PDA

View Full Version : New Tolkien book? HOW COME NO ONE TOLD ME?

Strider
06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
You want to know another thing that MySpace is good for? Exposure to things you might not otherwise have noticed. Case in point: The Children of Hurin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_H%C3%BArin), the newest book from J.R.R. Tolkien, as written by his son Christopher Tolkien from the elder's old notes.

Anyone who's read The Silmarillion knows the tale since it was mentioned in passing, but this is a version where everything is laid out in greater detail. And I didn't hear anything about it until today... Has anyone else picked it up, and if you did what did you think?

Tavrobel
06-13-2007, 09:37 PM
You want to know another thing that MySpace is good for? Exposure to things you might not otherwise have noticed. Case in point: The Children of Hurin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Children_of_H%C3%BArin), the newest book from J.R.R. Tolkien, as written by his son Christopher Tolkien from the elder's old notes.

Anyone who's read The Silmarillion knows the tale since it was mentioned in passing, but this is a version where everything is laid out in greater detail. And I didn't hear anything about it until today... Has anyone else picked it up, and if you did what did you think?

It was 22 pages long in the edition I read, the longest chapter in the Silmarillion. I hardly would call that "passing." I would imagine that if you read the Histories of Middle-Earth (Lost Tales I and II Lays of Beleriand), Unfinished Tales, and the Silmarillion, you should have a fairly complete picture of the entire ordeal.

However, I had noticed this about a week before it came out at Arda Dictionary, one of the sites I visit; a Wikipedia of sorts for LotR. But when I tried to go buy it, it apparently had not come stateside, so I have yet to buy it. And I even had a limited-time-only coupon for it, too.

Miriel
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I heard about this months ago. :p

I've yet to read all of the books in the History of Middle-earth series, so I won't be picking up this new book any time soon. I like the idea that there's still lots of Tolkien material for me to read.

Psychotic
06-13-2007, 10:19 PM
I've bought it, yet to read it though. Thinking of re-reading the Silmarillion first.