PDA

View Full Version : I think the whole thing with Yuna is an extremely strong part of the storyline...

Peter_20
06-08-2007, 05:41 AM
*SPOILERS!!!*

---

Whenever I play this game, I feel a strange kind of sorrow that's hard to put into words.
I feel this sorrow because of one character: Yuna.
I think her mission adds a unique kind of darkness to the whole storyline: you're off to that place where Sin resides, and you have to defeat him.
Yeah, that would be a fairly simple storyline in itself, but this time one of the characters has chosen to sacrifice herself.

Personally I spend the whole game feeling sorry for Yuna.
I'm pretty sure she does survive anyway, but you won't know it the first time you play the game.
It starts already when you're leaving Besaid Island: lots of people are crying when she embarks the boat, as does she.
She shows them a sign of farewell, and sets off to her doom.
You can see her standing there, with the other characters, and you always feel sad because you think she'll soon be gone forever.

It's a very strong and touching part of the storyline.

Rostum
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Yeah, it's tragic. I think it's more noticeable in a second play through, because you realize this, but you have Tidus being so optimistic until you reach Zanarkand.

The whole world is a fairly dark setting to me, anyways. Spira lives through a spiral of death. But fear not, at the end it all works itself out. I mean, Tidus is gone, but he comes back in the sequel.

d£v!l'$ ph0£n!x
06-08-2007, 02:09 PM
i think it reflects how devoted the characters are, sending someone to their death because it's their duty, even though it's killing them to do so

Renmiri
06-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Yuna's story reminded me so much of my feelings seeing my little cousin ship to Iraq :(

He is back safe and sound though :bigsmile:

And just like Tidus and the rest, I'm glad I respected his wish to make a difference and didn't throw a fit about him going to (possibly) his death.

Peter_20
06-09-2007, 04:37 PM
i think it reflects how devoted the characters are, sending someone to their death because it's their duty, even though it's killing them to do soIt was Yuna's own decision, and her guardians had no right to interfere.

This is basically how it went on:

Guardians: "You're... ready for this?"
Yuna: "...Mmm..."

Tidus even tried to convince her not to do it, and then she started crying and told him that she had to.

Tallulah
06-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I thought the NPCs especially, selfish at first, then I remembered it was Yuna's own decision to give her life for a few years of peace. She believed her life was worth a few years' comfort to the rest of the world, and that good would come of it.

However, her beliefs turn out to be misguided when we find out that Yevon is perpetuating the whole thing (making the world believe the only way to stop Sin is to send summoners to their deaths), whcih is sad.

Cookie
06-09-2007, 05:38 PM
ONOES MA PXLATED FRENDZ MYT DIE D:!1!!1!111!!

Peter_20
06-10-2007, 07:16 PM
ONOES MA PXLATED FRENDZ MYT DIE D:!1!!1!111!!Um, perhaps you've heard of people crying while reading a book and pitying some character?
Well, this is the exactly same thing.

You know just as well as myself that even pixelated characters can stirr up emotions within you.
It's no use trying to deny it.

Bolivar
06-11-2007, 01:24 AM
despite all its criticism, it is a great game and a great story.

Cookie
06-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Nothing worth crying over though, really.

Peter_20
06-11-2007, 08:15 AM
Nothing worth crying over though, really.Say that to everyone who cried during the ending scene, etc. :p

Pixelated characters actually can make you feel in different ways.
This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Cookie
06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Nothing worth crying over though, really.Say that to everyone who cried during the ending scene, etc. :p

Pixelated characters actually can make you feel in different ways.
This is not an opinion, it's a fact.

Yeah, but it would have to be powerful to make me cry, and FFX wasn't really that powerful imo. Also, bring me all of those people, and I'll say it.

Peter_20
06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, I can't physically bring the people here, of course, but take a look at some cutscenes from the game and check people's comments.
That should be enough. :)

For example, this one:
YouTube - Suteki da ne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0cYTsoBlI&mode=related&search=)

Rostum
06-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but it would have to be powerful to make me cry, and FFX wasn't really that powerful imo. Also, bring me all of those people, and I'll say it.

It's your opinion, and there's no reason for you to impose it on anyone like that. Video games can be just as emotional as books and movies, and that's a huge fact that you cannot dismiss when discussing it.

Cookie
06-11-2007, 11:38 AM
It's your opinion, and there's no reason for you to impose it on anyone like that. Video games can be just as emotional as books and movies, and that's a huge fact that you cannot dismiss when discussing it.

I wasn't imposing, and if you think I was then any opinion is imposing, really. I didn't dismiss the fact that video games can be as emotional as books or movies, I made a silly comment, then later added that I didn't think the storyline of FFX was powerful enough to bring emotions in that way.

cally777
06-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Well people can feel whatever emotions they like - equally you can think they are overreacting if you want.

Personally I think its sad what would have happened to Yuna, but even more tragic is what could have happened to one of her guardians, and had already happened to Jecht. That is they could have become Sin, the very thing they hated . A living nightmare to which death was maybe preferable.

:choc::choc::choc: