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All, and then Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations comes out in September.

There's also a fourth one in the works.

samboo1
06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah but the 4th doesnt have Phoenix in :eep:

Well it does but he isnt the protagonist like he is in the first 3.

Ive just bought Justice for all (well ordered it when it first came out but only got it today :mad: ) and it's great so far, cant wait for the third.

I looked in the bin of rejected games on sale, and I found me a beatiful, glorious gem.
That gem was Mr. Wright!

It was in the rejected games bin?!

Jowy
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
It's the sale bin, not rejected games. =P FFXII, Starcraft Battle Chest, and God Hand were in there!

Also I'm replaying it with Misfit and we're on the fifth case in the first game, and then going onto Justice For All.

lol@odoroki arc

Goldenboko
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I see through your lies! You got the game because of EoFF Playin's new episodes. Its obvious you where lying and NEEDED the game BADLY because noone would ever put that game in the rejections bin! :mad2:

Anyway Phoenix Wright is freakin' awesome, I have Justice for All, but Ironically I don't have the original.

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Both are true :cry:

It was in there with games that got lots of bad or mixed reviews and underappreciated games.

It must be underappreciated which is silly because this is the greatest game ever to grace mankind...even better than...dare I say it???....FINAL FANTASY :kaocry:

Jowy
06-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Both are true :cry:

It was in there with games that got lots of bad or mixed reviews and underappreciated games.

It must be underappreciated which is silly because this is the greatest game ever to grace mankind...even better than...dare I say it???....FINAL FANTASY :kaocry:

Just WAIT until you meet Manfred von Karma. ^^

DK
06-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Phoenix Wright is the greatest game series I've played in like...years and years. I WANT 3 RIGHT NOW

Jessweeee♪
06-03-2007, 11:19 PM
I just met Sal Monella, I was laughing so hard, my dad, sitting across from me, was like o_O

Ichimonji
06-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Phoenix Wright owns my soul.

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2007, 02:07 AM
After Ciddies, he owns my signature :love:

Azure Chrysanthemum
06-04-2007, 02:24 AM
The 3rd case is fairly troublesome, but the 4th case is amazing.

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2007, 02:39 AM
I'm fairly certain I've just won it...

I'm sooooo glad I don't have epilepsy...this game's gotta be the worst one for that DX

Agent Proto
06-04-2007, 03:01 AM
aha Phoenix Wright! As the unofficial Phoenix Wright fanboy of this here forums, I have to say about time that you discovered the greatness that is Phoenix Wright! It is a game that is made of win and gold. It is pure love. Heh, yes. My plan to spread Phoenix Wright is a success. :love:

Goldenboko
06-04-2007, 03:04 AM
aha Phoenix Wright! As the unofficial Phoenix Wright fanboy of this here forums, I have to say about time that you discovered the greatness that is Phoenix Wright! It is a game that is made of win and gold. It is pure love. Heh, yes. My plan to spread Phoenix Wright is a success. :love:

DEAR GOD! First you infected me, then I infected Jessweee, WHATS GOING ON!?!?!?!

Agent Proto
06-04-2007, 03:08 AM
So are you saying that this is MY fault?!

Goldenboko
06-04-2007, 03:15 AM

Yes.

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2007, 03:32 AM

I'd take it as a compliment. You are doing the good deed of spreading the joy and wonder of His Aceness.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-04-2007, 04:09 AM
Just WAIT until you meet Manfred von Karma. ^^

Heh. Hahah. HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA! :D

JKTrix
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
The 5th game is being made right now in Japan. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3159746)

The 3rd game will be released in Japan a month before the US version. Like the last 2 Ace Attorney JP re-releases it will have the English Language option with it as well. I own the US Ace Attorney 1 and the Japanese version of 'Justice for All', which did have the full english text. I might import the 3rd one too.

Too bad Gyakuten Saiban 4 didn't have English, I would have picked that up.

Raistlin
06-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Phoenix Wright is the most overrated game on the DS.

There, I said it.

Jowy
06-04-2007, 06:55 PM

There, I said it.

*slaps*

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2007, 07:41 PM

There, I said it.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT HIS ACENESS?

Raistlin
06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I couldn't even play past the second mission. It's just... bad. Anyone who actually knows anything about the legal system realizes how horrible Phoenix Wright portrays it. The court room scenes are a mockery. You don't form arguments, you just find items as in any boring detective game and shout "Objection" in a court full of disgustingly bad testimony until you find the point where the game, almost arbitrarily, decides there's an actual problem. And then the witness completely changes his testimony though is somehow still considered completely credible and you're screwed again until you find the next arbitrary "mistake."

Goldenboko
06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Games aren't meant to be real, they're meant to be fun, there I said it.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I couldn't even play past the second mission. It's just... bad. Anyone who actually knows anything about the legal system realizes how horrible Phoenix Wright portrays it.

It's. A. Game.

:)

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 01:58 AM
A poorly made game with no redeemable qualities, yes.

Rye
06-05-2007, 02:28 AM
Wesley, stop it. Next thing you'll be insulting Princess Snow Peach, dammit! ;_;

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2007, 03:54 AM
If I thought it would be like real court, I wouldn't have bought it, silly.

I just finished episode four. Game credits make me so emotional ;.;

That's the one complaint I have. This, like so many other DS games, is so short. I've just got one last episode to go ;.;

Agent Proto
06-05-2007, 04:10 AM
The game was not meant to portray the real American Legal System. It was developed in Japan, and based it off the legal system there. The game was meant to be fun and not taken seriously.

Anyway, the first two cases are extremely easy and cheesy. But it gets a bit harder in the later cases.

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 04:52 AM
The game was not meant to portray the real American Legal System. It was developed in Japan, and based it off the legal system there.

You don't form arguments, you just find items as in any boring detective game and shout "Objection" in a court full of disgustingly bad testimony until you find the point where the game, almost arbitrarily, decides there's an actual problem. And then the witness completely changes his testimony though is somehow still considered completely credible and you're screwed again until you find the next arbitrary "mistake."

I doubt that's the legal system in Japan.

The game was meant to be fun and not taken seriously.

Anyway, the first two cases are extremely easy and cheesy. But it gets a bit harder in the later cases.

Harder as in some item might be stashed in a hard-to-see compartment or a key witness is in a secret room, or harder in that the moment you're supposed to "Object" is even more completely arbitrary and baseless? You don't even have to know why you're objecting. You just object and the game makes most of the argument for you.

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2007, 05:18 AM
Curse you, Raistlin, for souring the mood of my thread dedicated to His Aceness.

I'm just a teensy bit into part five now, and it's...different...I liked the opening scene a lot n.n

Did I mention how much I like the music here? Very dramatic n.n

Ishin Ookami
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
The game was not meant to portray the real American Legal System. It was developed in Japan, and based it off the legal system there.

You don't form arguments, you just find items as in any boring detective game and shout "Objection" in a court full of disgustingly bad testimony until you find the point where the game, almost arbitrarily, decides there's an actual problem. And then the witness completely changes his testimony though is somehow still considered completely credible and you're screwed again until you find the next arbitrary "mistake."

I doubt that's the legal system in Japan.

The game was meant to be fun and not taken seriously.

Harder as in some item might be stashed in a hard-to-see compartment or a key witness is in a secret room, or harder in that the moment you're supposed to "Object" is even more completely arbitrary and baseless? You don't even have to know why you're objecting. You just object and the game makes most of the argument for you.

The fun in the phoenix wright titles is picking apart the testimony of the witness, comparing it with the evidence and facts that you have, and busting up their lies with the facts. There is a logic to the proceedings, even if the judge himself is an idiot. You just need to do something called thinking in order to figure out the right moment, and the right evidence to present, or not present in some instances, in order to make the case go your way.

But yah, the games rock and I can't wait for the third.

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM
The fun in the phoenix wright titles is picking apart the testimony of the witness

You don't "pick apart" more as pick the correct time to "object."

comparing it with the evidence and facts that you have

Which is usually irrelevent.

and busting up their lies with the facts.

Which then does nothing in most cases.

bipper
06-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Well it is a good thing the Magic in Final Fantasy portrays that of reality, otherwise that would have been a silly, silly franchise.

Ishin Ookami
06-05-2007, 06:37 PM
The fun in the phoenix wright titles is picking apart the testimony of the witness

You don't "pick apart" more as pick the correct time to "object."

comparing it with the evidence and facts that you have

Which is usually irrelevent.

and busting up their lies with the facts.

Which then does nothing in most cases.

A: You try to pick the right time to object, which is likely why you don't enjoy it as that is pretty much missing the point.

B: how is the evidence irrelevant?

C: Id hardly call winning the case and solving the mysteries at hand "doing nothing"

You obviously don't like them, don't get them, don't want to try to get them. You remind me of a FF fanboy poo pooing Nippon Ichi titles for not being all cinematic. Or a Advent Children fanboy declaring Spirits Within to be the worst cinematic endeavor since Plan 9 from outer space. you don't like em, fine. But make a better argument then that plz.

samboo1
06-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Well it is a good thing the Magic in Final Fantasy portrays that of reality, otherwise that would have been a silly, silly franchise.

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM

My main point is not that it is unrealistic (though the "legal system" in it is disgusting). My point is that it involves the game being poorly made and overly simplistic and dumbed-down.

C: Id hardly call winning the case and solving the mysteries at hand "doing nothing"

Oh, that happens eventually. But the first few rounds the witness just completely changes the story to match the new evidence, yet remains completely reliable and it's portrayed as yet again another hopeless situation until... wait! you object just at the right time or pick the correct piece of evidence, and the game makes the argument for you.

You remind me of a FF fanboy poo pooing Nippon Ichi titles for not being all cinematic. Or a Advent Children fanboy declaring Spirits Within to be the worst cinematic endeavor since Plan 9 from outer space.

Ad hominem. I can do it too! Let's see: you remind me of a rabid Sephiroth fanboy who can't bear to see his dear gray-haired lover besmirched in any way. That actually seems to relate to this, though I just wanted to say "besmirched."

you don't like em, fine. But make a better argument then that plz.

So wait... you don't require any reason to like it, but I have to have an argument to dislike it? Well I do, as shown above, and it is a rather reasoned, coherent argument. I never said anything about people who like the game, merely simply posted my thoughts on the game, though you seem rather defensive about it.

Ishin Ookami
06-05-2007, 08:06 PM
dude, your complaining about realism in video games. That pretty much brands you a hater. You don't like the story, don't like the controls, setup, length, graphics, sound, ect. Hey, thats groovy. welcome to your opinion. But complaining about lack of realism... thats just petty. It's kinda obvious your just itching for an argument. I'd suggest anyone just ignoring your complaints until they get a bit more well thought out and less banal, lest a flame war erupt and this thread die.

Goldenboko
06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
FOR THE NINE MILLIONTH TIME!

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2007, 08:26 PM

COURT IS BORING! His Aceness makes it fun n.n

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 08:26 PM
You people need to learn to read.

My main point is not that it is unrealistic... *lists rest of argument*

I'd suggest anyone just ignoring your complaints until they get a bit more well thought out and less banal, lest a flame war erupt and this thread die.

My arguments seem much more well thought-out than your responses. Especially since you didn't even respond to my points outside of ad hominem attacks.

demondude
06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm going to contribute to this thread by saying...

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I suggest that someone close this thread. It's reminding me of the FFVII-X-2 sections DX
They always spoil my good threads of happy happy joy joy :P

demondude
06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Objection! (http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=1990608)

Ouch!
06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Ad hominem. I can do it too!
You made my day.

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I suggest that someone close this thread. It's reminding me of the FFVII-X-2 sections DX

Disagreement is such a horrible thing. We shouldn't even have discussion forums; just fanboy praise forums!

You made my day.

*bows*

Jessweeee♪
06-05-2007, 09:47 PM

Disagreement is such a horrible thing. We shouldn't even have discussion forums; just fanboy praise forums!

You made my day.

*bows*

LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOOOOOOU LALALALALALALALALA

Ishin Ookami
06-05-2007, 11:15 PM
HOLD IT!

Members of the jury, I hereby move that we utterly ignore any further flame bait on this thread, and move on to actually discussing that makes the series so good, and it's flaws. For act three I'd like to see capcom can the americana BS, in the sense that in Justice for All they were still trying to shovel the BS that the game is taking place in LA down the kids of america's impressionable youth. I smell jack thompsons hand in this vile and pointless act of censorship, and I say we move that capcom finally gets real and puts the setting back in tokyo. After all, I can't remember when the hell LA had a circus during a white christmas. Or how bout them shinto temples being a two hour train ride from Phoenix's downtown LA office? Right convenient how that works aint it. :P

Jebus
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``.................`\

Raistlin
06-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Members of the jury, I hereby move that we utterly ignore any further flame bait on this thread, and move on to actually discussing that makes the series so good, and it's flaws.
My comments aren't pointing out flaws... why? Because you say so? Is any disagreement with you considered "flame bait"?

I've pointed out what I consider flaws: half the game being a dumbed-down detective game, the other half being a dumbed-down court room scene where you just "object!" at almost arbitrarily appropriate times or pick a correct item and the game makes the argument for you. I have yet to see any rational responses to those, and have only been met with ad hominem personal attacks, and then I'VE been called the "flame baiter." Uh huh.

Agent Proto
06-06-2007, 12:43 AM
The game's strong points are the characters, the dialog between the characters, and the story. That's why I enjoy the game, because of the witty conversations, and moving story between the characters in the game. The gameplay may be lacking, but the story makes up for that.

Goldenboko
06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
The game's strong points are the characters, the dialog between the characters, and the story. That's why I enjoy the game, because of the witty conversations, and moving story between the characters in the game. The gameplay may be lacking, but the story makes up for that.

Proto saves me typing HURRAY!

Ishin Ookami
06-06-2007, 10:26 AM
The games strong points are definitely the characters and writing. Every case manages to get very dramatic, and have some scandalous angle attached to it that you have to unravel and figure out in order to succeed, I just love how the game challenges you in that regard as to do well you need to think and be one step ahead of the preceedings. I'm a mystery novel buff and I used to love text style RPG's before they died off, so I'm glad to see the style return with class in Phoenix Wright.

As for the characters, I love em but I wish capcom didn't make some alterations here and there. For the character of Carla Oldebag (not sure of the spelling there) she's funny cuz she's just a raving fangirl thats only oh, a billion years old. Trust me, THATS scary. Yet capcom watered her down making more of a senile old woman in the english version cuz the kids likely wouldn't get the jokes.

But still, the game manages still manages to shine and have loads of charm, I just wish the localization team would cease watering down the dialogue, story, and setting.

JKTrix
06-06-2007, 12:36 PM
It's hard to call it a 'game', because there isn't very much to distinguish it from a normal Visual Novel. Perhaps it is too dumbed down, but this was a GBA game. Accessible for the kids.

Ace Attorney's 'Gameplay' is basically a puzzle game. The Detective sequences are where you look for the puzzle pieces, and the court sequences are where you figure out where to put the puzzle pieces. Most of the time you have to keep going back and forward to get more puzzle pieces until it's complete.

Then they build a story and dialogue around those puzzle pieces, and we have a game. Despite the puzzle pieces you have as evidence, your prosecutor will somehow find a way to cast doubt on it until you put it all together. It did get kind of annoying for me at first how you would find a supposedly definite piece of evidence, and they turn it against you.

However the Japanese game is called "Gyakuten Saiban", which means "Turnabout Trial". I think the English names of the cases actually use "Turnabout" in most of the titles. It wouldn't be much of a Turnabout if you're not in some kind of disadvantageous situation in the first place.

This whole 'Turnabout' thing is also a staple of Shonen manga/anime. DBZ, Naruto, Kenshin, Death Note, etc... they always seem to get beat up or seem to be losing, then they 'Turnabout' and win. Adds drama that's easy to understand for the younger folks.

It's not rocket science, and it's not meant to be. I can understand if one is looking for more, but this is the wrong place to look. The first 3 games are all GBA ports. Hopefully by time we get to the 4th game, built for the DS, it will be more fulfilling.

Jessweeee♪
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I've been taking my time with this last episode. I don't want the game to end :(

Odaisé Gaelach
06-06-2007, 06:58 PM
However the Japanese game is called "Gyakuten Saiban", which means "Turnabout Trial". I think the English names of the cases actually use "Turnabout" in most of the titles. It wouldn't be much of a Turnabout if you're not in some kind of disadvantageous situation in the first place.

Hence the main character's name: Phoenix.

EDIT: Remember another famous defense attorney with a bird's name? Atticus Finch? ;)

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2007, 03:23 AM
I just beat it :kaocry2: