PDA

View Full Version : Why Katie Holmes?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Do you ever wonder why Chris Nolan decided to cast Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes? Because it's extremely obvious that she couldn't hold her own with actors the caliber of Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Gary Oldman. I think the reason why Nolan hired Holmes is because Maggie Gyllenhaal was busy and they were behind schedule.

The audition probaby came down to Katie Holmes and Natalie Portman...Chris Nolan probaby chose Holmes over Portman because he didn't want his rendition of Batman to have a connection with the Star Wars prequels because let's face it the Star Wars prequels suck just like the first Fantastic Four film.

Bunny
06-10-2007, 04:03 AM
According to IMDB's Trivia page for Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan wrote the part of Rachel Dawes with Katie Holmes specifically in mind. There was no other actor approached for this part aside from her.

LunarWeaver
06-10-2007, 04:07 AM
I think she did fine in the part. I like Maggie Gyllenhaal better, so I admit I'm happy about the new choice, but if Holmes had stuck around I wouldn't have cared. Even the greatest actor will be bad if you think about it too much. If you just sit back and don't analyze her screentime, she's really just another actor like everybody else.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-10-2007, 04:08 AM
According to IMDB's Trivia page for Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan wrote the part of Rachel Dawes with Katie Holmes specifically in mind. There was no other actor approached for this part aside from her.

Really? Because on Wikipedia I read an article that said Natalie Portman auditioned for the role. And I think Katie was horrible because there were scenes in Batman Begins where she sounded happy when she was supposed to sound serious.

Miriel
06-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Holmes was definitely the weakest link. But it's not like the role called for THAT much dramatic acting anyhow.

Awhile ago I heard Rachel McAdams was confirmed for taking over the role of Rachel Dawes in the sequel for Batman Begins. I LOVE Rachel McAdams. But I guess they went with Maggie Gyllenhaal instead. Eh.

Peegee
06-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Really other than the scene where she slapped Batman, where else did she have to act?

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-12-2007, 05:22 AM
Really other than the scene where she slapped Batman, where else did she have to act?

Well there was one scene where her boss Carl Finch told her that Bruce was back in Gotham, she was supposed to look surprised but she didn't look surprised in my opinion......You see that's one thing Tim Burton managed to do better than Chris Nolan. Burton created a fictional character who doesn't exist in the Batman mythos, (Max Shreck) and he became just as compelling if not more so than the actual Batman villains and Batman himself.

Breine
06-12-2007, 09:29 AM
I think she did a decent job, but really who cares? Maggie Gyllenhaal is an overall better actress, for sure.. but if Holmes is as bad as you say she wouldn't get any jobs, and if I'm not mistaken she's been in several movies - and let's not forget about Dawson's Creek. Although a pretty crappy show, she was the only god damn tolerable character on it.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I think she did a decent job, but really who cares? Maggie Gyllenhaal is an overall better actress, for sure.. but if Holmes is as bad as you say she wouldn't get any jobs, and if I'm not mistaken she's been in several movies - and let's not forget about Dawson's Creek. Although a pretty crappy show, she was the only god damn tolerable character on it.

I'm not saying Katie Holmes is an overall bad actress I'm just saying I think she didn't do a good job in Batman Begins. She was a miscast just like George Clooney and Arnold Schwarzenegger IMHO.