PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Breine
06-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Finally, the remake of the original Tomb Raider game is here. It looks pretty remarkable and so far the reviews are quite favourable. I'm totally going to go get it sometime this week when I have the time, but what about you? What do you think of this new Tomb Raider game? Discuss.

edczxcvbnm
06-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Does it have the nude code? If they didn't at least implement that then the game is completely worthless.

Breine
06-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Does it have the nude code? If they didn't at least implement that then the game is completely worthless.

Haha! xD No they didn't put that on in there. It would probably boost the sale quite a bit, though.

licence
06-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Is it a remake? I might pick it up then, loved the original game.

Madame Adequate
06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Is it a remake? I might pick it up then, loved the original game.

Aye, it is a remake.

Oh man, back in the days when Tomb Raider was revolutionary... when the T-Rex was the most "JESUS CHRIST IT'S A T-REX GET IN DA CHOPPER" thing ever... might pick this up at some point :p

Dreddz
06-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Tomb Raider is a horrible franchise which should never of taken off. It was full of gimmicky touches which were never great to begin with.

Madame Adequate
06-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Tomb Raider is a horrible franchise which should never of taken off. It was full of gimmicky touches which were never great to begin with.

Uh no actually, the first two were pretty great.

Dreddz
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
The series actually steadily improved until they hit rock bottom with that first PS2 Tomb Raider outing ( forget the name ). Legends seemed like an improvement, good thing that Anniversary's gameplay is based on that game. Still, slo mo and twin pistols is so cliched among games and movies that its really boring now.

Ill give Anniversary credit for looking amazing, not just graphically but just how the game is presented. Top stuff.

licence
06-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Legends really was great, I wish it was longer.

Maxico
06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Tomb Raider should have kicked off more than it did, rather than petering out after two outings.

As for gimmicks, it was pretty much a 3D Prince of Persia and I can't really remember it trying to do much more than that.

Old Manus
06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Nothing beats Tomb Raider III in terms of awesomness. It was so hard it became fun.

Dreddz
06-05-2007, 11:30 PM
As for gimmicks, it was pretty much a 3D Prince of Persia and I can't really remember it trying to do much more than that.

The gimmicks came from being able to have tons and tons of weapons, duel wield. Everything. But they forgot to refine the gameplay so it was just you pointing in a general direction and blasting the hell out of everything. And as for the 3D Prince of Persia thing going on, I think they were only trying to have that style of gameplay. But it was still you only jumping platform to platform endlessly, these platforms werent designed to be in any interesting location to make them fun to get to, they were nearly always dead ahead.

Yamaneko
06-06-2007, 12:56 AM
I have an account on GameTap so I'm downloading it right now.

Maxico
06-06-2007, 09:26 AM
The gimmicks came from being able to have tons and tons of weapons, duel wield. Everything. But they forgot to refine the gameplay so it was just you pointing in a general direction and blasting the hell out of everything. And as for the 3D Prince of Persia thing going on, I think they were only trying to have that style of gameplay. But it was still you only jumping platform to platform endlessly, these platforms werent designed to be in any interesting location to make them fun to get to, they were nearly always dead ahead.

:confused:

The first game had like 4 different weapons. The controls we're a little unrefined, but it was the one of the first really 3D games so that's a little understandable, there really weren't that many enemies at all in the first game and I always though one of the games strongpoints was it's level design.

To each his own I guess, but all of your problems with the game sound wrong. Did you play the first game or one of the terrible sequals?

LunarWeaver
06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I am about halfway through this game now, though stuck in a place.

It's both similar to Legend and yet not at the same time. It may look and control the same, but the pacing is reversed. Legend guided you through the environment softly, ensuring you never really got stuck or had trouble with any puzzles, then threw lots of action bits in between. Anniversary pits you against large and formidable environments with just a few fights here and there but nothing serious.

I like both approaches, although Legend suits my personal taste better. I don't mind puzzles, but to be honest I don't like them to be too hard. Call me unintelligent or impatient or whatever you wish, but I like to look at a puzzle, figure it out, acrobatically flip through it, and leave it behind for good, not around around trying to figure out if the water should be raised two levels or three so I can push the block onto the banana peel and open the statue's mouth.

That said, "hard" is not the correct word, as none of the puzzles in Anniversary have really been omg-I'm-stuck-wtf tough or anything. They're all decently easy, and they're well thought-out so they come off as the fun variety and not the "walk into a room and groan at what you see" kind. They're just larger and take more time than Legend's very linear design.

I like the Adrenaline Dodge, and the button-pressing cinematics spawned from games like Shenmue and made popular by RE4 are also back. They're still really easy and damn near impossible to botch, but cool nonetheless.

So far, the only problem I have with Anniversary is there's little need to use medi-packs to heal yourself. There are frequent checkpoints, and if you die you restart from the last one with full health. So if you ever get hurt, you can simply run to a Checkpoint spot, kill Lara on purpose, and then respawn with full health. It's very easy to exploit.

Nifleheim7
06-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Nothing beats Tomb Raider III in terms of awesomness. It was so hard it became fun.

QFT!!!

I'm a fan of the series and i'm definately gonna buy this but somewhat later...I want to finish the games i'm currently playing and maybe replay the original before i buy it.
I liked the new direction with legend and i think Crystal Dynamics did a great job with the game mechanics and controls.The original was a great game for it's time so i'm sure C.D. has worked wonders on it.
I only hope that is longer than Legend though...(at least the original was)

Levian
06-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Been playing this for the last few days, pretty nice game. The only Tomb Raider game I've enjoyed since TR4 for PS1. My favorite would be Tomb Raider 2, though.

Really liked the St. Francis Folly level with Damocles, Poseidon etc.

LunarWeaver
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM

It fortunately is longer than Legend. I just the beat first stage of Egypt and it took me 7:22, which is about how long it took me to beat the entire Legend game the first time I played it. I'd say without a walkthrough it will take most players 20-25 hours or so their first time.

Nifleheim7
06-25-2007, 08:20 AM
I'd say without a walkthrough it will take most players 20-25 hours or so their first time.

Thats great to hear!:D

Levian
06-25-2007, 03:17 PM
It fortunately is longer than Legend. I just the beat first stage of Egypt and it took me 7:22

Yeah, that level was oh my god long, took me forever to finish it. Currently on the second Egypt level.

LunarWeaver
06-25-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah, that level was oh my god long, took me forever to finish it. Currently on the second Egypt level.

You ain't kiddin', partner. Jump up to the moving floor, then hurry to the moving switch, jump up to the ledge, then blackflip to the perch, then jump to the slide and time it to grab another ledge, then grapple run back and forth between moving spikes, then flip through timed smashing blocks while perching on ledges... Die once and do it all over again :bigsmile:

Nifleheim7
06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Die once and do it all over again :bigsmile:

That was the essence of the first game!:D
I remember i played it after i played TR2 and i was very annoyed that i couldn't save my game wherever i wanted...