PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Nintendo Wii?

Momiji
06-13-2007, 03:15 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Wii, but I have a few questions before I get one. I thought this would be a good place to get some answers.

1.) The web browser, how exactly does it work? (Operation, Connections, Limitations...)

2.) Are the games any good? I'm looking forward to Twilight Princess, the new Super Smash Bros., and whatever the new Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum/whatever is.

3. What games would you recommend?

4. What is the online play like?

5. Name some things I should be aware of (bugs, glitches, mistakes, what sucks about the system if anything, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the answers. ^^

NINJA_Ryu
06-13-2007, 04:10 AM
2. I enjoy twilight princess quite well, DBZ budokai tenackachi 2 (dbz fan at heart) and also the new mario.

3. Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition!!!!!

the others, i cant help with ><

Jessweeee♪
06-13-2007, 04:23 AM
I'm thinking about buying a Wii, but I have a few questions before I get one. I thought this would be a good place to get some answers.

1.) The web browser, how exactly does it work? (Operation, Connections, Limitations...)

2.) Are the games any good? I'm looking forward to Twilight Princess, the new Super Smash Bros., and whatever the new Pokemon Stadium/Colosseum/whatever is.

3. What games would you recommend?

4. What is the online play like?

5. Name some things I should be aware of (bugs, glitches, mistakes, what sucks about the system if anything, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the answers. ^^

I'm thiinkiing of gettiing a Wii, too n.n

My friends just got one, and we had a lot of fun with it. I can't really give you much information, but most of the bugs are probably worked out of the system by now.

JKTrix
06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
1.) Opera Browser: Wii remote is basically a mouse. If you have to type text, you can use a prediction thingy that works fairly well. Still if you have a computer, it's better for general browsing. Works best for YouTube type services, particuarly if your TV screen is bigger than your computer monitor. Can also stream from iTunes (http://hackaddict.blogspot.com/2007/06/tutorial-itunes-on-wii-for-free.html), but I have yet to try this.
It's not exactly a system-deciding feature, but I guess it's nifty.

2.&3.) Wii's already 'flooded' with licensed junk, kids games and dumb minigame collections. Beyond that, there are a good handful of worthwhile games to play. The best Nintendo-made games on it are WarioWare, Zelda, and Paper Mario. Then there's the 3rd party stuff.
-DBZ Tenkaichi Budokai 2 is my favourite Wii game overall. In my first 2 months of owning the Wii, I would sometimes stop playing Zelda so I could get back to DBZ. There is quite the learning curve to this game, but if you stick with it and don't wuss out to the 'normal' controls it's very exciting.
-Elebits, while in the lower end of the 'above average' group, is still fun to play. Also, you can build your own stages and send them to other folks over the internet.
-Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion is a remake of a DS game and works very well. Even though it's a 1P game, you can kind of do 2-player with it ('Doctor' with the remote, 'Nurse' with the nunchuk selecting tools)
-Kororinpa: Marble Mania is too short. Basically you roll round objects around 3d mazes, and it works very well. You tilt the stage to get things moving, and it's not the simple Monkey Ball style. There are times you have to tilt the whole stage 90degrees or more to one side in order to just keep the ball level. It's the best use of the Wii Remote I've experienced so far, and the shortness of it is painful. Definitely try it at least.

I focused mostly on games out now or that will be out in a few weeks, but in the future (near and far) there are a lot of highly anticipated games. Metroid is out in August. Both Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl are expected to come out before the end of the year. The next FF Crystal Chronicles game, which looks awesome and totally different from the old game, is coming out eventually. Right now there's a Scarface game and a Godfather game. Neither are my cup o' tea but they seem to have been received fairly well.

4. Currently N/A. I think Mario Strikers Charged is out in the PAL areas, which is the first online game for them. Pokemon is gonna be the first online game for the US. Elebits has online elements to it, but not directly gameplay related.
The Wii Shop channel houses the Virtual Console and whatever other applications will come out for Wii.

5. Friend codes. The bane of Nintendo's online service in general (DS included). It will get more tedious when/if more and more online games come out. Nintendo doesn't seem to concerned with changing it right now.
Also, 3rd parties putting out lazy/bad games. Licensed games are generally a no-no but if you're going out to buy a game (for any system), do a little research first. Even if you don't go in-depth on every little title, at least look at a list of reviewed games and skim through the scores. Review scores are only one's opinion, yes, but if you see a game that's rated 4/10, it's probably safe to avoid that one.

Momiji
06-13-2007, 01:37 PM
1.) Opera Browser: Wii remote is basically a mouse. If you have to type text, you can use a prediction thingy that works fairly well. Still if you have a computer, it's better for general browsing. Works best for YouTube type services, particuarly if your TV screen is bigger than your computer monitor. Can also stream from iTunes (http://hackaddict.blogspot.com/2007/06/tutorial-itunes-on-wii-for-free.html), but I have yet to try this.
It's not exactly a system-deciding feature, but I guess it's nifty.

-Trauma Center: 2nd Opinion is a remake of a DS game and works very well. Even though it's a 1P game, you can kind of do 2-player with it ('Doctor' with the remote, 'Nurse' with the nunchuk selecting tools)

Oh, I completely forgot about Trauma Center. I loved the DS game, so I'll be sure to pick that up.

Okay, more about the browser: How fast is it, is it a Wi-Fi connection, or does it tie up phone lines? Oh, and does it cost anything?

Sorry, I just find all of this nifty new stuff to be confusing.

JKTrix
06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
The full Opera browser is currently free. Wii is a WiFi system, it doesn't come with any Network Cable ports. It has USB ports that you can probably get a LAN adapter for if you need it, but otherwise if you have wireless access already you can set it up for that. The speed is ok I guess, I haven't really noticed any sufficient load times. (The DS Opera browser, however, is slow as hell.)

Another thing about the online is WiiConnect24. You can put your Wii in sleep mode, and people can send you messages and stuff while it's in that state and connected to the 'net. When you receive a message, the Disc slot pulses in this sexy blue light. It's pretty cool. Nintendo also sends you messages, like informing you of new channels available to download or new firmware updates.

Momiji
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
The full Opera browser is currently free. Wii is a WiFi system, it doesn't come with any Network Cable ports. It has USB ports that you can probably get a LAN adapter for if you need it, but otherwise if you have wireless access already you can set it up for that. The speed is ok I guess, I haven't really noticed any sufficient load times. (The DS Opera browser, however, is slow as hell.)

Another thing about the online is WiiConnect24. You can put your Wii in sleep mode, and people can send you messages and stuff while it's in that state and connected to the 'net. When you receive a message, the Disc slot pulses in this sexy blue light. It's pretty cool. Nintendo also sends you messages, like informing you of new channels available to download or new firmware updates.

So...if it's a WiFi system, does that mean I have to have Wi-Fi access in my house already, or do I have to buy my own router (separate of my computer at my mom's house, which does not have Wi-Fi access for some reason). Sorry, now we're getting into hardware, a subject I'm absolutely retarded in...

KentaRawr!
06-13-2007, 03:15 PM
You'll either need a Wireless Router, or a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector. The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector attaches to your computer through the USB Port, and allows the Wii to use the PC's internet connection as long as the PC is online.

Momiji
06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
You'll either need a Wireless Router, or a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector. The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connector attaches to your computer through the USB Port, and allows the Wii to use the PC's internet connection as long as the PC is online.

Well, I have a Nintendo Wi-Fi connector, but for some weird reason, I can't get it to work on either of my computers at either house. I tried all of the suggested troubleshooting and everything. I just have Wi-Fi access at my dad's house because we recently switched our internet service, which now uses a router and I can connect from that.

I have NO idea how to connect a router or make one work. My computer at my mom's is in the basement, and my bedroom (where I'd like to have my Wii) is on the second floor. I'm going to need guidance on that ;)

KentaRawr!
06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
It was never too hard for me. o.o When I tried to get it to work with my DS, what I did was obviously install the software, then go into the online set-up menu in my Online DS game (Mario Kart). Then, I'd have it search for the Wi-Fi Connector, and on the computer it showed that there was a new user. I clicked this user, and granted permission to connect.

As for the Wii, it's basically the same thing, except you set up the online thing through an in-system menu rather than the game.

(Also, I highly recommend WarioWare: Smoothe Moves.)

ljkkjlcm9
06-13-2007, 05:14 PM
It was never too hard for me. o.o When I tried to get it to work with my DS, what I did was obviously install the software, then go into the online set-up menu in my Online DS game (Mario Kart). Then, I'd have it search for the Wi-Fi Connector, and on the computer it showed that there was a new user. I clicked this user, and granted permission to connect.

As for the Wii, it's basically the same thing, except you set up the online thing through an in-system menu rather than the game.

(Also, I highly recommend WarioWare: Smoothe Moves.)
yes well come people have a hard time because you have to enable file sharing for the Wi-Fi connector, and some firewalls automatically disable it. Before my computer got demolished and I got a new harddrive, I couldn't enable file sharing. Afterwards I could, and my wi-fi connector finally worked.

THE JACKEL

No.78
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I want a wii for pokemon, soul calibur and super smash bros. But I actually don't like the wii itself.

Mr.SimpleandClean
06-15-2007, 08:27 AM
My friend has it, and personally i only play it when i'm lookin to burn a few calories, otherwise its useless

JKTrix
06-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Ignorance.

People are just buying the wrong games.