PDA

View Full Version : OMG I AM VALEDICTORIAN!!! :)

tidus_rox
06-11-2007, 02:42 AM
Will it be me? Or will it be this really weird kid...

OK so here's the story.

I am nominated to be Valedictorian. I am soo happy! There is a few more kids in the running to be it but they aren't all that popular. There is one classmate who I am a bit scared of. Not because he is smarter, better looking or more popular, no. It's becuase he's that odd kid that always seems to be in my class. Now of course, all of the "cool" kids are going to vote for him becuase it would be really funny to see him say a speech infront of all those people.

So just the other day (when I found out I was in the running) rude comments started to come out. We were doing a project. All of his friends were siiting with him. All of my friends were sitting with me. Normal, right? Well, after a while, they started making fun of me becuase I am gay, right? The guy that I kinda like came over and started to make fun of me so much. He was like pretending to take off his clothes and stuff. Then whenever I walked over to where they were to get something or whatever they would be like "No Cody lovers over here!"

I heard my competitor (who I have nothing against) say "that dick sucker's going down!"

So during class... right in the middle of class - I began to cry. It was right when my teacher was explaining that we had to write a campaign speech. I had told him about what had happpened... but I wasn't so emotional the first time aorund. So anyways, I was crying infront of everyone... I was hyperventilating, at that. I fell on the ground while on my way to my next class. This girl that new about CPR and crap helped me breath. I had never cryed at school but I just couldn't hold it in anymore. The things they were saying about me were so mean... It was talked about with everyone at the office but get this - NO PUNISHMENTS WERE GIVEN OUT!!!! I was kinda ticked... :(

So what my questions are is this...

1) Do you think this breakdown infront of everyone will help? I spent like half the day in the office cooling down and explaning my story- when I came back to class everyone seemed really sorry for me...

2) Should (during my campaign speech) talk about this incedent?

3) Do you think I should win??

Thank you guys so much for reading this long thread and posting! Luv you all! :):)

Tavrobel
06-11-2007, 02:48 AM
Valedictorian only matters in High School; maybe College, but not quite nearly as likely, since College/Uni is all about specialization, not childhood friendships/rivalry.

1) A scandal is a scandal. Just pick up the pieces and move on. Dwell any more, and it's going to haunt you.

2) Depends on your angle. Also viable if you care only about revenge and not status, and would rather stick it to the person, all nice and personal. If you have to prove that you're smarter than someone, it isn't worth your time.

3) Does it matter? 8th grade means absolutely nothing, and you shouldn't even consider it to be anything.

Disco Potato
06-11-2007, 03:13 AM
That's kind of strange that no one got reprimanded...seems like something like that would fall under that Zero Tolerance policy that a lot of schools seem to (claim to) follow :-/

1. Unless a lot of people got the idea that the break down was a result of the teasing, and they actually saw the guy and his friends doing it, I don't think it'll help. Unless a lot of your classmates take pity on you, but from what I remember of middle school the students weren't very sympathetic types :rolleyes2

2. I don't think so, at least not in any great detail. It's a "take the high road" situation imo.

3. The other guy sounds like a jerk, to put it lightly. Good luck :jess:

3) Does it matter? 8th grade means absolutely nothing, and you shouldn't even consider it to be anything.

While it may not mean anything as far as lots of long-term recognition and scholarship and job opportunities go, I think it's pretty cool that you were one out of two people nominated out of your whole class. I'm sure it means a lot to you and your loved ones, and for now any recognition at all is great.

tidus_rox
06-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Thank you so much Disco Dancing Mascot (potato). I really appreacite it. We find out who wins tomorrow... I will be sure to let you know...

LunarWeaver
06-11-2007, 03:31 AM
I got all the same stuff in eighth grade and beyond, pretty much similar stuff that you described in various scenarios in various places, and nobody ever saw any punishment at all. At my school, even teachers would say "gay" as a synonym for "stupid" (like 'I know that sounds gay..." etc.). When I complained that saying that is the same thing as associating "Nigger" with undesirable, they told me I was being overly sensitive and it didn't mean anything and to get back to class.

So while I'd like to sit here and say your breakdown will fuel some sympathy and everybody will start to love you, it will change nothing. I had more than my shares of breakdowns, and the harsh truth is that nobody cares. In fact, all that happened was the other kids got even worse. Racism and sexism will land a student in all kinds of dragon fire, but heterosexism is pretty much ignored :smash: It's not fun, but there it is.

I am a cynical bastard, as you can see, and one day you will be, too. Because school will ruin you and squash out every last ounce of hope you have for the human race just like it does every gay student. The good news is one day all your emotions will die and you won't care what they say or do anymore and then it won't bother you like it does now.

Anyway, good luck in winning. Try to always keep mine that there's nothing different about you, only they make it so, and that makes it their problem and not yours. Anything they say or do is out of your hands, and the best you can do is try to be apathetic towards it all you can. As for the speech, I suck at speeches, so no advice. Congrats on being in the running and I hope you win.

:up:

Fonzie
06-11-2007, 03:37 AM
So you kind of cheated?

tidus_rox
06-11-2007, 03:52 AM
So you kind of cheated?

No... The breakbown was not planned. It was spontaneous and I didn't do it to win over people's votes. It's just, after it happned... I kinda thought "wow... now people might feel sorry for me and vote for me.." I was just wondering if you thought the same way.

And thank you for your post LunarWeaver

rubah
06-11-2007, 04:07 AM
I was Grade 12 valedictorian, and it was pretty well certain for a long time~

</offtopic>

Don't mention it. Then you're just whoring for pity votes.

nik0tine
06-11-2007, 04:09 AM
1) Do you think this breakdown infront of everyone will help? I spent like half the day in the office cooling down and explaning my story- when I came back to class everyone seemed really sorry for me...
When I was in 8th grade that would have absolutely guaranteed a loss.

2) Should (during my campaign speech) talk about this incedent?It's up to you. The outcome could be positive or negative, depending on how you handle it. If you want to play it safe, don't talk about it.

3) Do you think I should win?? You haven't given me one single reason to believe you are qualified for this, have you?

tidus_rox
06-11-2007, 04:23 AM
You haven't given me one single reason to believe you are qualified for this, have you?

Lol... I guess your right... but I can right now.

I have an 87 average. I am popular and I am a pretty funny kid. I recieved 3rd place in southern Ontario for the speech contest. I think that's reason enough? :):) Vote for me! lol

escobert
06-11-2007, 04:45 AM
I came in 71 out of 84 ^_^ although I did havea C+ average O_o

nik0tine
06-11-2007, 05:48 AM
I have an 87 average. I am popular and I am a pretty funny kid. I recieved 3rd place in southern Ontario for the speech contest. I think that's reason enough? :):) Vote for me! lolIf that's the case I probably wouldn't vote for you. An 87 is a B and that seems kind of low for the title valedictorian. What are the other candidates credentials?

theundeadhero
06-11-2007, 07:44 AM
1. If your school is anything like mine was in 8th grade it probably didn't help at all.

2. I wouldn't mention it. It really has nothing to do with what being valedictorian is really about.

3. I have no idea, and never will just knowing you from reading posts from the internet.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-11-2007, 08:04 AM
I have an 87 average. I am popular and I am a pretty funny kid. I recieved 3rd place in southern Ontario for the speech contest. I think that's reason enough? :):) Vote for me! lolIf that's the case I probably wouldn't vote for you. An 87 is a B and that seems kind of low for the title valedictorian. What are the other candidates credentials?

87 is an A- in university, or at least where I go to.

Anyways, I find it odd that grade 8 has a Valedictorian.

1. It really depends on the people. With the bully-types you'd lose votes, with the average student it is up in the air.

2. Best not to mention it.

3. I have no clue, but best of luck.

Valedictorian is part popularity contest, part grades and part who will do the best job, or at least in high school it was. Knowing 8th graders it will be more popularity than anything. :/

final fantasy is stinky
06-11-2007, 08:10 AM
dude you have an 87 average and your gonna be valedictorian? Wow I guess I should have been valedictorian in 8th grade too lol jk:love:

Cookie
06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
What the hell is a valedictorian?

PyroManiak
06-11-2007, 08:15 AM

urmum:mad2:

06-11-2007, 08:21 AM

urmum:mad2:

It is the last speaker at graduation. At the graduation there are two speakers from the student body. The salutatorian who says the opening speech and the valedictorian who says the closing speech. The valedictorian is usually chosen among the highest ranking students in the school, either by default the highest ranking graduate or elected from the top ranking graduates. The salutatorian is usually a top student as well, sometimes the second ranking graduate or the class president.

Cookie
06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Ah right, is it possible for the salutatorian and valedictorian to be the same? And what's there really to make speeches about in grade 8, isn't that age 12, 13?

PyroManiak
06-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Ah right, is it possible for the salutatorian and valedictorian to be the same? And what's there really to make speeches about in grade 8, isn't that age 12, 13?

No, thats the age of urmum:mad2:

06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Not usually. It happened that the salutatorian of my graduating class was a candidate for valedictorian (it was elected from the top 5 students). If she would have won valedictorian, the vice-president of the graduating class would have been the salutatorian. Or that is what the teachers said, but she did not win.

Anaisa
06-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Racism and sexism will land a student in all kinds of dragon fire, but heterosexism is pretty much ignored :smash: It's not fun, but there it is.That wasn't the case where I went to school. Sexism was considered normal, an if you would have complained about it, you'd just have been laughed at. Where as even if you said someone was gay an they actually were, there would be a big fuss about it.

blackmage_nuke
06-11-2007, 12:35 PM
I suggest you dont talk about it during the campaign unless someone asks, if you did it while going to another class then chances are word spread and everyone knows about it already

But i wouldnt be the best source considering i only found out what a valedictionary was 50 seconds ago. :p

~*~Celes~*~
06-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Don't mention it during your speech because people are going to think you're only out there for attention, as it has been mentioned, and it will make you look even worse.

Why do you guys vote for Val? In high school, it's about who has the highest GPA, not about who's more popular, who's better looking, etc...Plus, it's only middle school, so it's not like it's that vital of information just yet. When you can hold out a good GPA all four years of high school, that's something to brag about.

tidus_rox
06-11-2007, 11:59 PM

Lolz in Canada, that is actaully an A... (60-69 C, 70-79 B, 80-89 A)

Yeah... you get the picture... And I have the higest average in my class. (Maybe second highest... but the first place person isn't running) Oh and the other people are dumb... seriously... People just voted for them becuase they thought it was funny.

tidus_rox
06-12-2007, 12:06 AM
That's right! I listened to you guys and whipped up a speech last night. I didnt mention anything about my breakdown. It was a pretty good speech! The other people you either couldn't hear them, they stumbled alot, or their mom wrote it for them...

I FRICKING WON!!!!

YAY! I LOVE YOU ALL!!! :):):)

SnoopyG
06-12-2007, 12:11 AM
good job

Cookie
06-12-2007, 12:13 AM
Nice work.

Psychotic
06-12-2007, 12:14 AM
No real need to make a new thread, so they're merged. (so the double post is cool, people. It's cool as cucumber.)

Well, congrautlations, I guess, but my vote went to Barry Goldwater.

Tavrobel
06-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Highest ranked person in a class. This is an academic showing, and is based either solely on GPA, highest overall grade, or teacher recommendation. If your school system ranks students (by whatever means), then the person who is at the top is Valedictorian. Sometimes, it is a combination of all three. A speech is usually a part of it, and in this case, it is.

Saludictorian is second ranked, and sometimes gets a speech of their own.

Yeah... you get the picture... And I have the higest average in my class. (Maybe second highest... but the first place person isn't running) Oh and the other people are dumb... seriously... People just voted for them becuase they thought it was funny.

The picture is blurry, and its artist is blind even to himself.

Somehow, I highly doubt that 8th graders are capable of forming independent thoughts or actually capable of voting based on credentials as opposed to popularity. I don't believe that you have any grounds to call other people names or unintelligent, as you cried just because someone called you a homo (even if repeatedly).

While it is commendable that you came out (or not, in certain cases), you do have to deal with the consequences of that action. Favorable or not, it's what you chose and what you get.

If you want to complain about the system, then start acting to change it. Crying is all nice and everything, but if you want to change something, lead by example, or at the very least, don't fall into its traps.

Avarice-ness
06-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Are you american?

Because last time I checked no one -ever- voted for valedictorian, it was always done by the person with the highest grades for the year. > o

You make Valedictorian remind me of the high school's homecoming queen and king.

Goldenboko
06-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Last time I check Valadictorians are decided by grades... what happened?

Avarice-ness
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM

Yeah now it sounds like the valedictorians are the homecoming king and queen for smart people.

oddler
06-12-2007, 12:53 AM
Actually, it sort of sounds like Class President to me.

Avarice-ness
06-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Actually, it sort of sounds like Class President to me.

Yeah at my school class president weren't always the popular kids though, if you wanted to be the popular loved well known kid in school you were after the homecoming positions. Like, My student council prolly had 30 people so no one cared about those positions, my -class- had 900 people in it so it's like 30 people to vote on Class president and 900 people to vote on homecoming queen and king. :razz:

tidus_rox
06-12-2007, 01:44 AM
OK so here's the deal. At my school, they figure that the person saying a speech and REPRESENTING everyone... the kids should be the one to vote on who that should be... So we all say a speech onw hy they should vote for us... then they vote. They voted and I won. No I am not American! I am Canadian! :):) Lol... I am so happy, some of you are saying negative comments, :(:( Thanks for all of you who are supportive :)

Avarice-ness
06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Oh okay so then it's equvilant to the american class president!

Tavrobel
06-12-2007, 02:14 AM
Oh okay so then it's equvilant to the american class president!

Just like Canadian Bacon equals ham, eh?

blackmage_nuke
06-12-2007, 07:44 AM
I dont want to burst anyones bubbles or anything but most of the time i dont think people even listen to speeches, specifically those made by students, and even more specifically when students are the audience. Usually everone is off in their own world (at least from what ive seen)
So i guess im missing the point about this. Congratulations

06-12-2007, 08:07 AM

My valedictorian was elected from the top 5 students of the class. Some voted for who they thought would do best, others for friends, others to see if the person would fudge up, then some who voted based on academic standings. Incidentally the person who won was the top of the class, in other words me. Our graduating class president was the second highest ranking student as well as salutatorian.

We did not have to give speeches as to why we should be valedictorian though.