PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the game?

jammi567
06-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Having just brought the game today, what do you think about it? Is it good, or are Square letting themselves down?

Xurts
06-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately, it's not that great. Gambits and the new battle system are cool. The graphics are pretty. That's about it. The main character, Vaan, is even more annoying than Tidus and ultimately ruins the story. Him and Penelo really have no purpose in this game and are just filler characters. The rest of the characters are meh, except for Balthier who totally rocks.

It's a fun and enjoyable game, but doesn't come close to matching the classics.

Hazzard
06-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, it's not that great. Gambits and the new battle system are cool. The graphics are pretty. That's about it. The main character, Vaan, is even more annoying than Tidus and ultimately ruins the story. Him and Penelo really have no purpose in this game and are just filler characters. It's a fun and enjoyable game, but doesn't come close to matching the classics.

Incorrect. As said several times before, Vaan is not the main character, but just a mere default accustomed character to be used in towns. I good sway to your point about how Vaan and Penelo shouldn't be there, because it is a questionable thing to wonder. They don't in any way or form ruin the story, and I wouldn't judge the game on two characters, when other aspects are visibly great in the game. I find the story intriguing, and the points above as well. Too much dungeon crawling, and suitable for a gamer with a decent level of intellect, and has some understanding with olden text. The game is mainly focused on a political motive, and unique from the other titles.

Overall it is a very satisfying game, which is time consuming and mostly tiring, but rewarding in some sense. It for me, was one of the best installments in the series and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

LunarWeaver
06-09-2007, 09:22 PM
If you like RPGs, then it's one to buy. It's not like quality RPGs are just all over the English-speaking market waiting to be bought. There's not really any reason to not get it and play it.

Xurts
06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately, it's not that great. Gambits and the new battle system are cool. The graphics are pretty. That's about it. The main character, Vaan, is even more annoying than Tidus and ultimately ruins the story. Him and Penelo really have no purpose in this game and are just filler characters. It's a fun and enjoyable game, but doesn't come close to matching the classics.

Incorrect. As said several times before, Vaan is not the main character, but just a mere default accustomed character to be used in towns. I good sway to your point about how Vaan and Penelo shouldn't be there, because it is a questionable thing to wonder. They don't in any way or form ruin the story, and I wouldn't judge the game on two characters, when other aspects are visibly great in the game. I find the story intriguing, and the points above as well. Too much dungeon crawling, and suitable for a gamer with a decent level of intellect, and has some understanding with olden text. The game is mainly focused on a political motive, and unique from the other titles.

Overall it is a very satisfying game, which is time consuming and mostly tiring, but rewarding in some sense. It for me, was one of the best installments in the series and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Whether Vaan is the main character or not doesn't really matter, it's the fact that he's there in the first place and the effect he has on the story. Penelo I don't really care about. She's just there and has no purpose.

I thought the political storyline was a nice change from the usual FF storylines, but it had flaws that made it less appealing.

Hazzard
06-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Whether Vaan is the main character or not doesn't really matter, it's the fact that he's there in the first place and the effect he has on the story. Penelo I don't really care about. She's just there and has no purpose.

I thought the political storyline was a nice change from the usual FF storylines, but it had flaws that made it less appealing.

Please, enlighten me with the flaws because I'm not aware of any, but the amount of depth inputed into it and how much we, the gamers, missed out on such a remarkable storyline.

Renmiri
06-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Kids!!!

Didn't the OP specifically asked for XII n00bs opinions ?

We can go fight about the lack of story some other thread, let's leave this thread for first impressions only

Xurts
06-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Please, enlighten me with the flaws because I'm not aware of any, but the amount of depth inputed into it and how much we, the gamers, missed out on such a remarkable storyline.
Doing that would provide massive spoilers to the people who haven't played through the game, specifically the topic starter.

hplvr
06-09-2007, 11:26 PM
I loved it, got charcaters, good battle system, but the storyline could of been WAY better and more complicated, but it's easy to follow, and not that great

Tallulah
06-10-2007, 12:09 AM
I wasn't really that impressed. I got a new (secondhand) PS2 to play it (as mine was completely screwed) just to buy it, and I ended up disappointed.

Seriously, I'd rather play WoW than FFXII. :eep:

jammi567
06-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Ummm, wow. What such mixed responses.

Vivisteiner
06-10-2007, 12:41 PM
^Tis a very good game.

It was disappointing in some aspects though.

Xurts
06-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Random chest contents ftfl.

Setzer Gabianni
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
FFXII is a brilliant game, probably a lot better then this "thing" you call WoW *shudders*

It's a good battle system, if you don't like random battles, you should ennjoy this system an awful lot. Monsters will still give you the goosebumps if they suddenly spring up on you, like the Vipers for instance - watch out for rare game, which can be quite nasty, and Zertinan Caverns early on, because if you go too far, you'll get battered <3. You will sometimes seen "green" bar monsters - neutral, so they won't attack you. However, even if it's a harmless bunny or a Garif adventurer, don't help them out by healing them, they will turn on you. The Rabanastre watch doesn't though. Build up chains for far lots of loot which will sell for many gils, and by building massive chains, you will earn some spiffy weapons. Look out for traps too - the majority will damage you/inflict some sort of status effect on you, however..there are some which will heal you. Either have someone cast Libra (a technick) on themselves, or just cast float on your party when you can, and you can walk over the traps.The VA is better then X's, they appear more realistic, more fitting for characters - they're more enjoyable to listen to anywho. Take for example the judges - Bergan = feel the evilness. Ghis = you feel the slyness/his determination usurp Vayne. etc etc. Graphics = mindblowing of course. Quickenings, will come in useful for some bosses, if you can manage a great quickening chain. Summons, not so good, but their bestiary info kinda makes up their lack of usefulness for me. Ah yes, moving onto the bestiary - you find out a lot about monsters, and once you collect a certain number of monsters, well, kill a certain amount, you will find out more info about Ivalice, and other secret things too. FMV's - very beautiful, although they could have replaced some cutscenes with a few more FMV's. Some places like Archades and Rabanastre are huge in detail, so take your time exploring them. Do that with every place though. The storyline - yes, it's not as long as some may think, but to me it's a refreshing change from the dreary emo worlds that some FF's i.e VII's, seem to be. The characters don't have terribly dreary backstories, and they are all interesting, well most. Pennelo - sorry love, you're sweet and not as annoying as Rikku or Yuffie, but you're a bit dull. They work together well, and considering how they all came to be together, they're as good as friends as you'd expect such a group to be.

I could add more...but jus lemme know what else you wanna know about.

Hazzard
06-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Setzer really has a detailed opinion on the game.

I really think this is a top-notch game, and is considered one of the best by me. The hunts were the best aspect in the game, and made up greatly for which they lacked in depth of story. It provided a lot of fascination for the gamer, as they were given a chance to explore inner places of Ivalice, and encounter striking puzzles, astonishing bosses and a good opportunity to level up or the likes. Although the game can be very tiring at times, I find there is always one element to XII that keeps it from railing to dull, and stuck on the track of: incomplete, but high hopes of possible perfection. One could feel quite deprived and bitter once you've ended the game, either if you loved the experience dearly and wanted an extra slice more of story, or that the journey was not as fulfilling as you thought it would be.

Overall, I would claim that I was in limbo betwixt the two experiences, and found XII to provide a good insight into a unique story, but with a few traits from II.

Renmiri
06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
I agree with you Hazzard, the Hunts and the world exploration WERE the game for me. I loved how each couple of hunts you had to adjust your strategy and there was no silver bullet. Spamming Curaga only works for a while. Reflect ? Ditto! Quickenings ? Same thing. Every couple of hours I had to adjust tactics and that was oodles of fun, but yeah, at the end a bit exhausting. I still have yet to play it for the second time.

I missed a story I could care for though :(

Hazzard
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I loved how each couple of hunts you had to adjust your strategy and there was no silver bullet. Spamming Curaga only works for a while. Reflect ? Ditto! Quickenings ? Same thing. Every couple of hours I had to adjust tactics and that was oodles of fun

Exactly, especially against Fenrir, and when you had to devise multiple tactics midway in battle against Gilgamesh. Superb! :p

remnant1
06-11-2007, 10:15 PM
????????!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????adjust tactics?????????????i used the same tactics on every hunt and it worked fine,you must not play rpgs to often lolol.all i do is kill the dang things.if you cant do that,then you need to lvl up more

Comet
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
It was OK, I'm not gonna lie.

Hazzard
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
????????!!!!!!!!!!??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????adjust tactics?????????????i used the same tactics on every hunt and it worked fine,you must not play rpgs to often lolol.all i do is kill the dang things.if you cant do that,then you need to lvl up more

Huh? Is that directed at me, because the reason I "adjust" tactics is to find new strategies and expand my skills as an RPGamer, you must not play much RPG's, because using the same old tactics is dull and boring "lol". Also, if you can't kill off an opponent, it isn't necessarily due to lack of level, it may actually be the way you're approaching the foe, and the certain "tactics" which you are doing wrong. :mad:

Finola
06-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Everything else is great except the story and the characters deepness. Though the videos look great there's nothing that really happens in them.
If the story and plot had been as strong as in X it would probably have been the best game ever.
But there's something i'm not sure what to think about... the new battle-system. You just got some free time and you're really not needed so what to think about that? The boss fights used to be something challenging (i'm not saying that there aren't challenging bosses in XII) and kind of exciting...differently at least... now you just guide your party in fight and you can go and have a lunch.

And one minus -- there's a lot frustrating running all the time -- which i hate.

Renmiri
06-11-2007, 11:23 PM

Huh? Is that directed at me, because the reason I "adjust" tactics is to find new strategies and expand my skills as an RPGamer, you must not play much RPG's, because using the same old tactics is dull and boring "lol". Also, if you can't kill off an opponent, it isn't necessarily due to lack of level, it may actually be the way you're approaching the foe, and the certain "tactics" which you are doing wrong. :mad:
hehe ignore the idiot, Hazzard. Don't feed the trolls ;)

Setzer Gabianni
06-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Everything else is great except the story and the characters deepness. Though the videos look great there's nothing that really happens in them.
If the story and plot had been as strong as in X it would probably have been the best game ever.
But there's something i'm not sure what to think about... the new battle-system. You just got some free time and you're really not needed so what to think about that? The boss fights used to be something challenging (i'm not saying that there aren't challenging bosses in XII) and kind of exciting...differently at least... now you just guide your party in fight and you can go and have a lunch.

And one minus -- there's a lot frustrating running all the time -- which i hate.

Better then random battles.

BG-57
06-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I found the game very addictive. It's one of the most sidequest intensive games I've ever played (which is not necessarily a bad thing). If you want to race through and just win the game it won't take you long, but if you want to experience everything the game has to offer, you'll need to spare oodles of time.

The battle system took a little getting used to but I enjoy it now. Visible enemies are always a plus. Getting supremely overpowered weapons early on was half the fun for me. It's interesting how the game makes areas and monsters available early on that can easily overwhelm your party if you don't prepare (and sometimes even if you do).

I like the storyline so far. Although I would have liked to learn more about the Judges.

Bolivar
06-12-2007, 04:21 PM
BG-57's absolutely right - this is a very addicting game.

As an RPG, it's in a league of its own, as I don't think I've ever played a game that was so detailed. If you look at the scenery, there's constantly detail put into things you wouldn't expect, and the Bestiary is literally an encyclopedia full of information on the world and its backstory.

The setting is amazing - but don't expect FFT's Ivalice. This game's ivalice is like FFTA's, and the culture is representative of Egyptian/Mesopotamian civilizations during their heyday, which is real cool as it's probably one of the least explored cultures/civilizations in RPGs and especially Final Fantasy.

The battle system's on another level, too. Itou, the guy who came up with the ATB system in IV and perfected it throughout the series, added another dimension to it with ADB. You still have time bars that fill up, but everything is seamless, no battle screens, the idea is that you are constantly exploring. The Gambit system is great if you can get into it. Itou based it off of the NFL, where the coach selects plays that will predict the most likely outcome, and you adjust your strategies according to that. Very strategic and very intense.

As a Final Fantasy, you might be dissappointed. There's maybe 30 hours of actual story whereas there's probably up to 100 hours in sidequests and mark hunting. Don't get me wrong - this game has an amazing story. But the storytelling is amatuer at best. If you're expecting a deep plot with references to mythology and philosophy, and alot of effort put into developing characters, this game might let you down a little bit. To me it abandoned many of the mechanics that have made the series stand out among its competitors, especially the recent advances made in storytelling in the last few installments.

The music is good (some really great pieces) but it gets repetitive and al ittle boring about halfway through the game. The graphics are probably the best we're gonna get with PS2, the FMV's rivaling XBOX360 IMO. I spent more time on 1 file than any other final fantasy, so be prepared to get addicted if you can get into it.

Wuggly Blight
06-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Not as bad as X but not as good as it could of been.

Music: Boring, nothing toe tapping like anything pre-X. Some rare good bits.

Characters: No development or even reason why most of them was even there, You stop and think, why is Vaan even HERE!?

Plot: The story is mostly Ive got the stone go to point B Ive got point B get the stone at Point c, rinse and repeat, It was abit dull. Most, if not all the story too place behind close doors far far far away, Your characters had no involment in the plot at all, Im not even sure if they knew what was ever going on. Very dull.

Setting: Good setting, But some of the places need some more history. However some places seemed insignificant as you never went there, You didnt know much about Ashe, she wasnt really developed, and her in her palace held no significence and you never (Properly) went there and it never had any real bearing on the story. Same with Arcades and such so theres no warm fuzzy feeling at the end, I didnt even care.

Battle system better, but weak crap summons, the system made the dungeon crawling better, which was, unfortunately the whole game.

Setzer Gabianni
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Not as bad as X but not as good as it could of been.

Music: Boring, nothing toe tapping like anything pre-X. Some rare good bits.

Far from boring, but then that's me. I personally believe that most people don't like the music because it's a different composer, someone they're not used to.

Characters: No development or even reason why most of them was even there, You stop and think, why is Vaan even HERE!?[quote]

Characters do have reasons for being there so..

[quote]Plot: The story is mostly Ive got the stone go to point B Ive got point B get the stone at Point c, rinse and repeat, It was abit dull. Most, if not all the story too place behind close doors far far far away, Your characters had no involment in the plot at all, Im not even sure if they knew what was ever going on. Very dull.

Ha. Most plots follow the same format. You go to this place, do this. And so on and so on. The characters had involvement in the plot, so how they apparently didn't, kinda mystifies me.

Setting: Good setting, But some of the places need some more history. However some places seemed insignificant as you never went there, You didnt know much about Ashe, she wasnt really developed, and her in her palace held no significence and you never (Properly) went there and it never had any real bearing on the story. Same with Arcades and such so theres no warm fuzzy feeling at the end, I didnt even care.

You knew enough about Ashe actually. The palace? That had no importance/relevance to the story anyway really. And seeing as Ashe couldn't exactly go back there without causing trouble..

No warm fuzzy feeling at the end? This is the kinda game you'd least expect a warm fuzzy feeling from. Maybe from the cutesy titles, but this is probably the last thing FFXII would turn out to be. The ending FMV though, is kinda warm/happy sort of thing.

Talking about Archades - when you think about it, by the time you got there, Ashe couldn't exactly talk to a) Gramis (as he was dead) or b) The Senate - they got dismissed by Vayne. There was not much she could do with Vayne's being there/his stronghold whatever you call it being there. The capital had importance - you could find out a lot of things from the NPC's, less arrogant ones like. Plus, it was where Draklor Laboraties was.

Battle system better, but weak crap summons, the system made the dungeon crawling better, which was, unfortunately the whole game.

Erm..no? Forgot the open space hm? :P

Even if there was numerous, they were all designed pretty neatly.

I kinda agree with the whole summons thing. Useless in battle like VI's, but cool to look at and read info about.

Hope you don't take any of my comments the wrong way <3

Cledarius
06-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I think, i've seen better FFs.

i don't like that battle system. I don't like it at all. It's just not FF for me. I liked the into-battel zooming.

And I don't like the main char Vaan (I know he isn't but you begin with him). He looks so stupid. The other chars are quite cool.

The new level system is totally crap.

The plot...well it's ok, not that great but ok.

just my two cents

Setzer Gabianni
06-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I think, i've seen better FFs.

i don't like that battle system. I don't like it at all. It's just not FF for me. I liked the into-battel zooming.

And I don't like the main char Vaan (I know he isn't but you begin with him). He looks so stupid. The other chars are quite cool.

The new level system is totally crap.

The plot...well it's ok, not that great but ok.

just my two cents

Few things

1) The whole screen smashing you're mentioning? Not FF, so to say the battle system isn't FF, well, er, you're a bit wrong there.

2) The whole level system is crap? It's like the others..you earn so much EXP, you gain a level. Instead of AP, you learn LP.

Explain yourself a bit more dear >.o

Hazzard
06-13-2007, 07:35 PM
As a Final Fantasy, you might be dissappointed. There's maybe 30 hours of actual story whereas there's probably up to 100 hours in sidequests and mark hunting. Don't get me wrong - this game has an amazing story. But the storytelling is amatuer at best. If you're expecting a deep plot with references to mythology and philosophy, and alot of effort put into developing characters, this game might let you down a little bit. To me it abandoned many of the mechanics that have made the series stand out among its competitors, especially the recent advances made in storytelling in the last few installments.

The music is good (some really great pieces) but it gets repetitive and al ittle boring about halfway through the game. The graphics are probably the best we're gonna get with PS2, the FMV's rivaling XBOX360 IMO. I spent more time on 1 file than any other final fantasy, so be prepared to get addicted if you can get into it.

First of all, I totally agree with everything Bolivar said here, and you certainly hit the nail in the coffin. Like I've said before, Final Fantasy XII had one of the best story-lines to this day, but ultimately wasted it. I was disappointed with how brief and short it was, and how they didn't even attempt to lengthen any of the more crucial parts, like experiencing times in cutscenes, of the party members emotions. They just really left out the good stuff in it. I'm still a little miffed at how much culture, mythology, philosophy and other features of history in Ivalice weren't thoroughly explained. Although the bestiary provided a reasonably satisfying amount of information, it would of been fun to explore Ivalice. Not the terrain, but the characters, Rozzarian areas, and other things.

The music was too repetitive, and I was aggrieved to find that the final boss music wasn't exactly unique, like the other FF's were. It was just another track to me. They could of spiced it up a bit more, but instead they left it unfinished, incomplete, and hardly on the status of other FF tracks.

Wolf Kanno
06-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I sometimes wonder if we never get to see only bits of Ivalice cause the Team wanted to make several games about the world (a la Suikoden). I mean of all the stuff SE has produced, Ivalice has the most potential to become it's own stand alone world. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ivalice explored for some time while the main series continues.

Lynx
06-13-2007, 08:54 PM
i liked the game a lot. it had a short story but it worked well. its story style is very different form the rest. its technology ways are kinda like FFVI's have some high tech stuff but swords are the traditional weapon of choice. especially when you see the fmv in the beginning.

Xurts
06-14-2007, 03:49 AM
i liked the game a lot. it had a short story but it worked well. its story style is very different form the rest. its technology ways are kinda like FFVI's have some high tech stuff but swords are the traditional weapon of choice. especially when you see the fmv in the beginning.
FF6 didn't have advanced technology. Steam engines were just being discovered. That's hardly anything compared to what was in 12.

Nifleheim7
06-14-2007, 04:33 AM
ok,my opinions on the game so far...(i haven't finished it yet)

1.I'm not very thrilled about it's story.It's very Star Wars for my taste...Also (at least atm) i don't actually care about the characters,on the contrary i find some of them very irritating (Balthier)
2.The graphics are looking great,but this isn't a surprise for a Final Fantasy game...Again too much star wars...
3.The battle system i think it's the greatest aspect of this game.I like the way the gambits work and i think it makes the players to try and use some strategies in battle.
4.The soundtrack is good but i miss Uematsu.
5.Voice acting is excellent.

The game so far is good but i don't get the feeling of excitement of previous FF's.:choc:

atlanteay
06-14-2007, 04:44 AM
It's beautiful; characters, locations, objects, textures, etc.

Character development sucked a lot but it's not too bad.

Cledarius
06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Few things

1) The whole screen smashing you're mentioning? Not FF, so to say the battle system isn't FF, well, er, you're a bit wrong there.

2) The whole level system is crap? It's like the others..you earn so much EXP, you gain a level. Instead of AP, you learn LP.

Explain yourself a bit more dear >.o

First: Yes I liked the screen smashing / into-battle-zooming alot. The random battles and the victory dance, all these thing in all other FF's but not in FFXII. Perhaps I'm too taditionel.

Second: Sorry for being not so precise. Levelling is ok but my problem goes with the licence points. It's ok to use them for spells and techniks. But I think it's wierd you have to use them to be able to handle a weapon or wear armor. That's just wrong if you ask me. Also the licence board is far too small for my taste.

Hope I made myself clear, if not, just ask.

Rostum
06-14-2007, 09:05 AM
First: Yes I liked the screen smashing / into-battle-zooming alot. The random battles and the victory dance, all these thing in all other FF's but not in FFXII. Perhaps I'm too taditionel.

There's still a victory dance in Final Fantasy XII; it's at the end of boss fights. Please try not to be blinded by your fanboyism to the point where you intentionally do not see things happening in the game -- there are a lot of things in there that still make this a Final Fantasy game. The fact that you mention you are "too traditional" just shows that you hate change, and should just stop with the series now before you start to be even more disappointed.

Second: Sorry for being not so precise. Levelling is ok but my problem goes with the licence points. It's ok to use them for spells and techniks. But I think it's wierd you have to use them to be able to handle a weapon or wear armor. That's just wrong if you ask me. Also the licence board is far too small for my taste.

I'll agree with you that they could of made the license board a lot bigger, but there is in no way, anything wrong with having to spend points to use certain weapons.

In older Final Fantasy games, each character was only allowed to use one type of weaponry. The fact that you can let certain characters use the weapons you want them to use, is a great change that should be welcomed. You'd be surprised how much research shows that everyone loves to customize their characters.

By all means, it's okay to hate change, but only when it is for the worse (i.e. the lack of story and overall involvement in characters, though props for trying Square-Enix, was worth a shot). There is nothing bad about the change in battle and field mechanics.

Yeah. :(

Zeromus_X
06-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I thought it was a fine game. There were some plot pacing issues, but no game is perfect.

It's funny that so many people seem to say that this game is little in common with the older games (not that that would be a bad thing), there are so many references to the older games and so many throwbacks with game mechanics that it isn't even funny.

Setzer Gabianni
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM

Ye, that I can sympathise with. I can understand some people being clingy, so that's cool =]. You still get victory dances, but only after more important battles, which makes sense, seeing as it's a far more significant thing. Meaningless little battles really don't deserve victory dances, but thats jus me :3

Omecle makes a good thing about the License Points too - I won't repeat it though in my words <3

When I think about it..would Uematsus music really fit in XII? After listening to so much of his music now, I don't think music he would have done would have been the sort you'd hear in XII. Question - are Uematsu and Sakimoto two completely diff. types of composers?

Nifleheim, you find Balthier irritating? I must shake your hand <3
Did the NPC's/guests make up for good characters? o.o. It's nice to see you like the soundtrack, and that you enjoy the VA's too <3

atlanteay - <3 any particular fave characters?

Lookout, you're totally right as well - may I quote you for great justice?

Cledarius
06-14-2007, 03:15 PM
There's still a victory dance in Final Fantasy XII; it's at the end of boss fights. Please try not to be blinded by your fanboyism to the point where you intentionally do not see things happening in the game -- there are a lot of things in there that still make this a Final Fantasy game. The fact that you mention you are "too traditional" just shows that you hate change, and should just stop with the series now before you start to be even more disappointed.

I know that the victory dance still is, after boss battles. Hey I'm not stupid to "intentionally do not see things happening in the game". But thanks for thinking I am. Very diplomatic!
Nah I'm not here to argue with you anymore. I just said what I think. so don't criticise me.

In older Final Fantasy games, each character was only allowed to use one type of weaponry. The fact that you can let certain characters use the weapons you want them to use, is a great change that should be welcomed. ..

I know the older FFs too, so don't tell me.

The fact that you can let certain characters use the weapons you want them to use, is a great change that should be welcomed.

Yes indeed, but not in a FF if you ask me. That makes FF just like every other RPG or MMORPG.

You'd be surprised how much research shows that everyone loves to customize their characters

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all.

By all means, it's okay to hate change, but only when it is for the worse (i.e. the lack of story and overall involvement in characters, though props for trying Square-Enix, was worth a shot). There is nothing bad about the change in battle and field mechanics.

I didn't say it's bad to change, i just said i don't like it.
As said before, i just said what i think about the game and you're in no position to criticise me. Tell your thoughts but leave mine.

Renmiri
06-14-2007, 04:38 PM
You guys do know why there is very little technology on the ground while they have oodles of it on the ships, right ?

ok,my opinions on the game so far...(i haven't finished it yet)

1.I'm not very thrilled about it's story.It's very Star Wars for my taste...Also (at least atm) i don't actually care about the characters,on the contrary i find some of them very irritating (Balthier)
2.The graphics are looking great,but this isn't a surprise for a Final Fantasy game...Again too much star wars...
3.The battle system i think it's the greatest aspect of this game.I like the way the gambits work and i think it makes the players to try and use some strategies in battle.
5.Voice acting is excellent.

The game so far is good but i don't get the feeling of excitement of previous FF's.:choc:
QFT!!!!

Setzer Gabianni
06-14-2007, 05:28 PM
There's plenty of technology in most places, Bhujerba and Archades. Probably Rozzaria too.

Renmiri
06-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Setz, read the bestiary cards about the microscopic battery fiends ;)

Xurts
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Licenses make perfect sense. Needing a license to wear a hat or piece of armor just screams logic.

Bolivar
06-15-2007, 03:57 AM
Ivalice is a place that relies heavily on its laws - without them they have nothing. I thought the License board was a good open-ended way to customize your characters, that played into the storyline at the same time.

II, III, & V all had systems like that, where you could make any character anything you like. Even in the other 3 originals, you had a choice among different weapon and party types. So License plays out really well, because you have to advance certain paths while forgoing others in order to get a character really good at anything. That's what the early FF's were all about.

Captain Maxx Power
06-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I'm neglectant to fully recommend any game where the developers purposefully set out to make it so confusing players would be forced to look for outside help. Other than that FF12 is fun, but probably not up there with the best of them for me personally. I'll try some of the side quests and what not to get my money's worth, but ultimately it's not a game that'll stick with me forever.

Ko Ko
06-16-2007, 12:03 AM
I had no issues. This is the only game I can play over and over without screaming and always find something new and intruiging.

Wait, I lied, Vann is my issue.
But whatever!

Dr. Acula
06-16-2007, 01:50 AM
Wait, I lied, Vann is my issue.

I think Vaan was everyone's issue. I found him a bit irritating myself, but I always compare him to Tidus without realising (which is part of the reason I don't really find Tidus that annoying).

Music: Music was a bit repetitive in some parts, but other than that the soundtrack didn't bother me.

Characters: I like the characters. Ashe was a bitch but I still liked her, Balthier was just awesome, Fran was quiet but was also awesome, Basch was very cool, Penelo was cheery and perked up the team a bit, and Vaan had his good points (don't ask me what they are because I haven't played the game in a while, but I know he has some good points!) even though he was annoying. The only problem was that the characters didn't converse as much as I would have liked.

Story: Story was great. It was a bit Star Wars-y in some parts, but it reminded me of FF2, which brought back good memories (and I don't even LIKE FF2!). I can see why some people don't like it, though. It isn't as deep and involving as some previous FFs, but it IS still good. Mind you, I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know the full storyline.

Gameplay: By this time, I was kinda getting sick of random battles, so the new battle system was a refreshing change. I actually loved Gambits, it meant I didn't have to control every single character. I loved the fact that you could change characters in battle, and if your team died you had backup (even if it was low-level backup!:D ). The licence board system was pretty cool, but it did let you get a bit overpowered, and I wish it was bigger (my Balthier almost has everything on the board!).

Overall: I think this game is awesome. It may not be the best Square title, but it is still a great game and everyone who loves FF should play it.

...I feel like a proper reviewer.:D

Setzer Gabianni
06-17-2007, 04:58 PM
<3 Wait for mine, it's well overdue lol.

jammi567
07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Personally (having only played the game for a short while in), i'm finding the story really confusing, what with all those political motives and such. I'm just lost in it.

However, the battle system is brilliant! I like the way that there are multiple ways of making your characters do something.

ff is da best
08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
ff12 is da best game out there ...(well for me) out of all da new and cool games out there id rather just kik bak and play ff12 no matter what

Crizpy
08-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I was really dissapointed with this game.

You didnt really get a good "relationship" with the characters, and you just went from one place to another, listening to Ashes moaning and the bitch fucking about the damn mist over and over again.

The music sucked. Not one memorable (typo?) song at all.
When I play older FF games, I always get various tunes in my head. And they're good. I belive that FFIX had the best music, but thats a different discussion.

I really think games these days lacks the quality of the older games. This goes for games in general. Seems like all they care about is graphics and effects.

Theres a reason people are playing older FF games, why there are world tournaments in Street fighter, and why Starcraft is the most popular RTS let alone the most popular event on Korean television, 10 years after its release.
Thats just a general observation, and has nothing to do with this topic.

Bottom line, this game is probably the first FF I wont play more than once.

Renmiri
08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm playing VIII now and the difference on the soundtrack is so noticeable!!!

How they ever allowed Nobuo Uematsu out of their FF game soundtrack is beyond me. The guy makes even a 30 sec battle tune sound wonderful!

silentenigma
09-01-2007, 04:46 AM
It's better the second time around.