PDA

View Full Version : Four stages of forums

Flying Mullet
06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.geocities.com/chadmonkey/stages.jpg

What stage do you think EoFF is at? Or has it avoided these "stereotypes" to become something entirely different?

I know at certain points in the past I can point to one of these stages and say, "Yeah, EoFF is just like that right now.", while at other times it's nothing like the stages listed above. In general (and as of right now), I think EoFF is a mix of stage two and three.

Parker
06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Try another image host!

Tallulah
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, Photobucket is best. :)

Or provide a link.

Cookie
06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
The forums are in the "OMGLOL WE JUS DICOVRD 4CHANS YESTRDAY :DDDDDDDD" phase.

Flying Mullet
06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I copied the image source from online, it has nothing to do with my hosting. Let me load it onto my hosting space.

EDIT: Okay, I uploaded it to my hosting space. The image should work now.

bipper
06-06-2007, 07:05 PM
With people like us, this forum will always be special.

Freya
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
I think we're cozy. I just do ya know.

Dynast-Kid
06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
If one, two, and three had a baby, EoFF would be the child.

Bunny
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Phase 1: The Golden Age. This stage is comprised of the first year and a half of a forum's life. On a rare occasion, depending solely on the contents and the member base, this phase will last for upwards of two and a half years. This is where most of the memories and key members are created.

Phase 2: Population. This stage takes place over a half year after Phase 1 ends. The members that join during this period create some memories and befriend a lot of the members from Phase 1 and then suddenly disappear. Their disapperance is brought up from time-to-time by old members (oldbies) who are feeling especially nostaligic.

Phase 3: The Newbie Threat. The beginning of the downward trend of all forums. Very few forums live after this stage. This is the stage in which a new language is born, referred to as '1337 sp34k" it is the dread of all adminstrators and forum staff. Many of the members here do not know the English language and are thoroughly mocked by members of the first two phases.

Phase 4: The Return. Members that left during the first two phases make welcome returns and a lot of the members from phase three are chased away. Sometimes seen as a return of the Golden Age but not quite as good.

Phase 5: The Bonus Stage. Nothing really happens here. It isn't very exciting and not really a good secret. This post kinda sucked, didn't it? You'll see a lot of that in the bonus stage.

We sit pretty in Phase 5.

Christmas
06-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I think it is at the PUBERTY stage when it get curious about a lot of things. :bigsmile:

Jessweeee♪
06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
I think we're special enough not to be sorted into a neat little diagram :spin:

scrumpleberry
06-06-2007, 07:50 PM
I think EoFF is a fabbylicious forum, and I think its a mix of all of them.

People don't really alienate newbies, they just confuse them until a kind person explains the injoke or whatever to them.

Fonzie
06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Door 4 sadly. :(

CimminyCricket
06-06-2007, 08:36 PM
I don't care what door we're at, I like it here.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
FlameCultured Warfare.

Madame Adequate
06-06-2007, 08:59 PM
"Almost like a gold rush to prove who was here first and how it was better in the old days."

I have never seen a more accurate description of this place.

theundeadhero
06-06-2007, 09:13 PM
On Mullets scale we are at 3.5.

Goldenboko
06-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I think we're special enough not to be sorted into a neat little diagram :spin:

Nominus Experse
06-06-2007, 09:31 PM
We seem to be a conglomerate of all those listed. Some members feel superior for one reason or another, whereas others are much more open and welcoming. Some throw status about, while others simply write out nonsensical posts that humor and seem to entertain some.

We're a melting pot.

And I still hate all of you.

Renmiri
06-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Neat! I think Bunny's scale is more accurate and we are at the second golden age here :)

oddler
06-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Door 1 is a lower limit and Door 4 is an upper limit.
Between these limits, a mean can be found by averaging the "time of service" of all active members.
As new members join, the mean will shift toward the upper limit.
Also, as old members leave, the mean will shift toward the upper limit.

Keep in mind, though, that both limits will constantly move up as old members leave and new members join. Eventually, assuming that all old members leave, the new members will become old members.

http://www.kanguhru.com/media/1/20050614-MIchael%20Jackson.jpg

I believe the children are our future.

Anaisa
06-06-2007, 11:00 PM
It's most like 4 out of those. Although a mention needs to be made of the new people that seem to appear out of nowhere an pretend like they've been here for ages to fit in. Once they start pretending they understand the fogey jokes, they really should be banned. An also the uninteresting people that stand out so little, you're barely aware of their existence, yet they complain about other people not making worthwhile interesting posts, an how their making the place go downhill.

rubah
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
3 I think.

Rantz
06-06-2007, 11:22 PM
When compared to the Newgrounds BBS (the only other forum I've been reasonably active in), this place is very welcoming, 1 or 2. I guess everything is relative.

Jess
06-06-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm with Nominus Experse on this one. I can't quite place EoFF into one section, because I think it is a blend of all of those. I think that there are different groups of type of people here and each of those groups have different attitudes towards the fora~ :jess:

Psychotic
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
EoFF was at #4 in 2002 or 2003. It doesn't fit any of those descriptions these days.

Miriel
06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
I agree with Psychotic. It seems like the whole, "omg I registered 3 years before you... remember Ezboard?" thing was more common awhile back. I don't see too much of it these days.

But I think it's all perspective. A person who joined last year and a person who joined 5 years ago are going to see the forums differently.

The "golden age" will generally be the first year that a person joins. That's usually how things work. So the "golden age" isn't a fixed thing, it's different for everyone.

Roto13
06-06-2007, 11:43 PM
"Almost like a gold rush to prove who was here first and how it was better in the old days."

Considering how many olbies are disappearing and complaining that they're not interested here any more, yes.

Miriel
06-06-2007, 11:52 PM

Considering how many olbies are disappearing and complaining that they're not interested here any more, yes.

I disagree.

It used to be where the oldies just post and complain about how things used to be, but now the people who aren't interested in EoFF just sorta go away (which is better, I think). There's a difference between an increased turn around in members (oldies going out, newbies coming in) and complete stagnation which "Maximum Security" stage seems to suggest with new members being repelled and old members just sitting around and being grumpy.

Tavrobel
06-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Stage Three, recently exiting from Stage Two.

theundeadhero
06-07-2007, 01:08 AM
I like the old members being grumpy :(

Bunny
06-07-2007, 01:51 AM
Neat! I think Bunny's scale is more accurate and we are at the second golden age here :)

At least SOMEONE recognized my work. All of my hard work here goes unnoticed. I hate you all.

QQ

theundeadhero
06-07-2007, 01:54 AM

oddler
06-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Best Newbie. ;)

Lawr
06-07-2007, 02:13 AM

It's most like 4 out of those. Although a mention needs to be made of the new people that seem to appear out of nowhere an pretend like they've been here for ages to fit in. Once they start pretending they understand the fogey jokes, they really should be banned. An also the uninteresting people that stand out so little, you're barely aware of their existence, yet they complain about other people not making worthwhile interesting posts, an how their making the place go downhill.

I joined around the stage 2 era. Then roto13 joined.

Shiny
06-07-2007, 02:25 AM
Phase 3, unless you avoid Eyes on Each Other then Phase 2.