PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else constantly restart their favourite games from the beginning?

Peter_20
06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Right now I'm playing two vastly different games: Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy 10.
I always find myself restarting them and creating a new file, usually because I didn't play for long enough in one go.

When I play Dragon Warrior, I must finish the whole game without stopping (which actually is possible, because you can beat the game in 10 hours), or else I just restart it; in Final Fantasy 10 I must at least make it to Mi'ihen Highroad before I stop; otherwise, I restart that game too. :rolleyes2

Mirage
06-15-2007, 10:57 AM
You're strange.

I don't bother with getting to certain "checkpoints" before I stop playing. That's why there are a lot of save points after all. Also, I don't have the patience to watch ALLL THOSE SMURFING CUTSCENES 500 times.

Ramza Beoulve
06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Sometimes. Usually with Castlevania LoI, Megaman Zero and Megaman X games

No.78
06-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Not constantly, it's understandable with games like Final Fantasy X-2 or Pokemon... So sometimes.

theundeadhero
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
No I do not do so.

Dragon Warrior I? On the NES? Man, that game has some serious gold grinding. I usually get Erdrick's armor at lvl 13 and then go through the Dragonlord's castle as soon as I learn healmore.

Rostum
06-15-2007, 12:35 PM
No.

Well... Say I started an RPG and I left it for a week, then I probably would.

Elly
06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
i restarted FFVII five times before completing it, every time i would get to the crator and stop, not play for a few months and restart the game, but it was usualy because i missed something earlier, or everything wasn't 100% the way i wanted it before the final fight... i restarted FFX 3 times before finishing it, and i can't count how many times i've restarted and replayed Resident Evil 1&2, pretty much all for the same reasons i did it on FFVII... now Chrono Trigger i never stopped before finishing, i think it's the only game i have done that with, finished in 1 playthrough, but that could have been due to the knowledge that "New Game +" was there when i finished, i guess the knowledge of a reward like that waiting at the end was a motivation...

Ishin Ookami
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
All the time, if a game was sweet from start to end, why not, as the line goes, "play it again sam".

Of course I usually wait some months before doing so, just to bring back that sense of newness to the experience.

Jessweeee♪
06-15-2007, 05:25 PM
OMG YES!
I do that with like, EVERY Final Fantasy.
The three games I start the most are probably X, X-2, and Threads of Fate!
Threads of Fate you can beat one character's story in about four and a half hours if you know what you're doing and scroll through the cutscenes quickly. I got soooo addicted to it, I wouldn't play any other game for a few months, and I just played through both Mint and Rue's story daily!

EDIT: I was listening to ToF music when I typed this >.>

belkor_teh_magnificent
06-15-2007, 08:39 PM
When I first played FFXII, i got well into it, then the plot lagged soo much about the Phon Coast...so I stopped for a week...then had to restart. I need to keep the action pumping! Any cutscenes longer than 2 minutes has me switching over to the telly until i reckon its over.

theundeadhero
06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Phon Coast is when it starts getting good, unless the newbies drive you mad.

fantasyjunkie
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Not me, I'm a save point fanatic.

Lynx
06-17-2007, 06:30 AM
ive replayed ffVI, ffIV FFVII and FFT atleast 5 times each.

super metroid ive replayed atleast 30 times in the past 2 weeks but then again im working on a 100% speed run so far 1:13 100% just 18 minutes form the record.

10-Breaker
06-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I play FF games from the beginning many times.
Z.O.E: 2nd Runner I've played 'bout 60 times.
Ace Combats and Armored Cores I play through like 25 times before I get bored.

Spammerman
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I hate having to restart. My sister deleted my first playthrough of KH which was like gold on a memory card, and i had to do it over.

theundeadhero
06-17-2007, 03:00 PM
I did play through Ace Combat 5 a lot. That game is still awesome.

Garnie
06-17-2007, 03:02 PM
allways!
im very repetetive!

Kossage
06-17-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, there are some games which I just like to play through again and again every once in a while. For example, Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance are great for that kind of stuff, Fallout 2 and Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns can be quite addictive at times (and in Fallout's case it's advisable to play the game through more than once because of different plots taking place which depend on your actions, your moral stance and other kinds of stuff), and Seiken Densetsu 3 can be fun too if you're in a proper mood. But yeah, it depends on the game whether I'm going to play it through again or not. :p

Zeromus_X
06-17-2007, 08:11 PM
I like replaying my favorite games every now and then, but I don't think I try getting to a certain spot in one sitting. Though usually if I've played the game countless times, I can get reasonably far.

Necron
06-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Any of the Final Fantasy's. Often, i play them, then i just, can't be bothered to play again, and then when i come back to play it, i end up loading my save and thinking 'where am i meant to go now? Did i collect all the secrets in this save or not? I better start again just in case'. Even if i promise myself not to get bored and stop playing, it just seems to happen.

KentaRawr!
06-17-2007, 11:44 PM
In some video games I end up restarting from my last save point if I do something wrong in some way, that may make my record look a little sour at the end of the game. (Metal Gear) Most of the time, the last check point happens to be the intro of the game. So yeah, I do constantly restart my favorite video games.

Psychotic
06-18-2007, 01:04 AM
Metal Gear Solid 3. Probably played through the damned thing somewhere around 20 times, although maybe that is because I can beat it in under 2 hours.

Venom
06-18-2007, 01:50 AM
I play through Drakengard alot from chapter 1 all the way to 13.

Rengori
06-18-2007, 02:17 AM
If I didn't, I wouldn't base replay value on how bearable the first few hours are.

daggertrepe
06-18-2007, 03:07 AM
Not me, I'm a save point fanatic.

Me too.

Spammerman
06-18-2007, 03:53 AM

I do that if im trying to lvl weapons

Ouch!
06-18-2007, 05:20 AM
Only if I feel like there's something I didn't accomplish the first time around. For example, I replayed both of the Kingdom Hearts games a second time to get 100% completion. I started a second file of Final Fantasy XII to do the same (although I got fed up when I'd almost finished everything up and just moved on). I recently completed a play through of Twilight Princess in which I found all the heart pieces. Of course, now I can't be bothered with getting all the poes and golden bugs as well as completing the Cave of Ordeals a second time, so I just went back to the first file and picked up the one heart piece I was missing. I've also replayed Final Fantasy IX multiple times (more than any other game I've ever played by a long shot).

More often than not, I'll get bored and play through something only to abandon it half way through the game.

Venom
06-18-2007, 04:36 PM

I do that if im trying to lvl weapons

I just use one weapon through the whole game. I enjoy killing the soldiers more than the weapon leveling.