PDA

View Full Version : Cathedral row over video war game

Odaisé Gaelach
06-11-2007, 02:25 AM
In chronological order...

Cathedral row over video war game

The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent PlayStation video game.

The Church says Sony did not obtain permission to use the interior in the war game Resistance: Fall of Man.

The game, which has sold more than one million copies, shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of enemies are killed.

Sony said it believed it had sought all necessary permission for the game.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Cathedral row over video war game (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6736809.stm)

Talks over cathedral gun game row
The Church of England is to hold talks with Sony over the entertainment giant's use of Manchester Cathedral as a backdrop for a violent computer game.

The discussions follow Sony's declaration that it sought and received "all permissions necessary" for the creation of the Playstation game.

Church officials dispute that and say the company was highly irresponsible to feature the cathedral.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Talks over cathedral gun game row (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6738669.stm)

Cathedral to demand Sony apology

Church of England officials will send a letter to Sony demanding an apology over the use of Manchester Cathedral as a backdrop for a violent computer game.

They will ask the technology firm to remove images of the building from the game, and to provide backing to anti-gun campaigns in the city.

A cathedral spokesman said the Church had received many e-mails of support.

Sony said it had "all permissions necessary" to develop the Playstation game, entitled Resistance: Fall of Man.

But Church officials dispute that, and earlier threatened legal action against the firm.

The cathedral's David Marshall said Church leaders would meet on Monday to draft a letter and discuss what other action to take.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Manchester | Cathedral to demand Sony apology (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/6739575.stm)

And, if you're interested:
BBC NEWS | UK | Fantasy meets reality in Church row (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6738309.stm)

Dragonface
06-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Cathedral people sould cheak that Resistance: Fall of Man is based on a real war. If not then not only they have leave Sony alone but also learn to grow up! Everyone knows 'When you don't like the game, YOU don't buy AND/OR play them!'

Odaisé Gaelach
06-11-2007, 02:54 AM
Cathedral people sould cheak that Resistance: Fall of Man is based on a real war. If not then not only they have leave Sony alone but also learn to grow up! Everyone knows 'When you don't like the game, YOU don't buy AND/OR play them!'

...What? You're not making sense.

Dragonface
06-11-2007, 02:57 AM

...What? You're not making sense.

I try by asking this: IS Resistance: Fall of Man is based on a real past wars?

Odaisé Gaelach
06-11-2007, 02:58 AM

According to the article, no, it's not.

Dragonface
06-11-2007, 03:05 AM

Well then...If you would learn then 'Story Lines' of that game, you'll find out that happens in the 1950s when the enemies from outer space attack mankind in a world war stye. That all the Info I know. Resistance: Fall of Man needs real places that there before 1950.

Rostum
06-11-2007, 06:38 AM

Well then...If you would learn then 'Story Lines' of that game, you'll find out that happens in the 1950s when the enemies from outer space attack mankind in a world war stye. That all the Info I know. Resistance: Fall of Man needs real places that there before 1950.

I'd hate to say it, but we didn't have a war against "enemies from outer space" in the 1950's.

Bunny
06-11-2007, 12:53 PM
This topic makes me groan with displeasure. I refuse to read the articles because I already imagine what they say. It is absolutely ludicrous that the Church of England is seeking, or actually I think it is more akin to demanding, monetary retribution for something of so little meaning. It is a game, it is not reality and should not be seen as such.

Also, did everyone else not learn about the great Arkanid War of 1950? In which British Paratroopers and other military personnel were forced to defend their country against invading aliens who were trying to assimilate themselves into society by breeding with regular humans? Never Forget.

Rostum
06-11-2007, 12:57 PM
This topic makes me groan with displeasure. I refuse to read the articles because I already imagine what they say. It is absolutely ludicrous that the Church of England is seeking, or actually I think it is more akin to demanding, monetary retribution for something of so little meaning. It is a game, it is not reality and should not be seen as such.

I'd hate to say it, but maybe Jackie boy is getting through to some people. (quite unfortunate really)

Madame Adequate
06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
One Church source told me: "If this computer game had been set in a mosque, you can be sure there would have been more of a public outcry.

Uh no, actually. I've heard no outcry over such things in urban combat games which have mosques in them (Battlefield 2 does, I'm pretty sure. Conflict: Desert Storm might.), or in games where you can kill people in mosques (Deus Ex: Invisible War), or even games where you can use war engines to destroy mosques entirely (Age of Empires II).

So. Be quiet. Also! The Church might wanna reconsider making a fuss about things on the basis that Islam would make a fuss about equivalent things.

Anyway, I see no reason to be upset. You're killing godless alien invaders who have desecrated most of Europe, Britain included, and pretty much every religious site therein. What better setting to expel an alien invasion than a symbol of Mankind as strong as one of our largest monotheistic faiths?

Bunny
06-11-2007, 01:59 PM

I'd hate to say it, but maybe Jackie boy is getting through to some people. (quite unfortunate really)

Excuse me?

Odaisé Gaelach
06-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I dunno... if the Church of England are right in saying that Sony didn't get permission to use the cathedral - and I'm not a solicitor, so I don't know the law - then surely a court will find in favour of the Church.

On the morals of using the cathedral itself, well, if GSC Gameworld can get away with setting a FPS around Chernobyl (mind you, they did have a lot of support from the plant) then why not Sony and a cathedral?

theundeadhero
06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
The whole thing is a legal battle over whether Sony had permission or not. If I was the church and they didn't have permission I would do the same thing.

Raistlin
06-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I would think the setting of a city, in which this church is a part, would be considered fair use.

tuh: I really hope you never have a bunch of money to hire lawyers, if you'd sue over anything like this.

theundeadhero
06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
It's the "photo-quality reproduction" of the inside of the place where all the murdering takes place. That's what they're complaining about.

Raistlin
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
So it's bad because the graphics are too good?

Anaisa
06-12-2007, 01:23 AM
What a bunch of drama queens. They should be pleased their cathedral is used, it's free publicity for the place. An religion has caused far more trouble than computer games ever have, so their in no position to start telling Sony they should make donations to an anti-gun crime group.

Slicksword45
06-12-2007, 01:38 AM
For the record, premission dosen't matter.

You only need to get copyright, or whatever it is for a building, while the arcatect is alive and the 70 years after he died. Thus, Church can't do nonthing.

Also, why do they care? last I checked you are DEFENDING the church!.

...in which hundreds of enemies are killed

hundreds? there were barley 20!

Madame Adequate
06-12-2007, 02:09 AM
It's the "photo-quality reproduction" of the inside of the place where all the murdering takes place. That's what they're complaining about.

Except it's not murder because A) they're invading evil bastich aliens and B) it's a freaking invasion force you're trying to repel, i.e. it's a war.

Odaisé Gaelach
06-12-2007, 03:21 AM
The whole thing is a legal battle over whether Sony had permission or not. If I was the church and they didn't have permission I would do the same thing.

I think that theundeadhero hit the nail right on the head in his first post. Really, it doesn't matter whether the Church of England should be happy to have their cathedral replicated in a game - that won't matter in the slightest if Sony have broken the law.

But Sony say they haven't. We'll just have to see how this pans out.

You only need to get copyright, or whatever it is for a building, while the arcatect is alive and the 70 years after he died. Thus, Church can't do nonthing.

Slicksword45, I'm curious, how did you find that out?

Ashley Schovitz
06-12-2007, 03:28 AM
What's the big deal is New York suing Rockstar for making a realistic simulation of their city where mass murders occur out of sheer pleasure? The Church is part of the city too isn't it like any other bulding there so I wouldn't see what's the problem,plus their exterminating the place for them they wouldn't want nasty aliens in there would they?

Jessweeee♪
06-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Oh dear :\

escobert
06-12-2007, 05:58 AM
What I read from a article the chruch was talking about how there's already soooo much gun violence there and they were making the game out as if it was a level in a shootout with children or something. Just plain stupid.

Slicksword45
06-12-2007, 09:00 PM

Slicksword45, I'm curious, how did you find that out?

My friend found the story and mentiond it

I was going to look it up, but I'm using my Ps3 untill my comp gets fixed and I don't want to wait for Google or Ask to load the list XD

fire_of_avalon
06-12-2007, 11:00 PM
The issue here is permission. If someone uses an image of the Statue of Liberty they pay to use it. Same for most things, actually. If someone "owns" the building, you have to have permission to use it. The question is whether or not Sony had permission. Seems like they probably didn't. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Nominus Experse
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
So... you have to pay to show an iconic site that is open to the public?