PDA

View Full Version : ATB vs. Turn-based battle

gothic_fantasy
06-11-2007, 07:15 AM
As you all know FF used the turn-based battle system until FFIV, which was the first game to introduce Active Time Battle. Although you didn't see the ATB meter in FFIV if you just stood around enemies would keep attacking you. This system continued from IV to IX, and then in the turn-based system was brought back in FFX. Personally I preferred ATB because it makes the battles seem more "real" in the sense that there is constant attacking and commands taking place between party members and enemies. Although some games were not as seamless as others (compare the agonisingly slow ATB in FFIX :mad: to the smooth integrated ATB of X-2).
When I played FFX I found it a little bit too much like chess...I could sit around deciding what to do forever while the enemy just parked off watching me until it's turn came. I could take this system in the old FF's I-III but somehow in X it just didn't feel the same. I was so relieved when ATB was brought back in X-2.
So anyway you guys just vote in the poll and post your opinion!
~:mog:

Peter_20
06-11-2007, 08:08 AM
I also liked the ATB system better, because it required fast actions.
the TB system (my own name for Turn-Based :p) found in the NES games was alright, but not that exciting; you basically gave all of your characters their orders and watched them execute the orders.
Bah.
The TB system found in FF10 is a tad different, IMO, because you control your characters one by one, rather than the whole party in one go.
That system wasn't too bad, although I would've liked to see the ATB bars and stuff.

However, I still prefer Real-Time battles to everything else. :D

Slothy
06-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I generally hate turn based and prefer the ATB system and the system in FFXII. That said, I loved the turn based system in FFX. Not only was it one of the more strategic systems, it moved quickly. Granted you could sit there and plan your moves for as long as you wanted, but it was rarely necessary. Those battles were some of the fastest outside of FFX-2 which made it a lot of fun for me.

jammi567
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
I prefer taking the time to plan my moves, locate where everything is, rather then having a mad rush of enemies are attacking me, i can't find what i want, the bam, i'm dead.

Elpizo
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I really like X's battle system. It's pretty fast, faster than most FFs with ATB at least and like said before: you can plan your moves should you need it.

XII's ADB is good too. Certainly fun for normal enemies, but somehow I find it frustrating for bosses, but that's probably just me messing my gambits up and all. In general I just prefer inputting my commands (YES pressing X over and over again, that never bothered me), but the lack of random battles were a great thing though.

Which makes me curious for XIII's battle system. It looks fast, yet they still promised that it could be played strategic as well. We'll see, we'll see...

samboo1
06-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Yeah i didnt mind X's battle system either really, although i voted for ATB, because it's more realistic and faster.

bipper
06-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I like ATB way better. DQ is for turn based.

Goldenboko
06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
ATB, active. It makes the game harder, and feel like kinda gives you a rush, sorting good players from great players.

Mirage
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Strictly turn-based combat is incredibly boring.

cloud21zidane16
06-11-2007, 11:28 PM
ATB, active. It makes the game harder, and feel like kinda gives you a rush, sorting good players from great players.

just what i was gonna put till i saw you put it:D

Formalhaut
06-16-2007, 06:44 PM
XII's is the best ever! But ATB is good as well.

gothic_fantasy
06-18-2007, 10:17 AM
How does XII's battle system work?
(I'm still staring at it longingly through the shop windows, who knows when I'll be able to afford it)

Nifleheim7
06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I prefer turn based.
ATB encourages button mashing imo...

Zeromus_X
06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
How does ATB encourage button mashing? Perhaps holding the confirm button down at times, but the ATB system was made so that you would be on your toes most of the time.

Nifleheim7
06-19-2007, 04:13 AM
If an enemy keeps attacking you (more than once) while you are thinking what will be the best strategy and your party is almost ko'd before you have finaly decided...someone (especially someone new to this kind of play) will start to keep pressing the attack button or overlevel his/hers characters in order to win the hardest enemies.
On the contrary turn based battle,i think encourages the player more to think and to form strategies in order to beat his enemies.

Anyway,both systems have their cons and pros...

Slothy
06-19-2007, 05:01 AM
If an enemy keeps attacking you (more than once) while you are thinking what will be the best strategy and your party is almost ko'd before you have finaly decided...someone (especially someone new to this kind of play) will start to keep pressing the attack button or overlevel his/hers characters in order to win the hardest enemies.
On the contrary turn based battle,i think encourages the player more to think and to form strategies in order to beat his enemies.

Anyway,both systems have their cons and pros...

I've yet to see an FF game that didn't let you pause or switch to wait mode, both of which give you time to think. Honestly though, if you're familiar with the battle system, it won't take that long to come up with a strategy. I think it encourages learning it inside and out while also forcing you to think fast on your feet and be responsive to change. Turn based really doesn't involve you planning any more carefully in my opinion since you're still left to respond to the unexpected; you're simply forced to do it slowly. The only real exception is FFX where there is actually a strategic benefit to the turn based nature of the battles.

Rengori
06-19-2007, 05:21 AM
I prefer taking the time to plan my moves, locate where everything is, rather then having a mad rush of enemies are attacking me, i can't find what i want, the bam, i'm dead.
It's called "Wait". Or try slowing down the ATB timer, it's under "Config" in most of the games with ATB.

Treasure Hunter Locke
06-20-2007, 02:26 AM
ATB for me. It makes the flow of the battle faster and more strategic.