PDA

View Full Version : Pronounciation of "Beatrix"/Eyepatch Mystery

Zanthos
06-06-2007, 03:54 AM
There's been a lot of pronounciation topics springing up lately, but I wanted to find out the most common way to say "Beatrix" Here are a few of the pronounciations that I have come up with.

The "trix" I pronounce like "tricks"
-Beee--aahh-trix (I presonally use this one)
- Beee--uhh--trix (the two are similar I know)
-Bayy---aahh-trix
-Bee---uhh---trice (as in tree, and as in ice)
-Bayy----uh---trice

...And that's all that I could come up with, with my dialect. With that established...how do YOU pronouce "Beatrix"? Oddly enough, I find it hard to stay with one pronoucation entirely and tend to swap back and forth between say....bee--uhh-trice and bee--aa--trix. Does this happen to anyone else?

It is also unknown why Beatrix wears a white eye patch that covers her left eye (I think). Well I admit its a sexy look coupled with her stunning brown hair...it doesn't really seem to serve a purpose that I know of. It doesn't seem to be the type of cloth that would conceal a gapping eye wound/glass eye or something of that sort. But instead I find it to be more of a style sort of thing. Perhaps her training could be/was heightened with the use of one eye. She might of been more in turn with her surroundings and could easily adapt to environments and opponents around her (as odd as that sounds). Not to mention she could brag about her talent with using only one eye. Regardless, it definately makes her stand out as a character. Who can remember the last Final Fantasy Character who wore an eyepatch? And I definately doubt there are any other females fitting this criteria.

Finally, I'd like for Beatrix to have a cameo/be a playable character in the upcoming PSP Final Fantasy title : Dissida. Does anyone else agree that she would look absolutely stunning if she was remastered (with next-gen graphics and whatnot)?

darksword12
06-06-2007, 03:58 AM
I always say BEE-uh-trix.

I never noticed that she had one eye covered. It's probably there just to look cool.

I agree it would be pretty awesome to play as Beatrix again.

By the way... could you tell me what this "pronounciation" is that you speak of? I've never heard that word. I wouldn't be surprised if it DIDN'T EXIST!

If you don't understand my insinuation, the word is "pronunciation." I'll type it again: Pronunciation. This type of error miffs me a VERY great deal. I'd appreciate it if you could please take better care with your spelling and grammar.

THE GRAMMAR GESTAPO STRIKES AGAIN!!!!!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Zanthos
06-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Hahaha...good one. I actually had to open up Microsoft Word to obtain the correct spelling...pro...nun..ciaaa...tion....yeah. Pronunciation of Pronunciation? :D Anyways I fixed the topic title.

Actually, I was basing my spelling more on phonetics than anything else. Its similar to the whole poe-tay-toe and poe-tah-toe ordeal. Pro--noun--see--ation or Pro--nun--see--ation. Although the latter is technically correct, people pronouce words different, depending on whatever.

In other news...I just took another glance at Beatrix in my sig (Yes, I am a fan of hers) and if I was in her shoes it seems that I got the placement of her eyepatch wrong. If I entered her shoes and looked straight ahead...the eyepatch would conceal the RIGHT EYE. You know of that eye trick thing where you can't tell which eye of a person if your looking straight at them? Yeah...what I mean is...from our viewpoint it looks like her left eye is covered, but its actually her right eye.

You know I also just thought of another great idea along the lines of Beatrix being handicapped by only having one eye. I think it would be neat if Square-Enix would introduce a character (sword fighter most lieky) that had their right dominant arm cut off or injured...they would had to adapt to fighting with their non-dominant hand...but in time they became very adept with the opposite hand. To be honest, I kinda got this idea from George R.R Martin's "Jaime" but I'm rambling on here...

Xurts
06-06-2007, 05:53 AM
omg darksword12! He spelled a word wrong! If someone's spelling and grammar are not completely flawless it's unacceptable. Speaking of which:

I never noticed that she had one I covered. It's probably there just to look cool.
Oh no! What is that? Is that an error?! You better fix that. Immediately. Seriously though, don't correct people about trivial things like that. You'll just irritate them.

Anyway. I pronounce Beatrix "Bee-trix". I don't know why Beatrix wears an eye patch. Maybe the more important question is why Zidane has a tail, or why moogles have pom-poms on their heads.

Vivisteiner
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
Bee-uh-trix

I agree about Dissidia.

JackNapier
06-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Her sword handling skills probably used to suck big time. Resulting in her stabbing herself in the eye.

scrumpleberry
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
BEE-a-triks

I don't think they thought about it too much when giving her the eyepatch. I think it was just a hairband that grew too big through the drinking of milk and proteing gainage.

darksword12
06-06-2007, 10:04 PM
omg darksword12! He spelled a word wrong! If someone's spelling and grammar are not completely flawless it's unacceptable. Speaking of which:

I never noticed that she had one I covered. It's probably there just to look cool.
Oh no! What is that? Is that an error?! You better fix that. Immediately. Seriously though, don't correct people about trivial things like that. You'll just irritate them.

Anyway. I pronounce Beatrix "Bee-trix". I don't know why Beatrix wears an eye patch. Maybe the more important question is why Zidane has a tail, or why moogles have pom-poms on their heads.

Guess it's a good thing the edit button's there.

Fixed!

A post can always be revised, but if you don't know the rule in the first place, it's even worse.

Cookie
06-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Beer tricks imo.

Lawr
06-07-2007, 03:04 AM
I pronounce it Bee-uh-trix.

Pronounce
Pronunciation

Who can remember the last Final Fantasy Character who wore an eyepatch?

That Pirate from Final Fantasy 1 wears an eyepatch. I think his name starts with a 'B'. And so does RSL (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/rsl.html).

Ouch!
06-07-2007, 05:07 AM
Bikey?

IpwnUthisMuch|------|
06-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Bee as in honey bee inn + uhh as in uhhhhh idk + tricks as in tricks are for kids

Bee-Uhh-Tricks

Beatrix... thats how I say it

scrumpleberry
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
BIKKE!

Yar.

Are they relateds?

Mirage
06-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Hahaha...good one. I actually had to open up Microsoft Word to obtain the correct spelling...pro...nun..ciaaa...tion....yeah. Pronunciation of Pronunciation? :D Anyways I fixed the topic title.

That's why we all love Firefox' built-in spellingchecking feature.

I say it like the first example given in the first post.

Sefie1999AD
06-07-2007, 08:13 PM
I pronounce her name like "Beat-tricks". She's wearing an eye patch because she wants to become a ninja pirate. :p

BlackMage2007
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
BEERTRICKS

daggertrepe
07-02-2007, 02:47 AM
I just say Bee-trix

She lost her eye in a battle with Steiner when he was better.

Takara
07-02-2007, 07:49 PM
Bee-a-triks.

As for the eyepatch, I believe it's to cover and injured and/or missing eye. I see no reason why a warrior would sacrifice the use of a good eye willingly for the sake of fashion.

Xurts
07-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Bee-a-triks.

As for the eyepatch, I believe it's to cover and injured and/or missing eye. I see no reason why a warrior would sacrifice the use of a good eye willingly for the sake of fashion.
I've seen this done many times.

Tallulah
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Did you know that pirates, and other seafarers, used eye patches to accustom their eyes to the dark so they could navigate at night? Though I don't see how that would help dear General Beatrix. :rolleyes2

It's Beer-trix by the way. :p

ReloadPsi
07-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Did you know that pirates, and other seafarers, used eye patches to accustom their eyes to the dark so they could navigate at night? Though I don't see how that would help dear General Beatrix. :rolleyes2

You totally, 100% beat me to it... right down to "I don't see how it would help". It's proven not to be the case due to the fact that she doesn't remove the eye patch during the Mistodons On Your Doorstep scene, which takes place at night.

Old Manus
07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
The topic here is strangely reminiscent of the Belto Maxson thread

No.78
07-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Bee Tricks.

LunarWeaver
07-05-2007, 11:55 PM
It's all about bee-uh-trix. She's just a mixture of Beatrix Kiddo and Elle Driver from Kill Bill after all. Or they're a split of her. You know, whatever.

Deusa
07-06-2007, 12:03 AM
BEE-uh-trix

WOh cares about small spelling mistakes?
you didn't have to be so rude about it earlier dark!

MoonZapdos
07-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Bee-uh-tricks.
I hope it's somewhere close. >.<

Avarice-ness
07-11-2007, 06:27 AM
Just like the common name Beatrice. Said... Bee-ah-Tress.
'cept.. Beatrix. Bee-ah-tricks. Change the ess to icks and you have it.

And yeah she'd look awesome remastered, I always liked her for some reason, never figured out why. :razz:

The Ceej
07-11-2007, 06:49 AM
I didn't know there was more than one way to pronounce it.

BEE tricks.

You know, like Beatrice but with an X. I've never heard or heard of it pronounced any other way.

daggertrepe
07-11-2007, 04:32 PM
It's all about bee-uh-trix. She's just a mixture of Beatrix Kiddo and Elle Driver from Kill Bill after all. Or they're a split of her. You know, whatever.

Final Fantasy IX was made before that movie.

I have a feeling Quentin played too much Final Fantasy IX. :rolleyes2

BTW isn't it true that she is making an apperance in Kingdom Hearts 3? Ahh, beatrix in those graphics =hells ya. Of course, steiner will have to be there also.

cloud21zidane16
07-11-2007, 07:42 PM
BEE-tricks

Northcrest
07-12-2007, 02:25 AM
I use Beee--uhh--trix mainly because that is what I'm comfortable of using alot easier. Yes my grammer isn't good like what someone on this site would know. But this is just how I pronounce it.

Kanshisha
07-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Bee-trix...

Takara
07-12-2007, 03:17 AM

You totally, 100% beat me to it... right down to "I don't see how it would help". It's proven not to be the case due to the fact that she doesn't remove the eye patch during the Mistodons On Your Doorstep scene, which takes place at night.

Even if she did wear the eyepatch to accustom her eyes to the dark or not, the scene taking place at night didn't affect any other characters that fought the Mistodons with her. They all hit as usual.