PDA

View Full Version : The Helicopter Boss: Pros and Cons

Phil
06-08-2007, 07:53 AM
It has occured to me as well as a friend of mine, also an avid gamer, that the helicopter boss seems to appear everywhere. Three games have come to mind in particular, and I'd like to weigh the pros and cons in each scenario and see who agrees.

Scenario 1: Shinobi (for the PS2)
I had rather enjoyed the hack-n-slash style of shinobi up until the point of the helicopter boss. It was mid-way through the battle that I realized: I was surrounded by 6 or 7 chunin warriors, had one health point left, was out of flame scrolls, and had still only taken down one fourth of the boss's hp. Needless to say I was screwed. I had become rather agitated upon discovering that I could only strike at the boss while jumping underneath it, getting one hit in each time. The battle would NEVER end; albiet the game over came rather quickly. My friend tried. Still no luck, even with a direct hit with the fire-scroll. So why the boss? Why the unneccicary addition? Why can't I fight another ninja here instead of a helicopter? You tell me.

Scenario 2: Viewtiful Joe (for the Gamecube)
Personally, I hadn't played it. My friend had once again tried to beat it. And still this boss would hit us with his angry red blades and kill our health, despite the use of hamburgers and hotdogs and the incessant reoccurance of the "yummy" sound clip. It seemed like every time we would get a break, the boss would fire a barrage of bullets at the most inconvenient time when I couldn't move due to the over-spawning of the psycho-white-zombies who, to my knowledge, looked like robotic gimps. And not even the helpful kind, like in Killer7. Just the annoying ones. Oh Iwazaru, how I miss thee. Sure, the slow-mo helped, but the fact is that the boss pulled cheap-shots until my friend slammed the controller down, nearly breaking it. It's like it was toying with us, saying "here you go, you can defeat me.. JUST KIDDING, tool." For a first boss in the game, it was rather difficult. Why is this neccecary? I want to fight an evil villain with a cape, not a friggin helicopter. Neccecary? You tell me.

Scenario 3: Devil May Cry 2 (for the PS2)
For those of you daring enough to play this crap-load of a game, you know this boss. He's at the top of a small sky-scraper. So here's the deal: Big helicopter that's offscreen 99% of the fight, flying just high enough to evade your sword, two guns full of unlimited ammo, zero space to maneuver, and a boss with defense shields high enough to match that of any ship from any sci-fi series. Ever. This battle isn't hard, rather, boring. I spent a good 30 minutes firing bullets at an object I couldn't see. Sure, it would shoot missiles, but you just dodge them with with a flip. This boss is by far the most unnessecary one in gaming history. I played Devil May Cry to fight demons, not American Military Vehicles. I dont know what part of that you don't get, capcom. A good idea? You tell me.

Pros:
The boss is an easy concept.
You don't have to think of any "out there" moves for it to use".
It's easy to create for a game-designer. Not a hard-to-find model.
It annoys the crap out of gamers, and they call their friends to come over and beat it, and they all order pizza from Dominos, and Dominos sends Capcom checks for cash for netting them business.

Cons:
They suck. They aren't original, they're ususally out of context, and seldom fun to fight. How many helicopters have you actually fought in a MILITARY-THEMED game? 0 that I can recall.
They're a waste of time.
They are either way to easy, or way to hard.
They don't get you involved. Helicopters can't drop one-liners that actually add emotion to gameplay. (if you're into that kinda thing)
They pull cheap-shots.
Lastly, they're helicopters. I mean come on, at least send me something cool like a tank or a figher-jet. Hell, send me the fighter-PILOT for all I care.

So in conclusion, why are helicopters in games? Where did they come from? Why are they still here?

So seriously, does anybody else feel this way? Any good stories? I'm beggin'- throw me a bone here. Am I alone in this?

Jowy
06-08-2007, 08:09 AM
FUCKING GODDAMN HIND D SHUT UP LIQUID ;_;

Nominus Experse
06-08-2007, 08:10 AM
The thing that seems to make the least amount of since is the helicopters' movement. Logically, the enemy would use its aviation to its advantage, never allowing you to come close enough to either strike it with your strangely unbreakable melee weapon, or would remain out of the reach of normal bullets.

And half the time these helicopters have an arsenal of missiles and Gatling guns, bombs and the like, and yet the enemy's AI is made to come in close when bombing or firing. This makes no sense whatsoever.

In all reality, if you were to face a helicopter suddenly, you would be dead - nigh instantly. The only possible method a single person has of taking down a helicopter is by the use of an RPG or extremely lucky/expertly aimed sniper shot.

They don't make sense, and as you mentioned, seem to never have any large bearing in the plot or feel of the game. More often than not, they're completely out of place.

Dreddz
06-08-2007, 09:48 AM
I dont think they appear everywhere to be honest. I can only think of two other games with helicopter bosses in them. Metal Gear Solid and FFVII.

Eiko Guy
06-09-2007, 02:07 AM
I cant think of a logical reason why the helicopter doesnt just bomb us and fly off. Also i dont understand why marona cant make ash stay in battle for more than five turns.

Cookie
06-09-2007, 02:19 AM
For those of you daring enough to play this crap-load of a game, you know this boss. He's at the top of a small sky-scraper. So here's the deal: Big helicopter that's offscreen 99% of the fight, flying just high enough to evade your sword, two guns full of unlimited ammo, zero space to maneuver, and a boss with defense shields high enough to match that of any ship from any sci-fi series. Ever. This battle isn't hard, rather, boring. I spent a good 30 minutes firing bullets at an object I couldn't see. Sure, it would shoot missiles, but you just dodge them with with a flip. This boss is by far the most unnessecary one in gaming history. I played Devil May Cry to fight demons, not American Military Vehicles. I dont know what part of that you don't get, capcom. A good idea? You tell me.

So seriously, does anybody else feel this way? Any good stories? I'm beggin'- throw me a bone here. Am I alone in this?

The music to that battle is epic, though.

Spammerman
06-09-2007, 02:22 AM
What I dont get the most is, how the hell does a sword take down a helicopter?

Eiko Guy
06-09-2007, 02:28 AM
Same way a sword takes down a "god". Hack, hack, slash, slash, inner power, BOOM!!!

Spammerman
06-09-2007, 02:42 AM
Pointless battles with helicopters is like Big feet to Sora and Kairi. It wouldnt be the same without them. Now you hate them, but without them, youd think, Man, this game needs some helicopters

Odaisé Gaelach
06-09-2007, 03:06 AM
I really enjoyed Metal Gear Solid's battle with the Hind D. It would fly below the roof of the communications tower, then all you'd be able to hear is the sound of the wind. Waiting.

Until it zooms up again, the music begins, the blades whirl, and bullets go pingpingping against the roof's surface. There's enough time to aim the Stinger, then fire, and watch it arc around and explode against the Hind.

Sounds boring, but really it was thrilling stuff. :D

Eiko Guy
06-09-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm just pissed that Ash only gets 5 turns while my soldiers get 8 and they are weak and slow.

Phil
06-09-2007, 06:55 AM
Pointless battles with helicopters is like Big feet to Sora and Kairi. It wouldnt be the same without them. Now you hate them, but without them, youd think, Man, this game needs some helicopters

You bring up a good point, my friend. Sora and Kairi just... need big feet. Who else would there BE to run like idiots in a cutscene? I wish for once, though, just once, that I could pilot the helicopter and blow the bajeebus out of stuff.... eh... it's just a pipe-dream...

Markus. D
06-09-2007, 07:05 AM

The music to that battle is epic, though.

I've got the soundtrack <3

Meat Puppet
06-09-2007, 07:17 AM
I could never get up to the helicopter boss on Shinobi for the sega master system. I could always get past big dumb dumb by kicking him in the head or whatever, but the level after that was just too much for me. Often I would have to just stare at the back of the Shinobi box, and wonder what it would be like to fight that helicopter.

Rostum
06-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I dont think they appear everywhere to be honest. I can only think of two other games with helicopter bosses in them. Metal Gear Solid and FFVII.

There's also FFIX where you fight the Arc or something, I think that's a helicopter.

DK
06-09-2007, 11:57 AM
smurfING GODDAMN HIND D SHUT UP LIQUID ;_;

That was my favourite boss fight in that game, bar the Ninja. :D

Madame Adequate
06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Cons:
They suck. They aren't original, they're ususally out of context, and seldom fun to fight. How many helicopters have you actually fought in a MILITARY-THEMED game? 0 that I can recall.

You fight one in MERCS.

Spammerman
06-09-2007, 12:47 PM

You bring up a good point, my friend. Sora and Kairi just... need big feet. Who else would there BE to run like idiots in a cutscene? I wish for once, though, just once, that I could pilot the helicopter and blow the bajeebus out of stuff.... eh... it's just a pipe-dream...

You should play Mercs or Warrock.