PDA

View Full Version : Re: Surnames...

SuperMillionaire
06-04-2007, 02:58 AM
I remember when I kept rejecting last names given to me by all of you. For the American version of the game ONLY, I have decided their nationalities, as if they were living on Earth rather than a parallel universe. Sora/Roxas, Riku, and Kairi/Namine are Lebanese-Americans. Hayner, Pence, and Olette are Caucasian.

So far, here's what I've come up with:

Sora Abraham
Kairi Shapira
Riku Leila

How do you like it?

Tavrobel
06-04-2007, 03:04 AM
I am still adamant that their names are:

Sora Sora
Riku Wristcut
Kairi Pucelle
Roxas only uses one name because he's a pimp like that.
Naminé uses the surname "Little Miss Ownage of you, I haxxed j00 m3mories!!111eleven!1one."

Dynast-Kid
06-04-2007, 03:22 AM
I remember when I kept rejecting last names given to me by all of you. For the American version of the game ONLY, I have decided their nationalities, as if they were living on Earth rather than a parallel universe. Sora/Roxas, Riku, and Kairi/Namine are Lebanese-Americans. Hayner, Pence, and Olette are Caucasian.

Sora Abraham
Kairi Shapira
Riku Leila

How do you like it?

So Sora, Riku, and Roxas all just happen to be Lebanese-Americans? Seems very unlikely to me...

And Leila is my niece's name (although it's spelled differently). I think you should change it to something that's more exotic and less first-nameish.

And I also think Caucasian isn't a specific enough description. Polish, Danish, Italian, Albanian etc. would be much more fitting to describe their ethnicities, and thus easer to come up with a last name...

Just don't name give Pence, Hayner, and Oletter names like "Goodheart", "Loveheart" or "Belevolentheart" etc. That would be hideously horrible.

Ouch!
06-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Here we go again.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Doesn't their names means like sky (sora), land/shore (riku) and separation (kairi)? Or at least they are possible meanings for their names.

Anyways, as in the words of Ouch!:

Here we go again.

EDIT: Maybe they want to be like Cher and Madonna and be known only by their first names?

SuperMillionaire
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM

Sora Abraham
Kairi Shapira
Riku Leila

How do you like it?

So Sora, Riku, and Roxas all just happen to be Lebanese-Americans? Seems very unlikely to me...

And Leila is my niece's name (although it's spelled differently). I think you should change it to something that's more exotic and less first-nameish.

And I also think Caucasian isn't a specific enough description. Polish, Danish, Italian, Albanian etc. would be much more fitting to describe their ethnicities, and thus easer to come up with a last name...

Just don't name give Pence, Hayner, and Oletter names like "Goodheart", "Loveheart" or "Belevolentheart" etc. That would be hideously horrible.

LOL.

I've heard of a last name called Lovejoy, but that would certainly be inappropriate here. Do you like Sora and Kairi's last names? I figured that although those names are Japanese in origin, they also sounded rather Middle Eastern to me, especially Kairi; a similar given name popular in the Middle East is Kaira.

And perhaps Hayner, Pence, and Olette are either British, Irish, Australian, or New Zealander.

Oooh, and the Destiny Islands will be miniscule islands off the coast of the big island of Hawaii, and perhaps Twilight Town could be located in California...

Ouch!
06-04-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm going to try and be mildly helpful this time around and make a suggestion. The name Riku can be either Japanese or Finnish in origin. Neither Sora nor Kairi have any significant connections to any ethnicity besides Japanese.

That aside, I still stand by my previous belief (and that of many others). Trying to mix names with surnames of completely different origins ends up sounding ridiculous. I don't know what's so hard to understand or accept about that. Whether or not you're writing fan fiction based on the North American or Japanese release is entirely irrelevent. The names of the characters did not change in the translations except for slight romanization. I mean, had they changed Sora's name to Steve, Kairi's to Karen, and Riku's to Rick, then you'd have a good argument in your favor.

This is not the case, however, and Sora Abraham is going to sound terrible no matter the context.

SuperMillionaire
06-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm basing the fan fiction on the AMERICAN version of the game. I understand the Japanese version will need Japanese last names, which will probably be translated by pronunciation (i.e. Cloud Strife = Kuraudo Sutoraifu or Tifa Lockhart = Tifa Rokkuhato).

Ouch!
06-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Edit: You know what? Forget it. Arguing this point is futile anyway.

Cookie
06-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Sora the Explorer imo.

Psychotic
06-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Sora the Explorer imo.This post just topped anything anybody else has, and probably will, come up with. :laugh:

SuperMillionaire
06-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Oh, by the way, although Sora and Kairi are Japanese in origin, the name Kailani means "sea and sky" in Hawaiian. As I said, the Destiny Islands will be part of Hawaii in my fan fiction.

Fonzie
06-05-2007, 01:43 AM
Who made you the official last name maker?

Rostum
06-05-2007, 02:49 AM
I'm basing the fan fiction on the AMERICAN version of the game. I

Whether or not you're writing fan fiction based on the North American or Japanese release is entirely irrelevent.

---

Who made you the official last name maker?

Word. :cool:

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Oh, by the way, although Sora and Kairi are Japanese in origin, the name Kailani means "sea and sky" in Hawaiian. As I said, the Destiny Islands will be part of Hawaii in my fan fiction.

That's simply coincidental. But it is your fanfic, so do as you like. *shrugs*

Also, what the heck is up with distinguishing between the Japanese and American releases of the game? I mean seriously, the only difference is that the American version is a translation (and probably slightly localized) version of the Japanese version. So how can you draw such a distinction when there is only a very slight one to begin with? I guess I am just repeating what Ouch! said, which is a good point. If they had given Sora et al, different names then I can see the point of drawing the distinction, but this is not like the early localization of anime where they totally massacre the original work and give the characters more English sounding names.

Fynn
06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Could you at least give a reason, why you persist on specifying the worlds and names of the characters to real places/cultures? I mean, what is the point in this? As stated NUMEROUS times before, even if you base your fanfic of the american version, the names remain Japanese... Now all this just sounds... stupid. I mean REALLY stupid! Dude, you beter listen to all these guys or you'll regret posting that fanfic... Seriously, for your own good... (I mean - Riku Leila!? WTF!?)
EDIT: Unless you want to make a spoof of it. Only then would it make sense.

SuperMillionaire
06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Nobody likes me... :(

f f freak
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Nobody likes me... :( And the names I make are stupid. I hate life. Suicide here I come.

I agree with your statement. I also agree with what everyone else said about the names being silly. Riku Leila. I mean Riku Leila. Leila. I think you get my point.

Ouch!
06-07-2007, 07:12 PM
That's not it. I just think your refusal to accept that the differences between the North American and Japanese releases are insignificant frustrates almost everyone beyond belief. Really, go with Japanese surnames. It might actually sound authentic that way.

You know what? Maybe you shouldn't even bother with last names. It's really not that hard to go through a story without using surnames for any of the characters.

Fynn
06-07-2007, 09:36 PM
That's not it. I just think your refusal to accept that the differences between the North American and Japanese releases are insignificant frustrates almost everyone beyond belief. Really, go with Japanese surnames. It might actually sound authentic that way.

You know what? Maybe you shouldn't even bother with last names. It's really not that hard to go through a story without using surnames for any of the characters.

Quoted for truth.

It's not that everybody hates you - you just ask for advice and don't want to take it even though people just want to help you and make your story better.

SuperMillionaire
06-08-2007, 02:10 AM

Well, it's my personal thing, so maybe I'll use my own stuff, but I'll let you offer suggestions anyway, and see what you come up with.

And you say that the differences between the Japan and United States versions are minimal? I thought that there were content edits in the American version...

Ouch!
06-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Well, it's my personal thing, so maybe I'll use my own stuff, but I'll let you offer suggestions anyway, and see what you come up with.

And you say that the differences between the Japan and United States versions are minimal? I thought that there were content edits in the American version...
You're right. It is your personal thing. However, this is the second time you've approached the EoFF community with this question. You've received the same answer twice. You've chosen to ignore said answer.

You have every right to ignore everyone else in this thread. If you plan to do this, however, I suggest you shut the hell up and move on. It's your fanfiction. Do as you will with it. There's no reason to keep perpetuating an argument if you're not willing to listen to any reasonable debate.

As far as content edits, they added stuff to the North American release. I've never heard about anything being removed. I can't imagine that there's anything that might be considered "inappropriate" for the North American audience. It's a freaking Disney game. None of that stuff would be in there in the first place. Your point is moot.

Tavrobel
06-08-2007, 04:46 AM
As far as content edits, they added stuff to the North American release. I've never heard about anything being removed. I can't imagine that there's anything that might be considered "inappropriate" for the North American audience. It's a freaking Disney game. None of that stuff would be in there in the first place. Your point is moot.

Xigbar fight: Sniper vision + crosshairs removed, replaces with a triangle (which was pink in color). Restored to sniper vision in FM+ in both fights, Story and Data.

Pirates: they use crossbows instead of rifles, but the audio effect of gunshots was not changed.

Several scenes depicting blood were removed. They were either changed to smoke (Hydra boss fight), or removed entirely. Axel's suicide scene is shorter and no longer shows him igniting himself on fire.

However, I agree that if someone is going to post a topic (twice, no less), not listen to anyone, yet constantly insist of "do it the right way" clearly has already decided, and should simply trust his own judgment. Simple as that.

Ouch!
06-08-2007, 04:50 AM

Xigbar fight: Sniper vision + crosshairs removed, replaces with a triangle (which was pink in color). Restored to sniper vision in FM+ in both fights, Story and Data.

Pirates: they use crossbows instead of rifles, but the audio effect of gunshots was not changed.

Several scenes depicting blood were removed. They were either changed to smoke (Hydra boss fight), or removed entirely. Axel's suicide scene is shorter and no longer shows him igniting himself on fire.
Ah, yeah, I forgot about the first two points. Didn't know 'bout the whole blood/violence thing. Anyway, those aren't the kind of content changes that would in any way justify changing names.

StarlightAngel
06-09-2007, 12:34 AM

Then don't ask for help and totally ignore those who are trying to help. It's always nice to pay attention to others, especially when they're pointing out something that seems odd about your reasoning, such as mixing Japanese and not-Japanese names together, therefore making names that are just silly.

If you want people to take you seriously, use Japanese names, or no last name at all. Also, stop coming up with weak arguments that don't really explain crap about your reasoning.

SuperMillionaire
06-12-2007, 01:24 AM
These names aren't official, I am putting this in another non-canonical story that is loosely based on but not related to the actual story. Perhaps, I WILL use Japanese last names for the ORIGINAL story (one that Square-Enix might possibly recognize), but in the non-canonical crossover that I am working on, I will use other last names. (Or maybe I will create clones, who knows? One Japanese set and one American set, for two versions of the same character.) Keep in mind, this story is NON-CANONICAL. It is loosely related to but is not tied-in with the actual story.

I got the idea from the Street Fighter cartoon series. They were given first and last names that Capcom does not officially recognize (ex.: Ryu Hoshi, William Guile). The story of the cartoon series was a loose combination of the live-action movie and the games.

Fynn
06-12-2007, 06:28 AM
I got the idea from the Street Fighter cartoon series. They were given first and last names that Capcom does not officially recognize (ex.: Ryu Hoshi, William Guile). The story of the cartoon series was a loose combination of the live-action movie and the games.
Take a look at your own example. Both the names and the surnames are of the same origin. Can't you see it's the only way to make it sound right?

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Who're you?

Firo Volondé
06-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Who're you?

Fynn
06-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Who're you?

I am who I am... Why do you ask?

StarlightAngel
06-12-2007, 11:43 PM
These names aren't official, I am putting this in another non-canonical story that is loosely based on but not related to the actual story. Perhaps, I WILL use Japanese last names for the ORIGINAL story (one that Square-Enix might possibly recognize)

Good luck with that.

The first and last names make sense in that one. Because, you know, they kept the origin like Flynn said. They don't make sense in yours.

Seriously, I don't know why you keep with this topic. You're just fighting a loosing battle. So you want to have names that don't make sense for your fanfic? Fine. Have fun with that. To me, it sounds like you have it all figured out already, and don't need any help with names.

Though, personally, even when writing non-canon stuff like fanfics, it's usually a good idea to write it to the best of your ability, keeping with the trends so that it could almost be considered canon, it's so well written. Even if it's a crossover. 'Cause those ones are the most interesting ones to read.

f f freak
06-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Don't worry people he said that it was non-canonical so that means that he can completely change the story and names like in his FF7 story in the writers corner where he changed Rude's name to Rudy. Obviously non-canonical means changing everything about the story. /sarcasm.

SuperMillionaire
06-17-2007, 02:15 AM
These names aren't official, I am putting this in another non-canonical story that is loosely based on but not related to the actual story. Perhaps, I WILL use Japanese last names for the ORIGINAL story (one that Square-Enix might possibly recognize)

Good luck with that.

The first and last names make sense in that one. Because, you know, they kept the origin like Flynn said. They don't make sense in yours.

Seriously, I don't know why you keep with this topic. You're just fighting a loosing battle. So you want to have names that don't make sense for your fanfic? Fine. Have fun with that. To me, it sounds like you have it all figured out already, and don't need any help with names.

Though, personally, even when writing non-canon stuff like fanfics, it's usually a good idea to write it to the best of your ability, keeping with the trends so that it could almost be considered canon, it's so well written. Even if it's a crossover. 'Cause those ones are the most interesting ones to read.
Hey wait a second, how come in the Yu-Gi-Oh! cartoons, they changed "Mai Kujaku" to "Mai Valentine"? Mai is a Japanese name, isn't it?

StarlightAngel
06-17-2007, 06:58 AM

Good luck with that.

Hey wait a second, how come in the Yu-Gi-Oh! cartoons, they changed "Mai Kujaku" to "Mai Valentine"? Mai is a Japanese name, isn't it?

* Mai, old French for Maia, the Italic goddess of spring, the daughter of Faunus, and wife of Vulcan.
* Mai (Traditional Chinese : 麥), a Chinese surname.
o Mak, the transliteration of the same name pronounced in Cantonese.
* Mai (舞, ?), a female Japanese given name meaning "dance."
* Mai, a Vietnamese given name meaning "golden flower", in reference to the Forsythia blooms that are used during the Lunar New Year as tokens of good luck.

It can be found in more than just Japanese.

SuperMillionaire
06-17-2007, 03:31 PM

Good luck with that.

* Mai, old French for Maia, the Italic goddess of spring, the daughter of Faunus, and wife of Vulcan.
* Mai (Traditional Chinese : 麥), a Chinese surname.
o Mak, the transliteration of the same name pronounced in Cantonese.
* Mai (舞, ?), a female Japanese given name meaning "dance."
* Mai, a Vietnamese given name meaning "golden flower", in reference to the Forsythia blooms that are used during the Lunar New Year as tokens of good luck.

It can be found in more than just Japanese.
Someone else said that Riku can be either Japanese or Finnish in origin. I've also researched...
Kai can be Japanese, Welsh, Scandinavian, Greek, Hindu, Arabic, or Hawaiian in origin. Related given names include Kairi, Kaira, and Kailani.
Sora can be Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Slovenian, or Hindi in origin.

All information was obtained through Wikipedia.

StarlightAngel
06-18-2007, 06:02 AM
Someone else said that Riku can be either Japanese or Finnish in origin. I've also researched...
Kai can be Japanese, Welsh, Scandinavian, Greek, Hindu, Arabic, or Hawaiian in origin. Related given names include Kairi, Kaira, and Kailani.
Sora can be Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Slovenian, or Hindi in origin.

All information was obtained through Wikipedia.

But the actual wanted meanings are Japanese. In other words, Sky, Sea, and Land.

But I'm not even going to argue anymore, because it's obvious you aren't listening to anyone. Again. I don't even know why you make these things anymore.

SuperMillionaire
06-22-2007, 03:07 AM
No, I'm not arguing. Kai means "sea" in both Japanese and Hawaiian.