PDA

View Full Version : Puncture Me

Nominus Experse
06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Do you donate blood?

If so, why? If not, why? How many times have you donated? What's your blood type?

Etc...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
y

Quindiana Jones
06-06-2007, 09:47 PM
I will when I can.

oddler
06-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I don't.

I have.

It didn't work and I passed out. :mad2:

Meat Puppet
06-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I have donated blood once.

I wanted the frog.

I only got a stupid elephant. :mad2:

Anaisa
06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
If I have an injection the mark stays for ages, an injections can cause moles too, so there is no way I'm giving them my blood. I don't know what my blood type is.

Jess
06-06-2007, 10:54 PM
I want to donate blood but I haven't been able to yet. The first time I was able to I couldn't because I had recently had a tattoo done. :jess:

I want to though!

rubah
06-06-2007, 11:06 PM
I tried to donate blood amonth or so ago and almost fainted when they pricked my finger for the blood test.

Not even kidding, it made me so sad.

fire_of_avalon
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I haven't in a while because of scheduling conflicts, but I do donate blood. I can't remember how much I've donated so far, but it's not nearly a gallon. I am O+, which is the most common blood time in the US, and parts of Europe. I donate so people don't die.

EDIT: Moles are caused by concentrated pockets of pigmentation and sunlight. Not marks. You can have dark scars because of shots, though.

Araciel
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
If I have an injection the mark stays for ages, an injections can cause moles too, so there is no way I'm giving them my blood. I don't know what my blood type is.

i'm sorry...but i laughed pretty hard at that

also, i give blood usually once a month but since i've moved to the city i haven't bothered yet. i hear in some places they PAY you for blood!

WTF is that?!?!

i'm o-neg.....i like to think of it as 'unleaded' :P

i give blood cause my body makes so much if i keep giving it. it's really quite impressive....also i'm quite a large human being so it doesn't take a lot out of me to lose a pint.

Jess
06-06-2007, 11:19 PM
I've always wanted to give blood, and even though it sounds quite scary - I've had piercings and a tattoo so it can't be that bad, can it? :confused:

I know I will give blood because it'd make me really happy to think that I could save somebodys life just by giving my blood! :jess:

I'm O+.

Anaisa
06-06-2007, 11:35 PM
I haven't in a while because of scheduling conflicts, but I do donate blood. I can't remember how much I've donated so far, but it's not nearly a gallon. I am O+, which is the most common blood time in the US, and parts of Europe. I donate so people don't die.

EDIT: Moles are caused by concentrated pockets of pigmentation and sunlight. Not marks. You can have dark scars because of shots, though.
Injections can effect pigmentation in that area, because moles are formed by pigment cell clusters, an injections can cause the pigment cells to cluster in that area.

i'm sorry...but i laughed pretty hard at that It's ok, I find it amusing that you think it's something to laugh at.

Miriel
06-06-2007, 11:37 PM
I would gladly donate blood... if there was a way to do it that didn't involve needles. I hate needles. :(

Araciel
06-07-2007, 04:26 AM
even if that were the case, they generally take blood from one part of your body and if i could save a life every time i gave blood and got a new mole somewhere on my body, i'd gladly be covered in them head to toe by now.

rubah
06-07-2007, 04:51 AM
Moles are a little more than pigmentation! Perhaps you're thinking of freckles.

Moles get big and hairy and might be cancerous. E.G. the one the size of a nickel my mom had removed when she was 5.

Anaisa
06-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Moles are a little more than pigmentation! Perhaps you're thinking of freckles.

Moles get big and hairy and might be cancerous. E.G. the one the size of a nickel my mom had removed when she was 5.There are different types of moles.

abrojtm
06-07-2007, 05:02 AM
I would, but they won't accept my blood (I'm far from being too young).

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2007, 05:29 AM

Injections can effect pigmentation in that area, because moles are formed by pigment cell clusters, an injections can cause the pigment cells to cluster in that area.
No, they can't. That isn't how it works.

A mole is a type of melanocyte. Freckles are also grouped into this category. Melanocytes are located at the bottom layer of the epidermis, and through a process called melanogenesis, produce the pigmentation we see as moles. There are thousands upon thousands of melanocytes per square millimeter of skin. The cells that cause moles are already in the location where the mole occurs. Nothing causes those cells to cluster in one area. The cells don't move around.

There are two ways to start melanogenesis in melanocytes. Vitamin D, retinoids, certain hormones and UV exposure all stimulate melanocytes to the point where they undergo melanogenesis and darken the skin. In some cases, this is the impermanent tan or freckle. In other cases, it is the semi-permanent mole. That is where a mole comes from. Getting punctured in anyway does not cause a mole. It causes a scar.

Rengori
06-07-2007, 05:44 AM
I would gladly donate blood... if there was a way to do it that didn't involve needles. I hate needles. :(

Yup.

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 07:31 AM
I've been continually donating for three years (soon to be four), and I have yet to get a mole.

Fonzie
06-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I would, but I'm too young I think. :(

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 07:41 AM
You can begin at the age of 16 with parental permission.

Ouch!
06-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I am disallowed from giving blood. At first I was told that because I lived in Indonesia, I couldn't give blood for five years. After the five year period, though, I learned that I can never donate blood because I lived in Norway. They said something about Mad Cow Disease. Lame.

I don't think I'd give blood now anyway. I've developed an absolute hatred for needles. I was staying overnight in a hospital once. At six in the morning I was awakened by a nurse and a nurse-in-training. As I was still half-awake, I consented to allowing the nurse-in-training to draw my blood. She stuck the needle in and missed. She stuck the needle in again (in the same place, which is, apparently, very dangerous) and missed again. She got it on the third try, but by then it was incredibly painful. I've hated needles ever since.

Cz
06-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Although I'm old enough to give blood now, I haven't got round to it yet. It's definitely something I'll do in the future, though.

Sergeant Hartman
06-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Absolutely hate needles :mad2:

Breine
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
No, I don't donate blood, but I've thought of doing it many times. I'll probably end up becoming a blood donor someday.

As for my blood type I think it was either B positive or AB positive.. I can't really remember.

Giga Guess
06-07-2007, 01:55 PM
The laws in Canada are somewhat biased against homosexuals, so as such, I'm not legally permitted to give blood.

Anaisa
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
No, they can't. That isn't how it works.
A mole is a type of melanocyte. Freckles are also grouped into this category. Melanocytes are located at the bottom layer of the epidermis, and through a process called melanogenesis, produce the pigmentation we see as moles. There are thousands upon thousands of melanocytes per square millimeter of skin. The cells that cause moles are already in the location where the mole occurs. Nothing causes those cells to cluster in one area. The cells don't move around. Moles are made when the cells in the skin grow in a cluster instead of being spread throughout the skin. They don't need to move to form a cluster. The cells are called melanocytes, moles are not mylanocytes. Mylanocytes are pigment forming cells, that cause moles. The mole itself is not a mylanocyte, the same applies to freckles.

There are two ways to start melanogenesis in melanocytes. Vitamin D, retinoids, certain hormones and UV exposure all stimulate melanocytes to the point where they undergo melanogenesis and darken the skin. In some cases, this is the impermanent tan or freckle. In other cases, it is the semi-permanent mole. That is where a mole comes from. Getting punctured in anyway does not cause a mole. It causes a scar. There is no such thing as semi-permanent moles, moles are permanent, they don't naturally disappear. Once they're formed, they only disappear if you remove them. Actually, not all the reasons for cell clusterings are known. An melanogenesis is the production and release of melanin. So melanogenesis is not a process that needs to be triggered. Those things effect malonogenesis, but malanogenesisis is an on going normal process anyway.

demondude
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Nope i never have but i might do some day:)

zorander
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I've given blood 4 times.
My blood type is: A RH positive
and after I had sexual relations with another man for the first time, my blood was no longer good enough for them.

A friend of mine once went to give blood at a mobile unit, and the nurse gave her a puzzled look and said she didn't know if she was allowed to take her blood. My friend asked why not, and the nurse blushed and explained it's because my friend is Black that she wasn't sure if she could. My friend decided to save her the worry and left.

Giving blood is a good, helpful thing, but damn, the people who take it from you can rely be jerks about it.

rubah
06-07-2007, 07:41 PM
The reason they won't take from homosexuals is because of the AIDS epidemic back in the 80s wasn't it?

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
I believe so, but it would seem as though they went overboard with it and it became yet another source of discrimination rather than actual safeguard.

They run tests on all blood prior to freezing/administering it anyways.

And fucking stop talking of moles. I've never heard of anyone getting one, and after almost 4 years of donating, I have not grown a mole. This thread is about donating blood, not how a small physiological difference has been rumored to happen.

Anaisa
06-07-2007, 08:15 PM
And smurfing stop talking of moles. I've never heard of anyone getting one, and after almost 4 years of donating, I have not grown a mole. This thread is about donating blood, not how a small physiological difference has been rumored to happen.
If you're not susceptible to hyperpigmentation in the first place, you wouldn't do.

Momiji
06-07-2007, 08:29 PM
I wanted to donate blood at my school's blood drive this year, but they wouldn't let me 'cause I was 16 at the time, and my birthday was around 3 days after the drive. Apparently 3 days away from 17 makes my blood not any good or something.

I definitely will donate next year though.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I donated blood once so far. I am an O+ (according to my mom that means my sister is an O-). I do not mind needs, in fact I somewhat enjoy the feeling of a needle in my arm.

fire_of_avalon
06-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Nom, I am very sorry for hijacking your thread, and this is the last post I will make.

There is no such thing as semi-permanent moles, moles are permanent, they don't naturally disappear. Once they're formed, they only disappear if you remove them. Actually, not all the reasons for cell clusterings are known. An melanogenesis is the production and release of melanin. So melanogenesis is not a process that needs to be triggered. Those things effect malonogenesis, but malanogenesisis is an on going normal process anyway.

Here are some links that say moles don't last forever.

Some moles may not change at all, while others may slowly disappear over time. (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/moles-freckles-skin-tags)
Some moles will slowly disappear over time. (http://www.womenfitness.net/beauty/skin/moles.htm)
Moles will vary over time. There may be color changes, surface changes, or begin to have hairs. There are some that will change much over time, some that will not change a bit, and some that may just disappear. (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/256530/what_are_skin_moles.html)

Yes, melanogenesis is something that normally happens in the body. I never said it wasn't. What I said was certain triggers can jumpstart melanogenesis which can lead to the creation of a mole.

And maybe you're right in saying that we don't yet know ALL 100% of the external triggers of melanogenesis, but we know the most common. And guess what? Puncture wounds ain't on the list. Unless you're a dermatologist currently involved in research on the subject, I don't believe you.

At any rate, a scar/mole/tattoo/divine symbol of godhood/WHATEVER is a pretty shallow reason to decide to not give blood when you can potentially save someone else's life.

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm going to rip one of the moles off my back and throw it at Anaisa.

And my, according to the poll, only 3 out of 14 able people are willing to donate blood. No wonder there is such a high demand for blood.

Ko Ko
06-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I can't because I am highly anemic (no iron at all, you can draw black lines all over me with gold) and have several physical problems.

Grazia
06-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I never have, probably wont get a chance to either.

I'm diabetic, so I'm not really sure if I could due to Insulin deficiency.. :|

Edit: If an Anaemic cant, stands a cnace that I cant really either.

Levian
06-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Maybe I should make some use of this poor excuse of a body and donate some of that stuff. Donating blood never really crossed my mind, maybe I would've if someone asked me to. I don't even know where to go. Anyway, my blood type is A and I think there's a + on it.

I learned that I can never donate blood because I lived in Norway. They said something about Mad Cow Disease. Lame.

Freaky. I thought that disease was more common in other countries, one of them being UK. Would be silly if no Norwegians could donate because of that. :rolleyes:

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 09:42 PM
I calculated how many gallons and years I would need to donate in order to donate my worth in body weight.

15.60624 gallons would equal my weight as of right now (130)

I am able to donate every 56 days, so it will take me around 1.25842 years to donate 8 pints (1 gallon).

15.60624 / 1.25842 = 12.40145 years.

So, by the time I am around 32 years of age, I ought to have donated my true worth. Perhaps I'll even live long enough to donate twice my body weight. That'd be more than 30 gallons of blood...

rubah
06-07-2007, 09:55 PM
dang, does blood weigh that much more than water?

Tempest
06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
No, I have never donated blood before. It's not that I don't want to, it's just I've never given it any thought. I am A positive.

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 10:06 PM
dang, does blood weigh that much more than water?
I figured that since blood is primarily made of water I would use water weight instead.

Water weighs around 8.3 pounds per gallon. (http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/www/subsection1_4_2_0_7.html)

Anaisa
06-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Here are some links that say moles don't last forever.

Some moles may not change at all, while others may slowly disappear over time. (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/guide/moles-freckles-skin-tags)
Some moles will slowly disappear over time. (http://www.womenfitness.net/beauty/skin/moles.htm)
Moles will vary over time. There may be color changes, surface changes, or begin to have hairs. There are some that will change much over time, some that will not change a bit, and some that may just disappear. (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/256530/what_are_skin_moles.html)Well I don't know where they got that information from, but I beg to differ. I'm trained to perform pigmentation removal, an we're taught moles are permanent unless removed. My mother's a beauty therapist too, an she was taught the same as me. I haven't ever actually encountered any text on moles before that has stated they can disappear. Fade yes, but not disappear.

Yes, melanogenesis is something that normally happens in the body. I never said it wasn't. What I said was certain triggers can jumpstart melanogenesis which can lead to the creation of a mole. But that's not correct. It doesn't jumpstart it, because it's a permanent thing. It's permanently there working. Those triggers cause changes to the process, they don't start the process itself.

And maybe you're right in saying that we don't yet know ALL 100% of the external triggers of melanogenesis, but we know the most common. And guess what? Puncture wounds ain't on the list. Unless you're a dermatologist currently involved in research on the subject, I don't believe you. I'm not a dermatologist, but I'm a beauty therapist.
At any rate, a scar/mole/tattoo/divine symbol of godhood/WHATEVER is a pretty shallow reason to decide to not give blood when you can potentially save someone else's life.I'm not a big fan of humans, so I don't consider them worth the risk. If I could potentially save an animals life but risk getting a mole, I'd do it.
I'm going to rip one of the moles off my back and throw it at Anaisa.An then I'm going to make Nominus Experse eat the mole he attempted to throw at me.