PDA

View Full Version : The PC...sucks

Griff
06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Yay for bandwagons!

Discuss.

f f freak
06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
It was only a matter of time. I like the PC.

Madame Adequate
06-09-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm quite fond of it, but my gods does it have some fanboys.

Hazzard
06-09-2007, 08:55 PM
It's good.

Dreddz
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
The PC is the old man who thinks he can still be hip but rather should have passed away years ago.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm very fond of my PC. :love:

fire_of_avalon
06-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Like I said in demondude's thread, Griff, give us some opinions to lead to a structured conversation, or else this thread gets locked.

f f freak
06-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Dreddz is the old man who thinks he can still be hip but rather should have passed away years ago.

Fix'd

DeStyle
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
That one's nasty :P.

Man, I LOVE the PC. Can you give me any downsides at all?
Say you bought a 600 dollar PC, you'd be able to run anything.
Alot of games eventually come out on PC. Internet rocks you,
measure the time you've spent just surfing on the web. It'd be
an obscene amount of hours for me. The PC is fully customizable,
moddable, etc. The PC allows us to download buy music,
without moving more than just our fingers. Heck, nowadays you
can find everything for free on the internetz.

KentaRawr!
06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
How can you just say the PC sucks? Too versatile to entirely suck.

Renmiri
06-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I loved my Mac but Windows is so much easier to find software for!

escobert
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I have no use for consoles anymore now that I own a decent PC why should I shell out $500+ every 2 years or keep a computer for longer and do MUCH MUCH more with it. I'll take a PC over a console anyday. and not only that mouse/keyboard pwns controlers.

ShunNakamura
06-10-2007, 03:56 AM
I will have to be a PC fan boy here. Nothing, to my knowledge has a large library of 'available' games as the PC (and I am taking emulation into account sense that is a valid thing in my mind as long as you own the game). So it can even play 'exclusive' games(actually, doesn't the PSP have working emulators as well? and I would guess the PS3 will have emulators made for it). They are usually easily worth what you put into them(after all they literally do anything you want them to just about); however, they can get a bit pricey compared to the consoles if you want to be able to play 'any' game.

I am not sure what 600$ would get you in a PC, but I am fairly certain that you would fall short of the PS3(if only cause the Blue-ray drives that I have seen all cost 400-500$). However, a maxed out PC can likely top the PS3 with ease, just expect to shell out a bit more[but you also get more]. I wouldn't be surprised if you would shell out more than 5000usd for a top end computer with all the super parts. And I would also bet that it would kick the PS3 all around(and good grief do those quad cores cost a pretty penny; and I so want one of them).

Anyways other than potential maximum power and emulation there is also the fact that any controller made for a console will likely find something similar(or a converter) for the PC eventually.

Of course the PC can be much more difficult for novice games to handle due to all the configuration and different specs. It also isn't as nice to developers who don't have just one set platform to work. Of course that right there is the wonder of emulation. Game makers get their potential market expanded for free(not all those who emulate buy there games but there are those who do have the ethics to buy the games they play). Not to get off topic but I find emulation far superior to playing on the consoles on average.

Spammerman
06-10-2007, 03:58 AM
Yeah, the PSP has emulators. My friend got Mario 64 on his.

Woodinator
06-10-2007, 04:03 AM
I have no use for consoles anymore now that I own a decent PC why should I shell out $500+ every 2 years or keep a computer for longer and do MUCH MUCH more with it. I'll take a PC over a console anyday. and not only that mouse/keyboard pwns controlers.

yeah but really good graphic cards are pretty expensive :/

ZeZipster
06-10-2007, 04:57 AM
I emulate console/arcade games on my computer but don't play computer games on it.

escobert
06-10-2007, 05:15 AM

yeah but really good graphic cards are pretty expensive :/

Mine was $135 and plays everything I have ever needed on full, such has Counter strike Source, Battlefield 2, F.E.A.R., Guild Wars, Company of Heros and Dawn of War.

blackmage_nuke
06-10-2007, 11:25 AM
A few years ago i would have disagreed, but since it brought me here...

Mirage
06-10-2007, 11:59 AM
PC for the victory.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-10-2007, 02:38 PM

But can a PSP emulate anything remotely as complex as this? :)

KentaRawr!
06-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Well it's bound to be ported sooner or later. :p [/sillyism]

But should emulation really be caught into the discussion? I mean, honestly, the computer just wins if that's the case. There's pretty much an emulator for every system. >_>

Discord
06-10-2007, 05:41 PM

But can a PSP emulate anything remotely as complex as this? :)

Makes me wish it ran faster than 30fps though.:(

Slothy
06-10-2007, 07:43 PM
The PC is the old man who thinks he can still be hip but rather should have passed away years ago.

The day the PC as a gaming platform dies is the day the FPS and RTS genres die. Honestly, they're not worth playing on anything that doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse as the standard.

Discord
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM

The day the PC as a gaming platform dies is the day the FPS and RTS genres die. Honestly, they're not worth playing on anything that doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse as the standard.

Well the fact that PS3 supports keyboard and mouse could actually be a good sign for a migration.

Griff
06-10-2007, 11:15 PM
The day the PC as a gaming platform dies is the day the FPS and RTS genres die.

If people keep putting out the same basic WWII FPS and RTS games every couple of months, that day will come very soon.

The PC is a troublesome gaming platform. It is expensive to upgrade and new capabilities make it obsolete usually within a year. The library is littered with bad FPS, RTS, and MMO games with only a handful of good games to make up for it (ie. F.E.A.R., WOW, Half-Life). And, as I believe someone previously mentioned, it has an army of fanboys. Anyone who has ever read anything I have posted knows... I... HATE... FANBOYS!

Please note, I only dislike the PC as a gaming console. I am quite fond of everything else a PC can do and/or download for me.

Slothy
06-10-2007, 11:26 PM
The day the PC as a gaming platform dies is the day the FPS and RTS genres die.

If people keep putting out the same basic WWII FPS and RTS games every couple of months, that day will come very soon.

The PC is a troublesome gaming platform. It is expensive to upgrade and new capabilities make it obsolete usually within a year. The library is littered with bad FPS, RTS, and MMO games with only a handful of good games to make up for it (ie. F.E.A.R., WOW, Half-Life). And, as I believe someone previously mentioned, it has an army of fanboys. Anyone who has ever read anything I have posted knows... I... HATE... FANBOYS!

The WWII FPS trend has been dying down over the last year or two if you haven't noticed.

Also, it's very rare that even mid range hardware is rendered obsolete in less than 2 or 3 years. If youhave a top of the line machine it generally will last longer. That's not to say it isn't expensive to buy these things, but at the same time, most people are getting a lot more use and functionality out of their PC than a console, so the expense is at least easier to justify.

Well the fact that PS3 supports keyboard and mouse could actually be a good sign for a migration.

The PS2 supported USB keyboard and mouse as well, but the problem was few, if any, games supported them. Playing a game designed for a controller with a keyboard and mouse is almost asbad as using the controller anyway. The gameplay is rarely designed with the speed and accuracy of the keyboard and mouse combo in mind.

Another plus on the PC gaming side however is the fact that it's a much easier platform to develop and release a game on which is great for small independent developers and home brew guys.

Discord
06-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Apart from that, PCs don't have fanboys. They have users.

CloudSquallandZidane
06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Gaming on the PC will always be superior to the console. PCs now have DX10. So once again its ahead of the consoles. Thats why consoles (for the most part) cost less than PCs. In closing PCs pwn.

Slothy
06-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Gaming on the PC will always be superior to the console. PCs now have DX10. So once again its ahead of the consoles.

Although DirectX 10 is cool from a gaming standpoint, it' a pretty big kick in the balls to users right now. Want to play a game that uses it? You'll be coughing up the dough for a DirectX 10 compatible card since it isn't compatible with any prior version of DirectX, and you'll need to upgrade to Vista. Want to play games like Doom 3, or the original Half-Life once you've got Vista? You'll have to run Windows XP as well since Vista doesn't support OpenGL. Thank you Microsoft for once again trying to use your size to push the competition out of the market and thereby screwing over consumers in the process.