PDA

View Full Version : h'okay, so

Zeldy
06-07-2007, 05:40 PM
apparantly my accent is prominent in how I even bloody type.

What words or phrases do you find yourself saying without realising that they are infact slang? Many times Ive had "___?" as replies to something Ive said.

For me, I always assumed "gutted" and "chuft" were used worldwide.

ljkkjlcm9
06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
you even said bloody when you typed. Basically no one says that over here in the US.

I'm very simple in what I type, trying to get the message across using the least amount of text.

THE JACKEL

Odaisé Gaelach
06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
I generally type what I'm gonna say anyway. Sometimes it involves me saying stuff like "D'you" or "What'cha". I tent not to worry about it too much. :)

~*~Celes~*~
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I say stuff like "I dunno" and "okies!" instead of the standard, because they bring out my personality a bit: more at eased, not as concerned with whether or not I use proper wording. I'm American by the way :p

Peegee
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I type in engilsh or in PGnese.

I talking good english you. Most people talking good english you online. So it's not a big deal that you talking your own english. Capish?

Shauna
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't think that I type with any of my slang in it. I doubt that anyone would be able to tell that I spoke with a Glaswegian accent through the way I type.

licence
06-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Weeelllll I get that alot if I type in slang, why can't everyone just know Scottish slang lol. I also say bloody alot.

Quindiana Jones
06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Bloody. Chuffed. Gutted. Knackered. Shattered. Werzatoo?

And I like saying crikey, By Jingo, spiffing, Sweet Mercy, Good Lord, Great Scott, howdy, y'all, aye, "is all" at the end of sentences, and loads of other things that normal Somersetters don't say.

And the amount of slang words I just make up on the spot...crikey, no wonder I get so many "O_O<?"s.

Zeldy
06-07-2007, 07:26 PM

And I like saying crikey, By Jingo, spiffing, Sweet Mercy, Good Lord, Great Scott, howdy, y'all, aye, "is all" at the end of sentences, and loads of other things that normal Somersetters don't say.

And the amount of slang words I just make up on the spot...crikey, no wonder I get so many "O_O<?"s.

Knackered and Shattered are slang too? xD "Gutted" is way the best one though. Even if we pronounce it as "Guh-ih-d.", the t is only a tiny bit heard.

Quindiana Jones
06-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Yup. Well, from what I've gathered. Y'know...people looking at you funny when you say you're knackered.

Zeldy
06-07-2007, 07:28 PM
You sure that isnt because Knackered can mean sexually exhausted?

Shoeberto
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I have no idea what most of those mean.

I use slang a lot, but usually it's just mixing two commonly known words together. "Douchecock," for example.

Comet
06-07-2007, 07:35 PM
doo yoo wana cum 2 ma yard

Quindiana Jones
06-07-2007, 07:37 PM
You sure that isnt because Knackered can mean sexually exhausted?

Yes I am sure. :mad2: Knackered is slang. Live with it. :(

Dreddz
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I think I do pretty well to avoid using british slang on the internet. Im pretty cockney in real life which should tell you alot how I speak offline. But yeah, never on the internet.

Tallulah
06-07-2007, 07:38 PM
I try to keep my language international on forums, and if specifically talking about something peculiar to the UK, I try to explain it so other users get what I'm talking about.

A headline in my local paper this week heading a story about bootleg cigarettes (Police seize 3,000 Fake Fags) would have made an American look twice... :greenie: Even I had a giggle to myself. :D

Nominus Experse
06-07-2007, 08:21 PM
As a rule, I don't usually make use of slang. However, on rare occasions, I will. They tend to be more European than American, though.

Jess
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Sometimes I'll use slag, but mostly to people I know will understand me, otherwise I'll try not to because then I'll have to explain what I meant. :jess:

I have no idea what most of those mean.
Bloody: It's basically a different way of saying "damn". "It's so bloody cold outside!"

Chuffed: To be very pleased, or happy with yourself or something.

Gutted: To be disappointed.

Knackered & Shattered: To be very tired.

Werzatoo: what? I have no idea!

I hope I helped! :jess:

DK
06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Werzatoo! Where's that too? I think that's what he was meaning anyway.

I use a lot of ghetto Cornish slang like that now. "Where's that to?" or "Where you to?" or something.

I do have a pretty ghetto vocabulary, partly made up from the areas where I've lived and partly words I just like. It's suave. :}

Cookie
06-07-2007, 11:42 PM
STØVELBINDING BILL ELLER KOM DEG FOR HELVETTE UT >:(

DK
06-07-2007, 11:45 PM
STØVELBINDING BILL ELLER KOM DEG FOR HELVETTE UT >:(

Thread win

Old Manus
06-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Cool words like 'mun' at the end of every sentence, mixed with random welsh stuff like 'ych a fi' would make me look like an illiterate nub if I typed it. :cry:

PyroManiak
06-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Nope, I always make sense.

Agent Proto
06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
you even said bloody when you typed. Basically no one says that over here in the US.

I'm very simple in what I type, trying to get the message across using the least amount of text.

THE JACKAL

Pretty much the same with me.

Rocket Edge
06-08-2007, 12:30 AM
I always have to change the things I say in order for everyone to understand online. If I was to talk normally as I always do, it wuld be like this (some random talk!):

I dunno pal, supose I may go out later on or dat, and shur wel see wha happens, it'll be well savage lad.

> I don't know, I suppose i'll go out later, and then we'll see what happens, it's going to be great.

Zeldy
06-08-2007, 05:05 PM
I always have to change the things I say in order for everyone to understand online. If I was to talk normally as I always do, it wuld be like this (some random talk!):

I dunno pal, supose I may go out later on or dat, and shur wel see wha happens, it'll be well savage lad.

> I don't know, I suppose i'll go out later, and then we'll see what happens, it's going to be great.

Oh totally. If I spoke in complete St Helens dialect it'd be unreadable. We say things like "sound". xD "Oh sound".
So like "going out later mate? nay? oh gutted. am well goin this pya sound place. chuffed".

Naah, I mean words you THOUGHT everyone else used that it turns out only you use. Not whether you use an accent online or not D:

Goldenboko
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
It depends... how lazy am I at that moment?

Griff
06-08-2007, 10:57 PM
I try not to use much slang on the forums, because everytime I do my inner-writer hurts me...

The only exception is eh. I'm stereotypical like that.

Vikeve
06-08-2007, 11:07 PM
I generally type what I'm gonna say anyway. Sometimes it involves me saying stuff like "D'you" or "What'cha". I tent not to worry about it too much. :)

Same, but people say I have this accent that I really don't have. I say like a lot too but I always feel weird typing down like a lot.

Jessweeee♪
06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
I usually type the way I talk, or, well, the way I talk in my head...:shifty:

oddler
06-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Pretty much. I type how I speak. No boundaries.