PDA

View Full Version : Underrated job classes and abilities.

MogThief
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Underrated job classes

In my opinion, Geomancers and Oracles are underrated. You don't hear many people in forums saying how great they are. But if you tweak them a bit, they are pretty good. If you beef up Oracles' MA strength while equipping the sticks, they can actually do more damage than Knights and Lancers. Petrify is a great spell to use and is my favorite spell out of Yin Yang magic. I like to raise my magicians' faith level to 84 so I can get a better chance out of petrifying the enemies. If you give Geomancers Two Swords with the Rune Blades, they'll do pretty good damage with their physical attacks. They can also add status abormalities at a far distance while doing decent damage. My geomancer is doing 532 points of normal physical attack damage and 220 points of normal geomancy damage.

Underrated abilities

Train is very useful ability. You don't have to worry about killing off critically injured enemies when they join your side. I also think Attack Up is underrated. It's great for someone with a gun. MP switch in combination with Move-MP Up will give the enemies a hard time taking you out.

BG-57
06-04-2007, 11:23 PM
I think the Talk Skill abilities other than Invitation tend to be overlooked. But Praise, Threaten, Preach, and Solution are tremendously useful for permenant Faith/Brave raising lowering. Not only for the advatages in physical and spell damage, but making Move-Find and learning Zodiac much easier.

I underestimated the usefulness of Draw Out, since the best swords are rare. Now that I know you can duplicate them (or get them by catching in Deep Dungeon if you want to play fair) I'm going to use them a lot more.

I found another use for Move-MP Up: when Ramza is hitting enemy Summoners with Zodiac, so they can crystalize and get picked up by an ally. He can cast Zodiac once, then walk around and get enough MP to eventually recast without using Ethers.

Agreed on the usefulness on MP Switch, especially with jobs that don't use MP (like Math Skills).

Suiko Jin
06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I agree on the Geomancer thing. I always have one person with all the Geomancer attacks as a sub class. I think right now I have a ninja with a Geomancer skills and it is just works great for me.

MogThief
06-05-2007, 10:46 PM
The Ninja with Geomancy is pretty interesting; I'll check it out sometime. I usually have a Ninja with Item.

Yeah, the Mediator abilities to tend to be overlooked. I like that one attack(I forgot the name) where the enemies fall asleep. Threaten is good for finding rare items in the Deep Dungeon. What about Archers? I think they're pretty good on higher heights like the fishing dock at Poeskas Lake coming from Limberry Castle. It's fun attacking enemies below with Archers and Mustadio from that fishing dock. I also like using Archers at Grog Hill coming from Doguola Pass and some of the battlefields at the Deep Dungeon. A good idea would be to give Archers the Secret Clothes and Concentrate, so they'll do more damage with their bows and won't ever miss.

Lynx
06-05-2007, 10:50 PM
id say mediator. has the ability to use guns makeing it useful. also its ability to lower faith and brave can be useful. turn someone into a chicken is jsut great :D .

Maddness66
06-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Not once, in the history of FFT have I seen a single person that had anything GOOD to say about bards. IMO, they are way better than Dancers. Why waste time and a character spot to reduce enemy stats/status/etc? NPC's are stupid and use bad strategy, not to mention, some are immune to said changes. Instead, why don't you just buff your uberness? With a bard, that shall be so, exponentially. Give him short charge, to boot=gg 1337. This is all IMO. I believe Bards are great, that being said, I don't usually use them, unless I have a mime in the party (whom is another underrated class, the most)

VeloZer0
07-09-2007, 10:37 PM
I heard Draw Out briefly mentioned, and although most people don't look down on it I don't think most people realize how broken it is. Because it is strictly based on MA, giving it to a Wizard with all +MA items is incredibly unbalanced.

On that note, any skill that has an exponential multiplier is fairly easily abused. Though not commonly known, Rafa's attacks do have such and exponential modifier. At 20 MA Sky Demon hits for 400 base, at 30 MA, 750 damage. Randomness still limits it from being and amazing skill, but it does scale exceedingly well in terms of damage.

Ziekfried
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I think Lancer's jump skill just isn't appreciated. With a properly trained and equiped character, for speed of course, you can hit enemies almost anywhere with massive damage.

Basic123s
07-17-2007, 10:05 PM
Geomancy. I can't believe it's so underrated.

Being able to attack from a distance WITHOUT using MP and the chance of a status effect kicking in is great.

feioncastor
08-28-2007, 03:50 AM
Geomancy. I can't believe it's so underrated.

Being able to attack from a distance WITHOUT using MP and the chance of a status effect kicking in is great.

The only problem is that my Ramza as a monk can use "Wave Fist" or "Earth Slash" from a distance and he'll do about 500-600 damage, whereas using "Hell Ivy" or "Local Quake" is going to do about 30-40 damage, and it rarely inflicts the accompanying status ailment.

Counter Flood is kinda neat, but the Reaction Ability slot is better used for something else, like Counter. Or Auto Potion.

I only recently realized the value of Bard Songs. When you have 5 allies on the field, and you use "Cheer Song", you're likely to have it successfully raise the speed of at least a few people. If you let your Bard continue singing for a few turns, you notice the difference rather quick when the enemy units aren't really getting turns anymore.

MogThief
09-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Probably the most underrated job classes in the game are the Heaven and Hell Knight. I used to think Rafa and Malak weren't that great and wouldn't use them much, but once you get used to them and equip them with the right abilties and items, they are great. I like to give Malak the Earth Clothes, Flash Hat, Magic Gauntlet, and Short Charge and lower his faith to exactly 3. He does about 300+ points of damage with Sky Demon Back at 14MA. Against Juravi and Panthers, it will destroy them in one hit. Furthermore, with the Earth Clothes, he'll absorb Sky Demon Back if the enemy tries to move next to him.

I like give Rafa White Magic and Short Charge, so I can take out individual enemies with Holy, and I'll use her Truth magic attacks against enemies with weaknesses. They key with both of their magic attacks is to target a panel where the effect area will be less, such as the edge of a map or a ditch, like the ones in the Deep Dungeon. Some panels that you target will give you only one effect area, which means the attacks will hit that enemy every single time.

Icarus Beoulve
09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
who knows the exact location of the chaos blade in the deep dungeon cause I cant find it anywhere

BG-57
09-16-2007, 12:18 AM
It's in the last level of Deep dungeon, END. Look on the tallest plateau, in the four corners are the treasures. Use Move-Find with someone with a very low Brave.

Cerealki11er666
10-01-2007, 04:15 PM
The Oracle is definitly the most underrated job class in Tactics. My party was severly undertrained and I got in the first set battle in Chapter 4 when you have to face a group of Nanten troups with a pair of real nasty Lancers. Everyone in my party died except for my Oracle who had Teleport as his move skill and Time Magic as his secondary ability. He had haste on himself and then went on to defeat every enemy on the map. Nobody could get close enough to hit him and when they did he would just heal using Life Absorb. Plus a Gokuu Rod as a weapon is a huge help and he was able to inflict around 100 damage every time he attacked. Pure devastation.